• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald's to pay rappers for song shout-outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4389751.stm
McDonald's has offered to pay top hip hop artists to incorporate the 'Big Mac' into their song lyrics. According to Advertising Age magazine, the fast food chain will pay rappers up to £2.80 ($5) every time a song namechecking the burger is played. McDonald's said the US deal reflected the appeal of hip hop to young people.

However, critics said the tie-up was "deceptive" given that the songs would appeal to children, for whom obesity levels have become a major concern.

A whole string of products has enjoyed huge success in the United States after rappers started dropping brand names into songs - although not for marketing purposes but bling boasting. Among the happy beneficiaries were brands like Courvoisier, Gucci, Dom Perignon, Bentley and Porsche. Artists who have 'referenced' well-known products include Jay-Z, 50 Cent and Snoop Dogg.

Advertising Age said that McDonald's would not pay an artist upfront but that they would be rewarded based on the airplay songs received in the United States. The company will have the final say over the appropriate lyrics but the singers will retain artistic control over how they are incorporated into the track. McDonalds said the initiative was in line with its 2003 global marketing campaign aimed at 18-34 year olds, which launched the slogan 'I'm loving it'.

Suranga3

According to Advertising Age magazine, the fast food chain will pay rappers up to £2.80 ($5) every time a song namechecking the burger is played.

McDonald's said the US deal reflected the appeal of hip hop to young people.

However, critics said the tie-up was "deceptive" given that the songs would appeal to children, for whom obesity levels have become a major concern.

BBC News

Fuck McDonald's, I'm sure Nelly will be the first one to sign up.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I've got stacks taller than Big Mac HOLLA

where's my $???

Coming Soon: Ronald McDonald Got Some Big Ass Titties

goodcow

Maybe they should spend this money on better quality food.

I'm vegetarian, but even when I wasn't, it was quite clear that Wendy's pisses all over McDonalds in both taste and value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom