• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was the *real* no.1 seller last week in UK

dugdug

Banned
Between this and Life Is Strange doing really well sales wise, this is great.

Hopefully we can move away from the guns and ultra violence and see some more creative projects.

stryke

Not sure where they're getting their data from, as I thought Sony kept those numbers close to the chest, but, well done to the Chinese Room, if true!

Either straight from The Chinese Room themselves, or maybe Superdata like they have in the past.

Worth mentioning that they likely don't have digital sales info for all games in that real top ten.

So while it's nice to see a chart taking digital into consideration, it's not 100 per cent accurate either.

I hope they're not confusing the ww sales with the uk ones.

There's usually seperate charts for PSN monthly sales by region, so I'd expect at worst it would be confusing EU sales.

They seem to have been pretty good at being country specific with digital sales per country in the past though, so I'd expect they'd not make such an obvious mistake.

Kyougar

The number 1 Title in individual Formats, Rare Replay, is approx. at 4420 Units. Its not a very hard feat to jump to number one in the summer.

dugdug

Banned
Yo, I realize we're in a slow period WRT big releases, but, are y'all trying to say it's not that impressive that a walking simulator might have sold more than GTAV and Minecraft if even for a week?

I don't know, if it's true, even if it's a small victory, I find it worth recognizing.

This is a nonsense. Not the fact that EGTTR sold more than any of the physical games - that is newsworthy enough - but the fact they spin it as if it is a great injustice (with the "real" charts), but the Chart Track covers physical copies alone, and always has. They can't just take some digital only game and plonk it at the top of the chart. They would have to adjust every other title in the chart with their digital sales too!

Certinty

Hopefully that means that EGTTR did pretty well.

This really was the golden time for Sony to release Until Dawn though. There was quite a gap between Arkham Knight and Metal Gear Solid V.

pswii60

I find it hard to believe that such a niche game would sell so well in the UK alone to beat mainstream multiplatform games within a week, but if it is indeed the case then perhaps gaming is saved after all :)

Either that, or mainstream (console) gaming is dead. One or the other :D

I find it hard to believe that such a niche game would sell so well in the UK alone to beat mainstream multiplatform games within a week, but if it is indeed the case then perhaps gaming is saved after all :)

UK here - My sister - who knows very little about games and owns no console - asked me about this game saying she wanted to play it.

So they must be doing something right in the marketing.

Chobel

The number 1 Title in individual Formats, Rare Replay, is approx. at 4420 Units. Its not a very hard feat to jump to number one in the summer.

We know it's more than 4420, but we don't know how much more than 4420. The number is low though, probably around 5K.

border

How does a retail sales tracker know anything about what a digital-only game sold?

Is it possible to come up with sales numbers by scraping Trophy data?

Jito

Banned
If it's sold so much, I imagine a ton of people are going to be disappointed by it. It's really not a game for the masses. It's a game for people who have never watched Emmerdale.

How does a retail sales tracker know anything about what a digital-only game sold?

Sony may well have told them the figures themselves. Or one of the devs. A bit of back door PR?
I'm sure all these industry people hang out together. Some offhand comment to an MCV journo and bam, they have a story for the slow season.

MCV probably asked The Chinease Room "did you sell more than 5,000 copies of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture to UK people?" and evidently TCR responded "yes".

Must have been a really shit week for chart sales then.
Bout to just put a video of myself walking around the beach in green light. People will eat it up
If it's sold so much, I imagine a ton of people are going to be disappointed by it. It's really not a game for the masses. It's a game for people who have never watched Emmerdale.

Really a shame to see these type of posts on a gaming enthusiast forum. We should be happy to get some more diversity. There are plenty of opportunities to run and gun.

Jito

Banned
Really a shame to see these type of posts on a gaming enthusiast forum. We should be happy to get some more diversity. There are plenty of opportunities to run and gun.

Never said I had a problem with these types of game. For starters I bought it and played through it myself. Doesn't change the fact it's not a very good game.

Or maybe EGttR is based on an English village? Just a thought.

I assume it's this as well, that's what sold me on the game.

Or maybe EGttR is based on an English village? Just a thought.

border

And next week when this game is inevitably outsold by Madden, I wonder if someone will say "Hopefully we can move away from amorphous blobs of light performing a dull audio drama, and more towards realistic sports simulations."

Top Bottom