• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior 5 at MechCon 2018 [Release Date, New Trailer, Co-Op Gameplay]

Fuck it I'm getting it. Pitty to hear about the music/voice acting though. This is basically an action version of BattleTech and they nailed the music/voice acting.

Just had it hard lock on me during a mission extraction. I was gonna replay it anyway cause I had my auto cannon blown off, hopefully it's a one off.
Having fun so far, it's no cakewalk that's for sure. My centurion was beat to shit on my last sortie. A lot of that is me adjusting to the controls, I'm not typically a kb+m guy.

Reactions: Isa

Salvatron

I reviewed it for ACG.
LOTS to like here but also a lot of technical issues, and to be honest it can get repetitive especially in the campaign. WIth coop and instant action thats helped.
For me I still rated it a Wait for a Sale but those knowing these things and getting into it. May be very happy.

This review really makes me hesitate. I'm right on the cusp of purchasing. Right on that razor's edge of should I buy or should I wait. Like I really want this game (there arent enough mech titles) and kind of got a sense of how grindy the title can be from this review, but am not sure I'm deterred enough to wait. The voice acting does sound like a sour spot, but the artwork really speaks to me, especially in terms of character portraits. Ugh! So many games popping off.

Karak

This review really makes me hesitate. I'm right on the cusp of purchasing. Right on that razor's edge of should I buy or should I wait. Like I really want this game (there arent enough mech titles) and kind of got a sense of how grindy the title can be from this review, but am not sure I'm deterred enough to wait. The voice acting does sound like a sour spot, but the artwork really speaks to me, especially in terms of character portraits. Ugh! So many games popping off.
I mean I would get it then. It takes AWHILE to notice that repetition and if the other stuff doesn't bother you. jump on it

Another hard freeze, this one in the middle of a mission. I only skimmed a few reviews, but I don't recall seeing stability issues, maybe I'm just lucky.

no impressions yet eh?

I played a bit yesterday, its definitely got a few rough edges. "AA" title so to speak. You can see they spent money on stuff like core gameplay, and not a lot on stuff like cutscenes etc. Feels a bit like MWO but I haven't played that in years. Mechs have a weight to them, but I wish there was a little bit more feedback when you Mech loses an arm or something for instance. Camera shake from the explosion or something. Also the weapons like the Autocannons or LRMS needs a bit more oomph to the sound they make. Firing a 150mm rounds should have been a real party pleaser.

I like it so far though, but I'm a big BattleTech fan.

On a side note, use something like reshade to apply sharpening. I found the sharpening you can enable in the graphics settings way too strong.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How are the joystick controls, they were really bad in MWO compared to the immediate response and feedback - yet still appropriately limited by the mech's capabilities - seen in MW4. It looks alright here (though he has trouble aiming for sure) but it's hard to tell without playing.

Last edited:

Karak

So he doesnt even play all the games he reviews , he has people doing them for him (with some games)?.
He who? That is me lol.

I played a bit yesterday, its definitely got a few rough edges. "AA" title so to speak. You can see they spent money on stuff like core gameplay, and not a lot on stuff like cutscenes etc. Feels a bit like MWO but I haven't played that in years. Mechs have a weight to them, but I wish there was a little bit more feedback when you Mech loses an arm or something for instance. Camera shake from the explosion or something. Also the weapons like the Autocannons or LRMS needs a bit more oomph to the sound they make. Firing a 150mm rounds should have been a real party pleaser.

I like it so far though, but I'm a big BattleTech fan.

On a side note, use something like reshade to apply sharpening. I found the sharpening you can enable in the graphics settings way too strong.
Ya pretty much my consensus as well. Also whatever companies are using for their in engine sharpening does always seem to be WAY to strong even at its lowest levels. Not sure what they are using or what system

Last edited:

Alexios

Meh, I just asked about joysticks on the RockPaperShotgun review of the game and the reviewer's reaction was "fuck joysticks, I'll keep my money" as if I said the game should not be playable with a mouse or anything of the sort.

They liked it btw, though it reads more like a preview than a review, even pondering if it's gonna be a game that keeps you coming back due to the limited mission variety and things or whatever, as if a review shouldn't conclude it?

At least someone there informed me of how the guns/arms are independent of the torso and legs so that mouse aiming is kind of integral to the core of the gameplay which means you're probably gimped if you do use a joystick.

Last edited:

Karak

Oh are you ACG?, sorry. When you said 'I reviewed it for ACG. ' i thought you meant you reviwed it for him as he was busy or something, a bit like Delrith stealth reviews some games for AngryJoe lol.
No worries. I saw it that way because I changed names long ago and it sort of stuck to say. "I am now ACG." Also since my username is Karak but the channel is ACG I sometimes have to make it clear to game devs and such

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Yeah I like it so far but it doesn't feel like a game I have to devour like Jedi Fallen Order. My one feedback on the weapons so far is that I don't like the look of the lasers, they seem insubstantial or something, like sort of translucent. The look seems off compared to MWO. Playing this game reminds me of how much fun I had with MWO and how I wish the MMO aspect of it (faction war etc) had really taken off.

V4skunk

Banned
How are the joystick controls, they were really bad in MWO compared to the immediate response and feedback - yet still appropriately limited by the mech's capabilities - seen in MW4. It looks alright here (though he has trouble aiming for sure) but it's hard to tell without playing.

Joystick is bad in all Mechwarrior games to be honest. Using a mouse and keyboard offers much better control and accuracy.

Edit: The game is worth while if you are a Mechwarrior fan! It does exactly what it says on the tin...
I can see my self playing for a hundred hours easily.

Last edited:

Alexios

Joystick is bad in all Mechwarrior games to be honest. Using a mouse and keyboard offers much better control and accuracy.
Pure BS. Maybe it wasn't great in 3 but 2, 4 and 4 Mercs are excellent with one, aiming is great, response immediate and they feel like mechs rather than a slightly clunkier standard FPS with a mech theme (though to be fair even the worst MW isn't as close to that as Hawken was).

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Pure BS. Maybe it wasn't great in 3 but 2, 4 and 4 Mercs are excellent with one, aiming is great, response immediate and they feel like mechs rather than a slightly clunkier standard FPS with a mech theme (though to be fair even the worst MW isn't as close to that as Hawken was).
If you played online in mw4 or mwo with a stick you'd get wrecked.
Mw5mercs throws enemies at you as well.

Last edited:

Alexios

If you played online in mw4 or mwo with a stick you'd get wrecked.
Wtf? More tales from your ass? No, you wouldn't get wrecked in 4. There's no free aiming as in 3, a mouse doesn't even have a theoretical advantage to gain over a joystick in that scenario beyond a user's own potential subjective convenience and preference. You control machinery with preset max speed and agility in each of its parts, not playing Quake 3. And MW4/Mercs solo also "throws enemies at you", what is this, that whole combined arms warfare atmosphere is what MW5 also attempts to provide, but the previous games did too, have you even played them and if yes why lie?

And yes MWO was quite shit in that, it even launched without joystick support, have you even been reading my posts before replying? That's what started the whole thing, the hope that it's better than MWO in that regard, so it's not a retort of any sort to bring up how MWO is bad with one. Just like if you play with a stick in War Thunder you'll get wrecked, that doesn't mean it's a good thing or good game design if a mouse controls a freaking plane better than a stick (at least in War Thunder you can lock to stick only plays or play coop, etc. and the sticks actually function great as intended).

If they had at least included VR support then even with mouse-centric free-aiming controls you could perform with a joystick/hotas by relegating the mouse aim to head (or in the near future eye) tracking independent from the machine parts as you can in Vox Machinae, a passable compromise.

Last edited:

Makariel

Are you a fan of the franchise? If so, I'd say it's worth it.
I play Battletech since 1995, on tabletop (over beer and pizza as well as at tournaments), as RPG, in various digital iterations (played most things that have "mech" in the title at some point). I have one RPG/Tabletop campaign that has been going on more or less continuously since 2002 (in-game we started in 3024 and are currently in 3061, with some of the currently active characters being sons and daughters of the original characters that started in 3024). Despite this I find myself a bit hesitant to "just buy it". Partly because I find it more difficult to be excited by a flatscreen game (since I jumped into VR), partly because of the Epic store timed deal, partly because of Piranhas' track record.

V4skunk

Banned
I play Battletech since 1995, on tabletop (over beer and pizza as well as at tournaments), as RPG, in various digital iterations (played most things that have "mech" in the title at some point). I have one RPG/Tabletop campaign that has been going on more or less continuously since 2002 (in-game we started in 3024 and are currently in 3061, with some of the currently active characters being sons and daughters of the original characters that started in 3024). Despite this I find myself a bit hesitant to "just buy it". Partly because I find it more difficult to be excited by a flatscreen game (since I jumped into VR), partly because of the Epic store timed deal, partly because of Piranhas' track record.
Piranha have done well regarding the mwo debacle though. The best thing they did was splitting with that publisher that helped them originally fund mwo.

My orginal Battletech experience was tabletop as well, I'm having a lot of fun so far. They've made a lot of changes in the name of gameplay, particularly in ammo loadouts, having only 10 rounds for your AC wouldn't fly here.
I'm baffled by the lack of vr for this game, I assume it was a budgetary constraint. All cockpit sims are perfect for it, this game in particular I feel.

Have you checked out the Battletech game from Harebrained Schemes yet? I'm a long time tabletop battletech player and this game with mods is absolutely amazing.

Makariel

Have you checked out the Battletech game from Harebrained Schemes yet? I'm a long time tabletop battletech player and this game with mods is absolutely amazing.
Of course :) haven't played the latest expansion yet though. Might get that for the holidays, instead of MW5.

Gp1

Played some missions yesterday.

It's just me or this game have some sort of atrocious motion blur/Blury AA method?

Something is not right with the graphics in this game.

ps. Mission gameplay otherwise... they nailed it...

Last edited:

Gp1

just to be sure, always put AA at maximum, sharpening off and put a sharpness filter via reshade or nv ansel filter.

visual improves a lot

V4skunk

Banned
I have a few rare and hero mechs now. Awesome 8q that can almost continously salvo fire ppc's...It wrecks everything....In mwo this mech is heavily gimped. I also got a rare Crab 27b full of double heat sinks and ER large lasers. A couple of doubles were donated to the Awesome and the ER lasers swapped out for regular larges.
Got a hero Jenner full of missile slots with srms, it pwn fucks everything while blasting about at 130kph.
All in all having fun.
I also suggest high/ultra AA settings for best image quality! Off/low/medium AA has horrible dithering.
Also the only difference between high and ultra textures is lower fps.

Last edited:

Alexios

I just read the game constantly randomly spawns cannon fodder like tanks and turrets in the missions all around you, what kind of design decision was that and how do you tactically deal with it other than just be guns blazing every time all the time? Also, it seems lots of people are actually growing to hate it, even many that actually liked MWO and also enjoyed 5 initially. The forums are full of critical complaints and the metacritic user rating is growing worse over time. There are no user reviews on EGS to check with that of course. And no there isn't any petty review bombing reason, just people genuinely not enjoying a game they were hyped for :(

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
I just read the game constantly randomly spawns cannon fodder like tanks and turrets in the missions all around you, what kind of design decision was that and how do you tactically deal with it other than just be guns blazing every time all the time?

Sounds like shit mission design and a lazy way of filling in large areas of boring empty space and increasing the difficulty without the need to rebalance the mechs and weapons.

V4skunk

Banned
I just read the game constantly randomly spawns cannon fodder like tanks and turrets in the missions all around you, what kind of design decision was that and how do you tactically deal with it other than just be guns blazing every time all the time? Also, it seems lots of people are actually growing to hate it, even many that actually liked MWO and also enjoyed 5 initially. The forums are full of critical complaints and the metacritic user rating is growing worse over time. There are no user reviews on EGS to check with that of course. And no there isn't any petty review bombing reason, just people genuinely not enjoying a game they were hyped for :(
Yeah enemy spawns are bugged. Most of the times they appear just behind you. Some times a drop ship drops them in like 1km away but it is rare.
It isn't too bad, but it is annoying when you think you have moved into a good position to ambush the enemy for them to spawn in your lance.

Nydus

ah damn. i played MW4 competitive back in the day and had really hoped we would get another good mech game since MWO is not really my thing :(

I'm about 70 hrs in and the core gameplay loop of doing missions for C-bills, buying bigger mechs and better equipment with said C-bills, and outfitting mechs with different builds are quite fun.

And with over 50 mechs including Hero mechs there is quite a lot of content especially for a Battletech fan.

- Update on its way adding lots of features streamling/simplifying modding.
- 2 DLCs planed, first one in April(ish), and will focus on making campaign more repayable like not forcing you down a certain path due to rep .
- Free and paid for content will be added, Mechs and equipment.

All in all sounds like they plan to support the game for quite a while.

I will pick this up at some point. Tried AAA mainstream gaming with RDR2 and got my fingers burnt as I'm bored. Games like this is what PC gaming is all about (WH: Total War on my list too).

Gp1

- Update on its way adding lots of features streamling/simplifying modding.
- 2 DLCs planed, first one in April(ish), and will focus on making campaign more repayable like not forcing you down a certain path due to rep .
- Free and paid for content will be added, Mechs and equipment.

All in all sounds like they plan to support the game for quite a while.

It chills down my spine when I see Piranha and paid content in the same phrase...

Mw5 is a game that have a good gameplay (and a good soundtrack) that mess up in every other aspect.
The should fix the respawn problem and AI before anything else.

Top Bottom