• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries (Mech_Con 2017 Teaser)

Shifty

Been getting into the series lately with 4: Mercs and 2, and 5 is looking pretty damn good. Can't wait to have a proper mech simulator that'll run on modern PCs without compatibility wrangling.

That MechWarrior 2 inspired boot sequence. Lovely.

Searched around and couldn't find a thread. Blow off my limbs and take me as a bondsman if old.

Last edited:

e0n

Other mech games in 2018?

From what I can remember,

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries
BattleTech - turn-based strategy
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - maybe an adventure game with tactical elements
Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner rerelease - hack and slash
Left Alive - An action shooter likely to involve hunting down mechs

They're not all pure mech games, but all seem to offer different takes.

From what I can remember,

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries
BattleTech - turn-based strategy
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - maybe an adventure game with tactical elements
Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner rerelease - hack and slash
Left Alive - An action shooter likely to involve hunting down mechs

They're not all pure mech games, but all seem to offer different takes.

All of them are totally diffErent in gameplay.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Also Mechwarrior Living Legends continues to stand up to it's name in 2018 by not dying, and even releasing updates with new content.

Monumental shame this doesn't have a proper damage model. This type of game would be enhanced immesurably with one.

Cos you're in this big ass stonking mech that is capable of wreaking untold destruction but you dont fully get that sense in the trailer.

At least there should be a pretty comprehensive damage model on the mechs if the environment is sterile in terms of physics. Imagine being able to blow off arms or legs from enemy mechs. Would be more thrilling than you could imagine but devs and gamers collectively are like brain-dead when it comes to realising high level physics (destructability) is the next gameplay gamechanger and not 4K, 8K res textures.

Monumental shame this doesn't have a proper damage model. This type of game would be enhanced immesurably with one.

Cos you're in this big ass stonking mech that is capable of wreaking untold destruction but you dont fully get that sense in the trailer.

At least there should be a pretty comprehensive damage model on the mechs if the environment is sterile in terms of physics. Imagine being able to blow off arms or legs from enemy mechs. Would be more thrilling than you could imagine but devs and gamers collectively are like brain-dead when it comes to realising high level physics (destructability) is the next gameplay gamechanger and not 4K, 8K res textures.

Huh? Maybe it doesn't come across in the trailer, but there's pretty much a guarantee that that mechs will have destructible limbs. I mean, that's basically a core tenant of MechWarrior gameplay. It was core tenant of MechWarrior Online when Piranha made that game.

Shifty

Also Mechwarrior Living Legends continues to stand up to it's name in 2018 by not dying, and even releasing updates with new content.
Unfortunately they removed DirectInput a couple of versions ago, so configuring anything more complex than a 360 pad or KB/M is a fucking nightmare. That, and the torso pitch and twist straight up don't work unless you map them to a mouse.

Source: RIP last weekend. I just wanna play it with my HOTAS :(

MechWarrior's had an in-depth damage model since the DOS era.

Bottom-left of the HUD, those are per-limb health indicators. The player's mech has actually had its arms and their associated weapons blown off in the scene at 1:42.

Last edited:

This is almost certainly going to be same as MWO as far as mech driving is concerned so there will be mech damage. Will be interesting if they return some of the weapons that were balanced in mwo for multiplayer to be closer to their orginal form.

WaterAstro

I know some of the devs, and they are hardcore Mechwarrior fans that even play the paper and pen Battletech. Didn't know they were making a standalone title. I wonder what Microsoft's role might be in this since they should still own FASA.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If someone wants to make a new thread, please.... I messaged someone for it but he's not been online yet. There's more coverage out there, this is to start you off.

https://inerd4u.com/blogs/news/mechwarrior-5-release-date-cover-art-new-trailer-and-screenshots

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/12/02/mechwarrior-5-mercenaries-release-date-announced/

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/mechwarrior-5-release-date-revealed-read-our-lates/1100-6463578/

https://screenrant.com/russ-bullock-interview-mechwarrior-5/

Man it looks great if not quite super-modern and polished yet, but it feels like I've been waiting for a game like this forever.

I'll keep being worried until I get to play this myself but watching those guys play the co-op mode with a hotas (it's the relatively cheap yet good Thrustmaster FCS hotas btw) totally makes it look like a MW4: Mercenaries with new graphics. The control appear to be spot-on. Personally I love the joystick controls in MW4 but I never got the feel quite right in MW Online so I was really worried but they seem to be doing it right this time. Fingers doubly-crossed!

Last edited:
September next year......I think this is damn near a decade long dev cycle. I hope the single player is good, but I'm gonna have to buy this unless it looks like a total trainwreck at launch.

V4skunk

Banned
MechWarrior online is also active and receiving regular updates.
To the guy in the post above! Piranha have only been making this game for a few years. An older game was being made, I think it ran into licensing issues and got canned.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't know why but I never like Mech designs in Mechwarrior series.

I hate designs like these:
mechwarrior-catapult-bobcat-3d-model-print-00.jpg

I'm more fan of theses:
Banner-daemon-x-machina-RedCity.jpg

a04541bdc934a844e0051c1945e7977d_1920_KR.jpg

Alexios

MW has quite a lot of variety, there are more humanoid-looking mechs as well, which hold their guns on mecha-hands, watch the trailers or something. But I like both. Western mechs have that walking-tank feel which also translates to the gameplay when done right as in MW2-4 so in that style I prefer mechs like those you hate, while, anime is, well, anime, and they do all kinds of crazy shit like super heroes. You could make more MW-style mechs when playing something Japanese like Armored Core as well usually though. Even going as far as giving them tank style treads or four instead of two legs etc.

Last edited:

Danjin44

MW has quite a lot of variety, there are more humanoid-looking mechs as well, which hold their guns on mecha-hands, watch the trailers or something. But I like both. Western mechs have that walking-tank feel which also translates to the gameplay when done right as in MW2-4 so in that style I prefer mechs like those you hate, while, anime is, well, anime, and they do all kinds of crazy shit like super heroes.
you mean these
mechwarrioronlinesolaris-1280-1523658471803_1280w.jpg

Yeah.......no, it might be my personal taste but yeah I hate these designs, they feel and look so clunky to control.

Last edited:

Alexios

Or like this
http://gamingtrend.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/MWO-1.jpg
Like I said, varied. But I prefer that they control "clunky" like vehicles rather than like any ol third person character that can fly/dodge/shoot/whatever. Lost Planet mechs were cool as well, kind of like a Japanese way to do the MW style mechs. Well, not quite mechs cos they were way small but yeah. Love it when they control like machines of war you feel you pilot rather than say, a Transformers character.

Well actually, older Japanese mech games had the walking tank style as well. On the Sega Saturn GunGriffon was one of my favorite games and I was devasted the sequel never came here.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Or like this
http://gamingtrend.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/MWO-1.jpg
Like I said, varied. But I prefer that they control "clunky" like vehicles rather than like any ol third person character that can fly/dodge/shoot/whatever. Lost Planet mechs were cool as well, kind of like a Japanese way to do the MW style mechs. Well, not quite mechs cos they were way small but yeah. Love it when they control like machines of war you feel you pilot rather than say, a Transformers character.

Well actually, older Japanese mech games had the walking tank style as well. On the Sega Saturn GunGriffon was one of my favorite games and I was devasted the sequel never came here.
Well more realistic mechs like Mobile suits you see in Gundam series are build to fight in space they just have waaay more mobility than any MW's robots. Thats just me but Mobile Suits looks way more practical and useful, if government willing spend that much resource to build these mechs then they better be more than just "walking tanks" that would be nothing more slow moving targets.

Alexios

Some are running tanks and others can jump with jetpacks and boost around etc too :p

And obviously it's not feasible in reality, but I still like that style :p

Doubt "the government" would find mechs of any style practical to create though, just keep their ground and air and sea vehicles instead :p

And if space combat of the sort is ever a thing it'll probably more resemble something like this thing
Not my thing at all :p

Also my favorite gundam games were those that made them feel clunky like vehicles as well, lol. Not like those musou-esque action games. Something like this.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Also my favorite gundam games were those that made them feel clunky like vehicles as well, lol. Not like those musou-esque action games. Something like this.
It doesnt have to be a musou game, you can still have proper face pace mech game.

Alexios

Well I was speaking for the most popular gundam games being that sort of action games or like VS. Yeah armored core games are cool and that Switch game from their creator looks promising too. I still prefer the other style and to me it's sillier that giant machines of war would have humanoid hands to hold guns with rather than simply attach the guns on their own like on current machines of war :p

I still like that stuff though. And stuff like Virtual On as well (those had cool "clunky" twin stick controls as well, later iterations added more conventional modes though).

Ignore glitches, must be on an emulator or something.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Well I was speaking for the most popular gundam games being that sort of action games or like VS. Yeah armored core games are cool and that Switch game from their creator looks promising too. I still prefer the other style and to me it's sillier that giant machines of war would have humanoid hands to hold guns with rather than simply attach the guns on their own like on current machines of war :p
So they can equip swords or axe and also in Deamon X Machina you take enemies for yourself, so would having hands pretty useful.

Shifty

I don't know why
655970.jpg

:messenger_tongue:

Well more realistic mechs like Mobile suits you see in Gundam series are build to fight in space they just have waaay more mobility than any MW's robots. Thats just me but Mobile Suits looks way more practical and useful, if government willing spend that much resource to build these mechs then they better be more than just "walking tanks" that would be nothing more slow moving targets.
Eh, I enjoy both, but that's not really a fair comparison. Super Robot stuff like Gundam or Zone of the Enders is so far in the future that the technological "why" matters less than the cool factor of super mobile humanoid mecha, and tends to be explained away with magic future-technology macguffins like ZoE's metatron or Gurren Lagann's spiral energy. Real Robot series like MechWarrior are more anchored in our current understanding of technology, thus resulting in more practical / mechanical designs that resemble walking tanks and sacrifice mobility for armor tonnage.

Armored Core For Answer kind of explores this idea of a power gap between old-model 'real robot' armored cores and new-model 'super robot' NEXTs that are powered by tech-magic 'kojima particles'. Unsurprisingly, it's a landslide victory for the super robots:

If someone wants to make a new thread, please.... I messaged someone for it but he's not been online yet.
Oh wow, juicy new info! I had a search around and it doesn't look like a thread happened in the end, so I'll post one up for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom