• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Orayn

GH0uA.jpg

ORAYN, WHAT IS ALL THIS "MECH" BUSINESS? TELL ME AT ONCE!

MechWarrior Online is an upcoming massively multiplayer simulation game developed by Piranha Games, and distributed by Infinite Game Publishing. Set in FASA's venerable BattleTech universe, MWO will put players in the role of the eponymous giant robot pilots, allowing them to re-enact battles involving the houses of the Inner Sphere and mercenary corps, both player-made and canonical. The game is set just before the Clan Invasion in the year 3049, and is not a continuity reboot, but a modernized re-telling of the established timeline.

SOUNDS NIFTY! WHAT DOES IT PLAY LIKE?
  • We've been repeatedly assured by Piranha Games that MechWarrior Online is a simulator first, and an action game second.
  • The battles are purposefully paced but brutal, and you'll have to coordinate with your lance, exploit your enemies' weaknesses, and think on your feet to succeed.
  • The basic gametype consists of three lances (groups of four BattleMechs) pitted against each other on large maps. The battle ends when a team is completely wiped out, or when one team captures the other's base, whichever comes first.
  • Actual 'Mech warfare is a combination of classic MechWarrior games, faithful depictions of BattleTech canon from the tabletop game and novels, in addition to some newly introduced elements.
  • 'Mechs come in all shapes and sizes, from 20 ton Light 'Mechs that specialize in scouting and evading enemy fire, to the 100+ ton Assault class decked out with weapons and heavy armor.
  • Players have a pilot skill tree that allows them to unlock modules that can modify the performance of any 'Mech, and can also progress through a skill tree to improve the performance of each 'Mech and 'Mech variant they pilot.
  • MWO will include full support for joysticks, throttles, pedals, and gamepads, as well as a default control scheme optimized for keyboard and mouse.
  • There is confirmation of a MechLab, though the degree to which each model can be customized has not yet been disclosed.
  • MWO is powered by CryEngine 3, so expect eye-pleasing visuals and respectable performance on modern machines.

HOW MUCH DOES THIS THING COST?

MechWarrior Online is free to play! A niche franchise like MechWarrior needs all the exposure it can get, so having absolutely no barrier to entry ensures that everyone has a chance to at least give the game a try. If you're worried about "pay2win" shenanigans, rest assured that Piranha Games will only be offering convenience features and cosmetics, and will not sell anything that could grant paying players an unfair advantage in battle.

FREE TO PLAY? "RE-IMAGINING?" IS THIS IS GOING TO BE A CRAPPY GENERIC ACTION GAME WITH GIANT ROBOTS TACKED ON?

Absolutely not! The senior staff at Piranha Games include a number of long-time fans of MechWarrior. Randall Bills, who served as continuity editor for dozens of products set in the BattleTech universe, is also on board to ensure that everything conforms to standards. What we've seen and heard of the game so far has actually been more faithful to canon than MechWarrior 4!

WHEN CAN I START?!

Ob0aP.jpg

WHERE CAN I LEARN MORE?

Piranha Games' own site for MWO is a great resource, with media, forums, game info, and registration for the beta. Be sure to check out the official Facebook page and Twitter as well.

Below are some previous videos, collected for your convenience.
First Teaser Trailer
GDC Interview and First Gameplay
GDC Gameplay Trailer

WHAT IS THIS THREAD FOR?

The official MechWarrior Online site updates with in-universe news daily, and with info on the game weekly - The mundane stuff will be linked and summarized here by yours truly. As the "information" part of the title implies, this thread is also the place to go if anyone wants to ask questions, speculate about the game, or just chatter about the giant walking death machines we all love so very much.

Note: If there are any huge updates like new gameplay trailers or other big news, they'll still get separate threads.

Orayn

I would seriously consider buying rudder pedals for this. Any mention of TrackIR support?

Not yet, but there is a "Pilot Look" modifier that lets you turn your pilot's head within the cockpit, so it seems like a no-brainer. Even without official support, you could accomplish the same thing by seting up TrackIR to hold down that modifier and move the mouse whenever you turn your head.

It's worth noting Pilot Look also turns your 'Mech's arms independently of the torso, meaning that head tracking would allow you to shoot at targets with arm-mounted weapons just by looking at them.

Orayn

The MechLab has been revealed!

What can be done to a BattleMech?

BattleMechs can have various components swapped out/upgraded at the cost of C-Bills. The systems that can be swapped out include:
  • Weapons
  • Armor
  • Engines
  • Heat Sinks
  • Jump Jets
  • ECM equipment
  • Modules
How does it all fit?

MechWarrior Online incorporates a “Hardpoint” system which dictates, above all other customization, that weapons can only be swapped out with weapons of the same weapon type. For example, energy weapons cannot be swapped with ballistic weapons.

Each location on a BattleMech, such as the Right Arm or Center Torso, may include a number of hard points. The number of hard points in a given location is determined on a per variant basis, and is based on the weapons included in the variant’s default loadout. For example, a ’Mech that, by default, comes with 2 Medium Lasers and an Autocannon/2 in its Left Torso may actually have 3 energy weapon hard points and 2 ballistic hard points in that location. So, if the player is able to satisfy the weight and critical slot requirements, they could equip an additional energy weapon and ballistic weapon into that Left Torso, or swap out the Medium Lasers for other energy weapons, etc.

How do Hardpoints work?

Locations on a BattleMech contain hardpoints that a player can customize with various equipment/systems provided the new equipment falls within allowable space and tonnage limitations. Hardpoints also dictate what can be placed where on a BattleMech. For example, a player cannot put a weapon system into a location on a BattleMech unless it has an appropriate hardpoint there.

Case Study 1 – Swapping out Weapons

Let’s assume that the player want to configure a new weapon layout for the McMech above. We see that the BattleMech is a 75 ton BattleMech and is currently maxed out in terms of available weight.

UgFeG.png

The first thing the player does is select a location. In this case it will be the BattleMech’s left arm. You will notice that upon doing so, a list of all items associated with the McMech’s left arm is displayed.

The key items displayed that cannot be modified in any way are the top three items; the shoulder, the upper arm actuator and the lower arm actuator. Those systems must remain in place for the appendage to work correctly.

In the diagram, we can see that the left arm of the McMech has a Large Laser equipped. The Large Laser takes up two critical slots on the McMech’s arm as shown by the two blue blocks. (Please note, the graphics indicated here are for demonstration purposes only… duh). If we were to examine the properties of the Large Laser, we would find that the weapon system weighs five tons.

Let’s have the player remove the Large Laser and replace it with some other weapons.

dnlF0.png

When the player selects the Large Laser, as list of available replacement parts appears. In this case they are the; Small Laser, Medium Laser and the PPC.

The player’s inventory is brought on screen at this time as well so they can pull items from their inventory that may or may not be displayed in the possible replacement part list.

You will notice that the possible replacement parts are colour coded. In this example, the green items indicate that they will fit into the slot occupied by the Large Laser, and they are within tonnage limits for the BattleMech, and lastly that the player has one of the items in their inventory. Items that are listed in red indicate that the item exceeds space/tonnage limitations or that the player does not currently own one of the items, or a combination thereof. In this case, the PPC both weighs too much and exceeds space limitations.

7pE6R.png

As the player drags the Large Laser off the Hardpoint, two things happen. First, the available space after removing the Large Laser is revealed.

Next, the overall tonnage of the BattleMech updates to indicate that there is room for additional weight.

The stats of a Large Laser are five tons, two critical slots, energy weapon. We can put in its place, any energy weapon(s) that stay within the maximum weight and space threshold.

Both the Medium Laser and Small Laser take up one critical slot and weigh one ton and ½ ton respectively. This means both systems are viable to be put into the space provided. For this demonstration, let’s have the player put two Medium Lasers in the available spaces.

48H2s.png
dCJPE.png

As the player adds the Medium Lasers, you will see them drop into the applicable slots and the tonnage of the BattleMech update. Once the player is satisfied with their weapon layout, they simply save their configuration and are set to go.

Sounds like we're getting limited customization for each hardpoint, similar to MechWarrior 4. Having to work around both space and weight requirements will limit the nasty habit of people loading down their 'Mechs with high damage instant-firing weapons, which is a good thing.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I love the mad scientist element of Mechwarrior 2's completely open mech design but it was super easy to completely break the game so it's understandable that they went with something more akin to Mech 4.

Orayn

Yeah, I think this is a pretty good compromise. What's lost in weapon customization is being made up for with all the other parts that can now be swapped out, and OmniMechs will probably be even more flexible than they were before.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, I think this is a pretty good compromise. What's lost in weapon customization is being made up for with all the other parts that can now be swapped out, and OmniMechs will probably be even more flexible than they were before.

I wonder if OmniMechs require "omniweapons" to be fully customizable or if they can simply mount any weapons to any slots? Even standard InnerSphere weapons that do not use pod technology? EDIT, as sarna.net's OmniMech article states:
An OmniMech is a (sub-)type of BattleMech that does not feature a fixed weapon configuration, but instead has the ability to replace or change its loadout with modular OmniMech-compatible Omni-pods. Omni-pods can be a wide range of weapon systems and even a limited selection of structural components. Therefore, the capabilities of an OmniMech are only limited by the amount of pod space it possesses (both in mass and bulk), and reconfiguration time.

EDIT i hope speed will be really valuable in this game, most players in MW4 tended to use slow but heavily armored and armed mechs instead of valuing mobility. IIRC.

red731

I have goosebumps just from reading that picture!
I nostalgia'd.

I can't wait for this and why do I hear MechWarriror 2 soundtrack in my head now and have goosebumps again. Holy shit this better be awesome.

Orayn

I wonder if OmniMechs require "omniweapons" to be fully customizable or if they can simply mount any weapons to any slots? Even standard InnerSphere weapons that do not use pod technology? EDIT, as sarna.net's OmniMech article states:

Piranha's been very big on faithfulness to the tabletop version, so requiring players to buy and equip dedicated omni-pods would make sense and also serve as an additional cost to using a more flexible 'Mech.

OmniMechs are irrelevant to me until they start adding Clan 'Mechs and I can reunite with my beloved Mad Cat.

EDIT i hope speed will be really valuable in this game, most players in MW4 tended to use slow but heavily armored and armed mechs instead of valuing mobility. IIRC.

Yeah, they share the same concerns. One of the main goals of the "role warfare" philosophy is to keep scouting and mobility useful at all levels of play, and ensure that you aren't forced to use an Assault 'Mech with a ton of PPCs to be competitive.

I have goosebumps just from reading that picture!
I nostalgia'd.

I'm glad someone appreciates my GAFapult and forum startup sequence! (Assuming that's the picture you're referring to.)

Mmm... F2P game of the year? If it's better than Tribes Ascend, Hawken, and Firefall then it will be incredible. Because all of those games are just amazing at this point.

Loving this project! I just hope F2P pays off. Worse case scenario would be that it gets 100 000 players, people try it once, find it too hard, quit, developer gets no income from microtransactions and the project dies in 6 months.

But don't worry Piranha! I'm ready to buy that custom paint job already! :D

Orayn

Piranha said they recognize that players went salvage, but that losing items isn't really conducive to the way most of the game is set up. There's still a good chance of us getting a more abstract form of salvage in the form of increased rewards for taking down the entire enemy team instead of winning by capturing their base.

Orayn

Yeah, the Awesome is indeed up.

jUXf70KAeeYcp.jpg

I really don't like this one as much as FlyingDebris' other designs. I think he tried too hard to please the grumpy old-timers who didn't want it to change at all.

Orayn

Presumably, it's about the open beta. I get the feeling "release" will be kind of a quiet, gradual thing that won't involve a server wipe.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah, the Awesome is indeed up.

jUXf70KAeeYcp.jpg

I really don't like this one as much as FlyingDebris' other designs. I think he tried to hard to please the grumpy old-timers who didn't want it to change at all.

Yeah it looks pretty much the same as the old awesome design. The hand does make it look a bit cooler.

Orayn

Developer Interview 6 is up! Doesn't really have that many goodies compared to some others, unfortunately. I did like this quote, though.

MWO: What do you think people will notice first when using the UI - it has unique look to it.

[DION] I realize that the presentation is as much a part of the UI experience as the information it conveys, but there is still a part of me that hopes that people will not notice the UI, having done its job and presented the information so that the players may succeed. But, having said that I also hope people will notice that we have tried to enhance the pilot experience and immerse the player into what it would be like to manage and pilot a Mech.

[COLIN] Players probably won't believe how high the quality of the game is when they first play it.

Me and my dad have at least 50bucks each set aside just to buy shit for this game. I will but shit i dont need. If this is a game i can play with my dad across the internet i would be priceless to me and i would buy as much as i can.

Lime

lol @ the person playing the game in windowed mode on a huge screen.

Will all registered users be invited to the closed beta?

Orayn

This week's Wednesday update is Q&A about the MechLab. As usual, here are the highlights.

Will weapon changes be visually represented? –Helmer

[DAVID] Yes they will, though some weapons may end up looking very similar. For instance, if a laser is fully embedded into a ’Mech’s torso, so that all you see is the lens, that lens is probably going to look the same for a Small, Medium, or Large Laser. Though the beam fired by the laser will be indicative of the type of laser installed there.

Isnt this system a little rigid? If i got this right you can only downgrade weapons because you couldnt fit a bigger weapon into the hardpoints even if you reduced armor. –Rutok

[DAVID] Hardpoints will limit the number of weapons that can be placed in a location on the ’Mech. The number of slots those weapons can occupy is not predefined (outside of the maximum number of slots in the location). So let’s say that I’m allowed 2 energy weapons in my right arm. I currently have 2 Medium Lasers which occupy 1 slot each. I would still be allowed to put in 2 Large Lasers, which occupy 2 slots each.

Are hardpoints limited by the weapons that come stock with the mech? By that I mean will there be hardpoints available on a chassis that a particular configuration doesn't use? –BarHaid

[DAVID] The hardpoints will be based on the default loadout of a given ’Mech. However, different variants of the same ’Mech will have different default loadouts and, therefore, different hardpoints.

Will ammo have to be placed nearby to the weapon it serves and if not, will placing it in specific parts of the mech cause specific damage if an ammo explosion occurs - depending on where it is placed? –Listless Nomad

[DAVID] You can place the ammo wherever you want (and can fit it) inside the ’Mech. And, yes, if ammo explodes, its placement on the ’Mech determines where the damage will be applied.

Sounds like they're putting a lot of thought into keeping things both balanced and interesting. With any luck, we'll get a chance to play with the MechLab ourselves soon!

lol @ the person playing the game in windowed mode on a huge screen.

Will all registered users be invited to the closed beta?

I doubt all will, but registering sooner rather than later would be a good idea.

Orayn

My friend gave me his spare HOTAS.

EXCITE

Awesome, what model? I've got a Saitek X52 myself, with plans to add rudder pedals by the time MWO launches. Right now, I control torso twist with the stick and turning with the ministick on the throttle, since the Z-twist tends to "bleed" too much for my liking.

kennah

It's a cheapo Thrustmaster. I haven't looked up the model number yet. It's a PS3/PC one, that he got for his PS3, but it didn't perform how he wanted it to, so he gave it to me. We're gonna mechwarrior it up!

Orayn

HOTAS X, I'm guessing.

6ADSv.jpg

Solid choice! A joystick and throttle really are the best tools for playing MechWarrior, even if they do get some weird looks from people who wouldn't consider anything but keyboard and mouse.

kennah

Haha, that's the one.

I never got to use a hotas setup for the original mechwarriors. Always did Keyboard and Joystick. Worked pretty well.

Riposte

I have a feeling Armored Core V will be the better game, but this much more likely to have a better and more vibrant community in NA (or even just NA NeoGAF).

Orayn

Eh, Armored Core and MechWarrior are apples and oranges. They both cater to fairly specific niches and do their jobs quite well, but AC is a little more on the action side while MWO is a simulation. I will say, however, that running CryEngine 3 will definitely give MWO the edge when it comes to graphical fidelity and framerate.

But yes, I too have high hopes for this game's community. The official forums are already quite busy, and making the game accessible to more people should help give it a lot of longevity.

HOTAS X, I'm guessing.

I've got that one too. Solid joystick for a low price. Should hopefully work well with MWO.

I'm hyped for this game. I finally completed my collection of all Classic Battletech/Mechwarrior novels just last week (all the ones pre-Wizkids taking over). Took me years to finally get all of them. (My best get was "The Sword and the Dagger" for 50 cents at a library book sale. It's a book published in 1987, but it was never republished like the other early books, so it sells used in the $50 range these days.)

Riposte

Eh, Armored Core and MechWarrior are apples and oranges. They both cater to fairly specific niches and do their jobs quite well, but AC is a little more on the action side while MWO is a simulation. I will say, however, that running CryEngine 3 will definitely give MWO the edge when it comes to graphical fidelity and framerate.

But yes, I too have high hopes for this game's community. The official forums are already quite busy, and making the game accessible to more people should help give it a lot of longevity.

You're completely right. I just want to lament ACV's community.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm not quite sure i understood the hardpoint system.
Are there actually two limits?
1. The number of weapons. If the original Mech has 2 medium lasers in hardpoint A, the maximum number of energy weapons mountable on hardpoint A is 2 regardless of size.
2. The number of slots. In the QA example, i assume the hardpoint/location has at least 4 slots for the player could fit 2 large lasers there even though they take 2 slots. I also assume the player wouldn't be able to fit both a large laser and a PPC (assume it takes 3 slots) for that'd be 5 slots total, a PPC and a medium laser would fit there though.

What do you think?

Orayn

You're completely right. I just want to lament ACV's community.

Being a niche game is hard, it really is. Games like Armored Core and Dynasty Warriors sell enough abroad to keep getting localized, but they're pretty much just surviving and not experiencing any large expansions of their audience. This gives developers the dilemma of focusing on that small audience and running the risk of fading into obscurity, or making an even more dangerous move by attempting to "revitalize" the franchise in a way that will appeal to new audiences.

F2P, however, lets developers take a third option. Games that probably wouldn't stand a chance otherwise, like MechWarrior and Tribes, can regain exposure without having to worry about facing off with blockbusters at retail. People bemoan the business model, but you can be damn sure that these treasured IPs wouldn't come back without it.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
1. The number of weapons. If the original Mech has 2 medium lasers in hardpoint A, the maximum number of energy weapons mountable on hardpoint A is 2 regardless of size.
2. The number of slots. In the QA example, i assume the hardpoint/location has at least 4 slots for the player could fit 2 large lasers there even though they take 2 slots. I also assume the player wouldn't be able to fit both a large laser and a PPC (assume it takes 3 slots) for that'd be 5 slots total, a PPC and a medium laser would fit there though.

What do you think?

Isn't this basically MW4's system except with limited number of weapons?

Deadbeat

Banned
Is the Bushwacker in the game? Thats all I need to know.
Remember mw3's system where you could put stuff wherever and it was hilariously broken? In some ways im glad thats gone.

Woorloog

Banned

It does sound a bit like that. So there would be two limits, the slot limit and weapon limit.

Regardless, i like the system. Limits boating, with luck people will try all sorts of creative loadouts.

I have to be creative for i intend to play lights and mediums. How does a Gauss Rifle and a Flamer sound for a fast medium mech?

Is the Bushwacker in the game? Thats all I need to know.

I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bushwacker
Full production becan just after Truce of Tykayyid, in 3052. The game begins in 3049... so, you need to wait 3 years or so.

Orayn

What do you think?

The number of hardpoints on a 'Mech's body part is the maximum number of weapons that can be attached there. Weapons are also limited by space (slots) available on a given body part and the total weight of the 'Mech. Bear in mind that armor and ammo need space as well, though you can put ammo wherever you like.

Possible use for my old Force Feedback 2 joystick? :p

Yes! As long as it's in working order and recognized by Windows, you should be in good shape.

I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bushwacker
Full production becan just after Truce of Tykayyid, in 3052. The game begins in 3049... so, you need to wait 3 years or so.

I'd be willing to accept a timeskip in the story as part of a major update if it would mean new 'Mechs becoming available.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm really wondering if any of the "unseen" mechs are going to show up. I realize that's an epic controversy, but there seem to be conflicting reports on various wikis about the latest legal status of such matters.

It would really be a weird thing to see such a major Battletech game without a few icons like the Warhammer or Shadow Hawk.

And they seem to have the perfect concept man to create some "reseen" designs to make them usable again.

Orayn

I'm really wondering if any of the "unseen" mechs are going to show up. I realize that's an epic controversy, but there seem to be conflicting reports on various wikis about the latest legal status of such matters.

It would really be a weird thing to see such a major Battletech game without a few icons like the Warhammer or Shadow Hawk.

And they seem to have the perfect concept man to create some "reseen" designs to make them usable again.

All Piranha has said on the matter is to look forward to a future announcement, which I believe is highly suggestive of re-imaginings by Flying Debris. Both Warhammer and Shadow Hawk have "reseen" versions on the tabletop, so there's really nothing stopping them from putting those new designs in 3049 to make it a full retcon.

Woorloog

Banned

Personally, i don't need but Marauder and Warhammer of the originals. But i don't mind if they are not in, as i noted i intend to pilot lights and mediums mostly.

I'd be willing to accept a timeskip in the story as part of a major update if it would mean new 'Mechs becoming available.

Me too.
Bushwackers article does mention there were prototypes before the Truce though, maybe we could get our hands on such? Just add some MWO-canon prototypes that are oddly close to the final production model...

Top Bottom