• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 1 May - 7 May

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
AGAIN for those who can't seem to grasp it, this is only the beginning. Maybe you people just don't understand. Guess what its like for your videogame console to become the next vcr or must have home electronic. Nintendo has fooled the Japanese into thinking that they NEED a DS or your brain will grow old and stoopid. And since they already own a DS to prevent from becomming a wiitard they said "what the hey I might as well have a little fun on my brain training machine" and BOOM a million copies of AC, Mario and Tetris. Its a perfect trojan horse and fucking genius.

Shaheed79 said:
AGAIN for those who can't seem to grasp it, this is only the beginning. Maybe you people just don't understand. Guess what its like for your videogame console to become the next vcr or must have home electronic. Nintendo has fooled the Japanese into thinking that they NEED a DS or your brain will grow old and stoopid. And since they already own a DS to prevent from becomming a wiitard they said "what the hey I might as well have a little fun on my brain training machine" and BOOM a million copies of AC, Mario and Tetris. Its a perfect trojan horse and fucking genius.
It's true, man. It's a freaking brilliant plan, but I haven't decided if its good or evil yet. It's kinda evil because I really doubt Brain Age does anything for my brain but it's good because I know there are people out there that bought Castlevania and Mario Kart and etc. after Brain Age made them purchase a DS.

Shaheed79 said:
It's EXACTLY what I'm excepting to happen here in NA. Just wait, it's a matter of time.

Question as I've lost track over this last year:

What are the current overall world hardware totals for the PS2, Xbox, GCN, DS and PSP?

Anyone have the figures or a link to a topic?

Many thanks...

Rock_Man

ds-psp3.PNG

While we are at it with the chart, can someone post a topic with the French Chart, if not posted yet :) ? Thanks.

2 May - 8 May ,Week 18

Console

1 Animal Crossing : Wild World NDS
2 Pro Evolution Soccer 5 - Platinum PS2
3 Metroid Prime Hunters NDS
4 Gran Turismo 4 PS2
5 Eye toy play 3 + camera PS2
6 Splinter Cell : Chaos theory PS2
7 Dragon Quest : L'Odyssée du roi maudit PS2
8 God of War - Platinum PS2
9 Trauma Center : Jouez du scalpel NDS
10 Soul calibur 3 PS2
11 Buzz : Le grand Quiz PS2
12 Tekken 5 - Platinum PS2
13 Cold Fear PS2
14 Ultimate Spiderman PS2
15 GTA San Andreas PS2
16 Taito Legends PS2
17 SSX on Tour PS2
18 Singstar Rocks PS2
19 Mario & Luigi - Les frères du temps NDS
20 Nintendogs Labrador & ses amis

PC

1 Les Sims 2 - La Bonne affaire PC
2 Les Sims 2 Kit : Fun en famille (Disque additionnel) PC
3 Coffret Atlantis 2 + 3 PC
4 Guild Wars Factions PC
5 Syberia 2 PC
6 Tomb Raider 6 : l'Ange des Ténèbres PC
7 Tomb Raider V : Sur les Traces de Lara Croft PC
8 Coffret Versailles 1 + 2 PC
9 Heroes of Might & Magic 5 - Edition Collector PC
10 City of Heroes - Game Time Card PC
11 Sim city 4 Deluxe PC
12 Empereur : l'Empire du Milieu PC
13 Praetorians PC
14 Les Sims : Entre Chiens et Chats PC
15 Splinter Cell : Chaos theory PC
16 The Elder Scrolls IV : Oblivion PC
17 Scooby Doo 2 : Les Monstres se déchaînent PC
18 Homeworld 2 PC
19 Qui veut gagner des millions ? PC
20 Icewind Dale + Heart of Winter (Addon) PC

Source : http://www.afjv.com/actu_ventes.htm

GBASP after 10 weeks: 0.77M
DSL after 10 weeks: 1.38M
Time for GBASP to reach 1.38M: ~25 weeks

"GBA after SP" after 10 weeks: 215K
"DS after DSL" after 10 weeks: 392K
Time for "GBA after SP" to reach 392K: ~26 weeks

So essentially, in 10 weeks DS and DSL have sold what GBA and GBASP did in a half-year.

DS+DSL has now outsold PSP 3:1 for 2006.

Fuzzy said:
DS/DSL went DOWN for Golden Week. :lol
As did GBASP, GBM, PSP, and X360.

Barf_the_Mog said:
This doesn't make sense....the DSl is replacing (or joining) a system that had already been out for over a year and is still selling out after two months on the marketplace. Since the original DS had already penetrated the market and had done very well, I just don't understand how the DSl can emulate a launch of a brand new console...as if it were the PS2 in 2000.
It's impossible for us to see what sales would now be like if there was no DSL, but it's possible DS would've been putting up numbers nearly this huge alone. DS absolutely exploded in December, had major shortages in January, then DS Lite was announced before those were cleared up.

Looking at last year's data, the week of May 2 was only a 2.7% increase in total hardware sales over the previous week. I guess Golden Week isn't a particularly hardware-pushing week, at least not recently.

cvxfreak

DS Lite after 10 weeks: 1.38M
DS after 10 weeks: 1.775M

In order to make it easy on myself, here is the original DS after 11 - 16 weeks:

11 weeks: 1.800M
12 weeks: 1.824M
13 weeks: 1.850M
14 weeks: 1.876M
15 weeks: 1.902M
16 weeks: 1.925M (2005 March 14 - 20)

DS Lite is probably going to surpass the rate of the original model in the next month.

OK, here's something I noticed looking a bit more widely at last year's numbers. Though Golden Week wasn't a big advancement over the previous week, it was part of a 3 week bubble.

The week of April 18, total hardware sales increased by 90%.
The week of April 25, total hardware sales dropped 9%.
The week of May 2, total hardware sales increased by 3%.
The week of May 9, total hardware sales decreased by 46%.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see a drop next week for most systems... but DS and DSL will probably just depend on supply.

Why the fuck didnt Nintendo show off these charts at their conference :lol

A nice bar graph of week by week sales for the past few months.

Would have been worthy payback for the controller thing.

Since the software chart is as boring as usual I'll bring something else to discuss.

PS2 still doing from 25-35k is amazing, it is stalking PSP every week :D
But, at this rate, its not going to catch PS1 right? Was it 25m vs 19m?

ioi

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
OK, here's something I noticed looking a bit more widely at last year's numbers. Though Golden Week wasn't a big advancement over the previous week, it was part of a 3 week bubble.

The week of April 18, total hardware sales increased by 90%.
The week of April 25, total hardware sales dropped 9%.
The week of May 2, total hardware sales increased by 3%.
The week of May 9, total hardware sales decreased by 46%.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see a drop next week for most systems... but DS and DSL will probably just depend on supply.

This is something I was going to mention earlier, "golden week" usually seems to manifest itself over 2-3 weeks as you say. I guess it depends on exactly when it falls and so on, but next week is likely to see about a 50% drop across the board.

bud

Fuzzy said:
DSL 161,010
PSP 37,946
PS2 32,030
DS 24,428
GBASP 7,144
GBM 3,830
Xbox360 2,019
GC 1,460
GBA 87
Xbox 44

DS/DSL went DOWN for Golden Week. :lol

PSP HAS WON

;-)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Why the fuck didnt Nintendo show off these charts at their conference :lol

A nice bar graph of week by week sales for the past few months.
It would've funny as hell if they used the graphs from GAF. :lol

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Since the software chart is as boring as usual I'll bring something else to discuss.

I don't know what the sales numbers were for the PS but it only shipped 21.59 million for Asia vs the PS2's 23.27 million for Asia.

littlewig

Banned
I remember 16 months ago people claimed d00m for DS when the PSP was out selling it by a mere 10-20K a week.

The DS is consistently outselling the PSP by 100K. The lead in Japan nullifies any lead PSP gains elsewhere in the world.

What's amazing to me is that even though the DS/DSL sold LESS this week, it STILL sold at a higher rate than just about any other point in its life aside from the original launch and the insane 2005 Christmas season.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
PezRadar said:
And there is an animal crossing movie coming out this year in japan possibly? wtf =[
umm, what would the movie be about? The epic struggle of paying off Tom Nook's debt?

Fuzzy

littlewig said:
The DS is consistently outselling the PSP by 100K. The lead in Japan nullifies any lead PSP gains elsewhere in the world.
As was said before, the DS install base in Japan is about to surpass the PSP installed bases of Japan and USA combined.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Did the number nintendo quoted during the conference for worldwide sales equal what people had guessed here?

Shalomi

I know I'm a bit late in posting this, but fucking shit. That link to Bloomberg about Nintendo's stock a few pages back? Their stock has nearly doubled since July '05, and it's jumped even higher since May. How much does 19,000 yen come to in dollars?

Nintendo is back, bitches.

Fuzzy

Roders5 said:
Did the number nintendo quoted during the conference for worldwide sales equal what people had guessed here?
I thought it was about 15.5 million so the 16 million number Nintendo used doesn't seem unreasonable. I should also mention that I think that number is as of the end of March since JP+US put it at about 11.2 million at that time while Japan has sold over 800K in April and would really mess up the numbers (April US + January-April Europe would have to be a combined 500K).

So saying all that, 16 million as of the end of March would put all regions outside Japan and the US (Europe, Canada, Australia, etc.) at about 4.8 million.

Nutter

Shalomi said:
I know I'm a bit late in posting this, but fucking shit. That link to Bloomberg about Nintendo's stock a few pages back? Their stock has nearly doubled since July '05, and it's jumped even higher since May. How much does 19,000 yen come to in dollars?

Nintendo is back, bitches.

19000 / 109 == ~$175
And yes i wish i had nintendo stock right now.. double the value in one year. :eek:

ioi

Banned
Fuzzy said:
I thought it was about 15.5 million so the 16 million number Nintendo used doesn't seem unreasonable. I should also mention that I think that number is as of the end of March since JP+US put it at about 11.2 million at that time while Japan has sold over 800K in April and would really mess up the numbers (April US + January-April Europe would have to be a combined 500K).

So saying all that, 16 million as of the end of March would put all regions outside Japan and the US (Europe, Canada, Australia, etc.) at about 4.8 million.

Yep, sounds spot on to me (unlike Sony's crazy PSP number again):

7m in Japan, 4.5m in the USA, 4.5m in 'Others'.

Fuzzy

ioi said:
Yep, sounds spot on to me (unlike Sony's crazy PSP number again):

7m in Japan, 4.5m in the USA, 4.5m in 'Others'.
If it was as of the end of March then it would be

Japan - 6.9 million (MC through April 2nd)
US - 4.3 million (NPD through April 1st)
Others - 4.8 million (subtracting MC and NPD from 16 million)

:)

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

PS2 has performed better than PS1,whose sales didn´t reach the 20 millions mark.According to Sony, PS1 shipments were 21.59 millions,including Japan,South Korea and other Asian countries.

ioi

Banned
Fuzzy said:
If it was as of the end of March then it would be

Japan - 6.9 million (MC through April 2nd)
US - 4.3 million (NPD through April 1st)
Others - 4.8 million (subtracting MC and NPD from 16 million)

:)

Well I meant "Americas" not USA.
But yeah, seems about right.

KINGMOKU

Raw64life said:
In Japan:

Animal Crossing
Mario Kart DS
Nintendogs
Tamagotchi Connection
Brain Age
Brain Age 2
Big Brain Academy
English Training

Wario - ~950k
Super Mario 64 DS - ~900k
Whats amazing about the DS, and its unreal level of success in Japan(Worldwide for that matter) is that in the Super Nintendo's(Famicom) entire lifespan, Nintendo themselves had 10million sellers.

Were talking about the Super Nintendo in Japan. How long was the SFC viable in Japan? Has Nintendo almost tied that number in Japan within a 1.5 yers of the DS lifespan?

This truly is getting to insano perportions.

Nintendo had 5million sellers with the GBA
Nintendo had 10million sellers with the SFC
Nintendo had 11 million sellers with the N64
Nintendo had 18million selllers with the GB
Nintendo had 20million sellers with the FC

Can Nintendo top all of these with the DS?

So far they have;
Nintendo has 9million sellers with the DS.

JUST INSANITY.

Does Nintendo have a chnace to beat all of thierprevious records people? Do they?

Top Bottom