• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create February 20-26

Furoba

lancubap said:
I think it is time to stop count the Original Xbox. it's below 100 now, and the 360 will follow under 1000 very soon.

Ah, let's stop counting 360 sales too then, the platform is slowly dying anyway. :D

ethelred

I'm really bummed about the bomb launches for Baten Kaitos II, Monster Kingdom, and Suikoden I&II.

The BK series strikes me as one of the better new RPG franchises this gen, even if it did have some flaws. I've been looking forward to Baten Kaitos 3 on the Revolution and Baten Kaitos DS, just because of how well the control and management in the series would mesh with those systems' control schemes. Hopefully Nintendo considers owning a new RPG franchise to be worth more than the disappointing sales it's generated so far. I'm sure the company didn't expect too much from it in Japan right now, on the GameCube of all platforms, and hopefully the company recognizes that as the franchise continues to establish itself and gets some higher profile on non-dead systems (DS for now, Rev later), it'll grow for them in the long run.

Monster Kingdom definitely sucks, though, because as Bebpo said, it's a quality original RPG on a system suffering (in the extreme) from those.

bud

lancubap said:
I think it is time to stop count the Original Xbox. it's below 100 now, and the 360 will follow under 1000 very soon.

That's why for me Microsoft has absolutely NO chance to dominate the world in cumulative Hardware sales: Japan is not the first market in the world, but it is important, and Microsoft is trying to sell more PS3 without think that 15-20 millions PS3 will be sold in Japan alone. So 360 sales in USA & Europe must be > PS3 sales in USA, Europe & Japan.

For me it is simply impossible.
shocked-Tom.jpg

By these numbers it appears that DS temporarily no longer has twice the user base of PSP. More like 1.998x.

61... a new Xbox low? I know it is at least as far back as the DS launch.

So a week or so ago I made a point about how if DS was a million ahead of its 2005 self by the end of March, sales for the rest of the year would only have to be ~71% of what they were for the same times last year to end up with the same yearly total. Since it seems DS shipments will be lower this month than I'd figured, I decided to just make this figure another silly set of columns. For all the platforms and groupings, here's what their sales have to be for the rest of the year relative to the same period last year to hit the same yearly total.

Calculated as (2005 end YTD - 2006 current YTD) / (2005 end YTD - 2005 "current" YTD)

Code:
GCN:               111.5%
GBA:               114.9%
GBASP:             118.1%
GBM:                90.8%
DS:                 97.5%
PS2:               114.1%
PSP:               104.2%
Xbox:              136.9%
X360:               64.3%
Consoles:          112.0%
Portables:         100.6%
Total:             103.0%
GBA total:         106.4%
Nintendo portables: 99.3%
Nintendo all:       99.8%
Sony all:          108.7%
Microsoft all:      71.9%

At the slower, earlier part of the year they're all quite near 100% except when accounting for GBM and X360. This should be more interesting given a few months, or just weeks for the DS.

Ahaha... and it seems that I've pretty much reached as many columns as OpenOffice.org will allow. I seriously must put this stuff into SQL or something.

http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecharting/dspspabcdefg.xls

ioi

Banned
Not many comments on the massive drop for Monster Hunter 2 this week (360k --> 55k) about the same as Dirge of Cerberus....

JoshuaJSlone said:
By these numbers it appears that DS temporarily no longer has twice the user base of PSP. More like 1.998x.

61... a new Xbox low? I know it is at least as far back as the DS launch.

So a week or so ago I made a point about how if DS was a million ahead of its 2005 self by the end of March, sales for the rest of the year would only have to be ~71% of what they were for the same times last year to end up with the same yearly total. Since it seems DS shipments will be lower this month than I'd figured, I decided to just make this figure another silly set of columns. For all the platforms and groupings, here's what their sales have to be for the rest of the year relative to the same period last year to hit the same yearly total.

Calculated as (2005 end YTD - 2006 current YTD) / (2005 end YTD - 2005 "current" YTD)

Code:
GCN:               111.5%
GBA:               114.9%
GBASP:             118.1%
GBM:                90.8%
DS:                 97.5%
PS2:               114.1%
PSP:               104.2%
Xbox:              136.9%
X360:               64.3%
Consoles:          112.0%
Portables:         100.6%
Total:             103.0%
GBA total:         106.4%
Nintendo portables: 99.3%
Nintendo all:       99.8%
Sony all:          108.7%
Microsoft all:      71.9%

At the slower, earlier part of the year they're all quite near 100% except when accounting for GBM and X360. This should be more interesting given a few months, or just weeks for the DS.

Ahaha... and it seems that I've pretty much reached as many columns as OpenOffice.org will allow. I seriously must put this stuff into SQL or something.

http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecharting/dspspabcdefg.xls

heh... sad thing is that 360 has the lowest to meet its previous year total, which was only one month, and its still quite possible they will fall quite short. truly a same.

Monorojo

Banned
Monster Hunter PSP (520k, 25k~ weekly) may end up selling more than MH2 even tho fanbase is 20M vs. 3M?

That's nuts.

lancubap

Monorojo said:
Monster Hunter PSP (520k, 25k~ weekly) may end up selling more than MH2 even tho fanbase is 20M vs. 3M?

That's nuts.

No. It sell so good because a good PSP games ships only when a Pope dies: so who owns a PSP and think that UMD & MP3 are not enough, seeks a good PSP games, but there's not many good PSP games in japan.

So, what will he found ?

Monster Hunter Portable of course.

And he knows also that no NEW AAA titles are in development for PSP for Japan, and seen that it is not a good idea crash the PSP on Sony's head or buy a DS, because it is not cheap, (and for now there's not DS enough) he waits and pries that a good PSP game will be in development sometime in the future.

And if he has no patience to wait...
... the only solution is buy Monster Hunter Portable.

Monorojo said:

That's nuts.

well sometimes if your game is up against less competition it will sell better despite the higher amount of consoles sold. that is why some launch games sell such huge numbers as there just aren't that many other games that people want instead of it.
i mean the amount of great games on PS2 is enormous.

ioi said:
Not many comments on the massive drop for Monster Hunter 2 this week (360k --> 55k) about the same as Dirge of Cerberus....
You better not follow FFXII sales...

FFX did 1'75m then 233k :)

(PS2 way of selling of most RPG franchises ...50 to 75% total on first week)

The gamecube is a dead platform, its no surprise that baten kaitos 2 bombed. If Im not mistaken the recent bleach and naruto games on the gc failed to outperform their successors. I could see the bk series gaining some popularity once it moves to the ds, provided they integrate the card system smartly with touch screen usage and release it during the holidays.

I wonder if theyre just going to do a 2d Bk 1&2 remake though, ala xenosaga?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It's good to see Strikers still holding on.

Too bad that hasn't transferred over to BKII...

But that's not surprising, considering no one liked the original there either, heh.

Nintendo was just desparate for RPGs, I guess

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Well Next Generation didn't make a mistake again this week so maybe I should start trusting what they post from now on, nah. :p

Top Bottom