• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Numbers: 2 - 8 Oct

loosus

Banned
stfu.png

ioi

Banned
cvxfreak said:
In history, if a secondary source including statistics doesn't show its primary sources (and all of it, in detail), then it can be questioned. Simple as that.

So why aren't we questioning Famitsu, Media Create and NPD?

Also, I may be wrong but we appear to be in a sales thread discussing sales figures on a videogame message board. Why exactly do some posters keep thinking they can tell others to shut up?

ioi

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Because they've been accredited by the game companies themselves.

Accredited? How?

And before you answer, I fear that we are yet again confusing issues. I fully agree that these days the latest data from MC / Fam is pretty much spot on, nearly always agrees very closely and is very credible.

This conversation is going back to data from 5-10 years ago, where the situation is(was) very different. I think we need to start making that distinction.

ioi

Banned
Square2005 said:
can i say one more thing?

ioi, I sent you the HH sales you requested, now send over the US 16-bit HW graph, okay!

Yesssssss sir!

:lol You make me laugh. You'd already posted the hh stuff on here so forget it.

I'm off to bed cause this conversation, once again, has become lame due to the lack of common sense and intelligence of most of it's participants.

I've endulged in enough mindless conversation for one night.

Enjoy your data everyone!

Hey guys. How about those software charts, huh?

I could get a better discussion of game sales on NGG than this thread.

In fact, I thin that's what I'll do.

ioi said:
Yesssssss sir!

I'm off to bed cause this conversation, once again, has become lame due to the lack of common sense and intelligence of most of it's participants.

I've endulged in enough mindless conversation for one night.

Enjoy your data everyone!

You really don't hav any 16-bit sales chart do you?
Nor Famitsu issues going back to '89

...Just made it up to get more data out of me...

So then your ancient US/Japanese monthly/weekly sales are bogus afterall....
...not based on anything but fiscal shipment data...

Andy787

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I beat it in twelve hours the first time, level grinding in the middle of the game, while playing the Korean version.
Nice, thanks. Didn't really want another epic game right now, coming off Okami.

P90

ioi said:
So why aren't we questioning Famitsu, Media Create and NPD?

Good points. NPD somewhat admits their numbers are "guesses" (no WalMart numbers, so extrapolation), but does not give margin of error. NPD needs to be questioned big time.

ioi I have defended you before, but you are trying my patience in this thread with your numerous plugs for your site. Once per week is ok, but more than that and you are spamming, IMO.

cvxfreak

Pureauthor said:
Onimusha 3? Level grinding?

Huh?

I spent awhile just killing the same enemies over and over again just to gather souls for enhancing weapons.

Admittedly I got owned when the game became nice and
made us go through that genma hoard, which provided a shitload of souls that were easy to get, this making some of the grinding a moot point
. :lol

Andy787 said:
Nice, thanks. Didn't really want another epic game right now, coming off Okami.

Yeah, Onimusha 3 isn't my favorite game to play when I've finished another Capcom adventure. I think DoD is cool though.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Can we have a little democracy on this board just once? Maybe a moderator could make a poll or something. 'Should ioi be able to post in Media Create threads?'

His data is fine when taken into context of what it is, estimates based off of real video game sales data. It's not fine when he totally derails a Media Create, or any other sales thread, posting about his numbers. His numbers aren't relevent in these threads.

Joe Molotov

ioi said:
Yesssssss sir!

Oh snap! Were those the number he's been trying to get from you in every thread for the past month? :lol

owned-xavier.jpg

I thought Budokai Tenkaichi 2 was coming out at the same time for PS2 and Wii. I guess the Wii version won't sell so well since the game was available before on PS2.

cvxfreak

Pureauthor said:
Oh, you meant Soul grinding.

Any interesting releases coming up in Japan for October?

Souls that raise the levels of the weapons, yeah. But thanks for the clarification. :D (I didn't know what grinding was until the FFIII IGN debacle)

October stuff:

Gyakuten Saiban 2 (I think this will be big at the discounted price)
Tales of the Tempest
Lode Runner (DS)
Final Fantasy V Advance (which is #1 on Amazon right now)
Bleach Blade Battles
Piposaru Academia 2
Tenchi no Mon 2
Ace Combat X
Shinobido Homura

Green Biker Dude said:
I thought Budokai Tenkaichi 2 was coming out at the same time for PS2 and Wii. I guess the Wii version won't sell so well since the game was available before on PS2.

The PS2 version always had a confirmed release date, while the Wii was always in 2006 in general.

donny2112

Thank you, cvxfreak. :)

Any idea what that bogus top 10 was in last week's thread that didn't have Brain Training 2 in the top 10?

At first ioi was humble and quiet about this whole nummber business and I could easily defend him and anger myself over the people attacking his numbers.

Now however, it seems a certain arrogance is appearing... hm

Anyways, Pokemans for the win. Also I'm glad to see New Super Mario bros. kicking butt. It's THIS close to being Nintendo DS number 1 in the regions.

ethelred

Pureauthor said:
Trust me, in this one case, GameFAQS threads of the equivalent topic are better than this.

ioi needs to stop coming into any and all Media Create threads for the sole purpose of the pimping of his website as the de facto source for numbers, inherently superior to MC/Fami/Dengenki. He's not here for discussion or community contribution, and he's made that abundantly clear -- that he rebuffed CVX at every turn when he asked for some of the pure data that was used is evidence enough in support of this fact.

I mean, really, that's what's causing this as much as anything else. CoolTrick deserved his ban, because he's been a complete obsessive ass about the matter, but one has to recognize that ioi plays a huge role here as well. And it's one thing when these derailments come on the 10th page, but when he comes on just a few posts in to definitively state that Famitsu is inarguably wrong... yeah, there's a problem here.

Anyway, said my piece on the matter.

cvxfreak

I'm sorry you guys. I feel horrible for getting carried away and I'll take all the blame. I'm done with any discussion on VGcharts.

donny2112 said:
Thank you, cvxfreak.

Any idea what that bogus top 10 was in last week's thread that didn't have Brain Training 2 in the top 10?

Gamefront calls it a trend chart... but I have a feeling it was just some random Japanese source. Maybe a store that doesn't sell non-games. :lol :p

apotema

Nice sales for the pokeymans......

Excluding the Pokemans..... which one will be the big seller for the DS in Japan?
- Love and Berry
- Jump Ultimate Superstars
- Rockman
- Brain Training???

Jiggy

Disappointment total for Pokemon, I better import two more copies to fix what Nintendo can only see as a disaster. Shame too since it's such an awesome (pair of) game(s). :( I've already put 55 hours in.

But no, seriously, I hope to see D/P at a combined 3,000,000 along with NSMB, Brain Training 2, and ACWW all in the top ten at once over the holiday seasons. Not sure how viable or plausible this is, mainly because of the question of whether BT2 and ACWW can hang on that long in spite of PS3 and Wii launches, but still, it'd be cool for mere aesthetic reasons. :D

In conclusion: DS. <3

cvxfreak

Jiggy37 said:
Disappointment total for Pokemon, I better import two more copies to fix what Nintendo can only see as a disaster. Shame too since it's such an awesome (pair of) game(s). :( I've already put 55 hours in.

O_O

The game is low in stock, not because there's a shortage of people that want it.

Jiggy37 said:

But no, seriously, I hope to see D/P at a combined 3,000,000 along with NSMB, Brain Training 2, and ACWW all in the top ten at once over the holiday seasons. Not sure how viable or plausible this is, mainly because of the question of whether BT2 and ACWW can hang on that long in spite of PS3 and Wii launches, but still, it'd be cool for mere aesthetic reasons. :D

In conclusion: DS. <3

Those Pokemon games sure move slower than I thought. D/P is the fastest sellers so far which is a VERY GOOD thing, especially when it hasn't even hit holiday season yet... I think it might have a chance of outselling Gold and Silver, at LEAST being th e#1 sellers on the DS (combined) in Japan and US.

The Animal Crossing movie should spark more sales. Not sure about BT though.

cvxfreak said:
O_O

The game is low in stock, not because there's a shortage of people that want it.

That argument must have stressed you out or something. Can't tell that was sarcasm?

cvxfreak

LanceStern said:
Those Pokemon games sure move slower than I thought. D/P is the fastest sellers so far which is a VERY GOOD thing, especially when it hasn't even hit holiday season yet... I think it might have a chance of outselling Gold and Silver, at LEAST being th e#1 sellers on the DS (combined) in Japan and US.

Pokemon games start out slower than Japan's other two RPG franchises. But they'll always have a distribution that eventually will lead to at least 5 Million copies, and for DP inevitably more.

Consider this: DP will be on the Famitsu Top 100s every month in 2009.

Pureauthor said:
That argument must have stressed you out or something. Can't tell that was sarcasm?

This is Jiggy we're talking about here. Pokemon fan to the max. :D

The Facts:

IOI: You modify these numbers as if there are so many things you've factored in that these businesses have been doing much longer than you. For all you know that 7.21 million shipped to japan could be someone at Nintendo accidently hitting a 7 key instead of a 6, making YOUR numbers off.
You also need to stop adding a Post Script in every one of your posts whoring off som eupdate you've made to your site. If people were that interested, they owuld check the home page of your site for updates. Not be forced across it in every sales thread in Neogaf.

Everyone else: Numbers aren't prefectly accurate and there is no reason to automatically belittle someone who tries to improve numbers based on data from companies that ship the product themselves. There will be cases where IOI's number ARE more accurate than whats released.

Summary: Both of you have your arguing points. Do your arguing in some ****ing thread that isn't this one and make sure it isn't this one next week either.
(And for the love of GOD do NOT continue this bullshit argument in the September NPD thread tommorow.

Jonnyram

Ever heard of a website called gamejapan? They used to post the FULL Media Create top 50s right back from 99 to about 02 when it stopped and all we got was the top 10s posted on the MC Site. Having said that, I do have all data going back to mid 90s from a number of different sources, but just to show that your comment is yet again incorrect.
GameJapan is a magazine and yeah, I'm aware they had a website. They showed the top 30 data, not top 50, and it was considered total BS by most people interested in sales at that time. Do you actually have a full set of that data, because it seems to me that you're trying to hide the fact that your data is incomplete.

We really need to sort this shipped thing out.
I agree totally... this is one of the fundamental problems with your data. We don't care what the shipment numbers are, we are following Media Create, Media Works and Enterbrain data because we care what games sold. Your following argument is a good basis for some more discussion:

Let's use Pokemon G/S. Nintendo shipped 7.21m in Japan? How much did they sell?

1m? Unlikely
3m? Nah
5m? What about the other 2?
6m? At least
7m? Most likely

Probably something around ~7.1 - 7.2m, with upto 100,000 copies MAX remaining unsold for whatever reason.

Is that fair?

So when we have famitsu polling ~40% of retailers and coming up with a figure of 5.6m then isn't it reasonable to think they've undertracked the game?

On such an obvious example as this with such large numbers involved I can't see how you can argue other than to just blindly suggest to me that there are 1.5m copies of Pokemon GS sitting in shops :lol
So you have three independent retailers, all tracking less than 6 million, but instead you believe a shipment figure from the publisher themselves. Why is this? What evidence do you have that Nintendo is being 100% honest/accurate about their shipment figures? Especially in the Yamauchi era, there is a possibility of them cooking the books to get tax reductions. Say they added an extra million to their shipment figures - who would be able to disagree, short of an audit, and even then bribery goes a long way in Japan. It's just ludicrous to believe that THREE INDEPENDENT RESEARCHERS were all out by 1.5 million copies, i.e. 20%. But that's the reason your assumptions are wrong, not the reason these threads are so ****ed.

We know Media Create is not the best source, they have their misses and overall Enterbrain is much more favourable, but Media Create is the first glimpse we get at national sales data, so that's what we talk about. You come into a thread about Media Create and start blurting out non-Media Create numbers, and then you wonder why people are yelling at you. Your first post in this thread:

It's really misleading:

1) Using Famitsu and/or Media Create numbers intermingled (I don't personally have an issue, but with all the sticklers for detail on here...)
2) Using old data without adjusting it (or even thinking about how you should)
It is way more accurate to use old Famitsu numbers than adjusting numbers by yourself and using them. Why on earth would you adjust a number which is calculated in the same way as the current numbers? If any agency is undertracking on a weekly basis, why would you adjust old figures without adjusting the new figures? Do you think they adjust their own figures when they sell them to clients?

And on top of all this, you keep pimping your ****ing site. We're talking about Media Create numbers in this thread, not ADJUSTED numbers, yet in these first 100 posts alone, there are 12 mentions of your site. We're not talking about your numbers, we're talking about Media Create... WHAT GIVES? Seriously, once and for all, stay out of these threads if you're not willing to discuss the same numbers we are.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
ioi said:
Yesssssss sir!

WOW WHAT AN ASSHOLE MOVE.

I'm honestly astonished.

This is grounds for a permaban, imo.

ioi said:
Yesssssss sir!

I had to log in just to :lol :lol at this. Wow, Square got burned.

Night folks!
LanceStern said:
At first ioi was humble and quiet about this whole nummber business and I could easily defend him and anger myself over the people attacking his numbers.

Now however, it seems a certain arrogance is appearing... hm

I agree. I've lost all sympathy for him.

edit: Jonnyram hit it all, too. This isn't a thread about sales, it's a thread about MEDIA CREATE sales. Nothing else is to be discussed unless it progresses that way naturally.

cvxfreak

Well, I guess after reading Jonny's post, I don't even want those GameJapan charts anymore.

EDIT: Holy shit, I finally got around to figuring out what the heck ioi was saying last... what the ****. Damn him.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
I remember siding with ioi one time and denouncing CoolTrick.....Every ****ing week ioi is making me regret that choice from so long ago. These worthless debates that we are having all have something in common....ioi's website.

Honestly, GAF is unique because of its hugely popular sales discussions, but I haven't enjoyed them one bit in the last couple months. Like many people here, I made a migration from GameFAQs to GAF and now I'm thinking of jumping ship yet again.

mj1108

Can we just give ioi and Square a thread of their own where they can post about their sales all they want so they won't continue to shit up the weekly MC chart?

cvxfreak

mj1108 said:
Can we just give ioi and Square a thread of their own where they can post about their sales all they want so they won't continue to shit up the weekly MC chart?

What's the point... Square gave ioi what he wanted... ioi decided to change his mind.

Deku

Banned
mj1108 said:

cvx or someone more neutral should start one for them.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Barf_the_Mog said:
I remember siding with ioi one time and denouncing CoolTrick.....Every ****ing week ioi is making me regret that choice from so long ago. These worthless debates that we are having all have something in common....ioi's website.

Honestly, GAF is unique because of its hugely popular sales discussions, but I haven't enjoyed them one bit in the last couple months. Like many people here, I made a migration from GameFAQs to GAF and now I'm thinking of jumping ship yet again.

Thanks for the personal history, I feel so enlightened. Please go back to gamefaqs as GAF was better without you.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
ioi may want to step very lightly around here from now on after the first page antics and screwing Square2005 over.

If he really wants to push his envelope further, it may just lead his site to ruin if the GAF hounds decide to flame it everywhere he walks.

Top Bottom