• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 01/02-01/08

Matlock

Banned
THE GREAT JAPANESE CONSOLE RACE

<DS Fans> GO DS!
<PSP Fans> GO PSP!
<Xbox Fans> ...
<Xbox Fans> ...
<Xbox Fans> ...
-ed note, haha, no xbox fans here!
<Media Create> And at the top of the hour, the DS is on lap 210 of 500..PSP is on lap 126...DS is about to lap the PSP again...it has...
<DS Fans> GO DS!
<Media Create> What's this? The DS has walked off the track for a smoke break in the middle of the race!
<Izzy> Hey! The PSP just passed the DS' position! THE TIDE IS TURNING!
<sonycowboy> Nintendo only sold half the PSP this week!
<Japanese Storefronts> goddamnit, get running again so we can have product to put on our shelves

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I was hoping they'd be false, but still... 130 k for the PSP? right after New Year? That's kind of out of nowhere, and quite impressive. I wonder if it'll continue. I'm also curious about what sales will be at the end of the month when the DS is available again. I'd love to see the Japanese back-order lists at gaming stores. Probably scary.

Oh, and about possible DS redesign this month, it'd be a great apology for the shortage... "I know you are all sad about our lack of DS units available, but hey! To thank you for your patience, look at this shiny new DS! Not only that, the revolution will also give you super powers! And mario will come to your town and beat up all your enemies!"

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Matlock said:

<DS Fans> GO DS!
<PSP Fans> GO PSP!
<Xbox Fans> ...
<Xbox Fans> ...
<Xbox Fans> ...
<Media Create> And at the top of the hour, the DS is on lap 210 of 500..PSP is on lap 126...DS is about to lap the PSP again...it has...
<DS Fans> GO DS!
<Media Create> What's this? The DS has walked off the track for a smoke break in the middle of the race!
<Japanese Storefronts> goddamnit, get running again so we can have product to put on our shelves
:lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So this would mean Nintendo can only ship 90k DSs a week. Sony needs to show Nintendo how it's really done. ;)

mj1108

Oblivion said:
So this would mean Nintendo can only ship 90k DSs a week. Sony needs to show Nintendo how it's really done. ;)

If Sony were to show Nintendo how it was done, people would be buying the unit and no software.

polg

Fuzzy said:
1. NDS Brain Training 2 290,021 (704,578)
2. NDS Animal Crossing DS 132,991 (1,515,219)
3. NDS Mario Kart DS 114,709 (951,187)
4. NDS Brain Training 113,860 (1,271,730)
5. NDS Mario & Luigi 2 98,434 (231,160)
6. PS2 Kingdom Hearts 2 83,200 (967,629)
7. NDS Gentle Brain Training 62,664 (998,199)
8. NDS Tamagotchi 61,834 (846,371)
9. NDS Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Blue 57,065 (629,923)
10. GBA Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Red 48,729 (607,185)

PSP - 132,757
DS - 91,379
PS2 - 80,886
GBASP - 17,443
GC - 13,423
GBM - 11,818
Xbox360 - 7,477
GBA - 564
Xbox - 156

LTD
DS - 5,738,331
PSP - 2,815,719
DS Lead - 2,922,612

:'( it was a good easter

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
<DS Fans> GO DS!
<PSP Fans> GO PSP!
<Xbox Fans> ...
<Xbox Fans> ...
<Xbox Fans> ...
<DS Fans> GO DS!

roofles.

Oblivion

mj1108 said:
If Sony were to show Nintendo how it was done, people would be buying the unit and no software.

I meant how Sony ships like no one else. Remember, the PSP is the fastest shipped handheld ever. ;)

Oblivion

Wait, I just realized...

Was last week supposed to be the most heavy sales week in Japan? Or was that the week before that? Cause if it was last week, then Nintendo really dropped the fucking ball.

GhaleonEB

Benadryl Hitman said:
If you trust the source: PVC Console Forum = 5,200

By Hyundai you mean Ford Festiva?

Looks about right. Thanks.

The 360 has caught up with the XBox by over 7,200 units the past two weeks, averaging about 50% better each week. For some morbid reason I've taken it upon myself to track one lousy trend against the other. It's like measuring the space between atoms.

Beowvlf

Banned
Am I the only one who is happy both handhelds are doing well? I mean, it would be so much better if the PSP and DS exchanged leads every week, so that after awhile HW sales would no longer be the sole topic of discussion (well, uncontrollable masturbation for many Nfans), and instead we'd concentrate on the games and which deserved to sell well and which didn't.

DCharlie

"I meant how Sony ships like no one else. Remember, the PSP is the fastest shipped handheld ever. ;)"

2-middle-passage.jpg

SHIPPED = SOLD!

Tabris

Good. More PSP's out there = more potential software sales.

It's nothing changed though. PSP sold as much as it did last week. It's only the DS numbers that changed.

PSP has been doing pretty decent this entire time with hardware sales, it's just no one noticed because DS was doing so well and you're all nbots.

Oblivion

DCharlie said:
2-middle-passage.jpg

SHIPPED = SOLD!

Not sure if you're making fun of me, but I was poking fun at Sony for always talking about shipped numbers when trying to make it sound more impressive. :)

And will someone answer my question, plz!

Fuzzy

Oblivion said:
And will someone answer my question, plz!
12/19-12/25 was the heavy sales week and Media Create even pointed that out in the notes for last week (12/26-01/01).

Fuzzy

Speaking of notes, here they are.
Sales of the top 100 titles totaled 2,074,647 units, 76.81% of last week's total. None of the new titles launched this week took spots in the top 100, and the market was thus completely centered on existing titles. DS titles in particular performed well, and eight of the top ten software titles were DS titles.

DS made impressive gains in the hardware market as well, and was so popular that a series of stores ran out of stock. This developed to the point that Nintendo made a formal apology for the DS shortages. Partially due to this, total DS sales fell significantly compared to the previous week to 355,904 units, or 56.29% of last week's result.

Sales results for the same week the previous year (Week 1, January) were 1,358,355 units for software and 388,465 units for hardware. The software market expanded compared to the previous year, and if there had not been shortages of DS results for hardware would certainly have risen year-on-year as well. It thus appears that this year has gotten off to a strong start.
They mean total HW sales.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Oblivion said:
So who do we believe? MC or Dengeki? :(

I'm pretty sure the general consensus is Media Create, but that IS a huge difference. Wonder what the deal was? Maybe the stores both companies surveyed had different supplies to start with. I doubt the shortage was completely uniform.

DCharlie

"Not sure if you're making fun of me, but I was poking fun at Sony for always talking about shipped numbers when trying to make it sound more impressive."
no , i wasn't poking fun at you , i was helping you along! :)

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
Matlock said:

<DS Fans> GO DS!
<PSP Fans> GO PSP!
<Xbox Fans> ...
<Xbox Fans> ...
<Xbox Fans> ...
<DS Fans> GO DS!

Dude.... can you pass the bong?

cvxfreak

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Come on! we're lazy! Do all the work for us! :D

Kay.

1. Kingdom Hearts II
2. Animal Crossing DS
3. Motto Brain Training
4. Mario Kart DS
5. Brain Training
6. Naruto: Narutimate Hero 3 (PS2)
7. Tamagotchi