• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 01/26 - 02/01

markatisu

HyperZone<3 said:
so much for Fragile growing any legs. Damn shame.

What kind of legs were you looking for with roughly 10k available and no sign of a 2nd shipment. At least nobody has reported it price collapsing yet

And what is with the sky is falling attitude around Crystal Chronicles? From all interviews FFCC MLAAK sold well, FFCC ROF sold well enough to get a sequel

Nobody here is willing to admit that the game just could be shit and people did not want it? I mean they did not fix anything wrong with RoF and added problems with laggy online and not even doing anything extra for the Wii version besides allowing you to play the DS game

We have had 4 FFCC releases since the Gamecube and this is the first one to not do well (for justified reasons) and that apparently tanks the brand and makes it Epic Fail?

bttb said:
According to Polyphony Digital:
GT5P shipped 390k through Dec 2008.

According to Famitsu data from Garaph:
GT5P sold 202k through mid-Feb 2008. GT5P Spec III sold 224k through Dec 2008.
GT5P sold 426k through Dec 2008.
wow, if Polyphony data is as of December end, all trackers would be way overestimating its sales.
Even if it isn't, I'm pretty sure all of them would show over 500k LTD sales right now.

Famitsu (519k)
288k for GT5P Spec III as of January 18
231k for GT5P (from the geocities site)

Dengeki
305k for GT5P Spec III as of January 25
Unknown for GT5P, but count on similar numbers (help?)

Media-Create
292k for GT5P Spec III as of January 11
Unknown for GT5P, but count on similar numbers (help?)

Spec III isn't charting on Famitsu since week ending on January 4, but it IS still charting on both Dengeki and MC charts at positions 11-20 with easily over 10k weekly numbers.

Wtf moment here.

EXGN

pseudocaesar said:
What are some upcoming big title releases? Demons Souls, Yakuza 3, SO4 etc. Whats there release dates and expected sales? Will the PS3's games (Demons Souls, Yakuza) outdo SO4 on the 360?

PS3 has a really solid month coming up. Demon's Souls hit yesterday, Street Fighter IV next week, about a week and a half later is Yakuza 3, and then Resident Evil 5 like a week after that.

If Amazon JP is any indicator, #1 most pre-ordered video game is FFVII:AC with 13 demo(don't know why its under video games). Dragon Quest, Yakuza, and Demon's Souls are all in the top 5. Resident Evil 5 and Killzone 2 are in the top 10, and Star Ocean 4 is either just barely in top 10 or at the low teens.

test_account

XP-39C²
EXGN said:
PS3 has a really solid month coming up. Demon's Souls hit yesterday, Street Fighter IV next week, about a week and a half later is Yakuza 3, and then Resident Evil 5 like a week after that.

If Amazon JP is any indicator, #1 most pre-ordered video game is FFVII:AC with 13 demo(don't know why its under video games). Dragon Quest, Yakuza, and Demon's Souls are all in the top 5. Resident Evil 5 and Killzone 2 are in the top 10, and Star Ocean 4 is either just barely in top 10 or at the low teens.
Was Demon's Souls released yesterday on Wedensday on the 4th of February?

EDIT: Or maybe you live in a timezone where "tomorrow" is Thursday on the 5th of February? :)

Rpgmonkey

Hcoregamer00 said:
The question is if this future mainline games will be outsourced like Tales of Innocence and Radiant Mythology or done in-house like Tales of Hearts, Tales of the Abyss, and Tales of Vesperia.

I really dislike pretty much all the outsourced Tales games (the only one I ever really liked was Legendia, which isn't saying much when it's pretty weak in comparison to some other entries imo), so if it happens, in-house please.

Spiegel said:
Sure, it is expected

No

While I don't think it's the sole reason, I do think there are reasons why RM does better than main entries, and the huge amount of fanservice to general fans of the series, or even those that have lost interest in the series by now (something a mainline game probably won't get to, of course) is definitely one of them if you ask me, as that's always been the TotW series' biggest appeal. I wouldn't be surprised if the series has reached a point where the TotW audience stretches out further than the mainline games of today do, regardless of the platform the mainline game is on.

Spiegel

Rpgmonkey said:
While I don't think it's the sole reason, I do think there are reasons why RM does better than main entries, and the huge amount of fanservice to general fans of the series, or even those that have lost interest in the series by now (something a mainline game probably won't get to, of course) is definitely one of them if you ask me, as that's always been the TotW series' biggest appeal. I wouldn't be surprised if the series has reached a point where the TotW audience stretches out further than the mainline games of today do, regardless of the platform the mainline game is on.

My theory is that the psp fanbase is simply more receptive to Tales games, this mixed with a huge userbase = good sales.

The best selling Tales on psp is still the Tales of Eternia port (TotW2 will outsell it in two/three more weeks), so a mainline Tales on psp should sell better than this because the TotW games are a joke.

I suppose we will have to wait and see

And I think nobody was (realistically) expecting TotW2 to outsell the main entries (so soon). I said it would be hilarious

Rpgmonkey

Spiegel said:
My theory is that the psp fanbase is simply more receptive to Tales games, this mixed with a huge userbase = good sales.

The best selling Tales on psp is still the Tales of Eternia port (TotW2 will outsell it in two/three more weeks), so a mainline Tales on psp should sell better than this because the TotW games are a joke.

There have been two more ports of mainline games since Eternia PSP (and at least one of them came after RM1 iirc) though, neither of which have gotten anywhere near what Eternia PSP did, or even did anything that impressive at all really.

Maybe a mainline PSP Tales would do something significant, but I also think the gameplay style and fanservice beyond what any mainline game provides (and also how that fanservice caters to a fan of basically any mainline Tales game, as opposed to how other spinoffs are for just one or two games) of the TotW games are what help them to get a broader appeal and more sales than recent mainline games do.

A PSP release of a mainline game probably might outdo recent ones like Hearts and Vesperia (not that outdoing Vesperia is hard for any mid or high-tier Tales project it seems...), and TotW may have helped to build a better fanbase for the series on the PSP, but if it didn't even reach RM1 or 2's numbers I wouldn't find it too unexpected.

Though the only way to know for sure is if they actually make one I guess. :p

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Square Enix is supposed to start publishing the Ubisoft games in Japan (currently it's Capcom) and one of the first to be published will be the PS3 version of PoP. I wonder how it will do. Probably no better than the 360 version.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
DSi 55,613
PSP 44,135
Wii 23,278
PS3 17,405
DS Lite 15,147
Xbox 360 8,107
PS2 5,334

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Spiegel

This week MC numbers:

DSi 55,613
PSP 44,135
Wii 23,278
PS3 17,405
DS Lite 15,147
Xbox 360 8,107
PS2 5,334

Last week:

NDS | 65,294
PSP | 38,280
WII | 26,770
PS3 | 17,708
360 | 7,663
PS2 | 5,007

Down: Wii (by 3k)
~the same: PS2,360, PS3
Up: PSP (by 6k), NDS (by 5k)

Okay, now I'm seriously thinking that PS3 can outsell Wii this month (mid-February/mid-March) with SF4, Yakuza, RE5. And 360 has SO4 :/

You might also see a bump in PS3 titles, WKC etc, when Yakuza 3 hits. Thats a system seller if there ever was one, and you'd think they would want some different games to play aswell.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
Okay, now I'm seriously thinking that PS3 can outsell Wii this month (mid-February/mid-March) with SF4, Yakuza, RE5. And 360 has SO4 :/

Very interesting way you plan on counting this next "month"

I think its possible PS3 outsells Wii in March, but we'll have to see.

schuelma

Tmac said:
Maybe we will finally see a good year for ps3 in japan? Its lacking so far.

I believe PS3 is still tracking beneath 08 so far. The difference is Wii is drastically down with nothing until at least April which could start to bring it back up.

Tmac

schuelma said:
I believe PS3 is still tracking beneath 08 so far. The difference is Wii is drastically down with nothing until at least April which could start to bring it back up.

In absolute numbers its tracking behind. But if you consider that japan's technically in a recession, maybe the ps3 is actually doing better. Of course i dont have the numbers to prove either way. Just pointing out.

Spiegel

schuelma said:
Very interesting way you plan on counting this next "month"

I think its possible PS3 outsells Wii in March, but we'll have to see.

I meant 3/4/5 consecutive weeks
And I thought the SFIV release was more close to Yakuza 3 and not next week :/ so realistically it's going to be two/three weeks (Yakuza week, RE5 week and the week after the RE5 week )

Not that it matters because Wii is going to easily outsell PS3 this year but it's surprising to see Wii so close to PS3 (and 360) now.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
Not that it matters because Wii is going to easily outsell PS3 this year but it's surprising to see the Wii so close to PS3 now.

Absolutely, and Nintendo really doesn't have anything until Wii Sports, whenever that comes up. The 2nd half of the year should be better, but the first half of the year is going to be way behind.

Jonnyram

pseudocaesar said:
You might also see a bump in PS3 titles, WKC etc, when Yakuza 3 hits. Thats a system seller if there ever was one, and you'd think they would want some different games to play aswell.
Hello. You must be new here. Welcome to the Media Create thread. Though people may shout at you and call you names, they're all nice really. Please try to have fun while you're here.

Jonnyram said:
Hello. You must be new here. Welcome to the Media Create thread. Though people may shout at you and call you names, they're all nice really. Please try to have fun while you're here.

Haha ok sure! Thanks! YEAH!

Lightning

Banned
schuelma said:
I believe it was about this time last year though that the PS3 sales dropped considerably, straight after DMC4 if I am not mistaken, with the games due for the PS3 in Japan over the next few weeks should delay the big drop for the PS3 until April at least. I'm hoping anyway. :lol

Konami seem to have it all figured out. PES09 PS3/360 drive their profits Q4 2008 and PES09 (PS2/PSP) drive their profits Q1 2009. Nice strategy from a profit point of view but I don't like it personally as it screws gamers because of waiting.

markatisu

perfectchaos007 said:
that would help too. But Nintendo would never believe that their games would be hindering Wii sales. So they will take the easy way out and make new colors. It's cheaper.

They won't make new colors until they can float the excess into the US and EU where sales are not suffering in the least.

I fully expect Nintendo to change nothing about their sales till Wii Sports Resort, Iwata just gave an Q&A where he acknowledges pretty much they botched the last few months in JP, but I doubt that will spur any significant changes as long as they are still above the PS3 by a healthy margin

donny2112

Jonnyram said:

ackbar.jpg

perfectchaos007 said:
But Nintendo would never believe that their games would be hindering Wii sales. So they will take the easy way out and make new colors. It's cheaper.

Iwata noted that Japan console sales are not what Nintendo wants them to be and understands that Animal Crossing and Wii Music were not sufficient last Fall. He also noted that Wii Music is not the hit they hoped it would be, and that they'll be examining the reasons as to why. They know they need to take action in Japan.

markatisu said:
but I doubt that will spur any significant changes as long as they are still above the PS3 by a healthy margin

Which means they must be being spurred to some significant changes now. :lol

markatisu

donny2112 said:
Iwata noted that Japan console sales are not what Nintendo wants them to be and understands that Animal Crossing and Wii Music were not sufficient last Fall. He also noted that Wii Music is not the hit they hoped it would be, and that they'll be examining the reasons as to why. They know they need to take action in Japan.

Which means they must be being spurred to some significant changes now. :lol

But do you honestly believe it will lead to a new color, bundle or price drop? None of those seem like a viable option

Mindlog

pseudocaesar said:

I really hope that game gets subtitles or something. Would love to play it.

Lots of good zingers this this week :] Seeing these numbers makes me a little anxious to see Jan NPD.

cvxfreak

Wii 23,278
PS3 17,405

:lol

Not sure if the PS3 can outsell the Wii the week Yakuza 3 hits, but I've got a fantastic feeling the week of March 5. Biohazard 5 will be a huge boost to the PS3, as Biohazard games tend to be for second place consoles. :D

markatisu

Mindlog said:
Seeing these numbers makes me a little anxious to see Jan NPD.

Why? I do not think we will see many surprises besides the Wii outselling what it sold last Jan (if Nintendos internal tracking turns out to be close to what NPD reports)

And the game should be standard fare (Wii Fit, Mario Kart, Call of Duty)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
31. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
32. [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami)
33. [NDS] Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution (CyberFront)
34. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Saikyou Penguin Densetsu! (Konami)
35. [NDS] DS Uranai Seikatsu (Nintendo)
36. [NDS] Power Pro Kun Pocket 11 (Konami)
37. [PS3] Fallout 3 (Bethesda Softworks)
38. [WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii (Hudson)
39. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
40. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 2: The Seven Island Adventure (Namco Bandai)
41. [PSP] Musou Orochi: Maou Sairin (KOEI)
42. [PS2] Gundam Musou 2 (Limted Edition) (Namco Bandai)
43. [PS2] Yakuza 2 (Playstation 2 The Best) (SEGA)
44. [360] Left 4 Dead (Electronic Arts)
45. [WII] Fragile (Namco Bandai)
46. [NDS] Hirameki Action: Chibikko Wagyan no Daiki na Bouken (Namco Bandai)
47. [WII] Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Nintendo)
48. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
49. [PS3] Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! (PlayStation 3 the Best) (SEGA)
50. [PS2] DanceDance Revolution X (Konami)

System Count
[WII] - 10
[NDS] - 20
[PSP] - 7
[PS3] - 6
[360] - 2
[PS2] - 5

MC-THREAD-HARDWARE-TITLE.png

Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week |   YTD   |    LTD    [/U][/B]
NDS      |    70,760 |    65,294 | 555,162 | 25,674,805
PSP      |    44,135 |    38,280 | 348,412 | 11,706,576
WII      |    23,278 |    26,770 | 243,589 |  7,722,490
PS3      |    17,405 |    17,708 | 144,601 |  2,767,029
360      |     8,107 |     7,663 |  55,594 |    886,134
PS2      |     5,334 |     5,007 |  35,347 | 21,434,871
-------------------------------------------------------
DSi      |    55,613 |    51,618 | 430,475 |  1,661,842
DSL      |    15,147 |    13,676 | 119,221 |

MC-THREAD-CHARTS.png

(links to ChartGet.com)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
favouriteflavour said:
I would guess Wii sales are down and PS3 sales steady because of the recession. The hardcore audience will still buy during tough times.

Going with the hardcore versus casual dilemma, entertain me, how does this explain DSi's sales?

Vinnk

markatisu said:
What kind of legs were you looking for with roughly 10k available and no sign of a 2nd shipment. At least nobody has reported it price collapsing yet

This.

It seems Namco wants to forget they had anything to do with this game. After not compleatly tanking its first week Namco seemed to get frightened that they might have a tiny bit of sucess on Wii and set out to make sure that didn't happen. They sent no second shipment (or if they did it was not enough to make it out of the big cities). And took out no ads that could have possibly given it legs (or at least let people know it was out).

There is no price collapse on this title and I don't expect one because there is no surplus of copies. If Namco never ship any more copies of this game I wouldn't be shocked if 5 years from now it will be one of those hard to get games that people pay high prices for on ebay.

The weird thing is that for an RPG (a very front-loaded genre we all know), no used copies have turned up in my town yet (or if they have they were rebought before I saw them).

Fragile is weird. I mean can you have a (nearly) "sold-out flop"?

donny2112

markatisu said:
But do you honestly believe it will lead to a new color, bundle or price drop? None of those seem like a viable option

Bundle? Possibly with Wii Sports Resort. Japan's never had a bundle, remember. Games would be the biggest spurring influence, though (see 360 last year). For that, I'm hoping/expecting something to be done (at least announcements) with whenever the Motion+ conference is.

favouriteflavour said:
I would guess Wii sales are down and PS3 sales steady because of the recession. The hardcore audience will still buy during tough times.

Totally explains U.S. sales. Thanks for clearing it up for us!

Top Bottom