• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/02 - 03/08

Second said:
Never knew NES was such a monster there...
While it still seems surprising given that overall gaming has increased with time, it did go even longer than PS2 before its successor arrived (~7.3 years > 6.3), and also had a few good years after.
test_account said:
Wow, i didnt know that the NES and the SNES (or the Famicom and the Super Famicom) was that popular in Japan. If i am not mistaken, the NES sold like maybe 7 million consoles in the whole Europe for example.
A little more, but EU was definitely their bum market in the past.
NES_EU

So the PSP is at 11.9 mil, coud it hit 15 mil by the end of the year? If the PSP4000 and MHP3 is true, then I think it can, that would be incredible for a 2nd place console to do that well in Japan.

AranhaHunter said:
So the PSP is at 11.9 mil, coud it hit 15 mil by the end of the year? If the PSP4000 and MHP3 is true, then I think it can, that would be incredible for a 2nd place console to do that well in Japan.
Probably not. To do that from now to the end of the year it would have to do 10% better than the equivalent period in 2008, whereas so far this year it's down about 38%.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Probably not. To do that from now to the end of the year it would have to do 10% better than the equivalent period in 2008, whereas so far this year it's down about 38%.

You don't think MHP3 and PSP4000 could provide such a spike? Of course if those 2 don't come then I'll agree that there's no way it'll reach it this year.

Atreides

AranhaHunter said:
You don't think MHP3 and PSP4000 could provide such a spike? Of course if those 2 don't come then I'll agree that there's no way it'll reach it this year.

Last year they had PSP3000, so PSP4000 won't help against last year numbers anyway. I doubt that MHP3 will come this year, and even if it does, I don't think that sales will increase much. Most people interested in MH already have a PSP.

Atreides said:
Most people interested in MH already have a PSP.

we keep saying that but the game keep on selling meaning new player still coming to Monster Hunter. I don't know how they did it, but that thing sells. if they ever make a bundle with psp4000, I think it will matter. just give some bonus like mini figurine or special plate with mh drawing on the back of psp and I think it will sell a lot of units

ccbfan

Atreides said:
Last year they had PSP3000, so PSP4000 won't help against last year numbers anyway. I doubt that MHP3 will come this year, and even if it does, I don't think that sales will increase much. Most people interested in MH already have a PSP.

Depends on what the PSP4000 is, the PSP3000 was barely a revision at all. It was basically just like that GBA better screen revision.

If the PSP4000 is what it is rumored to be. It could definitely cause some major boost.

Even then though it would still be hard pressed to reach 15 mil this year.

It would definitely reach 15 mil lifetime. I wonder what it'll reach lifetime. Can it beat the GBA?

AranhaHunter said:
You don't think MHP3 and PSP4000 could provide such a spike?
I don't see yet why they'd cause a bigger effect than previous MHPs and previous revisions. Especially since it's not like they're coming out tomorrow. Even if they (or something similarly big) did hit in, say, September, if sales until that point were down then the September-December increase would end up needing to be much more than 10%.

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
NES_EU
Ah ok, thanks for the info! :) The highest serial number i have seen on a european NES is like 6.5 million or something, so i just guessed that this were some of the "last" (relatively speaking) NES consoles that were made, but there might be a higher serial number as well that i havnt seen :)

I just remembered that NES consoles in Europe doesnt always start with the same serial letters. Most of the european NES consoles starts their serial number with "PE", while for example an italian NES console (i just checked mine) starts with "PM". Italy used a so-called PAL-A system on their NES consoles, while most of the rest of europe used PAL-B, so i guess this is why they have a different letter combination infront of the serial number. United Kingdom and Australia also used the PAL-A system, but i dont know if these consoles' serial number also starts with "PM".

The console that i have seen that has a serial number around something like 6.5 million had "PE" infront of the serial number if i remember correctly. So if you add the "PM" serial numbers as well to the "PE" serial numbers, then i can see that 8.56 million NES consoles were shipped to Europe and not about 7 million as i first thought :)

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
NES_EU
Ah ok, thanks for the info! :) The highest serial number i have seen on a european NES is like 6.5 million or something, so i just guessed that this were some of the "last" (relatively speaking) NES consoles that were made, but there might be a higher serial number as well that i havnt seen :)

I just remembered that NES consoles in Europe doesnt always start with the same serial letters. Most of the european NES consoles starts their serial number with "PE", while for example an italian NES console (i just checked mine) starts with "PM". Italy used a so-called PAL-A system on their NES consoles, while most of the rest of europe used PAL-B, so i guess this is why they have a different letter combination infront of the serial number. United Kingdom and Australia also used the PAL-A system, but i dont know if these consoles' serial number also starts with "PM".

The console that i have seen that has a serial number around something like 6.5 million had "PE" infront of the serial number if i remember correctly. So if you add the "PM" serial numbers as well to the "PE" serial numbers, then i can see that 8.56 million NES consoles were shipped to Europe and not about 7 million as i first thought :)

donny2112

For the Famitsu charts, would it be useful to list the percentage change from the previous week for those games in the Top 10 that charted the previous week?

Example:

Famitsu Feb 23-Mar 1

01./00. [PS3] Yakuza 3 (SEGA) - 356,867 / NEW
02./00. [PSP] Shin Sangoku Musou: Multi Raid (Koei) - 227,309 / NEW
03./03. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo) - 56,266 / 334,930 (-4%)
04./00. [WII] One Piece Unlimited Cruise: Episode 2 (Namco Bandai Games) - 47,166 / NEW
05./00. [NDS] Game Center CX: Arino no Chousenjou 2 (Namco Bandai Games) - 46,786 / NEW
06./00. [NDS] Sunday x Magazine Nettou! Dream Nine (Konami) - 24,366 / NEW
07./02. [PSP] The Idolm@ster SP: Perfect Sun/Missing Moon/Wandering Star (Namco Bandai Games) - 23,557 / 144,828 (-81%)
08./06. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 21,688 / 3,200,787 (+21%)
09./05. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 21,393 / 450,924 (+12%)
10./01. [360] Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope (Square Enix) - 20,196 / 186,223 (-88%)

?

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
For the Famitsu charts, would it be useful to list the percentage change from the previous week for those games in the Top 10 that charted the previous week?
Ye, i would not mind that at least :)

donny2112

test_account said:
Ye, i would not mind that at least :)

The idea is that a % change from the previous week can tell more than simply stating the rank from the previous week. For example, both MHP2G (BEST) and Wii Fit decreased in rank while they increased in sales for the most recent Famitsu update. You can also see just how frontloaded the PSP Idolm@ster games and Star Ocean 4 are, while also being able to see that ML3 has great legs currently.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Captain Smoker said:
New NES - million seller (42th now):

Kirby's Adventure: 1.000.000

http://www.geocities.jp/v7160c_l5/fc.html

Also, here's a Nintendo system comparison (shipped through Dec. 08):

Hardware:
GB(C): 32.470.000
NDS: 25.670.000
NES: 19.230.000
SNES: 17.170.000
GBA: 16.950.000
WII: 7.800.000
N64: 5.540.000
GCN: 4.040.000
-------------------------
Total: 128.870.000

Software:
NES: 225.860.000
SNES: 194.850.000
GB(C): 157.060.000
NDS: 142.120.000
GBA: 72.940.000
N64: 39.750.000
WII: 32.100.000
GCN: 27.530.000
Total: 892.210.000

Tie Ratio:
NES: 11,75
SNES: 11,35
N64: 7,18
GCN: 6,81
NDS: 5,54
GB(C): 4,84
GBA: 4,30
WII: 4,12
Total: 6,92
Yay kirby!

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
The idea is that a % change from the previous week can tell more than simply stating the rank from the previous week. For example, both MHP2G (BEST) and Wii Fit decreased in rank while they increased in sales for the most recent Famitsu update. You can also see just how frontloaded the PSP Idolm@ster games and Star Ocean 4 are, while also being able to see that ML3 has great legs currently.
Ye, i think it would be interesting if you posted the prencetage of decrease and/or increase of the games from week to week. I dont think that i have really thought much about the percentage decrease/increase of games from week to week before, so i would not mind at all if you posted this info :)

donny2112

Random idea games that could be announced and released this year as part of a 2nd half push in Japan.

* More Wii Fit (with optional Motion+ support; uses Wii Fit channel to track work in both original game and its expansion)
* Wario Ware WiiBo (with optional Motion+ support but primarily WiiBo usage)
* Mario or Zelda spin-off packaged with Motion+ ala Link's Crossbow Training
* DQ:Swords 2 with Motion+ support
* Mario Party 9 with Balance Board support

Along with Wii Sports Resort and Mario & Sonic: Winter Olympics already announced.

Pikmin 3 may come out this Fall, but with how well Play on Wii: Pikmin has done and with Play on Wii: Pikmin 2 having just been released, it could be an early 2010 release instead.

The lowest selling of these games predecessors is Link's Crossbow Training @ 228K followed by Pikmin 2 @ 471K.

Spiegel

Famitsu 03/09 - 03/15

1. PS3 Musou Orochi Z (Koei)
2. PS3 Resident Evil 5 (Capcom)
3. NDS Picross (Nintendo)
4. PSP Shin Sangoku Musou Multi Raid (Koei)
5. NDS Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo)
6. WII Pikmin 2 (Nintendo)
7. PS3 Yakuza 3 (Sega)
8. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2G (Capcom)
9. NDS 7th Dragon (Sega)
10. WII Wii Fit (Nintendo)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Spiegel said:
Famitsu 03/09 - 03/15

1. PS3 Musou Orochi Z (Koei)
2. PS3 Resident Evil 5 (Capcom)
3. NDS Picross (Nintendo)
7. PS3 Yakuza 3 (Sega)
9. NDS 7th Dragon (Sega)

Wonder if that is the most PS3 titles ever in the top 10?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
wait, really? Picross at number 3?

it must have had an exceptional day one : week one turnaround or else software is in the pits this week

markatisu

Stumpokapow said:

it must have had an exceptional day one : week one turnaround or else software is in the pits this week

I am thinking low software sales all around

Nice to see Pikmin 2 in the Top 10

schuelma said:
Wonder if that is the most PS3 titles ever in the top 10?

I think more interesting will be to see if the overall numbers are decent for RE5 and Yakuza 3 this week, because as Stumpkapow says it could be a slow week overall.

If it isn't a slow week, these extended legs of PS3 titles (hardcore titles at that) are definitely going to have some publishers taking notice.

ITA84

Stumpokapow said:

I think it'll be a bit of both. Picross 3D seems harder to get into than the traditional Picross, I wonder how it will fare in terms of legs.

markatisu

Sho_Nuff82 said:
If it isn't a slow week, these extended legs of PS3 titles (hardcore titles at that) are definitely going to have some publishers taking notice.

I think it will take more than 1 week of "legs" to show publishers anything

If the sales are normal and RE5/Yakuza show not so severe drops they would be an exception and not the rule when it comes to PS3 games

schuelma

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Err..well given how high those two titles started, 1-2 weeks of staying on the charts isn't really any indication of legs yet.

markatisu

Luckyman said:
3rd parties dominating on Sony platforms and Nintendo on Nintendo platforms. What a suprise.

Did some big third party release come out for the Wii this week that should be in the Top 10?

One Piece 2 was the last "big" thing that came out for Wii and its probably somewhere in the Top 20

donny2112

The not-so-reliable thedrill.no-blog.jp has updated. Here's what they have.

1. Musou Orochi Z - ~100K
2. PS3 RE5 - ~80K / ~400K
3. Picross DS - ~30K
4. Mario & Luigi 3 - ~30K
5. Musou: Multi-Raid - ~30K / ~300K

If accurate, it's a much better second week for RE5, than I thought. :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So it was a bit of both. 30k is a solid turnaround from 10k--very solid, actually... but it's a low week for software.

after looking at the charts, was a good idea for koei to release 2 Musou games in a short period of thime? i know psp and ps3 userbases are probably different, but still...

°°ToMmY°° said:
after looking at the charts, was a good idea for koei to release 2 Musou games in a short period of thime? i know psp and ps3 userbases are probably different, but still...
They release so many Musou games, it hardly matters. At least these two are really different kinds of games.

donny2112

°°ToMmY°° said:

Musou: Multi-Raid is a local multi-play (i.e. Monster Hunter) type game on a very Monster Hunter friendly system. Musou Orochi Z, IIRC from Kurosaki Ichigo, is a re-release of the first two Musou Orochi games packaged together. This isn't two mainline Musou releases being released in close proximity. Also, isn't Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Empires releasing in 6 weeks or so? Maybe they wanted to get Musou Orochi Z out well before to get the userbase ready.

Segata Sanshiro said:
They release so many Musou games, it hardly matters. At least these two are really different kinds of games.

This, too. :)

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
If accurate, it's a much better second week for RE5, than I thought. :)

Yeah, Ps3 version needs good legs to make up for the non-existent legs of the 360 version.

It seems like Re5 PS3 is going to become the best selling (single SKU) Resident Evil game since the psx era. :p

Spiegel said:
Yeah, Ps3 version needs good legs to make up for the non-existent legs of the 360 version.

It seems like Re5 PS3 is going to become the best selling (single SKU) Resident Evil game since the psx era. :p
Well hey now, we don't know for *sure* yet that the 360 version has worse legs. It could sell like 19k and still be showing the same "legs" as the PS3 version. Unlikely, sure, but let's not point and laugh before the dummy even steps on the rake.

Spiegel

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well hey now, we don't know for *sure* yet that the 360 version has worse legs. It could sell like 19k and still be showing the same "legs" as the PS3 version. Unlikely, sure, but let's not point and laugh before the dummy even steps on the rake.

That's true.

For some reason I was expecting the top 10 to end at 15k. My bad

Spiegel

Sinobi

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/theme-10000122778.html

PS3 Musou Orochi Z 104k
PS3 Resident Evil 5 62k (~384k LTD)
360 Resident Evil 5 13k (~93k LTD)
NDS Picross 38k? (I'm not sure)
PS3 Yakuza 3 (~439k LTD)
NDS Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (~400k LTD)
NDS Atelier Annie 15k
PSP Resistance Retribution 13k
NDS 7th Dragon (~100k LTD)

Top Ten + numbers

1. PS3 Musou Orochi Z (Koei) 104k
2. PS3 Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) 62k
3. NDS Picross (Nintendo) 38k?

7. PS3 Yakuza 3 (Sega)
9. NDS 7th Dragon (Sega)

donny2112

Spiegel said:
PS3 Resident Evil 5 62k (~384k LTD)
360 Resident Evil 5 13k (~93k LTD)

RE5 having a 75K second week is much closer to what I was predicting. That would make the second week ~19% of the launch week.

Thanks for posting those, Spiegel. sinobi is blocked for me, at the moment. :)

schuelma

Segata Sanshiro said:
I dunno if I'd call 14k all that good, but that's the nature of the hardcore games business in Japan: (hopefully) in like a lion, out like a lamb.

Isn't it 25K?

Top Bottom