• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/30 - 04/05

markatisu

Tideas said:
wow. color me surprised at LBP. how did it get pass 100k+. It dropped off the charts so fast and never came back.

Talk about chugging along, hah.

Wow stuff sells of the charts, who would have thought. Whenever we get the Top 500 I think we will see quite a few titles we thought bombed or did not do well having some decent results

Acosta

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I don't think we can do such insightful analysis about what the users think about each MH games but anyway. MH3 will offer just what MH2 did, a brand new Monster Hunter for the established fanbase to play for the first time. I don't really know the point of this, its the portables entries that are rehashes of the consoles ones, MH3 is the brand new game. Once again, you quickly dismiss the online features and the local multiplayer. See Monster Hunter 2 again, why did they buy it then? MH3 is to MHP2 what MH2 was to MHP. Its only your opinion MH only works as a portable game, there's nothing to back up those claims, and there's proof (MH2) that it can capture the userbase without it.

Fact is, this is a guess game, and with provide our own reasons to our arguments. I find yours lacking and I'm calling you out because them. You say I quickly dismiss the multiplayer aspect of Tri and you are right because it's going to be clearly inferior to the multiplayer experience on PSP, and that's why Tri can't hope to capture the same audience. Both may be named Monster Hunter, but they are not offering the same, if you want to make a reasonable prediction you should look at the closer one in the same category (Monster Hunter 2 for PS2) and then guessing how many extra players Tri will have based on the increased popularity.

How can you bring up Pokemon, really? There's no pokemon on consoles. Are we buying what you think Nintendo thinks about it to back up this discussion? Come on, call me back when Nintendo releases their brand new pokemon title with online features on the Wii and then later ports it to DS with local features. Because that's the scenario Monster Hunter is in.

There seems to be quite a lot of people here that think that Tri is going to sell a mere 10% of the PSP version based solely on their opinion about whats makes those games desirable to be bought. Even with proof that it wasn't the case before.

Where is that Pokemon with online features for Wii? Why is not made? Nintendo didn't even try to make a big main Pokemon title to save GameCube, why? You keep ignoring why Monster Hunter is popular in Japan. It didn't achieve the status of million seller in a console with higher userbase than Wii, there is no reason to think Tri can do 6X that in the actual scenario of anemic home console sales.

Again, Monster Hunter Portable is not the same experience than Monster Hunter Home, this is not opinion, it´s a fact. The opinion part comes when we try to guess how many of the new players of the portable version will jump to the home version. My most generous guess is 500.000 added to the Monster Hunter 2 userbase, so around the million, and I wouldn't be surprised to see less than that.

The fun part of all this is that when the game is released we will see who was right, so it´s not an opinion wars that goes nowhere. We will see.

Koren

AniHawk said:
EDIT: And what is it with Pikmin 2 selling less than Pikmin 1? This is the second time it's happened.
How is it strange that the better game sell better than the other ? :D

(Honestly, I think that so close releases usually see the second one with lower sames. In fact, it's even more common : see GT or FF, for example)

Acosta said:
The fun part of all this is that when the game is released we will see who was right, so it´s not an opinion wars that goes nowhere. We will see.
Not going to keep an endless discussion so yeah whatever, but I'm not giving any predictions here, the only thing I did is explain the MH2 scenario when I posted what a potential MH3 should do. So no, we won't see if I'm right or not because I didn't predict anything to happen, I kept telling what happened in the past and how it would translate over the present barring any different scenarios affecting actual sales. Repeating myself just in case:
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Not a prediction, just an opinion on how much it should do. The franchise could also stop growing and/or be handicapped to platforms where their full potential can't be achieved but I'm not taking those scenarios into what the games should sell.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
There's still quite a lack of information about its release, thus why I'm not going to predict how much it'll sell

Famitsu Software Stuff

Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (3432) is now the top Mario & Luigi game, and still has yet to drop from the top 10.

Yakuza 3 (3445) ranks 30th this week, so it's probably the last time we'll get an LTD update from the top 30. Yakuza 2's (2540) lead is growing.

Tenbatsu

schuelma said:
Just Summer for now. I have a feeling we might get a release date soon after MHG hits (4/23). I'm betting Capcom wants to sucker as many as possible into getting the demo before they announce the date :lol
Yes! Those bastards didn't release any new info for the game for 3 months plus! Or better still, after they announced MHG!

Kyoufu

Can't wait to see naysayers eating crow when MH3 sells a million+. The fact that the portable versions have created millions of addicted MH fans should not be ignored.

donny2112

Kyoufu said:
Can't wait to see naysayers eating crow when MH3 sells a million+. The fact that the portable versions have created millions of addicted MH fans should not be ignored.

Animal Crossing GCN sold 1 million across both its versions (641K + 386K). Animal Crossing: Wild World sold ~5 million. The fact that the portable version created millions of addicted AC fans should not be ignored.

Animal Crossing: City Folk has sold 1.1 million which is slightly higher than the GCN total across consistent platforms (both being Nintendo consoles). Monster Hunter 3 is changing platforms (Sony to Nintendo).

Acosta

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
MH3 should do 3m+

Ok, not a prediction. Just what I consider like a wrong opinion based on a flawed reading of the Monster Hunter 2 sales. If my prediction is right I reserve my right to say you were wrong even if it wasn't a fixed prediction (you can do the same of course, I will come here and eat delicious crow).

Linkup

Many of those fans fall in love with the game along with their friends. If the online isn't done right in MH3(no indication that it is right now) then I don't see why they would bother. At this point I expect Capcom to take their MH2P engine, improve it, add most of the MH3 Wii features and release it about 6 months later for PSP etc. Wii = 500k and I see no reason to be anymore optimistic than that.

Eteric Rice

Linkup said:
Many of those fans fall in love with the game along with their friends. If the online isn't done right in MH3(no indication that it is right now) then I don't see why they would bother. At this point I expect Capcom to take their MH2P engine, improve it, add most of the MH3 Wii features and release it about 6 months later for PSP etc. Wii = 500k and I see no reason to be anymore optimistic than that.

I really, really don't think Capcom is going to use Nintendo's friend codes system.

At least, I fucking hope not.

donny2112 said:
Animal Crossing GCN sold 1 million across both its versions (641K + 386K). Animal Crossing: Wild World sold ~5 million. The fact that the portable version created millions of addicted AC fans should not be ignored.
Adding regular Animal Crossing and e+ would be like counting sales of PS2's Monster Hunter and Monster Hunter G as a single game.

Even if we were to do that, it ignores the time factor. The sum of AC GCN at 5 months and AC e+ at 5 months would be below 750K.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
Adding regular Animal Crossing and e+ would be like counting sales of PS2's Monster Hunter and Monster Hunter G as a single game.

Even if we were to do that, it ignores the time factor. The sum of AC GCN at 5 months and AC e+ at 5 months would be below 750K.

Yeah, I thought it was a little hokey when putting it together. Here's a revised statement.

Animal Crossing GCN sold 641K in its first release. Animal Crossing: Wild World sold ~5 million. The fact that the portable version created millions of addicted AC fans should not be ignored.

Animal Crossing: City Folk has sold 1.1 million and will probably end up ~2x the GCN total across consistent platforms (both being Nintendo consoles). Monster Hunter 3 is changing platforms (Sony to Nintendo). 8x increase for AC handheld over console resulted in 2x increase for AC console across consistent consoles. 5x increase for MHP over console MH results in ?? across a change in platforms?

Linkup

Eteric Rice said:
I really, really don't think Capcom is going to use Nintendo's friend codes system.

At least, I fucking hope not.

Still they will charge you, making meeting up friends a pain, or you won't be able to tell when your friends are online through wiic24. If they don't do any of those and also don't use friends codes I would be far more optimistic.

Acosta said:
Ok, not a prediction. Just what I consider like a wrong opinion based on a flawed reading of the Monster Hunter 2 sales. If my prediction is right I reserve my right to say you were wrong even if it wasn't a fixed prediction (you can do the same of course, I will come here and eat delicious crow).
I'm not going to do the same even if you actually said what you think will happen. I didn't, but feel free to say whatever you want, I'm not going to tell you what you can say or not, but I know I won't be right or wrong because I made no prediction. You can also quote me on the FFXIII 2m+ "wrong opinion" if you want. I will actually predict whenever I feel like predicting down the line, you may also take that one if you wish, that's the only one I'd take myself if you actually want my opinion this time.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
MassiveAttack said:
Next week's PS3 sales are going to be very, very interesting indeed...
My projection would be at least 50k BUT I have no idea how many of the FF7 bundles are being made available within the few days of tracking for the release.

Of course I could be wrong and may be over estimating the pull of the FF brand.

LiquidMetal14 said:
My projection would be at least 50k BUT I have no idea how many of the FF7 bundles are being made available within the few days of tracking for the release.

Hmmm... perhaps we should start a prediction thread. ;-)

50K is hardly an overestimation.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
MassiveAttack said:
Next week's PS3 sales are going to be very, very interesting indeed...

Well we won't know those until the week after next. I would expect 30-40K?

jesusraz

Is there a reason the first post hasn't been updated with the full Top 50 and usual hardware listings?

donny2112 said:
Misc. LTD Updates
[NDS] Avalon Code (Marvelous) - 66,207
[NDS] Bokura wa Kaseki Holder (We are Fossil Diggers) (Nintendo) - 252,085
[NDS] Brain Training 2 (Nintendo) - 5,000,391
[NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5) - 308,017
[NDS] Nanashi no Game (The Game with no Name) (Square Enix) - 61,927
[NDS] Sigma Harmonics (Square Enix) - 62,480
[NDS] World Destruction: Michibi Kareshi Ishi (SEGA) - 93,104
[WII] 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (SEGA) - 64,189
[WII] Wii Music (Nintendo) - 383,076
Nanashi no Game was around 40-45,000 last time we had an update, with talk of people not being able to find it in stores, so it's great to see it crept its way up further. I still don't see why S-E hasn't given this and Sigma Harmonics a shot in the US/Europe.

We Are Fossil Diggers and Inazuma Eleven both showed fantastic sales longevity, especially Level-5's great football RPG. Thankfully it seems NoE has plans for WAFD in Europe, and hopefully IE is on its way, but is merely being held up because of a lengthy translation process... *fingers crossed* I wonder if by the time IE2 hits in October whether or not the first game will have managed to creep to 400,000+ sales, getting a timely boost when the sequel lands, helping it eventually to the 500,000 mark?

Anyone remember MMV's expectations for Avalon Code in Japan? I recall it wasn't too lofty, so ~66,000 doesn't seem awful. Perhaps costs were a bit lower than a normal RPG made from scratch thanks to Matrix using the same basic engine for FFIII, FFIV, Wind of Nostalgio and Avalon Code?

428's off-chart performance also appears quite impressive...

Linkup

Sales forecast for FY2009 (first number is domestic sales, number in parenthesis are North American and European sales) :

• Little King Story (Wii) : 45k (NA : 120k , EU : 124k)

• Oboro Muramasa Youtouden (Wii) : 56k

• Harvest Fishing (DS) : (EU : 35k)

• Harvest Moon : Island of Happiness (DS) : (EU : 450k)

• Rune Factory (DS) : (EU : 80k)

• Luminous Arc Will (DS) : 86k

• Steal Princess (DS) : 19k

• Avalon Code (DS) : 56k (NA :40k, EU :39k)

• Tokyo Majin Gakuen (DS) : 62k

• Valhalla Knights 2 (PSP) : 68k (NA : 30k)

Avalon Code 56k, so it's 10k more. Muramasa has 40k to go from its 16k first day.

t3nmilez said:
Wow, Little Big Planet slowly working its way up.

It's $10 now.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
See Acosta's post.
Ye, i did check his post now, but from what i can see, he only asks why Nintendo havnt put a main Pokemon game on a home console and what the reason for this could be, and not if it is the same type of game or not :)

I have hardly played the Pokemon home console games, but from my understanding, these games are mostly only about the Pokemon battle stuff , and they dont have the same RPG elements that the handheld Pokemon games have. Maybe this can be one of the main reasons why the home console Pokemon games havnt sold as well (or relatively close to at least) as the handheld Pokemon games?

donny2112 said:
You can't take the Wii version on the train and play with three friends during the trip for free. It is not the same as the handheld versions. That portable, play anywhere, multiplayer capability is one of the main draws, to my understanding.
I see what you mean, that Monster Hunter 3 isnt that comparable to the handheld Monster Hunter games because that MH3 doesnt have the portability and the multiplayer part (MH3 have online play though, but i dont know how popular that is Japan). I dont disagree with this, since these things are probably the main things that makes the handheld MH games so popular as you say.

But i should have explained in my previous here what i ment with "the same type of game", i am sorry about that :\ What i mean is how the game looks and play (3rd person view, monster hunting etc.). From my experience, this doesnt seem to be the same case with the handheld and home console Pokemon games, because the home console version doesnt have the same RPG elements as the handheld Pokemon games have.

If someone likes the Monster Hunter games because of how the game looks and play, they will probably enjoy all Monster Hunter games, even they are portable or not. But with the Pokemon games, maybe some people wont have too much of an interest if the RPG elements arent in the games, if you know what i mean? That is why i asked about "the same type of games" :)

But sure, i dont expect Monster Hunter 3 to be just as popular and sell just as much as the handheld Monster Hunter games because of the lack of the portability and local 4 player multiplayer. But maybe that MH3 will appeal more to the MH fans compared to how the home console Pokemon games appeal to the Pokemon fans, because MH3 is the same type of game as the handheld MH games? But maybe that many of the MH fans arent that interested in a MH game if it isnt portable? I dont know, i am just asking :)

EDIT:

Linkup said:
It's $10 now.
Little Big Planet only cost $10 in Japan now? Then i must buy a copy :) Or do you mean in another country? The cheapest i have seen LBP is for £12.99 (which is about $19 US dollars) including free shipping at Play.com. This is the european version of LBP.

donny2112

test_account said:
Ye, i did check his post now, but from what i can see, he only asks why Nintendo havnt put a main Pokemon game on a home console and what the reason for this could be, and not if it is the same type of game or not :)

He speculates that the reason that Nintendo doesn't put a full-fledged Pokemon game on the consoles is that that Nintendo believes that the console game would need different hooks. He's saying that it's purposefully not the same type of game.

test_account said:
I have hardly played the Pokemon home console games, but from my understanding, these games are mostly only about the Pokemon battle stuff , and they dont have the same RPG elements that the handheld Pokemon games have.

I believe there were minor RPG elements (3RL podcast :lol ) in one of the N64 Pokemon Colosseum games, and Pokemon XD on the GameCube had a fairly robust RPG single-player mode. They're still not exactly like the handheld Pokemon games, but Nintendo has tried putting more meat in the console versions. The Wii game doesn't have a single-player RPG mode, to my knowledge, though.

test_account said:
Maybe this can be one of the main reasons why the home console Pokemon games havnt sold as well (or relatively close to at least) as the handheld Pokemon games?

Over a million for the first N64 Pokemon Stadium game. Definitely not too bad, though still well below the handheld games. The next three topped out around 700K. Pokemon XD and the Wii game didn't get over 400K, though.

xiked said:
this will make PS3 get a huge sale spike, ¨~200k, you heard it here first!
Not even final FFs or DQs made PS2 do that.

This is the thirteenth week of Famitsu software sales for the year, so a full quarter. Using the combined Top 30 we can get a pretty good idea of the top games of the year so far. In fact, of the Top 10 the only one we don't have complete data for is Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2, since it was last in the Top 30 a month ago. So while it sits #8 on this list, in reality it's probably #6.

Code:
 1. 467,891  DS  - Mario & Luigi RPG 3
 2. 459,876  PS3 - Yakuza 3
 3. 428,545  PS3 - Resident Evil 5
 4. 356,305  PSP - Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST)
 5. 355,784  PSP - Shin Sangoku Musou: Multi Raid
 6. 301,609  Wii - Wii Fit
 7. 300,753  DS  - Rhythm Heaven
 8. 296,037  PSP - Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2
 9. 243,240  DS  - Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode
10. 220,550  Wii - Taiko no Tatsujin Wii

t3nmilez

Linkup said:
It's $10 now.

What? Where? It definitely dropped, I see it around 3000yen at most stores, maybe there are some stores which were super overstocked and are selling them for 1000, but that seems absurdly low...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Sorry this one is late.

With this week's update, I'd like to post several thoughts and see what you guys think. Here goes:

First of all, I'd like to pass this weekly thread posting to another willing and capable individual. I just don't have enough time. If I miss a hardware update or a software list the moment it releases I have this weird nerd-guilt wash over me, knowing that all of us are excited for the results. If I miss a post at ChartGet, it's on me, but if I miss a post here, I feel like I'm standing in the way of somebody else that could do an equal job. With that said, I'm not in a rush to stop, but I'd like to be finished posting these within a couple weeks. Let's have somebody else in place by March.

Second, if my opinion matters, I think the job should go to somebody that has access to past data, can translate Japanese (please be better than my horrendous Babelfish translate?), and has the ability to post the moment the data is released. I think any one of these guys would be a great fit, assuming he would: JoshuaJSlone, Donny2112, or bttb. If I missed another person that would do just as well, be my guest and sort it out amongst yourselves.

Last, with JoshuaJSlone's amazing research and ability for mind-numbingly dull archive research, we put together THIS little media create thread archive that you might enjoy. Great for laughs. You'll see the results of it under the "past weeks" section. Just click on the year and BLAMMO, you're staring at 52 weeks of threads in a nice column format. I really hope you enjoy it.

31. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Saikyou Penguin Densetsu! (Konami)
32. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
33. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
34. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 2: The Seven Island Adventure (Namco Bandai)
35. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo)
36. [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade DS (Hudson)
37. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
38. [PS3] Demon's Souls (SCEI)
39. [NDS] Power Pro Kun Pocket 11 (Konami)
40. [PS2] Amagami (Enterbrain)
41. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra (Nintendo)
42. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 12: PES 2009 (Konami)
43. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
44. [NDS] Aibou DS (Tecmo)
45. [PS2] Yakuza 2 (Playstation 2 The Best) (SEGA)
46. [PSP] Hayate no Gotoku: Nightmare Paradise (Konami)
47. [PSP] Sarugetchu: Piposaru Senki (SCEI)
48. [NDS] Shounen Sunday x Shounen Magazine Nettou! Dream Nine (Konami)
49. [WII] Play on Wii: Mario Tennis (Nintendo)
50. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (BEST) (SEGA)

SYSTEM COUNT
NDS - 22
PSP - 9
WII - 8
PS3 - 6
PS2 - 4
360 - 1

MC-THREAD-HARDWARE-TITLE.png

Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week |    YTD    |    LTD    [/U][/B]
NDS      |    62,409 |    65,809 | 1,070,293 | 26,189,936
PSP      |    48,118 |    54,148 |   747,984 | 12,112,003
PS3      |    20,362 |    22,825 |   368,472 |  2,990,900
WII      |    15,525 |    17,276 |   405,263 |  7,884,164
360      |     7,812 |     4,849 |   152,341 |    982,881
PS2      |     5,394 |     5,246 |    81,253 | 21,480,777
--------------------------------------------------------
DSi      |    53,680 |    57,401 |   853,133 |  2,082,492
DSL      |     8,729 |     8,408 |   217,170 | 17,519,975

MC-THREAD-CHARTS.png

SOFTWARE | HARDWARE | CONSOLES | HANDHELDS

tn_mc-1-total-weekly-PIE-123.png
tn_mc-1-total-weekly-MS-123.png

MC-THREAD-PASTWEEKS-TITLE.png

2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009

Media Create Sales: 03/23 - 03/29
Media Create Sales: 03/16 - 03/22
Media Create Sales: 03/09 - 03/15
Media Create Sales: 02/23 - 03/01
Media Create Sales: 02/16 - 02/22

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Spiegel said:
Valkyria Chronicles is in the Top 50, i bet it'll sell close to 190-200k when all is said and done.
That's the [Best] re-release which only came out a month or so ago, though.

Sage00 said:
That's the [Best] re-release which only came out a month or so ago, though.

So that the best version released in 2009? Does that mean it has trophies? Or is the fact that it's a re-release exempt it from that rule?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Tylahedras said:
So that the best version released in 2009? Does that mean it has trophies? Or is the fact that it's a re-release exempt it from that rule?
I think re-releases have exemptions as they're just the same game repackaged and discounted.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
He speculates that the reason that Nintendo doesn't put a full-fledged Pokemon game on the consoles is that that Nintendo believes that the console game would need different hooks. He's saying that it's purposefully not the same type of game.
I understand. I guess it depends on how you define "the same type of game". If Nintendo had released for example Pokemon Platinum to the Wii and made it exactly like the DS version is, then it would still be the same game in this context. The Wii version wouldnt have the portablilty factor or the touch screen stuff though, but how the game itself plays (the same RPG elements, talking to people, collecting Pokemons, have Pokemon battles etc.) would be the same. This is what i ment with "the same type of game" :)

But since the Wii version wouldnt have the portability factor or the touch screen stuff, it wouldnt be exactly "the same type of game" in this way, i agree.

Maybe the portability factor and/or the touch screen stuff is what makes the handheld Pokemon games so popular, so a console version might not have sold as much a handheld Pokemon game even if the game were the same when it comes to how the game plays. So it might be that a console Pokemon game would need some different hooks as you mention to have a chance to sell as well (or relatively close) as the handheld Pokemon games does, i agree :)

donny2112 said:
I believe there were minor RPG elements (3RL podcast :lol ) in one of the N64 Pokemon Colosseum games, and Pokemon XD on the GameCube had a fairly robust RPG single-player mode. They're still not exactly like the handheld Pokemon games, but Nintendo has tried putting more meat in the console versions. The Wii game doesn't have a single-player RPG mode, to my knowledge, though.
Ah ok, i forgot about the Pokemon for the Gamecube. I havnt tried it, so maybe there are some RPG elements in this game :) I think i have only tried the N64 Pokemon games for a few minutes or so, but i was under the impression that the N64 Pokemon games were mostly about the Pokemon battle stuff, but since i havnt played them that much myself i could be wrong :)

donny2112 said:
Over a million for the first N64 Pokemon Stadium game. Definitely not too bad, though still well below the handheld games. The next three topped out around 700K. Pokemon XD and the Wii game didn't get over 400K, though.
Selling over a million copies is definitely not bad indeed :) I had forgotten about that the first N64 Pokemon Stadium game sold this much. I only remembered that the Wii Pokemon game sold something like 300k to 400k or something, and i thought since the Wii version didnt really have any of the same kind of RPG elements that the handheld Pokemon games have, that maybe this was one of the reasons why a console Pokemon game didnt manage to sell as well, or relatively close to what a handheld Pokemon game does, but i dont know, i am just guessing :)

But about Monster Hunter 3, i think it should be interesting to see how it sells compared to the handheld Monster Hunter games. Without the portability and 4 player local multiplayer in Monster Hunter 3, i guess that it might not sell as well as the handheld MH games, but at least MH3 has 2 player local splitscreen and online play. I dont know if these 2 factors are enough to be able to sell as well as the handheld MH games, but maybe that these 2 factors can get more people interested in the game if these 2 factors werent in the game? I think it should be interesting to see :)

Top Bottom