• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04/06 - 04/12

Laguna

Banned
cvxfreak said:
YEAR OF THE PS3

Yeah, and we aren´t even half through this year, let´s get on the train, things will only get better and better from now on ;)

Either Deca Sports had a (relatively) fantastic weekend or this will be an exceptionally low software week.

Must be a weak week. I doubt number 10 will get past 7k-9k.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Comparison data for the mans:
Pokemon MD1 (DS) had 134k week one, GBA had 121k week one (total 255k week one).
Pokemon MD2 opened to 583k week one.
(Both finished at ~1.5 million)

Pokemon RuSa opened to 1.25 million week one, Emerald to 643k week one (~1/2th)
Pokemon DP opened to 1.5 million week one, Platinum to 967k week one (~2/3rds).

So what we can see is that PMD did not grow from 1 to 2, that it became substantially more frontloaded, that PMD2.5 is smaller compared to PMD2 than either of the recent Pokemon.5 games is compared to their mainline games.

all in all meh

botticus said:
Either Deca Sports had a (relatively) fantastic weekend or this will be an exceptionally low software week.
Wii Fit (#8) managed 10,373 units last week, so Deca Sports 2 should've something like 7,000 units.

Thats just sad really. 57000 more PS3s on the market, and not a single game in the top ten. Why the hell are these people buying hardware for a demo, unless...they are previous owners rebuying for the hardware art.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
pseudocaesar said:
Thats just sad really. 57000 more PS3s on the market, and not a single game in the top ten. Why the hell are these people buying hardware for a demo, unless...they are previous owners rebuying for the hardware art.
Much like the milk-age that takes place with PSP and DS colors.

JudgeN

pseudocaesar said:

I've always wonder why the PS3 doesn't have a game that everyone picks up when they buy the system. Wii has Wii(Whatever), DS has Mario kart, PSP has Monster Hunter, PS3 has nothing. I don't get it at all, this is really a worldwide problem for the PS3.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
pseudocaesar said:
Thats just sad really. 57000 more PS3s on the market, and not a single game in the top ten.
Ah, but there's a 7000Yen demo in the top 3 - it's just not being tracked by game-sale trackers.

gtj1092

JudgeN said:
I've always wonder why the PS3 doesn't have a game that everyone picks up when they buy the system. Wii has Wii(Whatever), DS has Mario kart, PSP has Monster Hunter, PS3 has nothing. I don't get it at all, this is really a worldwide problem for the PS3.

I don't think it was much different then the Ps2 except for the fact there are't 20million Ps3s out there. There was no one game everyone had to buy. Which was great because there was something for just about everyone.

gtj1092 said:
I don't think it was much different then the Ps2 except for the fact there are't 20million Ps3s out there. There was no one game everyone had to buy. Which was great because there was something for just about everyone.
Yeah, this seems pretty true across the world. 360 has Halo/Gears, Wii has Wii Sports/Fit/Play, PS3 has... MGS4 isn't universally appealling, R&C isn't either, KZ2 isn't, etc. Sony should try to do something about that.

gtj1092

neverknowsbest said:
Yeah, this seems pretty true across the world. 360 has Halo/Gears, Wii has Wii Sports/Fit/Play, PS3 has... MGS4 isn't universally appealling, R&C isn't either, KZ2 isn't, etc. Sony should try to do something about that.

But its has always been like that since the Ps1. The brand was built on a collection of IPs. Its never been tied to one or two.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sirolf said:
Goddamn....PS3 has a revival "à la" PSP :D

This is what happens when releases are constant. Maybe Nintendo will finally start chugging shit along.

Next week's numbers will be very interesting. MH3 demo bump vs residuals of the FFXIII demo bump.

pseudocaesar said:
Even if they all bought 3 games to go along with it, they might not have been acting monolithically enough to put a game over the threshold.
schuelma said:
let's not get toooooo carried away.
Seriously. Of course this image doesn't yet include the numbers from demobump week, but
2007-09-10

gtj1092 said:
Yeah. Having a game that a quarter of the userbase picks up is by far the exception rather than the rule.

markatisu

Sirolf said:
Yes i know :)

But i'm really glad to see some fierce competition in the land of the rising sun !

fierce :lol

It is much more interesting then say the EU or the US

So are we going to get FFXIII demo sales or are we just going to have to assume the bundle number and then see what the dvd chart says about Blu-Ray sales?

JoshuaJSlone said:
Even if they all bought 3 games to go along with it, they might not have been acting monolithically enough to put a game over the threshold.

That doesnt really work, 57000 people... there arent even that many games on PS3 that if every person bought 3 but all got different ones they would still chart. Whats number 10 at on that list? 7000 or so?

Rolf NB

neverknowsbest said:
The Japanese goto game for the PS3 is of course Demon's Souls. All these new PS3 owners are simply waiting in line for its next 4.5k shipment.

neverknowsbest said:

Aside from the fact that Sony has never had a MS-Halo type dependancy, as there are sooo many iconic IP's, id say thats down to the fact that the three biggest are un released. GT5, GOW III and FFXIII are all guaranteed multi million mega hits, they are just taking fucking ages to get on the shelves.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
jeremy1456 said:
The only thing i'm surprised is that it's not higher.

Huh? Having the 2nd best bump for a demo, especially after sales have been consistently at its highest point already is pretty surprising IMO.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
pseudocaesar said:
there arent even that many games on PS3 that if every person bought 3 but all got different ones they would still chart.
Classy, real classy. Stuff the "nogames" argument together with really bad math.

Jonnyram

schuelma said:
Huh? Having the 2nd best bump for a demo, especially after sales have been consistently at its highest point already is pretty surprising IMO.
It's not just a bump for a demo, though. The PS3 is a limited edition with FF7-related artwork, as well as FFVII:ACC bundled in. Didn't they originally say they were making 77,777 units? I think it's sold ok, but expected better considering the strength of FFVII.

schuelma

Jonnyram said:
It's not just a bump for a demo, though. The PS3 is a limited edition with FF7-related artwork, as well as FFVII:ACC bundled in. Didn't they originally say they were making 77,777 units? I think it's sold ok, but expected better considering the strength of FFVII.

77K of the hardware? If that's true, then yeah. I assumed it was a limited bundle like 10-15K.

dolemite

Jonnyram said:
That was the PSP bundle with Crisis Core

Opiate

schuelma said:
let's not get toooooo carried away.

While I certainly agree the PS3 isn't overtaking the Wii any time soon, in general, I understand why things so optimistic for the PS3 and so pessimistic for the Wii.

It isn't one single game, or one single demo: it's been a consistent trend of PS3 games and system sales making us go "huh, that's quite good," from the PS3 sales this week, to the PS3's ability to sustain slightly higher sales once the burst of games had come and gone, to Demon Soul's sales, to RE5's sales, to Yakuza's sales. Pretty consistently, we've remarked on the surprisingly positive sales of all of these events.

And the exact opposite is true for the Wii: the system's sales have gone down and down, and the few major games that have been released (Animal Crossing, Wii Music) have all disappointed.

None of these by themselves is all that remarkable: none of these PS3 successes have been breakout smashes, per se. But even as smaller victories (for the PS3) or failures (for the Wii), it's become a consistent trend for months now, and when combines those small but consistent successes and failures, there's reason for some optimism and some pessimism, respectively.

i think that the FFACbuild is sold-out.. right ?

to do a resurrection like the psp sony just needs a really popular game like monster hunter.

gaming in japan is strange.. see xbox 360. After some rpgs now it sells much better than 2005-2006. Ditto for psp after monster hunter. Ps3 ?

schuelma

Opiate said:
While I certainly agree the PS3 isn't overtaking the Wii any time soon, in general, I understand why things so optimistic for the PS3 and so pessimistic for the Wii.

It isn't one single game, or one single demo: it's been a consistent trend of PS3 games and system sales making us go "huh, that's quite good," from the PS3 sales this week, to the PS3's ability to sustain slightly higher sales once the burst of games had come and gone, to Demon Soul's sales, to RE5's sales, to Yakuza's sales. Pretty consistently, we've remarked on the surprisingly positive sales of all of these events.

And the exact opposite is true for the Wii: the system's sales have gone down and down, and the few major games that have been released (Animal Crossing, Wii Music) have all disappointed.

None of these by themselves is all that remarkable: none of these PS3 successes have been breakout smashes, per se. But even as smaller victories (for the PS3) or failures (for the Wii), it's become a consistent trend for months now, and when combines those small but consistent successes and failures, there's reason for some optimism and some pessimism, respectively.

I can understand why there is optimism, but I think its being overplayed with just how horrible the Wii has done- while the decline was slower than I expected, last week PS3 was down to 14K, even after the #2 and #3 games released a short while ago. To me that doesn't equal any long term momentum. Would that decline have looked nearly as impressive if Wii was around 45K like it was most of last year?

Another point, just looking at the known releases for the next 2-3 months, its a virtual certainty that Wii will again be on top. Just like most could tell PS3 was going to sell better for a period starting with RE5 once it became clear that Wii was heading south of 20K.

Finally, my response was to a post comparing this last month or so to the PSP's resurgence. As josh showed in his graph, that comparison is just not going to come true, barring a FF13 release in the next month or so. PS3 has had a great month, no doubt, but I think my point still stands..given what we know right now about release dates, etc...let's not get carried away.

Edit- how can you call AC disappointing?

Fafalada said:
Classy, real classy. Stuff the "nogames" argument together with really bad math.

Sigh. Read my post history, and you will know I am a huge Sony supporter. Your just being fastidious, what I said was true in relation to this weeks sales. All i was implying was, that having a huge (like 4 fold) increase in Hardware didnt translate to an increase in the software. I was replying to another post where he said maybe if they bought 2 or 3 titles but each person got different titles thats why none charted. I was correct in saying that even if people bought a few different titles, surely there would be overlap in the bigger franchises, like why arent people buying Yakuza or MGS4 or Resi 5 alongside there newly purchased PS3? My post wasnt a "nogames" argument, nor really bad math, get your shit straight before you try and give me crap.

markatisu

neojubei said:
Good numbers for the PS3, hopefully Sony can sustain the momentum.

Well didn't they just officially blow their load with the FFXIII demo? If I remember that was the last of the big AAA games in the Spring onslaught of software

Top Bottom