• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 07/28 - 08/03

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Smiles and Cries said:
PSP has had great stuff in Japan for months now wow

too bad for Fatal Frame 4

FF did as expected, I think.

Regarding the PSP, I think Sony could easily use it as a model of how to build success from disaster with its PS3 in Japan. It will be interesting to see in 2009-2010 if they change marketing strategies.

donny2112

I'm not planning on posting the Famitsu Top 30 for the week (at least until it normally comes out), but #30 is at 8.2K. That's higher than usual, so the sales for 11-30 should be a little higher than normal this week, too. That could account for MGS4 not making the cut.

Good sales of the new stuff all around - very nice.

KTallguy said:
What's so funny about SC sales?

icecream said:
Looks like those 2 million units of SCIV won't be continuing from Japan.
Yeah, I don't think they'll ever go noticably beyond the 2 million initial shipment but I expected the game to do worse at retail actually.

Kyoufu

PantherLotus said:

Regarding the PSP, I think Sony could easily use it as a model of how to build success from disaster with its PS3 in Japan. It will be interesting to see in 2009-2010 if they change marketing strategies.

If only MH3 was still on PS3, that with FFXIII could've done wonders for any console.

Jammy

Banned
Jcgamer60 said:
Fatal Frame 4 BOMB

Not at all. The PS2 games did ~40,000 on release and that system has a much higher userbase.

If you think that's a bomb, you must think MGS4 is one, too, right? :lol

Jcgamer60

Jammy said:
Not at all. The PS2 games did ~40,000 on release and that system has a much higher userbase.

If you think that's a bomb, you must think MGS4 is one, too, right? :lol

I had no idea...

Do these games sell well in the west or something?

lo zaffo

donny2112 said:
Famitsu hardware numbers for the week.

PSP 70000
DSL 63000
Wii 41000
PS3 11000
PS2 8600
360 6400
PSP and DSL and Wii sales are enormous to my eyes, PSP can pass 20 milions in the end, DS can pass 40 milions, Wii can do 10 milions, those are heavy numbers.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
lo zaffo said:
You know: Sony has national top selling hardware and I think PlayStation 3 is doing just fine.

You know what I would like to know the same damn thing, most likely we will have to wait for TGS.

linsivvi

Kyoufu said:
If only MH3 was still on PS3, that with FFXIII could've done wonders for any console.

MH3 won't do shit on any console. The reason why the games sell so well on the PSP is because people like the idea of being able to play together in the same room.

Same reason why Phantasy Star Portable's 1st week sales is several times more than PSU on the PS2.

Wario Land shows great legs, first week 25k, second week 20k~.

donny2112 said:
It was almost 100% sellout on the first day, so they must not have been able to restock again for the weekend.
It was 80%, and yet first day to first week is exactly the same, usually games with the same stock problem still have higher first week sales.

Kyoufu said:
Because it lends itself favourably to ad-hoc local multiplayer? We've yet to see if the recent success for portable MH can be translated directly to home console installments. I have high doubts about it personally.

BishopLamont said:

It was 80%, and yet first day to first week is exactly the same, usually games with the same stock problem still have higher first week sales.
:lol I saw your original post. PowaPuro is doing awful on Wii.

Tenbatsu

linsivvi said:
MH3 won't do shit on any console. The reason why the games sell so well on the PSP is because people like the idea of being able to play together in the same room.

Same reason why Phantasy Star Portable's 1st week sales is several times more than PSU on the PS2.
I see your point but I think Capcom made a really really good decision for Monster Hunter 3.

wazoo

If PSP sales come from the slim factor, then Sony should do a slim ps3 as soon as possible.

If PSP sales come from MH, then Sony can do nothing else than pray than one killer app - not necesseraly and most likely not MH - will come from a 3rd party at some time.

The second option is quite depressing. You invest B$ and than you pray, not a very good business plan.

PantherLotus said:

donny2112

BishopLamont said:

It showed signs of strong legs its first week, too. 1st day - 10K => 1st week - 25K

BishopLamont said:

Sinobi rounds. Not just to the nearest 1K, either. Say the first day sales were actually 33K. That would leave about 8K left all across Japan. 35K is still unexpected, but the source of the first day numbers doesn't always report the exact values.

Tenbatsu said:
I see your point but I think Capcom made a really really good decision for Monster Hunter 3.

I don't. At the rate the psp MH titles are increasing in sales, MH3 on psp could have done 3 million in sales.

Phife Dawg said:
Because it lends itself favourably to ad-hoc local multiplayer? We've yet to see if the recent success for portable MH can be translated directly to home console installments. I have high doubts about it personally.

:lol I saw your original post. PowaPuro is doing awful on Wii.
:( I have no idea how I missed it in the top 10. :lol

donny2112 said:
It showed signs of strong legs its first week, too. 1st day - 10K => 1st week - 25K

Sinobi rounds. Not just to the nearest 1K, either. Say the first day sales were actually 33K. That would leave about 8K left all across Japan. 35K is still unexpected, but the source of the first day numbers doesn't always report the exact values.
It doesn't really matter since 360 games don't have great legs either way.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I don't. At the rate the psp MH titles are increasing in sales, MH3 on psp could have done 3 million in sales.
Why do that when they can easily make MHP3 and try to find success on console too.

AniHawk

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

They're gonna make MHP3 and MHP3G after MH3.

sankao

The Xbox 360's sales numbers are increasing by 30% week over week again. Going by this growth rate, in one year, the Xbox 360 will sell 5.049 billion units a week in Japan alone.
That's a great strategy Microsoft Japan has.

Tenbatsu

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Main reason for this is that Monster Hunter started out on the console, so the main entry in the series gonna be on a console. Its some sort of, how to say...pride?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
wazoo said:
If PSP sales come from the slim factor, then Sony should do a slim ps3 as soon as possible.

If PSP sales come from MH, then Sony can do nothing else than pray than one killer app - not necesseraly and most likely not MH - will come from a 3rd party at some time.

The second option is quite depressing. You invest B$ and than you pray, not a very good business plan.

I made the same exact argument in my latest poll/discussion over at LC. Basically, Sony should follow the (DS-->DS Lite) and (PSP --> PSP Slim) models for reviving their hardware. I didn't say it there, but a PS3 revision seems to be the only intelligent option for Sony to pursue.

But do you think they actually will? In this case, the PS3 Slim version will have to come with a corollary price cut (and a singular SKU)..and does anybody around here think they'll do that instead of an imaginary arms race with MS?

Sony may not have ever had a chance against Nintendo this generation, but I assert right here and now that it is their focus on competing with Microsoft that will be her downfall. Sony needs to realign, restrategize, and focus on what's working (singular revised SKUs with new colors at a great price with numerous titles that Japanese people love). Not this "my HDD is bigger than yours" bullshit.

I was thinking that the console and handheld titles were the same. And when Capcom announced MH3 for Wii, it meant that the future MH games would be exclusive to Wii. I see I was wrong.

Loudninja

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I was thinking that the console and handheld titles were the same. And when Capcom announced MH3 for Wii, it meant that the future MH games would be exclusive to Wii. I see I was wrong.

:lol really?

PantherLotus said:
I made the same exact argument in my latest poll/discussion over at LC. Basically, Sony should follow the (DS-->DS Lite) and (PSP --> PSP Slim) models for reviving their hardware. I didn't say it there, but a PS3 revision seems to be the only intelligent option for Sony to pursue.

But do you think they actually will? In this case, the PS3 Slim version will have to come with a corollary price cut (and a singular SKU)..and does anybody around here think they'll do that instead of an imaginary arms race with MS?

Sony may not have ever had a chance against Nintendo this generation, but I assert right here and now that it is their focus on competing with Microsoft that will be her downfall. Sony needs to realign, restrategize, and focus on what's working (singular revised SKUs with new colors at a great price with numerous titles that Japanese people love). Not this "my HDD is bigger than yours" bullshit.
Ofcourse they will, I don't see any way they won't. The PS3 is fat, a slim version is only a matter of when.

AranhaHunter said:
What do you consider bombing for Vesperia?

Also will PSPPSP being released outside of Japan?
I think his joking, there was massive lines for the game. It's anything but a bomb.

Warren Ellis said:
i through soul calibur 4 was supply constrained..
For 360, not PS3.

AranhaHunter said:
That would be a major bomba
Only because Bandai-Namco underestimated demand.

D.Lo

wazoo said:

While it's a topic being avoided these days, a good chunk of PSP sales surely came from it being opened up for piracy. Perhaps Sony should crack the PS3 themselves? Yes I am obviously joking but it would definitely increase PS3 sales.

icecream

Public Health Threat
AranhaHunter said:
That would be a major bomba
Not really. Namco is expecting 120K total for the title to meet its expectations. If it does 80K the first week it's probably ensured that much over the game's lifetime.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
They are? When did they announce that.

It's Capcom

PantherLotus said:

A Slim PS3 will come probably in 2009/2010 when the 45nm Cell and RSX are available. It'll also have a bigger HDD since by that time 160GB HDD or maybe even 250GB HDD will be cheaper than the 80GB ones.

icecream said:
Not really. Namco is expecting 120K total for the title to meet its expectations. If it does 80K the first week it's probably ensured that much over the game's lifetime.

Total Lifetime? That seems low for a main entry to the Tales series.

BishopLamont said:
:( I have no idea how I missed it in the top 10. :lol
Well, it happens. Would've been quite unprecedented and funny if it was actually true though :D .

Kuramu said:
I'm starting to think that nintendo had better take psp seriously
Did they not take it seriously? They focused on Wii to give it a good start and it paid off big time. DS is fine as it is. Look at what that thing sells after selling over 20m and with no price-cut yet.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Tron 2.0 said:
Decent sales for Fatal Frame, but still a drop from the last two installments. We'll see if it has better legs thanks to Nintendo. The other titles just disappeared after week two.

Good to see WarioLand hanging in there.
I doubt it'll have better legs as word about the bugs spread, I think we won't even see it in the top 30 next week because of them.

FateBreaker said:
Tales of Vesperia will sell more than IU in Japan.
We can dream, can't we? :(

Top Bottom