• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 08/18 - 08/24

jimbo

Banned
BishopLamont said:
I think super sales just sounds cheap? Like it's the thread to come to if you wanna find a bargain. We don't want sales-age to have that impression do we?

Well I didn't say we should CALL it super sales thread. Call it whatever NPDMC, NAJA(although we would be missing Canada sales). The point is just to have MC sales match NPD and have monthly totals, for each and combined. I personally like NAJA, but we'd need consistent Canadian NPD numbers.

donny2112

HK-47 said:
I definitely doubt famitsu is what I'm saying, yes

And there's good reason to doubt their total on the first Pokemon suite. They kept adjusting it up 100Ks at a time for years before coming to the current total. The total Captain Smoker posted for Pokemon Red/Green/Blue is the official Famitsu total for Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow, though.

JoshuaJSlone said:
New MC data isn't really compatible with my schedule, I'm afraid; my thread would come like half a day late.

If I'm around, I can post it.

duckroll said:
If you doubt Famitsu's Enterbrain numbers, then you have to doubt the numbers listed on Magic Box as well, since those are from Enterbrain numbers. :p

YSO keeps shipment data for a lot (all?) 1 million+ shippers in Japan, so someone could always check there.

jimbo said:
It actually matches up quite nicely since MC week hardware numbers and NPD typically come out on the same day.

The Media-Create sales for the last Japanese sales period needed to match a particular NPD month are released a week before the NPD numbers are. I used to wait until that last week of MC numbers were out before starting the NPD Prediction thread, until the NPD thread's start was moved earlier.

jimbo said:
The point is just to have MC sales match NPD and have monthly totals, for each and combined.

I do that chart in the monthly NPD threads, usually.

USJapan-6.png

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:
If you doubt Famitsu's Enterbrain numbers, then you have to doubt the numbers listed on Magic Box as well, since those are from Enterbrain numbers. :p

Indeed, though the Magic Box number make much more sense

It seems highly unlikely that D/P has outsold G/S, which would be the case if you removed Crystal from that total. Especially given that D/P would have done it in less than a year and a half

donny2112

HK-47 said:
It seems highly unlikely that D/P has outsold G/S, which would be the case if you removed Crystal from that total.

Pokemon Crystal's last known total is 1,845,630 (20021229).
Pokemon Gold/Silver's last known total is 6,088,144 (20011230).
Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal's last known total is 7,801,616 (20020414).

Crystal clearly continued to sell past the last known combined total for Gold/Silver/Crystal, but that combined total is the largest individual number we have.

jimbo

Banned
donny2112 said:
I do that chart in the monthly NPD threads, usually.

I've seen that which is nice, but it's more of a LTD chart. It's hard to make out what happens month to month in that one. I'm talking matching up and listing the numbers and maybe having a monthly chart, kind of like the MC weekly charts, but monthly:

mc-3-consoles-weekly-line-91.png

PS: You should switch your Wii and 360 line colors.

Fischbrot said:
No famitsu numbers today?
We´ll see. ;__;

Top10:
1. Rhythm Tengoku Gold (NDS)
2. Afrika (PS3)
3. J-League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship (PS2)
4. Fate/Tiger Colosseum Upper (PSP)
5. Phantasy Star Portable (PSP)
6. Wii Fit (Wii)
7. Inazuma Eleven (NDS)
8. Battlefield Bad Company (PS3)
9. Fire Emblem: Shin Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Ken (NDS)
10. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (NDS)

It would be interesting if the PS3 got a small sales boost because of Afrika, since that game does seem to target a different demographic than the existing PS3 owners.

jesusraz

Good to see Inazuma Eleven and Dragon Quest V holding on still, and great to see the Fire Emblem shooting back up thanks to a re-stock! And I wonder if Rhythm Tengoku has a chance at chugging along to the million mark by the end of the year?

jesusraz said:
Good to see Inazuma Eleven and Dragon Quest V holding on still, and great to see the Fire Emblem shooting back up thanks to a re-stock! And I wonder if Rhythm Tengoku has a chance at chugging along to the million mark by the end of the year?
Anything's possible, I guess.

Worth noting: though RTG was restocked in my town, it's sold out again. Another restock coming tomorrow, I guess.

Rythm Tengoku gold is a monster. At this point, it will soon break the million barrier.

Maybe is Nintendo's next big franchise the music genre?

Tenbatsu said:
Captain Rainbow is dead:(

I suppose it was way too unique. In addition, it has been unveiled too late and its marketing was non-existant.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Captain Smoker said:
We´ll see. ;__;

Top10:

1. Rhythm Tengoku Gold (NDS)
2. Afrika (PS3)
3. J-League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship (PS2)
4. Fate/Tiger Colosseum Upper (PSP)
5. Phantasy Star Portable (PSP)
6. Wii Fit (Wii)
7. Inazuma Eleven (NDS)
8. Battlefield Bad Company (PS3)
9. Fire Emblem: Shin Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Ken (NDS)
10. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (NDS)

Where's tales of versperia?

jesusraz

Segata Sanshiro said:
Anything's possible, I guess.

Worth noting: though RTG was restocked in my town, it's sold out again. Another restock coming tomorrow, I guess.
That's certainly a good sign! It's on its way to ~550,000 already and is likely to get quite a decent boost toward the holiday period, so I wouldn't be knocked off my feet with surprise if it hit a million, that's for sure.

Spiegel

Inazuma had one day less of sales counted than the majority of games last week because was released on friday. It's not selling very well but let's see if the anime has some effect on the sales of the game later this month

Sigma Harmonics megabomba confirmed :/

vareon

Good to see FE and Inazuma there. RTG is doing excellent, Sigma sadly dropped out and Captain Rainbow is non existant :| Kinda predictable for Capt. Rainbow, though.

Since there's been some wondering about whether Rhythm Tengoku Gold would hit a million, I decided to run it through the trajectory matcher. However, even when I widened the matching possibilities by 40K high and low, nothing else matched both its week 1 and week 3 total. So nothing else on record has behaved very closely to it.

Matching just the first week there are games that petered out around 400K, as well as a couple giant ones. From that bunch it appears to be between English Training and Mario Kart DS, which is not bad sales company to be in.

Matching just for the three-week total there are fewer results. None of them reach even 750K, but they all started with better first weeks, so were more front-loaded. This bunch also includes the recently released PSP PSP.

Spiegel

From sinobi

PS3Afrika 35k (70% shipment)
PSP Fate/Tiger Colosseum Upper 32k
PS3 Battlefield: Bad Company 22k
360 Clannad 8k-10k
DS「綾波育成計画」「ToLOVE 8-10k
360 Too Human 8k-10k
Wii Captain rainbow 6k

PS3 10k

Lol, Skinemax To-LOVE-Ru game outsells the crap outta Captain Rainbow. Gratuitous underage panty shots defeat tranny surprise dildos yet again in their never-ending battle across time.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Lol, Skinemax To-LOVE-Ru game outsells the crap outta Captain Rainbow. Gratuitous underage panty shots defeat tranny surprise dildos yet again in their never-ending battle across time.
In the end we all lose! or is it win? I dunno anymore..

Tiktaalik

Is Captain Rainbow actually any good? Should we care that we'll likely never get it in NA and that the lead designer of the game is probably being beaten by Nintendo goons as we speak?

Tiktaalik said:
Is Captain Rainbow actually any good? Should we care that we'll likely never get it in NA and that the lead designer of the game is probably being beaten by Nintendo goons as we speak?
Kobun seems to like it, but I don't think we need to talk about his well-documented bias towards transsexual ostrich sex paraphenilia.

jesusraz

Spiegel said:
23k first week (70k LTD)
Oh...bugger...Well, seems this is Skip's weakest selling game so far then. Unless you count Archime-DS, which was jointly done by Skip and Route24.

Shiggy

jesusraz said:
Oh...bugger...Well, seems this is Skip's weakest selling game so far then. Unless you count Archime-DS, which was jointly done by Skip and Route24.

Didn't some games from the bit Generations sell even less?

jesusraz

Shiggy said:
Didn't some games from the bit Generations sell even less?
How many did Skip do of those, because wasn't that range from a mix of different developers? I'd completely forgotten about them, to be honest...

Shiggy

jesusraz said:
How many did Skip do of those, because wasn't that range from a mix of different developers? I'd completely forgotten about them, to be honest...

They did 6 out of 7.

I don't think any of the bit Generations games made the Top 30 or 500 lists at all. The only Nintendo-published GBA 2006 games Garaph knows are Mother 1+2, Mother 3, Eyeshield 21: Devilbats Devildays, Calcio Bit (appears unrelated, even with "Bit"), and Rhythm Tengoku.

jesusraz

Shiggy said:
They did 6 out of 7.
*Checks* Ah yes, Q-Games did the other one. For some reason I thought more devs were involved in the project. Oh well, I guess Captain Rainbow's a bit more of a success then! Hmm, I wonder if CR had a big budget... :-/

I set up some new software groups at Garaph. After the initial batch I've mostly added them when there's a new game that deserves historical comparison, but today I was just looking through an alphabetical list and grabbing some obvious ones. Far from all the possible groups, though, and I didn't even touch most of the alphabet.

.hack, Ratchet & Clank, Ridge Racer, Sakura Taisen, Sega Ages 2500 Series, Shadow Hearts, Star Wars, Star Fox, Suikoden, Summon Night, Super Monkey Ball, Super Robot Wars, Tekken, Tenchu, Time Crisis, Tokimeki Memorial

donny2112

Famitsu 8/25-31

1. Rhythm Tengoku Gold (NDS) - 68K / 625K
2. Afrika (PS3) - 35K / NEW
3. J-League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship (PS2) - 33K / 113K
4. Fate/Tiger Colosseum Upper (PSP) - 32K / NEW
5. Phantasy Star Portable (PSP) - 27K / 572K
6. Wii Fit (Wii) - 26K / 2515K
7. Inazuma Eleven (NDS) - 25K / 66K
8. Battlefield Bad Company (PS3) - 22K / NEW
9. Fire Emblem: Shin Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Ken (NDS) - 19K / 204K (32K until Sacred Stones)
10. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (NDS) - 17K / 1120K (DQIV is 1203K)

14. Sigma Harmonics - 9.3K / 34K
17. Too Human - 8.8K / NEW

DSL 58000
PSP 43000
Wii 24000
PS3 11000
PS2 9100
360 3100

duckroll

If Inazuma Eleven drops off the top10 next week, then it'll probably struggle to hit 100k. Looks like the average RPG fanbase for DS core users tops out at 100-200k. Pretty bad news for the upcoming World Destruction. PSP will almost certainly break 600k, but looks like my expectations for it to beat Crisis Core won't be met.

RTG actually increased, expect this title to chug along for a long while. IE is holding on but it won't be for long, dammit. Wii is entering it's slump period, I wouldn't be surprised if PS3/360 actually outsells it for a week or two.

donny2112

BishopLamont said:
Wii is entering it's slump period, I wouldn't be surprised if PS3/360 actually outsells it for a week or two.

Because they aren't affected by the August lull? Seriously, what's your reasoning there?

Top Bottom