• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 10/20 - 10/26

Zihark

OK this is to all saying Avalon Code must be a disappointment to MMV. That's wrong, MMV had modest exprctations of 56k total-which I think they could reach. Also 40k for NA and 39k in Europe. Also Muramasa 56k and LKS 45k. Surprisingly enough they predict LKS to perform way better in NA/EUR.

RBH

gtj1092 said:
Can I say that the Ps3 is more popular than the Wii in Japan because of
this week or does logic apply here?

Also I'm loving the damage control. No one thought the Ps3 would break 15,000 and believed that somehow the 360 had become more popular than Ps3 in Japan:lol

Looking at those GTA4 sales I guess sony realized before the rest of us that JRPGs were a waste of money hats.
SackboyDJAvatar.gif

Tron 2.0

1. Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3) 122.000 [122.000]
2. Valkyrie Profile: Toga o Seoumono (NDS) 74.000 [74.000]
3. LittleBigPlanet (PS3) 47.000 [47.000]
4. Grand Theft Auto IV (360) 38.000 [38.000]
5. Wagamama Fasion: Gals Mode (NDS) 38.000 [125.000]
6. Pokémon Platinum (NDS) 37.000 [1.831.000]
7. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III (PS3) 34.000 [34.000]
8. Rhythm Tengoku Gold (NDS) 33.000 [1.001.000]
9. Cid to Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon: Toki Wasure no Meikyuu + (NDS) 28.000 [28.000]
10. Wii Music (Wii) 23.000 [164.000]

mst3k_joel_it_stinks.jpg

manzo said:
After all the gazillion different bundles of Little Big Planet, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue C-Spec, PS3 sold only 36k?

I was betting on at least 70k sold. :/
That would've put it around what was achieved through DW, price drop etc. last year. Not a very reasonable bet I would say.

gtj1092 said:

Also I'm loving the damage control. No one thought the Ps3 would break 15,000 and believed that somehow the 360 had become more popular than Ps3 in Japan:lol

Looking at those GTA4 sales I guess sony realized before the rest of us that JRPGs were a waste of money hats.
LBP avatars are the new Homer avatars?

Mindlog

gtj1092 said:

Flichen! My dobber is dry.

OK Enough of that parody's particular preponderance.

PantherLotus said:
Read: Wii and 360 each did not have their expected end-of-year beginning climb this week because of PS3's bundlebump.

That is quite intriguing. I wonder if a ¥/week ratio exists that would mean anything.

Minsc

Gold Member
schuelma said:
Yeah, I'm sure Nintendo expected Wii Music to make a bigger impact than it has so far.

I think if Wii Music falls below 15K next week, and 10K the following, and settles a month or two from now at 1-5K a week, ultimately never breaking 500K lifetime sales, then it'd be considered a failure?

Tiktaalik

Nuclear Muffin said:
Wii Music is a real shocker, can't believe it's doing so poorly! On the flip side, LBP did a lot better than I expected :D

haha I'm the opposite. I strongly felt that everyone was giving Wii Music too strong of a pass just based on the good sales of the previous Wii series games. I thought that if any recent Nintendo game had the potential to bomb it was Wii Music. Of course we could easily see the game over around ~20k sales for months and it'll end up doing fine in the end.

I actually expected LBP to do better. Of course isn't there a really awesome bundle there with the game and a free controller? Perhaps that is selling really well.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Mindlog said:
That is quite intriguing. I wonder if a ¥/week ratio exists that would mean anything.

Not that you were suggesting this, but for clarity's sake it would obviously have to be yen per week over time, rather than one magical number that is spent every week. I think we can use this and YOY data (with a yearly +/- market growth modifier) to make projections.

JJS's point notwithstanding (360's year-end ascension has already begun and Wii may not be getting the needed bump from Wii Music), it would be awesome to see the results on this idea.

For those that care, I'm still working on that equation. I don't really know where to start -- the hard part is handling the data and having a rolling market correction for each week. I'll keep everybody posted.

RJT

Finally an interesting week in Japan.
So far, we've seen great analysis from people that usually don't contribute... Keep it up!

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
Seems to be an i exclusive.
Ok, seems to make sense due to the 256MB internal storage that DSi has + the DSi has a SD slot. Does the DS and the DS Lite have some internal storage memory?

schuelma said:
Tenchu 4 is coming out in N.A early next year, published by Ubisoft.
Ah ok, i hope it does better in N.A then :) Thanks for the info! :) (this is a quote from the previous MC thread, i am sorry for the late reply! I remembered that i forgot to reply to it then, so i just copied it over to this week's MC thread instead of bumping the old).

Oblivion said:
Well, youtube and myspace both started out with 47,000 users at one point too, I'm sure.
In Japan?

lancubap

Nuclear Muffin said:
Wii Music is a real shocker, can't believe it's doing so poorly! On the flip side, LBP did a lot better than I expected :D

You're excluding the possibility that it'll keep selling ~20k every week for a loong time.

jeremy1456

Oblivion said:
Well, youtube and myspace both started out with 47,000 users at one point too, I'm sure.

Yeah but everyone owns a computer now but the same can't be said for the PS3. Oh and those are free whereas LBP is not.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Minsc said:
I think if Wii Music falls below 15K next week, and 10K the following, and settles a month or two from now at 1-5K a week, ultimately never breaking 500K lifetime sales, then it'd be considered a failure?

try never breaking 250k if your hypothesis is correct. Doubtful if it'd even get 200k at the rate its going right now.

"so if it never breaks a billion, then it'd be considered a failure??"

ayrkain

PantherLotus said:
Not that you were suggesting this, but for clarity's sake it would obviously have to be yen per week over time, rather than one magical number that is spent every week. I think we can use this and YOY data (with a yearly +/- market growth modifier) to make projections.

JJS's point notwithstanding (360's year-end ascension has already begun and Wii may not be getting the needed bump from Wii Music), it would be awesome to see the results on this idea.

For those that care, I'm still working on that equation. I don't really know where to start -- the hard part is handling the data and having a rolling market correction for each week. I'll keep everybody posted.

Maybe I'm just geeking out here, but that sounds really awesome. Looking forward to whatever you come up with here.

ITA84

test_account said:
Ok, seems to make sense due to the 256MB internal storage that DSi has + the DSi has a SD slot. Does the DS and the DS Lite have some internal storage memory?

Very little, and it's just enough to store personal settings and Wi-Fi data.

RpgN

Frillen said:
Fanboys lowering their expectations so they can act surprised later, which again puts their console of choice in a better light... Sounds not so surprising... Seriously, with GTA, GT5p and LBP + a gazillion new bundles + new TV commercials.. You still thought it would sell under 10k :lol :lol

Please...

Uhm,

GT5p is the same game from last year only with the free updates.

GTA4 was also released on the xbox 360. I hardly call that an advantage.

I agree with LBP and the bundles. Just like how the xbox 360 got a pricedrop, bundles and Tales of Vesperia. Only, LBP is really too different/new to really expect how much it was supposed to sell. It can still go either way. TOV on the other hand is a well known rpg in Japan.

So, I'm not really sure how much you were expecting the ps3 to sell.

test_account

XP-39C²
Oblivion said:
Wait, so LBP's presumed ultra-popularity was relegated to the West, then?
You mentioned YouTube, MySpace and 47.000, which is what LBP sold in Japan the first week. YouTube and MySpace are very popular on a worldwide basis, but i have no idea how popular they are in Japan, that is why i asked you if YouTube and MySpace at one pointed started with 47.000 users in Japan :)

I think Little Big Planet has (had?) a chance to do very well in Japan as well, but it isnt exactly a big suprise to me that LBP sold 49k the first week in Japan, especially considering how most western developed titles sells in Japan, atleast in my opinion.

ITA84 said:
Very little, and it's just enough to store personal settings and Wi-Fi data.
Ah ok, thanks for the info! :)

d+pad

Minsc said:

It would be strange to me if Wii Music failed to break 500K lifetime and people *didn't* consider it a failure, but I'm still not sure that's going to happen. Hell, I think it'll be considered a failure even if it breaks a million, given how well the other Wii-branded games have sold (well over 2 million each).

If we were in any other time of year (i.e., not heading into the holidays), I'd think your sales prediction was at least somewhat plausible, but given that we are heading into the holidays, I have to imagine Wii Music sales will pick up quite a bit. I'm not saying it's going to top 500,000 by the end of the holidays, but I can't see it staying at 20K a week either. After the holidays, though - who knows?

It's going to be very interesting to see how Animal Crossing does this holiday season. Will it sell similarly to the N64 and GC versions, or will it blow up like the DS version? I'm guessing something in between...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
test_account said:
You mentioned YouTube, MySpace and 47.000, which is what LBP sold in Japan the first week. YouTube and MySpace are very popular on a worldwide basis, but i have no idea how popular they are in Japan, that is why i asked you if YouTube and MySpace at one pointed started with 47.000 users in Japan :)

I think Little Big Planet has (had?) a chance to do very well in Japan as well, but it isnt exactly a big suprise to me that LBP sold 49k the first week in Japan, especially considering how most western developed titles sells in Japan, atleast in my opinion.

Sorry, I interpreted your comment to imply that youtube and myspace weren't popular in Japan.

As for LBP, I'm not surprised either, but people were mentioning how the game's wacky, unique appearance would appeal to Japanese tastes, afterall.

Minsc

Gold Member
davepoobond said:
"so if it never breaks a billion, then it'd be considered a failure??"

I know you're just poking some fun, but the recent drops in Wii Music sales in Japan really shows how far Nintendo is getting off the mark for me. Hell, I hope their other big title, Animal Crossing is a similar failure (Nintendo failures still tend to sell more than most other games) in the sense that it doesn't get millions of sales.

With no Wii Music and no Animal Crossing, and Wii sales at a low point again in Japan... well maybe Nintendo won't adopt Sony's strategy and simply ignore the region entirely banking off their success in other regions. There's a small chance Nintendo might notice and take on a release schedule that doesn't leave most typical gamers uninterested in all but a couple of titles over the course of an entire year.

The Wii lately seems to be drowning in 3rd party crap, and the occasional non-crap titles suffer on it too. Nintendo's had the throne long enough, let's raise the bar a little, c'mon PS3, do your thing! Show us you can last more than just one week!

test_account

XP-39C²
Oblivion said:
Sorry, I interpreted your comment to imply that youtube and myspace weren't popular in Japan.

As for LBP, I'm not surprised either, but people were mentioning how the game's wacky, unique appearance would appeal to Japanese tastes, afterall.
Ah ok, no problem, i guess i could have written that i was really wondering about it, i am sorry. It was actually wondering about it, since i have no idea how popular YouTube and MySpace are in Japan, or if they have their own (and more popular) versions of YouTube and MySpace.

Ye, i think LBP has (or had) a chance to do well in Japan. I do think it can appeal to the japanese people even if it is a western developed game, but if LBP ends up selling not as good as expected, then i am not so suprised concidering it is a western developed title and because that the game only exist on the PS3 (which is not doing so well in Japan).

In afterthought, i wonder if it really matters if it is a western developed game or not. I mean, would people in Japan not be interested in LBP just because it is a western developed game, or wouldnt they be interested because the game itself doesnt appeal to them (generally speaking about the mass crowd)?

Oblivion

test_account said:
Ah ok, no problem, i guess i could have written that i was really wondering about it, i am sorry. It was actually wondering about it, since i have no idea how popular YouTube and MySpace are in Japan, or if they have their own (and more popular) versions of YouTube and MySpace.

Ah, no worries. :) To answer your question, I'm not sure myself. I know there's a Japanese youtube division, and I would assume that's fairly popular. Also there's that Nico video thing over there, though I really have no clue how it registers on the scale.

In afterthought, i wonder if it really matters if it is a western developed game or not. I mean, would people in Japan not be interested in LBP just because it is a western developed game, or wouldnt they be interested because the game itself doesnt appeal to them (generally speaking about the mass crowd)?

Well, as far as western games go, the Donkey Kong Country series did really well from what I recall there. I also believe that some of Sony's platformers, such as Ratchet and Jak did pretty good too. GTA: SA did about 500k, I think, but that's about it as far as successful western games go (from what I know at least). Though to be honest, I don't think most people really distinguish much who the developer is, whether they're western or eastern as long as it's not completely obvious (such as a game like Call of Duty).

inner-G

Banned
If ~20,000 of those consoles were LBP bundles, and the game itself sold ~45,000, then they really sold liek 65,000 copies right?

Pack-ins are not counted in weekly sales, right?

Spiegel

inner-G said:
If ~20,000 of those consoles were LBP bundles, and the game itself sold ~45,000, then they really sold liek 65,000 copies right?

Pack-ins are not counted in weekly sales, right?

Pack-ins are counted

DSi: 171.000
PSP: 50.000
PS3: 36.000
WII: 25.000
DSL: 17.000
PS2: 6.800
360: 6.300

*DS Total = 188.000

1. Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3) 122.000 [122.000]
2. Valkyrie Profile: Toga o Seoumono (NDS) 74.000 [74.000]
3. LittleBigPlanet (PS3) 47.000 [47.000]
4. Grand Theft Auto IV (360) 38.000 [38.000]
5. Wagamama Fasion: Gals Mode (NDS) 38.000 [125.000]
6. Pokémon Platinum (NDS) 37.000 [1.831.000]
7. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III (PS3) 34.000 [34.000]
8. Rhythm Tengoku Gold (NDS) 33.000 [1.001.000]
9. Cid to Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon: Toki Wasure no Meikyuu + (NDS) 28.000 [28.000]
10. Wii Music (Wii) 23.000 [164.000]

I'll weigh in here. First of all, I massively underpredicted PS3 sales this week (by about 10k) and overpredicted LBP by about 30k.

I blame GTAIV.

Mindlog

PantherLotus said:

I didn't give enough thought to the question I was exactly posing.

In some respects it could be interpreted as just graphing weekly % sales.
or weekly % revenue.

Then I tried to get a little more descriptive in my head and ran into all kinds of variables that could be considered.

I guess it just boils down to being able to pick apart 'retail bandwith' in some meaningful way.

Defuser

Linkzg said:
I know so little about sales that I actually think that the LBP numbers are decent. I thought the game would bomb big time.
At least you're not predicting unrealistic LBP numbers like SCEJ.

C.T.

OldJadedGamer said:
Too bad Derby Time Online won't come to America. I would love a current gen online horse racing title.

Wii included? Koei made one for wii. I'm not sure how good it is.

onipex

Minsc said:
I know you're just poking some fun, but the recent drops in Wii Music sales in Japan really shows how far Nintendo is getting off the mark for me. Hell, I hope their other big title, Animal Crossing is a similar failure (Nintendo failures still tend to sell more than most other games) in the sense that it doesn't get millions of sales.

With no Wii Music and no Animal Crossing, and Wii sales at a low point again in Japan... well maybe Nintendo won't adopt Sony's strategy and simply ignore the region entirely banking off their success in other regions. There's a small chance Nintendo might notice and take on a release schedule that doesn't leave most typical gamers uninterested in all but a couple of titles over the course of an entire year.

The Wii lately seems to be drowning in 3rd party crap, and the occasional non-crap titles suffer on it too. Nintendo's had the throne long enough, let's raise the bar a little, c'mon PS3, do your thing! Show us you can last more than just one week!

Nintendo is doing fine in overall hardware and software sales. Their Wii title line up has outsold their other big titles. These titles seem to be selling more or just as good in other regions than they sell in Japan too. I don't think one of two failed titles will make them change anything.

Animal crossing is a huge seller and if even half the people who have it on the DS decide to buy it for the Wii it will be a great success.I personally never expected Wii Music to be a big hit in Japan. I'm not even sure how popular music games are in Japan on home consoles.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Oblivion said:
Wait, so LBP's presumed ultra-popularity was relegated to the West, then?
I think most people presumed LBPs "ultra-popularity" would be more Wii-series esque (long legs and all that), so it'll take a little more then one week/month of data to see if they were right.
That said, the game was a sellout in Korea beating major hitters like Fallout and Fifa(these actually do rather well in Korea - as packaged games), so missing out in Japan doesn't necessarily mean it only has "Western" appeal.

Oblivion

Fafalada said:
I think most people presumed LBPs "ultra-popularity" would be more Wii-series esque (long legs and all that), so it'll take a little more then one week/month of data to see if they were right.
That said, the game was a sellout in Korea beating major hitters like Fallout and Fifa(these actually do rather well in Korea - as packaged games), so missing out in Japan doesn't necessarily mean it only has "Western" appeal.

So what exactly are your expectations of how LBP should (or should have?) performed? One thing that I noticed about many games that have strong legs is that they start out very strong as well.

As for it being a sellout in Korea, well that's nice, but do you have any solid numbers? From what I know (and anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), Korea is mainly PC land. So a console sellout doesn't necessarily mean it's impressive much.

justchris

Tiktaalik said:
I actually expected LBP to do better. Of course isn't there a really awesome bundle there with the game and a free controller? Perhaps that is selling really well.

For the record, bundled software is included in Japanese sales numbers, so that number includes the bundle.

LBP actually did slightly better than I expected, but I'm more interested in whether it can have any kind of legs.

donny2112

Minsc said:
c'mon PS3, do your thing! Show us you can last more than just one week!

Nah.

On the topic of the top-selling game in 2008 ...

Over the past 12 years, the top-selling game each year has either been Pokemon (6, no third games), Dragon Quest (2, possibly another with DQVI in 1995), Final Fantasy (2), Wii Sports (1), or Animal Crossing (1). For this year, Monster Hunter Portable 2 G is currently #1 (2.44 million), and it's pretty much through for the year with its BEST re-release having been released this week.

Can anything catch it?

#2 in a few weeks will be Pokemon Platinum, but it'll be almost 600K behind. Does Platinum have 600K in it for the rest of the year? I don't think so. Animal Crossing Wii? Nah. Anything else likely this year? Nope.

That means that Monster Hunter Portable 2 G should be the top-selling game in 2008.

* First PSP #1
* First Capcom #1
* Fourth Sony system #1
* Eighth portable #1

:)

Jonnyram

Hmm, PSP is the only format without a top ten entry. Oh noes :(
Glad to see Wii Music struggling though, I was worried that the Japanese industry would completely lose the plot.

Top Bottom