• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11 - 17 Dec (Nintendo shows MC its Pokemans)

apujanata said:
If Wii can sell more in 2006 than what GCN managed in 2002, despite GCN launch in mid Sep while Wii launched in Nov end, can we agree that Wii has a more successfull launch in Japan (compared to GCN) ?

Nintendo launched Wii in Japan during December...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
cvxfreak said:
In case Bebpo was wondering, Bleach Wii > all 3rd party 360 games. No WEX or EDF3.

FFIII is only one slot below Blue Dragon too. Might've sold like 15K this week.

According to Dengeki:

PS3: 308K
PS3 software: 264K

:lol

What the **** are PS3 owners buying?

STG!

donny2112 said:

Thanks for the charts donny, they're well appreciated! I hope you want to continue to maintain these for the next gen, they prove to be interesting to watch develope.

Didn't Nintendo promise 1.5 million DSL for the end of the year or did I misread that? If so, could they be saving them for one big push? (to coincide with last years huge spike)

Sony really needs to get a big week, it's been a long while. Shocked at the drop off for Blue Dragon, I really thought that maybe (just maybe) it'd have some legs for the top 30. But at least 360 is selling much better than it did, could that only be because of BD bundles??

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
AniHawk said:
So basically, Nintendo owns the majority of the the next-gen console and hardware market.

Yeah.

Code:
[B][U]Market Share for 360[/U][/B]
December 10th:	24.05%		( -0.81% )
December 17th:	21.28%	 	( -2.77% )

[B][U]Market Share for PS3[/U][/B]
December 10th:	26.83%		( +0.61% )
December 17th:	28.51%	 	( +1.68% )

[B][U]Market Share for Wii[/U][/B]
December 10th:	49.12%		( +0.21% )
December 17th:	50.21% 		( +1.09% )

I didn't do one for the PSP v DS, but that's getting pretty out of hand. It might be fun though.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
gamergirly said:
Given the console's price, they might have to wait a while to buy a game

These shitty comments are no worse than the Twilight Princess comments, which you were up in arms about.

Things of note:

Wii has now sold more than GCN has in the last two years.

If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this rate, it would catch up January 9 of next year.

DSL is down from last year, when over 400K were sold. Supply, I assume. The following week was the big 598K, so I don't expect that one to be equaled either.

PantherLotus said:
I didn't do one for the PSP v DS, but that's getting pretty out of hand. It might be fun though.
I won't bother with listing weekly changes, but as of now the total is 75.5% DS, 24.5% PSP.
pacchartweekly.php

http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecharting/pacchartweekly.php?date1=2006-12-11

Busaiku

STG! said:
Didn't Nintendo promise 1.5 million DSL for the end of the year or did I misread that? If so, could they be saving them for one big push? (to coincide with last years huge spike)
The Nintendo DS has sold has sold more than 630k (this is just for the last 2 sales weeks, so the first 3 days of December aren't included) and there're 2 weeks left. So, it probably is a slightly bigger push for those last 2 weeks.

koam

JoshuaJSlone said:
Things of note:

If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this rate, it would catch up January 9 of next year.

DSL is down from last year, when over 400K were sold. Supply, I assume. The following week was the big 598K, so I don't expect that one to be equaled either.

I won't bother with listing weekly changes, but as of now the total is 75.5% DS, 24.5% PSP.
pacchartweekly.php

Can you do a chart for microsoft / nintendo / sony

*wakes up*

Well, this thread got big while I was gone.

Hardware is pretty expected all around. Only thing of note to me is that the 360 is rather increased from what I expected - but then again, it's the holiday season.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Wah! The avatar threw me.

The DSL sales are a fair bit lower from last year, but I suppose now Nintendo have TWO mouths to feed this year...

argon

SovanJedi said:
Wah! The avatar threw me.

The DSL sales are a fair bit lower from last year, but I suppose now Nintendo have TWO mouths to feed this year...

This time last year DS sales exploded, but since there were no shortages there were already a ton of units sitting in at retail in addition to the shipped units for those weeks. (Note that after the Christmas period, the DS had its lowest sales ever at ~10,500 units.)

This holiday season (actually, for almost the entire year) DS sells exactly what Nintendo can ship every week. I don't think Nintendo is capable of shipping 400-600k units per week to Japan, so I doubt we will see weekly sales match last year.

vitaflo

JoshuaJSlone said:

I remember these kinds of phrases being said when the DS and PSP came out. I shudder to think what might be.

Culex

Banned
Last December was a 5-week sales month, so we won't be seeing those astronomical sales of the DS again. We should break 1 million though, and if it sells about 600k for the next two weeks, the LTD will be DOUBLE THAT OF LAST YEAR! OMG!!!

Xavien

JoshuaJSlone said:
Things of note:

pacchartweekly.php

Wii is killing the DS Lite pacman chart :/

>>>Again, nintendo fanboys are liek radical islam of gaming

<rant>

yeah or like the secular human rights fundamentalists, or the environmental terrorists, or the american "blow the crap out of everything" patriotic fanatics... please let's not even go there

stop acting stupid ok? if you can't conduct a normal conversation at least don't start pissing more people off and bringing up issues with no relevance to this thread

sony-tards, x-bots, n-kids, whatever. everyone acts like an idiot when things are not positive for them. that's true for people like you who claim to have no allegiance. we can all see that when you are clearly incapable of conducting yourself in a beneficial way to the members of the community. if that's the case, then please log off and spend some time talking to people in the real world so you can learn how.

if people don't understand your point. just stop arguing. you won't be getting a trophy tomorrow for wnning a stupid message board flame war.

</rant>

vitaflo said:
I remember these kinds of phrases being said when the DS and PSP came out. I shudder to think what might be.
Probably by me. :) I initially started my Media Create tracking due to the interesting DS/PSP launches, so it was with some deja vu that I copied the old DS/PSP comparison columns and turned them into Wii/PS3 comparison columns.
(And the "If DS stopped selling" stat for PSP this week is... June 28, 2010.)

moku said:
I dont think anyone says it enough, but man, good work. Every week I look for your post as it provides an insight into the whole sales thing, and puts it into perspective.

Thank you.
Thanks. :) Sometimes I wonder how much people actually care about some of the comparisons I make, but as long as there aren't complaints, I figure that's good enough.

Parl said:
OH NOES NON-GAMERS ENTERING THE MARKET STEALING OUR GAMES

Narrow game/marketing variety - smaller market. Broad game/marketing variety - bigger market.

Before, the market catered for me and you. Now, it's catering for me, you and them. More gamers, more games.

But get this. I'd say that they are more likely to jump over to playing more traditional videogames than me and you are to jump over to playing more new market games (instead of traditional videogames).

This means that not only has the market expanded, but there will probably end up being more demand for more traditional games in the future than there is now and was several year ago. If the type of games you like are what new gamers will like tomorrow, then the demand for games you like will go up and the supply of games you like will increase.

There's the argument that developers will shift focus to making games for them instead of me and you. But that's running under the assumption that and expanded market doesnt mean and expanded amount of development muscle. An assumption I don't want to make, and neither should you.

Well first of all, being an economist I agree with you in theory. I don't think anyone is saying that having non-games is a BAD thing, I think the concern is primarily around diverting significant resources for the next 5-6 years because non-games are doing so well and "games" (as defined by the NeoGAF community I suppose) are bombing left and right.

This will have a fundamental impact on our experience as gamers for the next several years even despite the long-term ramifications. Moreover, one has to consider the proposition that given a situation where non-gamers are dominating the demand segment, hardcore gamers may end up being alienated and leave the hobby thus putting the activity back into the situation it started.

Again I'm not saying what you are saying isn't true, and I am the biggest advocate of "non-games" - but I do have to say that the gaming industry is known for jumping onto fads and sticking them out without considering the specifics of the market.

For instance, last generation, consider how many crappy FPS games came out. Infact many companies were changing their games to FPS just to have an entry in the genre (everyone was following up on the success of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark from the previous generation and trying to mimick the success of Halo), when there was absolutely no need and it probably turned off a whole bunch of gamers.

Now consider when everyone starts making brain-trainers, rhythm games, etc. etc. to capitalize on where they believe the demand really exists. I think it will create an equally miserable situation to when hardcore gamers were satisfied with the 31st FPS game in 3 years. Except in this situation, the losers (hardcore gamers) will be bitching all over the internet forums.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Probably by me. :) I initially started my Media Create tracking due to the interesting DS/PSP launches, so it was with some deja vu that I copied the old DS/PSP comparison columns and turned them into Wii/PS3 comparison columns.
(And the "If DS stopped selling" stat for PSP this week is... June 28, 2010.)

Thanks. :) Sometimes I wonder how much people actually care about some of the comparisons I make, but as long as there aren't complaints, I figure that's good enough.

he's not the only one who enjoys them - keep up the good work!

Dalthien

moku said:
Interesting. So its safe to assume that the Wii is between 500k, and 600k?
If Famitsu tracks this latest week (Dec 11-17) similar to MC, then that would put the Wii right about 600k through Dec 17.

gamergirly said:
Given the console's price, they might have to wait a while to buy a game

Yo banned him for that great piece of a sentence, mods? Oh please, is this your support to Sony´s viral marketing? No serious, calm down a bit. :)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Did anybody notice how big a week PSP is having this week? With the New Year rush it might actually do well. Sony is launching a new blue color PSP and big titles like ToW as well as MGS:pO could very well give it a push.

jesusraz

So, 31-50 looks like this:

31.) Chocobo & the Magic Picture Book (NDS, Square Enix) - NEW ENTRY
32.) Tamagotchi Corner Shop 2 (NDS, Bandai Namco)
33.) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii, Nintendo)
34.) Large Scramble (NDS, Banpresto) - NEW ENTRY
35.) Motor Storm (PS3, SCE) - NEW ENTRY
36.) Made in Wario Smooth Moves (Wii, Nintendo)
37.) Stock Trader Kabutore! (NDS, Konami) - NEW ENTRY
38.) Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA, Square Enix)
39.) Electric Brain Repetition (NDS, Shogakukan Inc.)
40.) English Training (NDS, Nintendo)
41.) Cooking Navi (NDS, Nintendo)
42.) Magic Taizen (NDS, Nintendo)
43.) Tales of Destiny (PS2, Bandai Namco)
44.) Gintama Revolution (NDS, Konami)
45.) Power Pro Baseball 9 (NDS, Konami)
46.) Blue Dragon (360, Microsoft)
47.) Final Fantasy III (NDS, Square Enix)
48.) Touch the Rainy Lord (??) (NDS, Nintendo) - NEW ENTRY
49.) Ridge Racer 7 (PS3, Bandai Namco)
50.) Bleach (Wii, Sega) - NEW ENTRY

Edit: Removed sinobi's numbers, as per the note from duckroll about them not matching up with the MC chart (Stock Trader - 20,000, Rainy Lord - 15,000, if you were wondering).

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
jj984jj said:
Did anybody notice how big a week PSP is having this week? With the New Year rush it might actually do well. Sony is launching a new blue color PSP and big titles like ToW as well as MGS:pO could very well give it a push.

Considering what the PSP sold at this time last year, I wouldn't really call it big.

donny2112 said:

If I can make a small suggestion/ask a favor, would it be possible to make the black lines that correspond to the weeks labeled on the graph longer? It'd make it possible to know what weeks the labels are for. it's kinda hard to tell as is.

duckroll

jesusraz said:
So, 31-50 looks like this:

31.) Chocobo & the Magic Picture Book (NDS, Square Enix) - NEW ENTRY
32.) Tamagotchi Corner Shop 2 (NDS, Bandai Namco)
33.) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii, Nintendo)
34.) Large Scramble (NDS, Banpresto) - NEW ENTRY
35.) Motor Storm (PS3, SCE) - NEW ENTRY
36.) Made in Wario Smooth Moves (Wii, Nintendo)
37.) Stock Trader Kabutore! (NDS, Konami) - 20,000 | NEW ENTRY
38.) Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA, Square Enix)
39.) Electric Brain Repetition (NDS, Shogakukan Inc.)
40.) English Training (NDS, Nintendo)
41.) Cooking Navi (NDS, Nintendo)
42.) Magic Taizen (NDS, Nintendo)
43.) Tales of Destiny (PS2, Bandai Namco)
44.) Gintama Revolution (NDS, Konami)
45.) Power Pro Baseball 9 (NDS, Konami)
46.) Blue Dragon (360, Microsoft)
47.) Final Fantasy III (NDS, Square Enix)
48.) Touch the Rainy Lord (??) (NDS, Nintendo) - 15,000 | NEW ENTRY
49.) Ridge Racer 7 (PS3, Bandai Namco)
50.) Bleach (Wii, Sega) - NEW ENTRY

Stuck in a couple of numbers from sinobi...

But sinobi also said Blue Dragon did 17k, while Motorstorm did 10k. Clearly his numbers are more in line with Enterbrain tracking, making it incompatible with MC numbers.

jesusraz

Okay, so none of his numbers should be referred to when looking at the MC list...? Then I'll edit out the random figures.

Here's the hardware:

Hardware - This Week | Last Week | Total 2006 Sales | Lifetime Sales

1.) Nintendo DS Lite - 319,708 | 309,630 | 6,761,521 | 6,761,521
2.) Nintendo Wii - 108,237 | 85,439 | 544,034 | 544,034
3.) PlayStation 3 - 70,942 | 50,171 | 308,949 | 308,949
4.) PlayStation Portable - 48,962 | 28,930 | 1,641,910 | 4,324,866
5.) PlayStation 2 - 37,730 | 30,460 | 1,365,857 | 20,070,481
6.) Xbox 360 - 17,168 | 35,343 | 160,014 | 230,580
7.) Game Boy Advance SP - 1,867 | 1,896 | 219,003 | 5,911,439
8.) Game Boy micro - 1,491 | 1,555 | 139,765 | 555,454
9.) GameCube - 1,152 | 569 | 73,781 | 4,167,371
10.) Nintendo DS - 158 | 167 | 934.924 | 6,581,873
11.) Game Boy Advance - 42 | 17 | 3,351 | 8,823,001
12.) Xbox - 3 | 6 | 1,755 | 475,598

jj984jj said:
Well, it's still down 43% over last year. If the next few weeks compare similarly, they'll be something like... 92K, 63K, 76K before dropping down. You're right that blue should have an effect, though.

Hmm. Looking at this stuff now just made me notice something interesting. From April through September PSP was doing better in 2006 than 2005, when suddenly the percentages flip. At that same time, PS2 began to have some better-than-2005 weeks, when previously it had always been a negative comparison. I think this has more to do with PSP being fairly strong late last year and PS2 being fairly weak late last year than any sudden changes late this year.

jesusraz

Anyone think the DSL can crack 7.5 million by the end of the year? It certainly seems like if Nintendo can supply the stock quick enough!

cvxfreak said:
Thanks for hardware jesusraz. :D

No worries - had to use a calculator, though, which is sad, but when I've just woken up, doing quick arithmetic in my head hurts :/

:lol

Time to go check out Opera Wii...

duckroll

Interestingly, this week both Dengeki and Enterbrain are tracking Ryu ga Gotoku 2 waaaay higher than Media Create. What could this mean?!

cvxfreak

About 1,129,000 pieces of Wii software sold already. Wii sold 89K this week for a total of 555K hardware.

EDIT: All according to Dengeki.

Top Bottom