• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11/27 - 12/03

Deku

Banned
Nintendo is so powerful in Japan they only need to send a sub category of one of their product lines to fight the 360 in Japan and whoda thunk, the the dimunitive Game Boy Micro. [/exagerated_commentary]

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
43K for Blue Dragon is considered good now? Isn't this the title that was going to save Xbox 360 in Japan?

Striek

Chances are if Blue Dragon were to effect a turn-around in JPN, its not going to be by selling to people who already own the system. Anyone whose buying the system for Blue Dragon will buy the bundle, so we'll see how it went when that data comes out.

And of course, only a few are ridiculous enough to believe that anymore, and 43k is good for an Xbox360 game.

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
I really hope you're not EXPECTING anything out of this. DoA games are big considering the userbase, and nothing ever came out of 'em.
Exepcting, no. Just interested. Microsoft pinned all their hopes on this game "saving" the 360 in Japan. What DOAX2 showed was that new games WILL move some hardware (360 jumped up to 7k, when the weekly average had been around 1-2k). Not much, but enough to show software matters. I'm curious to see if Blue Dragon causes any kind of a bump. I'm not expecting miracles or anything.

Striek said:
And of course, only a few are ridiculous enough to believe that anymore, and 43k is good for an Xbox360 game.

you are right, but the problem is how the game will do in the next weeks... according to amazon.jp chart, BD dropped a lot after 2 days, the same happened to DoA2X which failed to enter top50 the second week on the market...

Neomoto

ChrisAllenFiz said:
30K systems would be a decent effort,if it turns out to be true
More like incredible (for xbox360), considering the hardware sales per week of this year. I don't believe it to be true actually, but we'll see I guess..

Leonsito

Moor-Angol said:
why PSP should be above PS3 and 360? Some new color ? I remember a new one is planned for 21st december...

I have to go with the logic, if PSP can't sell above 30k in the second week of december ... bail out!

Good for Microsoft if they can actually move 30,000 units in Japan. Is there anything after Blue Dragon this year for the 360 that might let Microsoft sustain sales?

Stopsign said:
Good for Microsoft if they can actually move 30,000 units in Japan. Is there anything after Blue Dragon this year for the 360 that might let Microsoft sustain sales?

Lost planet, 21st

EDF3, but its a niche title

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
30k is way too high for X360 to become next PS2 :lol
Even if that 30k report is accurate, next week 360 sales will drop below 10k again.

GhaleonEB

ChrisAllenFiz said:
Lost planet, 21st

EDF3, but its a niche title
That should help. If word of mouth is good on BD then the rest of the 100k in bundles could move steadily through Christmas. And if MS manages out outsell the PS3, even if it is for one week ony....l o l

JMPovoa

Amazon.jp charts? Does that really matter in the big picture?
Is it normal for sales to almost deplete after the 1st day of sales? I'd figure many people didn't want to stand in line to buy BD and wait for the next day to go out there and buy it...

heidern

Those Blue Dragon sales are pretty good. You can't really expect much more at this point. And who knows, with the holiday period upon us it may even grow some legs.

Oh, people really need to chech their pms, including CVX and Lancestern.

cvxfreak

So perhaps around 35-40K 360 systems sold this week? That's near launch numbers.

Gotta say, given MS's position, they're doing a great job selling their system. Lost Planet's coming in a bundle as well, and that can boost 360 sales again (not the scale of Blue Dragon, it seems, but still considerable).

GhaleonEB

cvxfreak said:
So perhaps around 35-40K 360 systems sold this week? That's near launch numbers.

Gotta say, given MS's position, they're doing a great job selling their system. Lost Planet's coming in a bundle as well, and that can boost 360 sales again (not the scale of Blue Dragon, it seems, but still considerable).
I think the LP bundle is limited to 5,000 units, IIRC. You're right about launch numbers, too - the 360 launched in the 40k range. The question is, how many people picked up 360's after the first day, and will the bump at all be sustainable?

bloke said:
According to japanese xbox-news, BD sold 70k first day (bundle included), guess then at least 30k jump is to be expected in next week's 360 hw sales.

That would mean 27k bundles day one?

That would be nice. Maybe the title+bundles could see 100k this week. That would be great. Wendsday/thurs is the biggest m-create ever. BD and Wii week 2s test of legs.

apujanata

Comparison between 2005 and 2006

Code:
Year	Week		NDS	PSP	GBA	PS3	Wii	XBOX 360	PS2	GC	XBOX
2005 Dec Week 1 (28-04)	 176,958 	 92,121 	 15,094 	 -	-	-   	 32,042 	 6,494 	 149 
2006 Dec Week 1 (27-03)	 177,041 	 23,917 	 2,846 	 31,436 	 350,358 	 4,053 	 23,115 	 821 	 11

Beside the big drop of PSP (and GBA), NDS managed to stay almost constant, while GCN and XBOX drop around 90%. It should be interesting to see how much X360 will sell during 2006 Dec Week 2 (04-10), compared to 2005 Dec Week 2 (05-11) of 43,970

mj1108

cvxfreak said:

So is it possible the 360 could outsell the PS3 for the week? :p

December 8, 2006 - According to a new Famitsu Marketing survey, Sony's PlayStation Portable is getting walloped in Japan by Nintendo's DS. In November alone, the PSP sold a mere 86,000 units compared to nearly 550,000 DS Lites. More shocking are numbers for the first 11 months of the year, which show that Nintendo may have all but closed the door on PSP in Japan. The DS and DS Lite have sold more than 7.5 million units so far this year, with PSP selling just 1.6 million units.

Further troubling for Sony's portable system are its software sales in comparison to Nintendo. PSP has sold 2.8 million games to date this year, while Nintendo has sold 27 million games. This is what is referred to in business as a clobbering.

The battle is a bit closer in the U.S., though Nintendo retains a strong lead month-to-month. In November, likely the busiest sales month of the year, twice as many DS Lites were sold as PSPs.

Publicly, Sony has shown nothing but confidence for the future of the PSP. Despite having weaker sales numbers compared to DS, the PSP had a strong year in terms of quality software. Nine of the twelve PSP games to receive a 9.0 or higher from IGN were released in 2006.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/750/750195p1.html

Damn...

AniHawk said:
The hardware sales aren't THAT bad, but the software sales are absolutely abysmal. That's the most alarming thing there, and it will eventually reflect in hardware sales.

Yeah; software sales are where the money is, and they're simply not there for the PSP - in Japan or the US when you look at the numbers. That's a BAD sign.

cvxfreak

New Super Mario Brothers, More Brain Training or Pokemon DP alone far outsold all PSP games combined this year? :lol :lol

apujanata

PhoenixDark said:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/750/750195p1.html

Further troubling for Sony's portable system are its software sales in comparison to Nintendo. PSP has sold 2.8 million games to date this year, while Nintendo has sold 27 million games. This is what is referred to in business as a clobbering.

And currently we have 5 games for NDS that sold more than 2.8 Million LTD (More Brain Age, New Super Mario Brothers, Animal Crossing : Wild World, Pokemon Diamond & Pearl, Brain Age).

Even in US, GTA:VC for PSP barely break 100K+ sales in Nov, even though many hope that this game can help PSP in US. PSP Madden 07, the second highest PSP game (based on sales unit) in Nov, only manage to sell <70K.

I think PSP is dying, not only in Japan, but in the US (with US probably lagging Japan by one year).

AniHawk

GDGF said:
Happy birthday PSP! :D
4bqzn8k.jpg

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
I like what the IGN article had to say...it gave us the big picture of the DS - PSP battle, but also pointed out the superior software that the PSP has delivered in 2006. That being said, I haven't even picked up that system in over two weeks now because of FF III and EBA...I doubt I will even bother with it until after Christmas. As much as it pains me to say this, I think 2007 will be the last good year that the PSP has (in terms of software quality)...the DS just looks so promising now and in the future.

Edit:

Damn, Phoenix Wright 2, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Castlevania: PoR, Metal Gear Solid: PO, Grand Theft Auto: VCS, Metal Slug Anthology.....my handheld gaming budget is going to kill me this month and next.

Deku

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Time for you to change your tag to two years ago!
hehe, I didn't put that tag unfortunately, I guess the mods thought I was insane to said what I said back then so I got my tag. I'm merely mocking it. ;)

BTW, are those IGN numbers wrong as Rock_Man claimed?

apujanata

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Nov 20-26

2. NDS Jump Ultimate Stars 169740 / NEW
4. PS2 J-League Winning Eleven 10 + Europe League 06-07 90799 / NEW
7. 360 Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 45065 / NEW
8. PSP Jeanne D'Arc PSP 44280 / NEW
15. 360 Culdcept Saga 19984 / NEW
16. PS2 Tensei Manabu Engekkouroku 17190 / NEW
18. NDS Gotouchi Kenkei DS 15297 / NEW
19. NDS Bokutai Djang and Sabata 15053 / NEW
20. PS2 NBA Live 07 13990 / NEW
23. PSP Riviera: Yakusoku no Chi 10047 / NEW
28. PS2 Guitar Freaks V2 & DrumMania V2 8839 / NEW

Some comparison with the new games predecessor (if any) first week sales, or just comment :
Jump Stars : 261692 (21 Aug 05, 2 weeks period sales #)
Winning Eleven 10 World Soccer : 615,521 (7-May-06, also 2 weeks period sales).
Is DOAX2 the highest selling X360 game ever (in the first week) ?
Boktai first week sales are very low.

apujanata

Rock_Man said:
The data is incorrect! Famitsu reported PSP software sales of 3,266,000 for the half year (Jan-June 2006). The YTD number is now probably around 6 million. The other numbers are false too.

Hmm. Do you have the link ? Or maybe just the link to NeoGAF post ? Do you have the DS software figure for the Jan-June 2006 ?

If IGN is wrong, then IGN FTL. :)

ethelred

Rock_Man said:
The data is incorrect! Famitsu reported PSP software sales of 3,266,000 for the half year (Jan-June 2006). The YTD number is now probably around 6 million. The other numbers are false too.

Uh... are you sure? I'm looking at the half-year chart's top 100... and on that, PSP software is only 1,495,610.

I'm finding it kinda hard to believe everything below the top 100 would more than double that figure, given that #100 is at 60k.

PSP games in the top 100:
14 PSP Monster Hunter Portable Capcom 416,285
39 PSP Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth Square Enix 151,798
45 PSP Jikkyo Powerful Pro Yakyu Portable Konami 134,023
49 PSP Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai 123,903
57 PSP Ryuta Kawashima's Brain Trainer Portable 111,322
58 PSP Talkman 110,313
62 PSP Initial D: Street Stage 102,775
75 PSP Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable Square Enix 88,925
76 PSP Super Robot Taisen MX Portable Banpresto 87,342
78 PSP Go! Sudoku 85,474
81 PSP Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee Sony 83,450

Top Bottom