• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/14 - 5/20

Vinnk said:
Forza 2 is a great game. And lots of current 360 owners will probably buy it. But it's no system buying app. I can't imagine anyone who will buy the system to play that game. However a people considering a 360 for Blue Dragon or Trusty Bell might be pushed over the edge by it. But not 6000 people.

Then again who knows maybe 4000 more people will get the 360 this week and 2000 less people decide on a PS3.

I wouldn't put money on it. But I would definately read the MC thread with increased interest.

I really don't understand how a game like Gran Turismo can sell millions in Japan, and yet a very well-reviewed, competent (at worst) clone can sell barely 50k and barely push 3k systems. I can't understand that kind of one-sided indifference, even from existing Japanese 360 owners. Forza deserves to outsell crap like RR6/7.

time for some awesome ps3forums comments:

in my opinion, the Wii is selling so much because stop selling GC games and the nintendo fans need a console to play. plus it's cheap

Except for a few key titles whats going on in Japan does not bother me, I mean they rarely buy western games that I would want to play and looking at their top 30 game chart I'd hardly want anything of theirs either. Therefore sales over there have next to no bearing on what western developers might do. When was the last time a western game on any system made the top 30 for more than a week?

People picking up the Wii are Gamecube owners who can only afford the Wii.

Awesome sales for Nintendo as always. Seems like people in Japan doesn't want to take a 2nd job to afford a ps3. I have no problem undeerstanding that.

Vinnk

Thank you to everyone who wished me (or Ouendan 2) good luck. I am going home now and will propose in a few hours. I'll let you all know how it goes.

sphinx

the piano man
Except for a few key titles whats going on in Japan does not bother me, I mean they rarely buy western games that I would want to play and looking at their top 30 game chart I'd hardly want anything of theirs either. Therefore sales over there have next to no bearing on what western developers might do. When was the last time a western game on any system made the top 30 for more than a week?

WAHNSINN!!
( translated = WTF?!?!? )

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Vinnk said:
Thank you to everyone who wished me (or Ouendan 2) good luck. I am going home now and will propose in a few hours. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Good luck :)

D.Lo

Vinnk said:
Your're not a werewolf are you?

Best of luck!

Vinnk's our very own Densha Otoko. Minus, y'know, the train and need for dating advice and. . . well, everything.

Can we still call him Sales-Age Otoko?

RBH said:
I just want to see the 360 outsell the PS3 for at least one week in Japan just to see the reaction on GAF. :lol :D

Yep, that's the only thing about Sales Age that interests me now. I wanna see the streams cross and see the 360 outsell the PS3 on a weekly basis :D

D.Lo said:
I think the difference is how much worse it is for Sony. Nintendo fans always had at least these two comebacks 'Nintendo still makes a lot of profit' and 'GBA is still king'. Sony fans have neither of these points, they have losses, a marginalised handheld, and a fading last-gen console as their only bright spot. Not to mention the fact that the PS3 is doing far, far worse then the Gamecube, especially in software.

Nintendo fans were also conditioned by the N64, they weren't falling straight from the NES to the GCN, and most of the generation the fight was for second place - nobody in their right mind thought Nintendo would 'beat' Sony after 2001.

Good points. I would add that Sony simply doesn't have as many or as devoted fans as Nintendo has had; really, there's not a lot to be a fan of.

Odysseus said:
when is nintendo going to get some new production capacity, or have they done so already?

the way things are going, i wonder if they'll even be able to stockpile enough units to have the monster holiday season we all expect them to have.

of course, they could be stockpiling units already, for all i know.
Well you have to look at a global scale really. Super Mario Strikers was just released in Europe and it's a pretty big game here (even the predecessor was and that was on frikkin' GC). I bet you they send a good amount of Wiis over the big pond. With the demand being high in all 3 major territories I guess we'll see the number of Wiis available fluctuate for quite some time in the future.

There was talks of Nintendo looking for another partner. I think FoxConn was pretty high on the list.

Tf53

I get a good night's sleep and decide to check out the sales figures, and the MC thread has turned into some kind of Dr. Phil episode on getting married? :lol

J/k, good luck Vinnk.

Saitou said:
WHAT THE HOLY LIVING FUCKING SHIT IS THIS CRAP!!?¿?¿¡'!

Sorry, I'm prolly LTTP, but it would seem someone took a certain BBspot article too seriously.

StevieP

Banned
FoxConn is already making Wii's. I think you meant ASUS is high up on that list. Anyway, Good Luck Vinnk. May your outcome be more like the Wii's and less like the PS3's.

Xzbeat

lupin23rd said:
Is that game still coming out? I heard it was cancelled (or that it wasn't on the cancelled list) but can't remember. And then I hard that the cancelled games weren't actually cancelled, it was all so confusing!

I'm not really a SDF member (didn't own a PS1 or a PS2), but I think the future isn't all as bleak as you guys make it out to be. I think once Sigma hits, hardware sales will bump up (as in up to 10-15000) for the next 6 weeks or so as there is some software coming out. I think there are still a lot of games that have been announced but not unveiled, so we'll see how that plays out. If August continues that trend, the Wii might only be a 4 or 5 to 1 victor.

Maybe it's just the fact that my last three consoles are Gamecube, Dreamcast, and Saturn that's giving me optimism because I enjoyed those consoles a lot :)

m
I hope you're not supporting the Wii because it's going to bomb if you do.
Go away with your bad luck.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Vinnk said:
Whoa, you're going to offer her a copy of Ouendan 2 instead of a ring?

Good luck man, you have balls of pure steel.

jesusraz said:
It was recently stated by Famitsu to have now sold over its 500,000 shipment figure that we learned of a while back. And then there's the EGM rumour that stated it IS coming to the US... :)

good to hear. thx jesusraz

milanbaros

Member?
Looks like the Wii will start tracking above the PS2 soon. What happened to the PS2 after 25 or so weeks? It went on a run of nearly 4 months when the console sold more than the week before only once. Were the shipments moved from Japan to the US and Europe?

StevieP said:
FoxConn is already making Wii's. I think you meant ASUS is high up on that list. Anyway, Good Luck Vinnk. May your outcome be more like the Wii's and less like the PS3's.
That could be true. Maybe they were in talks with FoxConn about upping the production on those mainboards? Don't remember where I read all this-short term memory ftl.

Tailzo said:
I heard that from Denis (developer of Tpp Human). Not sure if he started it though.

Yeah, he said that one console is "inevitable" for the future. Bullshits. As long as there will be concurrence, there will be more then just one console and it has to be like that.

I don't think Denis would be happy to develop only for the Wii.....

Salazar

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Yeah, he said that one console is "inevitable" for the future.

And if we did somehow end up with a one console situation, Denis would do his prophet / dauntless truth-teller thing about the inevitable return of the multi-console age.

I hope you guys all realise that if things go well tonight, we probably won't see Vinnk in this thread at least until Monday (Sunday for people in the US). We couldn't reasonably expect him to post the night he gets engaged, since he will be otherwise occupied. Tomorrow and Sunday don't look too good for us in terms of Vinnk having time to post either.

All I'm saying is let's not hold our breath for his immediate return.

On the other hand, I don't even want to think about what would happen if she didn't accept.

Having said that, Vinnk has either proposed, or is in the process of proposing as I post. I really wish him the best.

test_account

XP-39C²
Anyone feel that the same things are being said over and over when it comes to console sale numbers? Yesterday when i wrote some posts it made me think that i've written basicly the same arguements many times before. Made me wonder why i repeat myself every week, so to say. Got alittle exhausted just to think about it hehe.

Vagabundo

F#A#Oo said:
http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=74686

Link to the MC thread...

It's hard to believe that they can just make up excuses for the PS3 and explain away the success of the Wii.:lol

I think there are some GAF infiltrators on the PS3 boards, there is a lot of newbie members stirring things up. The old hands there look uncomfortable with the GAF debating style.

Has it ever occured to you that Sony is REALLY trying to revolutionize gaming?? Has it?? Well for that you'll need a PS3.. but it's gonna cost you dearly. For now. When the good games come, you'll see why you paid so much.

Stop worrying about Sony!! They had the same deal with the PS1 and PS2 and look where these consoles got!! I honestly think that this generations losses are being backed by the last two generations' profits... They were planning it, damnit!

It's called long term thinking.. something some 360 fanboys don't understand.

Nintendo never got to 100 millions of one console sold... Infact, I think combined, the Playstation brand sold more than ALL Nintendo consoles COMBINED. So stop worrying!

Haha Classic.. So everyone can stop worrying, Sony has a master plan.

Link1110

D.Lo said:
Your're not a werewolf are you?

Best of luck!
I'm sure no one else will get that joke, but
:lol :lol :lol

werewolf-ouendan.jpg

test_account said:
Anyone feel that the same things are being said over and over when it comes to console sale numbers? Yesterday when i wrote some posts it made me think that i've written basicly the same arguements many times before. Made me wonder why i repeat myself every week, so to say. Got alittle exhausted just to think about it hehe.
You're not alone in this. Lately, I find myself just reading MC threads for the numbers, for the Josh J Slone/PantherLotus analyses and Vinnk's Village Report and not posting much because I have nothing new to contribute.

Having said that though, it's always interesting when the thread turns into utter nonsense and milady Dragona pulls out the ban rifle. It's been happening pretty consistently of late.

test_account

XP-39C²
vicious_killer_squirrel said:
You're not alone in this. Lately, I find myself just reading MC threads for the numbers, for the Josh J Slone/PantherLotus analyses and Vinnk's Village Report and not posting much because I have nothing new to contribute.

Having said that though, it's always interesting when the thread turns into utter nonsense and milady Dragona pulls out the ban rifle. It's been happening pretty consistently of late.

Ye, i feel the same with consoles discussions when it comes to whos winning too. I think i will take a break for a while and wait until something drastic happends in the sales or within the consoles before i post or start a dicussion in those threads, unless i have some questions or something new or positive to come with. Maybe better to just read the sale stats for now :)

apujanata

test_account said:

I feel the same. We need some surprise, like :
- All PS3 game in Top 5 M-create
- No DS game in Top 10 M-create
- All Wii game in Top 5 M-create
- PS3 H/W reach 50K+ in one non-holiday week.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, you know Media Create threads are slow when people start bringing in PS3 fanboy posts from other message boards.

Kiriku said:
Wow, you know Media Create threads are slow when people start bringing in PS3 fanboy posts from other message boards.
It's been done for the past few weeks now. The absolute absense of Sony fanboys makes these threads boring as ****. And ps3forums, sonydefenceforce, systemwars are all full of comedy gold.

But yes, the charts are getting pretty boring.

LusDekkar

Juwanna Peezadis said:
Vinnk's our very own Densha Otoko. Minus, y'know, the train and need for dating advice and. . . well, everything.

Can we still call him Sales-Age Otoko?
:lol

Good luck Vinnk,
Sales-Age Otoko
, hope it goes well!

Jokeropia

This week is extra slow because it was almost identical to last week. Looking forward I'm still quite interested in how upcoming games will sell, if Wii shipments will increase and how far PS3 can drop etc.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
If the PS3 somehow fails to achieve 900K units next week, I expect to see a slew of pole vaulter / basketball oriented "rejected" gifs...

.....just saying GAF. Don't let me down.

Top Bottom