• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/26 - 6/1

Anth

HK-47 said:
Absence of evidence isnt evidence.
Still, the situation is unprecedented. More than every sixth person in Japan owns a DS, including the infants and the elderly. We don't even know if it's possible to increase that attach rate by large amounts anymore, because no console has done it before. Obviously a price drop will increase sales, but no one knows if it will be worth it.

In addition, Nintendo doesn't need to worry about market shares anymore. If you develop a Japanese games, there is no way around the DS anymore. Well - aside from the fact that the DS market is overpopulated right now, but selling a few more DS won't change that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Anth said:
Still, the situation is unprecedented. More than every sixth person in Japan owns a DS, including the infants and the elderly. We don't even know if it's possible to increase that attach rate by large amounts anymore, because no console has done it before. Obviously a price drop will increase sales, but no one knows if it will be worth it.

In addition, Nintendo doesn't need to worry about market shares anymore. If you develop a Japanese games, there is no way around the DS anymore. Well - aside from the fact that the DS market is overpopulated right now, but selling a few more DS won't change that.

And I stand by what I said. Do you have anything to back this up?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-YOY-YTD-79.jpg

mc-YOY-weekly-79.jpg

Year-on-year tracking
Wii: -165,881
PS3: -26,337

Next Week's Expectations

mc-projections-79.jpg

Estimated for last week - Actual = Difference (% Accuracy)
Wii: 53.5k - 50.1k = -3.4k (105.2%)
PS3: 8.2k - 9.0k = -0.4k (96.0%)
360: 1.5k - 1.9k = -0.4k (73.3%)
==============
Total units off: 4,200
Total accuracy: 97.1%

Next Week:
Wii: 47.6k
PS3: 8.8k
360: 1.6k

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Viink - Release dates for Wii
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/

(Btw, you or anyone you know interested in Tales of Symphonia : Knights of Ratatoskr? I'm wondering if it'll have any save-game transfers from the original gamecube ToS) :)

PantherLotus
I miss you not having the Ganon avatar. ;) But I still appreciate the charts. ^,^

Donny, do you know what the last 6 months have done to the attach rate of the PSP? I'm just curious if you have numbers handy. (if not, don't worry about it, just a question of interest)

Gaborn

Say Panther, just a suggestion, but it might be a good idea (for context's sake) to include a note of the percentage of last years sales the Wii/PS3 have sold in the YTD graph so far. I mean, anyone can figure it out easily but it's still worth noting that the numbers are closer than they appear.

just in case anyone is interested, the Wii is at 90.158% and the PS3 is at 94.188% of it's 2007 YTD.

Pachael

Gaborn said:
Say Panther, just a suggestion, but it might be a good idea (for context's sake) to include a note of the percentage of last years sales the Wii/PS3 have sold in the YTD graph so far. I mean, anyone can figure it out easily but it's still worth noting that the numbers are closer than they appear.

just in case anyone is interested, the Wii is at 90.158% and the PS3 is at 94.188% of it's 2007 YTD.

I miss the previous title to that chart, although I can also see why it was removed.

Gaborn

Pachael said:
I miss the previous title to that chart, although I can also see why it was removed.

Yeah, still though, it, along with all the others is incredibly useful and amazing as usual. (it's late, I'm tired or I would've remembered to THANK Panther, Cheesemeister and donny, and preemptively Joshua.)

OldJadedGamer said:
I think it's a lack of first party Japanese support and Japan's general lack of caring about Blu-ray as a movie playing format.

I'm seriously stunned how all the best first party PS3 games are coming from the West. Outside of Hot Shots Golf, what has SCEJ released that is on par with stuff like Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank?
GT5:p? Btw, Ratchet & Clank PS2: 562.658 LTD. Although later iterations never reclaimed that former glory.

What did SCEJ release on PS2 that was a huge hit outside HSG and GT? SCEJ were not the driving force behind PS2's success in Japan me thinks.

They did release stuff like Boku no Natsu Yasumi on PS3, which had quite a following on PS2. There's also Genji, Folk Souls and The Eye of Judgement :lol . With the exception of maybe the EoJ (due to the WotC colaboration, but more aimed at western audiences) those were not really high profile though.

Opiate said:
I think it's clear that the PSP hardware revival is having at least some effect on software, and this week shows that most clearly. Not as hefty a rise as Sony might want, but some. I don't think there's any way we would have seen these results 9 months ago.
Powapuro really came out of nowhere, although there were apparently enough copies available for such a first week. The other new titles performances are not really anything to write home about imo though.

It'll be interesting to see if Powapuro becomes a break-out hit (if it displays comparable legs to the other titles) and if we see more of those when the slow period of the year is over.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Gaborn said:

I appreciate the feedback, and I probably will include something like that next week. I would note that the chart (and related chart) in question were intended to show pacing as a relatively accurate predictor of what is about to happen, but including your suggestion will certainly add some value to the chart as we get further and further away from 2007 sales.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
anyone willing to do a donny-style release labeling of this? the only thing that is extremely obvious to me is the gundabump, but it would be interesting to see if Sony and Nintendo have a habit of doing the same thing every year. It might prove useful for predicting release dates, too. ;)

http://images.redial.net/mc-YOY-weekly-79.jpg

cross reference with this one:

http://images.redial.net/mc-weekly-line-79.jpg

I'm going to make a wild guess and say that Nintendo has a big release slotted for the second week of July this year. Any ideas?

Tenbatsu

PantherLotus said:
I'm going to make a wild guess and say that Nintendo has a big release slotted for the second week of July this year. Any ideas?
19th June - Mario Stadium: Family Baseball
2cp8bxl.jpg

24 July - Wario Land Shake
31st July - Fatal Frame 4

Dont think they got anything big release for the second week of July.

oo Kosma oo said:
Does the PS2 have any semi major release left?
Sengoku Basara X, Persona 4, Pawapuro 15...thats just June/July. Also SRTZ, Ratchet 5 (PSP port), WE J-League...and probably more yearly entries like WE12, DBZ BT4 and things like that.

First day sales

PS3 Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit - 60.000
WII Fushigi no Dungeon - Furai no Shiren 3: Karakuri Yashiki no Nemuri Hime - 40.000 (40% sell through)
360 Ninja Gaiden II - 20.000
NDS DS Yamamura Misa Suspense - 17.000
360 Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit - 8.000
PS2 Oookuki - Uncountable

DBZBL sells about 68k, about half compared to the latest DBZ, Sparking Meteor, which sold 115k on PS2 and 22k on Wii for a 137k total.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma sold 23k first day, Yamamura Suspense seems to be doing similar to Nishimura Suspense.

Now with NG2 and Yamamura Suspense (competing for longest title ever also)...
DS Yamamura Misa Suspense: Maiko Kogiku - Kisha Katherine - Sougiya Isa Akashi - Koto ni Maru Hana Sanrin: Kyoto Satujin Jinken File

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales

WII Fushigi no Dungeon - Furai no Shiren 3: Karakuri Yashiki no Nemuri Hime - 40.000 (40% sell through)

good numbers, i think they can sell all the first shipment stock in 2-3 weeks

look SEGA, good games sell on Wii, bring us Virtua Cop 3, Jet Set Radio, Ollie King and many others !

donny2112

vanguardian1 said:
Donny, do you know what the last 6 months have done to the attach rate of the PSP?

Going by Famitsu and trying to include everything in my database and assuming you're trying to see how much software has been sold since about the Slim's release,

PSP until 20070901: 12.9 million in software
PSP since 20070901: 7.99 million in software
(PSP in last six months: 4.06 million in software)

Media-Create hardware in timeframe:

PSP until 20070901: 5.88 million
PSP since 20070901: 3.61 million
(PSP in last six months: 2.57 million)

Mixing Media-Create and Famitsu to come up with a tie ratio (not the preferred method, but just because it's what I have on hand),

PSP until 20070901: 2.19
PSP since 20070901: 2.21
(PSP in last six months: 1.58)

The real tie ratio would be something higher, of course.

PantherLotus said:
anyone willing to do a donny-style release labeling of this?

In reference, the latest console chart can be found here.

apujanata

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales

DBZBL sells about 68k, about half compared to the latest DBZ, Sparking Meteor, which sold 115k on PS2 and 22k on Wii for a 137k total.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma sold 23k first day, Yamamura Suspense seems to be doing similar to Nishimura Suspense.

DS Yamamura Misa Suspense: Maiko Kogiku - Kisha Katherine - Sougiya Isa Akashi - Koto ni Maru Hana Sanrin: Kyoto Satujin Jinken File

No Burst Limit for Wii or X360 ? Good figure (for a PS3 game)
Shiren 3 has good figure (for a third party Wii game)

Anth

iidesuyo said:
product_life_cycle.gif

The NDS is in phase four. There's no "shame" in lowering the price, actually that would be a very sane thing to do.
It seems odd to call it declining, when the platform is as healthly as ever. It's just that everyone and his unborn brother have one already.

[Nintex]

Anth said:
It seems odd to call it declining, when the platform is as healthly as ever. It's just that everyone and his unborn brother have one already.
I don't think the sales are declining at all, maybe in Japan but in Europe and the US it seems to be as healthy as ever. The lower sales in Japan gives them a chance to ship more to the US/EU.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Anth said:
Except, you know, around 105 million people in Japan.

For a device that's supposed to be targeted towards "everyone" it's supposed to be roping in those people.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Looks like Shiren 3 got a lower shipment than Shiren 2 did, I hope it has longer legs!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales

Pretty decent Shiren 3 numbers. Not great, but decent.

apujanata said:
No Burst Limit for Wii or X360 ? Good figure (for a PS3 game)
Burst Limit isn't a Wii title. The X360 number is there though (look lower in the list lol).

Added Oookuki PS2, uncountable. Dunno if we'll get more numbers, like Fifa Street 3 PS3/360, 99 no Namida or Pachislot Ridge Racer.

NeonZ

The Sparking meteor and Burst Limit numbers are just for the first day, right? Do you know the final PS2 and Wii numbers?

NeonZ said:
The Sparking meteor and Burst Limit numbers are just for the first day, right? Do you know the final PS2 and Wii numbers?
Yep, those are first day numbers.

First week (LTD)
Meteor PS2 - 162k (283k)
Meteor Wii - 35k (90k)

Does anyone has first day numbers for Shiren the Wanderer [DS], to compare? :)

I know that it managed 79.932 in the first week and 195.052 LTD.

kottila

Captain Smoker said:
Does anyone has first day numbers for Shiren the Wanderer [DS], to compare? :)

I know that it managed 79.932 in the first week and 195.052 LTD.

First weeks and ltd

Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 2: Oni Shuurai Shiren Shiro! (N64) 117.982 (283.991)
Fushigi no Dungeon 2: Fūrai no Shiren (SFC) 99.678 (196.195
Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren Gaiden: Jokenji Asuka Kenzan! (DC) 25.512 (50.750)
Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren DS (DS) 79.932 (195.052)

justjohn said:
:lol looks like itagaki bailed out at the right time
Uhm what did you expect? Sigma did 40k first week, this will do around 30k first week. The series is aimed at the western market.

Captain Smoker said:
Does anyone has a list with titles, which are going to be released in the next few months for WiiPS360? ^^
WiiPS3360

Btw, sinobi comments that SCIV ratio is expected to be better to 360 than DBZBL. Reserves via his blog seem to be 6:4 for PS3 right now.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Thx. ^^

360:
06/19 FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage
06/26 Battlefield: Bad Company
06/26 Mobile Suit Gundam: Operation: Troy
07/10 Atsumare! Pinata (Xbox 360 Platinum Collection)
07/10 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Map Download Special Limited Edition)
07/10 Forza Motorsport 2 (Xbox 360 Platinum Collection)
07/10 Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
07/10 Test Drive Unlimited (Xbox 360 Platinum Collection)
07/10 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Platinum Colleciton)
07/17 Clannad
07/17 Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements
07/24 Bully: Scholarship Edition
07/31 Beijing 2008 - The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games
07/31 Soul Calibur IV
08/07 NBA 2K8
08/28 Too Human
09/02 Infinite Undiscovery

PS3:
06/12 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
06/26 Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
06/26 The Darkness
07/03 Boku no Natsuyasumi 3 (PlayStation 3 the Best)
07/03 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Map Download Special Limited Edition)
07/03 Enchant Arm (PlayStation 3 the Best)
07/03 Initial D: Extreme Stage
07/03 Ninja Gaiden Sigma (PlayStation 3 the Best)
07/03 Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PlayStation 3 the Best)
07/10 Dark Sector
07/10 Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
07/17 Tears to Tiara: Kakan no Daichi
07/24 Kung Fu Panda
07/24 Siren New Translation
07/24 Wangan Midnight (PlayStation 3 the Best)
07/31 Beijing 2008 - The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games
07/31 Soul Calibur IV
08/07 NBA 2K8
08/21 Vampire Rain: Altered Species
08/28 Afrika
08/28 Battlefield: Bad Company
09/11 Stranglehold

Wii:
06/10 TV Show King
06/19 Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary (Special Price)
06/19 Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 4
06/19 Super Mario Stadium: Family Baseball
06/24 Blue Oasis: Uo no Iyashi Kuukan
06/24 Ouchide Infinite Puchi Puchi Wii
06/26 Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk
06/26 The World of Golden Eggs: Nori Nori Rhythm Kei
07/03 Akko de Pon! Ikasama Hourouki
07/03 Jawa: Mammoth to Himitsu no Ishi
07/10 BioHazard 0
07/10 Dokapon Kingdom
07/10 Puzzle Series Vol. 2: Illust Logic + Colorful Logic
07/10 Speed Racer
07/17 Boom Blox
07/24 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15
07/24 Kung Fu Panda
07/24 Mesaze! Tsuri Master: Sekai ni Challenge! Hen
07/24 Samurai Spirits Rokuban Shoubu
07/24 Wario Land Shake
07/31 Wii de Tokoton Kanji Nou
07/31 Zero: Gesshoku no Kamen
08/07 Imabikisou: Kaimei Hen
08/07 Survival Kids Wii
09/04 Rainbow Pop
09/25 Sugoro Chronicle: Migite ni Ken o Hidarite ni Saikoro o
10/23 Tenchu 4
11/27 Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekidou

noonche

Phife Dawg said:
GT5:p? Btw, Ratchet & Clank PS2: 562.658 LTD. Although later iterations never reclaimed that former glory.

That probably has more then a little to do with R&C1 being bundled with the PS2 for a while.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
alske said:
That probably has more then a little to do with R&C1 being bundled with the PS2 for a while.

Bundled copies do not count as software sales and are you sure R&C1 was bundled in Japan?

noonche

Stumpokapow said:
Bundled copies do not count as software sales and are you sure R&C1 was bundled in Japan?

Yeah, it was bundled with the PS2 for 26,800 yen for quite a while.

Also, I think that number is from Sony released series-totals. Not from MC or Famitsu.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
alske said:
Also, I think that number is from Sony released series-totals. Not from MC or Famitsu.

Nope that's the Famitsu number care of Japan-Gamecharts.com. Hmmm, I wonder how many of the bundles sold.

Based on the latest Famitsu numbers...

PS3 comparisons: After 81 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 17.9 weeks (July 1, 2000), where PSP was at 49.9 weeks (November 19, 2005), where GCN was at 73.9 weeks (February 8, 2003), and where Wii was at 19.7 weeks (April 12, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 78 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 80.7 weeks (October 3, 2002), where DS was at 66.2 weeks (March 6, 2006), where PS2 was at 95.0 weeks (December 23, 2001), and where PSP was at 145.6 weeks (September 19, 2007).

Based on the latest Media Create numbers...

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 34.8 / 65.2, bringing total shares to 70.4 / 29.6. At this week's rates PSP catches up to DS in 390.5 weeks (November 26, 2015). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 182.5 weeks (December 1, 2011). This is the tenth week in a row that the weekly shares have been 30-something and 60-something.

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 15.3 / 84.7, bringing total shares to 25.2 / 74.8. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 443.6 weeks (December 2, 2016). This is the third week in a row that the weekly shares have been fifteen-point-something and eighty-four-point-something.

perfectchaos007 said:
If only the PSP had a 10 year lifespan it would eventually overtake the DS at these rates.
As the above showed, it would take until nearly the 11th anniversary of their releases.
perfectchaos007 said:
I'd buy it if it also contained all the other classics. Like a Super Mario All-Stars game. But Nintendo doesn't do value compilations anymore. They like to sell them all individually for for full price now a days.
You're a few years late on that one. With cheap VC releases the full-price individual portable rereleases are far less common.
alske said:
Yeah, it was bundled with the PS2 for 26,800 yen for quite a while.
If so, it doesn't show very much on the graph. Seems pretty standard. Early December release that continued having good weeks through the holidays, then dropped off sharply.
1028+-+Ratchet+%26+Clank+-+PS2

JoshuaJSlone said:
Based on the latest Famitsu numbers...

PS3 comparisons: After 81 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 17.9 weeks (July 1, 2000), where PSP was at 49.9 weeks (November 19, 2005), where GCN was at 73.9 weeks (February 8, 2003), and where Wii was at 19.7 weeks (April 12, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 78 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 80.7 weeks (October 3, 2002), where DS was at 66.2 weeks (March 6, 2006), where PS2 was at 95.0 weeks (December 23, 2001), and where PSP was at 145.6 weeks (September 19, 2007).

Based on the latest Media Create numbers...

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 34.8 / 65.2, bringing total shares to 70.4 / 29.6. At this week's rates PSP catches up to DS in 390.5 weeks (November 26, 2015). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 182.5 weeks (December 1, 2011). This is the tenth week in a row that the weekly shares have been 30-something and 60-something.

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 15.3 / 84.7, bringing total shares to 25.2 / 74.8. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 443.6 weeks (December 2, 2016). This is the third week in a row that the weekly shares have been fifteen-point-something and eighty-four-point-something.

As the above showed, it would take until nearly the 11th anniversary of their releases.

You're a few years late on that one. With cheap VC releases the full-price individual portable rereleases are far less common.

If so, it doesn't show very much on the graph. Seems pretty standard. Early December release that continued having good weeks through the holidays, then dropped off sharply.
1028+-+Ratchet+%26+Clank+-+PS2

I love these posts so much that I signed up instead of just lurking mostly so I could say so.

Gaborn

As usual, Joshua's contribution is amazing and detailed and extremely excellent. Still, I'm curious, the PSP vs DS and PS3vsWii comparisons seem to be more hard coded, I know you can do the Wii in terms of... and PS3 in terms of... comparisons for other consoles on your site, but I don't believe right now there is a way to do the head to head comparison for other benchmarks than LTD for the PS3/Wii or DS/PSP. Is that a design design/ease of implementation, decision or lack of time/interest on your part? I'd love to see the PS3LTD vs Wii through first year for catch date 2 for example or have the freedom to test other direct comparisons using those metrics if it's at all possible and easy for you to do, as it is the information is pretty interesting but catch date 2 is not exactly realistic or "useful."

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gaborn said:
As usual, Joshua's contribution is amazing and detailed and extremely. Still, I'm curious, the PSP vs DS and PS3vsWii comparisons seem to be more hard coded, I know you can do the Wii in terms of... and PS3 in terms of... comparisons for other consoles on your site, but I don't believe right now there is a way to do the head to head comparison for other benchmarks than LTD for the PS3/Wii or DS/PSP. Is that a design design/ease of implementation, decision or lack of time/interest on your part? I'd love to see the PS3LTD vs Wii through first year for catch date 2 for example or have the freedom to test other direct comparisons using those metrics if it's at all possible and easy for you to do, as it is the information is pretty interesting but catch date 2 is not exactly realistic or "useful."

Yoooink.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales

PS2 Oookuki - Uncountable

Is that good for Misa Suspense?

Top Bottom