• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 6/16 - 6/22

Jammy said:
That's a pretty healthy looking week for Japan. It's good to see three 100,000-plus sellers. And I think this is just a confirmation that DS and Wii to an extent just need some more games, not price drops or new colors, to be able to top the Japan charts again. Nintendo's just taken sort of a backseat approach to them in the past few months. I have a feeling E3 is going to be big, though.

DS could see a second wind. It's seeing great third party support, and some huge first party announcements would be great.

Considering that Nintendo has still not dropped the price, I'd say DS still has a lot of life in it. Isn't the Lite more expensive in Japan than the Fatty launch price?

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
15k is...good?
Well, better than PS3/GCN norm.

PS3 has never had an MGS4-sized bump before so it's hard to compare the hardware changes over the weeks, but here are the weeks before and after the Gundam Musou bump for what it's worth. From Famitsu.

The other major bump was in November of last year, so it leading directly into the holiday bump prevents us from seeing how it would've trended down on its own.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hey Josh- question for you- do you think the 1st day numbers were off this week? I ask because ToS:KoR and Derby Stallion both only gained about 30K from their 1st day numbers. Just wondering if there is another explanation...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
schuelma said:
Hey Josh- question for you- do you think the 1st day numbers were off this week? I ask because ToS:KoR and Derby Stallion both only gained about 30K from their 1st day numbers. Just wondering if there is another explanation...

ToS sold through 90% which would actually indicate a sellout at most locations. I wouldn't necessarily read a lot into this.

schuelma

Stumpokapow said:
Both are pretty frontloaded and ToS soldthrough 90% which would actually indicate a sellout at most locations.

I suppose so. Still doesn't fully explain Derby Stallion IMO..to only get 27K after a 120K opening day for a DS game seems shocking to me.

schuelma said:
I'm good at fiddling with data, but the processes of the first-day versus first-week data is not something I've paid much attention to. It is worth noting that a similar small leap from first-day to first-week sales was talked about for the original Tales of Symphonia earlier in the thread, so maybe either they were both off or both not-off for similar reasons?

schuelma

JoshuaJSlone said:
It is worth noting that a similar small leap from first-day to first-week sales was talked about for the original Tales of Symphonia earlier in the thread, so maybe either they were both off or both not-off for similar reasons?

Yeah, I had the same thought. Next week will be interesting to see the drop.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Vinnk said:
Sorry for no Vinnk's village report this week. I was just too busy. I did visit a few stores though so I will try to write something small up tomorrow. In short, lots of MGS4 on shelves. A few used (but not as many as I thought) and a few used MGS4 bundles. No price collapse on Mario Baseball. ToS seemed to be selling pretty well, but not sold out.

Thanks, Vinnky. ^.^

RpgN

TOS2 had an impressive first day sale, now first week is a little disappointing to be honest. But that could also be due to it being sold out and scamco had a small shipment. Next week will be interesting.

It also looks like MGS4 will sell above 600k. While I find that pretty impressive, I'm not sure if konami is pleased with the sales and perhaps expected more. It might have some legs to reach 700k. First 3 weeks were good and comparable to other MGS games.

Nothing new, but a Garaph-improving thing people with too much free time could help with. Here's a list of all publishers represented in the database, a link to the games credited for them, and a count of how many games are credited to them. There's a lot to be fixed, and there are plenty of obvious duplicates, but in many cases I'm not sure which is the more correct and should remain. Like: Should Arica be Arika, or vice-versa, or are they separate? Marvelous, Marvelous Entertainment, and Marvelous Interactive all seem to be covering the same series, but which should remain? "Princess Soft" with a space, or "PrincessSoft" with CamelCase? What the hell company was intended by the horrible machine translation result ISURISUTAFFU?

Advices here or by PM on any oddities appreciated. Perhaps after the first round of obviousness and advice has been used I can come up with a more specific list of unknowns.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
RpgN said:
It also looks like MGS4 will sell above 600k. While I find that pretty impressive, I'm not sure if konami is pleased with the sales and perhaps expected more. It might have some legs to reach 700k. First 3 weeks were good and comparable to other MGS games.
Depends on if people start buying from the growing used stockpile instead of getting a new copy.

schuelma

RpgN said:

It will get above 600K, but I'd be shocked if it reaches 700K.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JoshuaJSlone said:
Nothing new, but a Garaph-improving thing people with too much free time could help with. Here's a list of all publishers represented in the database, a link to the games credited for them, and a count of how many games are credited to them. There's a lot to be fixed, and there are plenty of obvious duplicates, but in many cases I'm not sure which is the more correct and should remain. Like: Should Arica be Arika, or vice-versa, or are they separate? Marvelous, Marvelous Entertainment, and Marvelous Interactive all seem to be covering the same series, but which should remain? "Princess Soft" with a space, or "PrincessSoft" with CamelCase? What the hell company was intended by the horrible machine translation result ISURISUTAFFU?

Arica is most definitely Arika. (Warning--beginner's Japanese, I don't know shit, correct me if I'm wrong) The only case in which a romanizing Japanese word would use "C" would be as part of "ch<vowel>" (chi, chu, cha, cho). K STN HMY RWN GBPDZFJ are the consonants in use.

Marvelous is "Marvelous Entertainment" up until March of 2003, when it became "Marvelous Interactive". There was some jiggling of holding companies. It might be Marvelous Entertainment again at this point. Your call. It's not "Marvelous" though.

PrincessSoft is your choice. They officially use both two words and medial caps. Princess Soft is probably a better choice IMO because in all of the company logos it appears to be two words.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
JoshuaJSlone said:

Advices here or by PM on any oddities appreciated. Perhaps after the first round of obviousness and advice has been used I can come up with a more specific list of unknowns.
Arica's game is DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou so it's definitely Arika. Marvelous Entertainment is the name you should keep for MMV, MMV would do just fine as well.

Marvelous is "Marvelous Entertainment" up until March of 2003, when it became "Marvelous Interactive". There was some jiggling of holding companies. It might be Marvelous Entertainment again at this point. Your call. It's not "Marvelous" though.
It's all Marvelous Entertainment as of June last year.

sphinx

the piano man
schuelma said:

all jokes aside, if the PS3 has a long lasting life like sony wants it to have, then maybe with the sales of each holiday/"eastern" seasons it could reach much more than that.

specially if the PS3 selection of games remains as thin as it looks like it will be, newcomers won't have much to choose from.

If I was a Japanese waiting for FF13 and bought a console in 2010, MGS4 would be in one of the top spots of my " must-haves" list.

RpgN

Mefisutoferesu said:
&#12452;&#12540;&#12473;&#12522;&#12540;&#12473;&#12479;&#12483;&#12501;

E3 staff/stuff??

No, it means third party companies. When reading it, sure gives you the impression of E3 staff :lol I don't know where they got the reading from and why they came up with it, but that's what it means.

Depends on if people start buying from the growing used stockpile instead of getting a new copy.

Yeah but surely this is going on far longer than this generation and the last. Why would it hurt more than before?

I would be surprised as well, but with a little luck they might.

schuelma

sphinx said:
all jokes aside, if the PS3 has a long lasting life like sony wants it to have, then maybe with the sales of each holiday/"eastern" seasons it could reach much more than that.

specially if the PS3 selection of games remains as thin as it looks like it will be, newcomers won't have much to choose from.

If I was a Japanese waiting for FF13 and bought a console in 2010, MGS4 would be in one of the top spots of my " must-haves" list.

True, but that's where the used market comes in.

RpgN

JoshuaJSlone said:

I didn't see your link. It seems E3 Staff are also a small developers who worked together with Climax to make the game runnerbout 3 new age for the ps2. I suggest putting the game under Climax instead.

donny2112

RpgN said:
It seems E3 Staff are also a small developers who worked together with Climax to make the game runnerbout 3 new age for the ps2. I suggest putting the game under Climax instead.

This game, then?

JoshuaJSlone,
Just some background on what I did for publishers...

I went with the publisher on GameFAQs for the first game listed under a new Japanese publisher name that I didn't already have a translation for. Most of the time this worked fine. It did leave some problems with BPS and Genko getting cross-credited some, but for most of the affected Japanese games, I figured whoever wanted to know what they were would probably be going to GameFAQs to find the game, anyways. This probably lost some subtlties on some games, but as I still have the original Japanese form for most of them, I wasn't too worried about it.

Thanks for posting the data from the retailers board, toypop! :)

pgtl_10

1. Are these sales good for TOS 2?

2. How do sales compare to TOS on GCN?

3. How long does it take Namco to restock their games?

4. Do Tales games have legs?

Frillen

pgtl_10 said:

2. How do sales compare to TOS on GCN?

3. How long does it take Namco to restock their games?

4. Do Tales games have legs?

1. It's good compare to how much they shipped.

2. ToS2 had a weaker opening.

3. I dunno, maybe this week, maybe next, maybe two weeks. Not more than three weeks though.

4. No, Tales games are very front loaded like most RPGs in Japan.

schuelma

pgtl_10 said:

I think so. While its not a true spinoff, it definitely hasn't been pushed as a "mainline" title in the franchise, so if it finishes at 250-275K IMO that would be a genuinely good effort. (especially given the sales of ToI and the likely sales of ToV0

hirokazu

Hmm, Metal Gear is actually holding on a bit. I was expecting it to move out of the top 10 this week. I hope it sticks around in the top 10 for at least one more week.

Top Bottom