• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 8/13 - 8/19

sphinx

the piano man
PS3 - 15,000

Minna no Bump is over I guess. I am convinced the PS3's main and almost only problem is the lack of software. Exactly this week another high profile game should have been released to keep the PS3 selling around 20k-30- per week.

but no, no new game in sight, PS3 goes back to hell...

tsk,tsk sony.

19. NDS Zelda Phantom Hourglass - 14,000 (~760,000)

30. Wii Dragon Quest Swords - 6,700 (~453,000)

stealth legs will make these games reach 1 million and 500k respectively but it will take forever, specially for Zelda. It will take 3 holiday seasons to reach the million, 2009 or even 2010. DQS may pass 500 just after these holidays.

nice overall.

tehbear

sphinx said:
Minna no Bump is over I guess. I am convinced the PS3's main and almost only problem is the lack of software. Exactly this week another high profile game should have been released to keep the PS3 selling around 20k-30- per week.

tsk,tsk sony.

I remember those weeks with zero releases followed by weeks with stellar Japanese-centric titles like Nascar 08. It's abandon Japan time! 60 Gigs diverted to the US!

Ah Sony Japanese sales, the joke that keeps on giving week after week after week...

ziran

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu numbers

DSL - 116,000
Wii - 50,000
PSP - 22,000
PS2 - 16,000
PS3 - 15,000
360 - 2,300

1. NDS Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates - 206,000
2. PS2 Sengoku Musou 2 Mushouden - 176,000
3. NDS Gyakuten Saiban 3 - 65,000
4. Wii Mario Party 8 - 50,000 (~710,000)
5. NDS House Diary - 23,000 (~144,000)

9. PSP Dragoneer's Aria - 20,000
12. NDS Hayate no Gotoku! - 17,000
22. NDS Bikkuriman Daijiten - 12,000
.... NDS Ecolis - 1,700

20. PS3 Minna no Golf 5 - 14,000 (~284,000)
27. NDS Its a Wonderful World - 8,200 (~172,000)
Really, an expected decline in hw after the boosts from the holiday.

PS3 is coming down to normal and could end up around 10K per week again, before the seasonal increases towards the end of the year.

Assuming Wii is abundant, and it certainly appears to be more available than it has been in recent months, I think it's happening at a good time. Strikers is coming in a couple of weeks, then it's into the big 3 for Japan, Wii Fit, SMG and Brawl, all of which could be huge and Nintendo is going to need every Wii unit they can because with this line-up and Wii Sports, they have no chance of keeping up with demand.

It's a shame they weren't able to increase production more, because they could have been well over 6 million in Japan by the end of the year, probably even surpassing 7 million.

I really see Wii Fit as the continuation of a great new future for videogames, and combined with Wii Sports, they're going to be two of the most influential games ever and as important as SMB.

Nice numbers for FFCC. Should manage 400K with relative ease, and even pass 500K. I'm kind of looking forward to the game, the first was decent, but often boring, though multi-player was fun.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu numbers

DSL - 116,000
Wii - 50,000
PSP - 22,000
PS2 - 16,000
PS3 - 15,000
360 - 2,300

1. NDS Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates - 206,000
2. PS2 Sengoku Musou 2 Mushouden - 176,000
3. NDS Gyakuten Saiban 3 - 65,000
4. Wii Mario Party 8 - 50,000 (~710,000)
5. NDS House Diary - 23,000 (~144,000)

9. PSP Dragoneer's Aria - 20,000
12. NDS Hayate no Gotoku! - 17,000
22. NDS Bikkuriman Daijiten - 12,000
.... NDS Ecolis - 1,700

20. PS3 Minna no Golf 5 - 14,000 (~284,000)
27. NDS Its a Wonderful World - 8,200 (~172,000)

Slow week for everyone. Well, can we really say that the DS is selling "slowly" ? I wonder what is Nintendo doing with all that money. I havan't the impression they're developing more games then in the Gamecube's era...

felipeko

sphinx said:

tsk,tsk sony.
You know... if N64 had FFVII may it would've been a different story..

tsk, tsk Nintendo.

Xisiqomelir said:
Is Endless Ocean the Japanese title of Forever Blue?
Vice-versa; Endless Ocean is the title NOA has been using.
You should probably move that into the non-games column.
Yeah, maybe... I listed it as a regular game because it's a followup to PS2 games I don't know much about, and I hadn't heard a lot of whining about it from jilted hardcore gamers.

2008 will serve to define what Nintendo and its third party support are all about for this generation. No more excuses of "late starts" or "unexpected level of consumer interest." With Nintendo's legacy IPs out of the way (e.g. core Zelda, core Mario, core Metroid Prime, core Pokemon), it will give room for Nintendo to create new, refreshing IPs and give third parties a chance to put their best stuff on the system without fears of having their games shadowed by main Nintendo titles. THIRD PARTIES HAVE NO EXCUSE NEXT YEAR.

Busaiku

So it seems GolfBump is almost completely in line with GundaBump.
So whenever a big PS3 game releases, sales increase for about a month or so, until it drops back down to the typical numbers.

sphinx

the piano man
NintendosBooger said:
2008 will serve to define what Nintendo and its third party support are all about for this generation. No more excuses of "late starts" or "unexpected level of consumer interest." With Nintendo's legacy IPs out of the way (e.g. core Zelda, core Mario, core Metroid Prime, core Pokemon), it will give room for Nintendo to create new, refreshing IPs and give third parties a chance to put their best stuff on the system without fears of having their games shadowed by main Nintendo titles. THIRD PARTIES HAVE NO EXCUSE NEXT YEAR.

of course your not considering the possibility that 3rd parties may actually not want to develop for wii because they are not interested in motion sensing controls or limited power consoles or because they hate Iwata or Mario.

felipeko

sphinx said:
of course your not considering the possibility that 3rd parties may actually not want to develop for wii because they are not interested in motion sensing controls or limited power consoles or because they hate Iwata or Mario.
So you think they will leave money on the table.. Nintendo will be happy with that too.

But by looking at all the praising from most publishers/devs this year.. i think they are coming...

youta

sphinx said:
I think this is what the poster actually meant: there really aren't any excuses
left in 2008 unless the 3rd party really does not want to develop for the Wii.

cvxfreak

Wow, even though Capcom sold 20K copies of Gyakuten Saiban 3 on GBA in 2006 (for a total of 65K), people still bought the DS version en masse. For reference, back in October, PW2 debuted at 24K. It's possible PW3's legs won't be as long, but who knows...

Go PW! :D

laserbeam

Banned
Drop in Wii could actually be a sign of diverted consoles. Theres been a HUGE boost in deliveries of Wii consoles this Week in the States in time for Metroid. I saw my very first Wii on the shelves since November 2006.

Interestingly enough they had gotten 30 of them in the night before so the fact only 1 was left says it all

laserbeam said:
Drop in Wii could actually be a sign of diverted consoles. Theres been a HUGE boost in deliveries of Wii consoles this Week in the States in time for Metroid. I saw my very first Wii on the shelves since November 2006.

Interestingly enough they had gotten 30 of them in the night before so the fact only 1 was left says it all
That's so fucking ridiculous. With the time the thing has been on the market, plus everything else....it is so ridiculous to still hear that.

laserbeam

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
That's so fucking ridiculous. With the time the thing has been on the market, plus everything else....it is so ridiculous to still hear that.

I was so shocked wish i had my camera phone with me at the time. its like coming across some super rare albino dinosaur alive and not being able to show it to the world.

Im guessing divertings happened cause even if they only diverted say 15,000 Consoles. thats 30 consoles for 500 stores.

Famitsu Top10 (with numbers for those given in the last page)
1. (NEW) NDS Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates - 206,000
2. (NEW) PS2 Sengoku Musou 2 Mushouden - 176,000
3. (NEW) NDS Gyakuten Saiban 3 - 65,000
4. (1/2) Wii Mario Party 8 - 50,000 (~710,000)
5. (7/20) NDS House Diary - 23,000 (~144,000)
6. (4/4) PS2 J-League Winning Eleven 2007
7. (5/6) Wii Wii Sports
8. (3/5) NDS Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber
9. (NEW) PSP Dragoneer's Aria - 20,000
10. (2/1) NDS D Gundam: G Generation Cross Drive

#5 sold 23k and #20 sold 14k...there will be quite a few discrepancies in games spots with MC I'm sure.

Btw, J-WE 2007 has sold 220k in 3 weeks, thus making it the best selling J-League WE ever that I have data for (and I have for 97, 3, 98-99, 2000, 2000 2nd, 2001, 5, 6, Tactics, 8, 9 and 10). Just to think about that book that said that WE10 was the last WE on PS2...

Busaiku said:
So it seems GolfBump is almost completely in line with GundaBump.
So whenever a big PS3 game releases, sales increase for about a month or so, until it drops back down to the typical numbers.

i don't really think GolfBump is over though. 15k is still well above the weekly sales PS3 was averaging before MNG5 came along, and now sales of all consoles are down due to end of holiday bla bla bla. so if this were a more normal average week, could PS3 sales still be above 20k? Maybe. Anyway, GolfBump seems to have pretty long legs is all i'm saying, either that or people are gearing up for BladeStorm. We'll have to wait and see next week though, for whether bladestorm really has any impact.

sphinx said:

I think that there is a good dosis of reality in what you say... But who wanna not develop game for Wii or DS miss a big opportunity to make money and in this view it's a dumb decision. Iwata-hate or not.

mclem

sphinx said:

Well, the hate option strikes me as just plain petty, and I hope the companies in question aren't really making company-shaking decisions based on such an attitude, but the others are plausible.

Nevertheless, I think there's a more pertinent reason: Comfort zones. There's a number of third party designers for whom making a game with motion control is completely alien territory, and as such, I can understand if they're happier retreating to what they know.

If you feel that you *as a designer* are incapable of coming up with a design worthy of the Wii's advantages, then should you try anyway? Stick with making a reasonably good, servicable game on a setup you understand, or go for a game of unknown quality on a setup you don't, fully?

Ultimately, it *may* prove to be a form of 'adapt or die'.

sphinx

the piano man
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I think that there is a good dosis of reality in what you say...

I would really be amazed if the Wii gathered the ammount of support the PS2 had.

Even if this generation Wii's market share is as high as PS2's last generation, I just don't see it.

The relationships are not there, the philosophy between companies isn't the same. That, coupled with some myths like " Nintendo consoles are for Mario and Zelda, period. " will make sure that the Wii is nowhere near as attractive as the PS2 was for publishers last gen.

moronic, I know but watch them. Watch them leave the money on the table.

sphinx

the piano man
mclem said:
If you feel that you *as a designer* are incapable of coming up with a design worthy of the Wii's advantages, then should you try anyway? Stick with making a reasonably good, servicable game on a setup you understand, or go for a game of unknown quality on a setup you don't, fully?

Ubisoft and EA what tried and failed, we then go on to hate them but they still make money to fund the rest of their projects.

Practice makes the master, maybe red steel 2 will kick all sorts of ass, who knows. My take is that everybody should at least try to experiment with the Wii, precisely because there is money to be made and because they could learn how to handle what could be the standard once the next generation arrives.

better learn now than later, right?

sphinx said:
Ubisoft and EA what tried and failed, we then go on to hate them but they still make money to fund the rest of their projects.

Practice makes the master, maybe red steel 2 will kick all sorts of ass, who knows. My take is that everybody should at least try to experiment with the Wii, precisely because there is money to be made and because they could learn how to handle what could be the standard once the next generation arrives.

better learn now than later, right?
That, and if you toy around with it and come up with some crazy idea...you could make tens or hundreds of millions.

felipeko

mclem said:
If a developer die, or get weak, because of ignoring Wii, others (looking at announced games, Marvelous maybe?) will get stronger.

Sharp

I dunno, from what I can recall the PS2 did not actually have nearly as much big-title Western support as the 360 and PS3 do. Most of that support went to the Xbox and the PC at the time. Even now, it's become pretty clear that Japanese publishers are starting to support the Wii (not that they have any other choice, bar DS), so third party support may come closer to the PS2's than seems likely at this point.

EA will be the first casualty of the Wii takeover and I think they know it. They won't die but they won't be number one anymore. Activision will take their place because of Guitar Hero III.

KINGMOKU

titiklabingapat said:
EA will be the first casualty of the Wii takeover and I think they know it. They won't die but they won't be number one anymore. Activision will take their place because of Guitar Hero III.
I feel like a friggin prophet, I swear.

Vinnk

Yeah GS3 was a budget priced title. I paid 3150 yen (about $26). I bought 3 copies. ! for me, one for the future wife (she's a big fan) and one for a friend in the states who can't wait.

As for Wii supplies it's kinda weird lately. You used to never see them at all but now some days there are several and some days there are none. I think they are still selling out, but it seels so not be "selling out instantly" like it used to be.

Top Bottom