• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 9/24 - 9/30 2007: Halo on top!

apujanata

ccbfan said:
At this point all the new consoles are shit. Like I've mentioned many time just because the PS3 is shit doesn't mean 3rd parties would settle for a nicer smelling shit like the Wii. There are other options.

PS2 and DS is where they can go. PS2 have already show signs that it can last till 2010. (Sure the hardware sales are going to be weak but thats called market saturation) DS has shown they can command software sales on par with any consoles. At least Wii and PSP can get the PS2 ports though. PS3 is dead up a creek.

And the fact that the new PS3, Europe version, even though they have lower price, but have removed their PS2 H/W Backward Compatibility, is a step in the wrong direction. Do you think the new PS3 type will appear in Japan ? If yes, do you think that it will negatively affect PS3 sales (lower the H/W sales) ?

I know that there could probably S/W BC for PS3 in the future, but most people may not be aware of it. I am even considering to buy the 60GB PS3 with EE (H/W BC) NOW, just to made sure I can still play my PS2 game inside PS3 (I have loads of PS2 game I want to play, and I do not want to have more than 2 console (currently it is PS2 and Wii) attached to my TV. Once, I bought PS3, I plan to retire (not sell) my PS2.

Thats the norm these days unfortunately. It takes even less for the PSP/PS3 to be "doomed" - give it a week at most. If the PS3/PSP is doing unbelievably great youll get "hm, what a slow week. Things should get back to normal next week. And even when it does great that next week too, hm a huge drop in PS sales, yeah, next week for sure!" And if the PSP/PS3 are doing bad, its doomed as well. So doomed either way for many good folks here

Nintendo fanboys has taken that "treatment" for the last 5 (or even 10) years. It is time for Sony fanboys to get the "treatment" they have always given to Nintendo fanboys.

Rock_Man

These numbers are all from Media Create. Software numbers are from the weekly top 100 chart.

mc-hw-sw.png

The time period of last year contains the releases of two huge sellers, New SMB and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. The absence of multi million sellers in 2007 hasn't affected total software sales much though, and hardware sales are up thanks to Wii.

Summing up the numbers from the graph we get,

Hardware
2006 - 6,287,996
2007 - 7,180,305

Software
2006 - 27,841,858
2007 - 26,907,349

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AniHawk said:
How much longer until Sony retakes Japan and everything returns to normal?

It always gets me until I see the username.

reilo

AniHawk said:
Ramirez is there as a warning now, too.

It needs like a huge exclamation point. Or the admins should figure out a way to allow you to post in your very own font and color.

reilo

marvelharvey said:
for underline
for italics
for bold
[a] for anihawk

Yea, but only ani should have to be allowed to use it. The [a] for ani code can be easily written in a couple of minutes under VB's Custom BB Codes section, but it's just giving him permission to use it that's a bit tricky.

You know the old saying " The Calm Before The Storm"

I think Nintendo nailed this one.

With Smash brothers, Wii fit and Mario on the way.. there's definitely a storm brewin

apujanata said:
Joshua,
I got error message

when I tried to access the URL you provided : http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/

Any way I can access this url ?
I don't know what's up with that. I merely found it by checking out the common part of their generic top 30 link (http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/top30/) and hardware link (http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/hard/). Maybe since it's incredibly out of date they decided to prevent access when they noticed people actually using it? *shrug* The links to the individual top 30 lists still work, though, and I've got links to them here.

Parl

edwardslane said:
You know the old saying " The Calm Before The Storm"

I think Nintendo nailed this one.

With Smash brothers, Wii fit and Mario on the way.. there's definitely a storm brewin

Nintendo are hoping you're right. They're failing to double PS3 sales. They should be ashamed.

creamsugar

Famitsu

DSL 77000
PSP 85000
PS2 12000
PS3 11000
Wii 21000
360 3100

1.DBZ-PS2 162000
2.Gバトクロ 87000
3.ASH 58000
4.Pokemon Dungeon 55000(913000)
5.MLB-PS2 43000

新作
6.DBZ-Wii 35000
24.ギタフリV3 7900
27.MLB-Wii 6800
外.サイバーフォーミュラ 6400

その他
7.CCFF7 27000(691000)
8.MPO+ 23000(153000)
12.家計 11000(232000)
14.MP8 10000(845000)
15.マリスト 10000(63000)
22.Halo3 8400(70000)
23.オブリ 8300(31000)

Ha ha, looks like PSP still maintains top spot.

DBZ Wii sales are awful. ASH didn't really pick up, and would struggle to hit 100k. :/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Magicpaint said:
DBZ Wii sales are awful.

They're around the same as DBZ BT2 Wii sales. Yes, the userbase has grown but you also no longer have the launch factor. Certainly not encouraging that the userbase is staying on the PS2 rather than migrating, but also not megabomba.

Also, looks like Crisis Core is going to die around 800k-850k.

Top 10 Famitsu 10/01-10/07 2007

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1211101_1124.html

1. Dragon Ball Z Sparking! METEOR (PS2) New
2. Gundam Battle Chronicle (PSP) New
3. Archaic Sealed Heat (ASH) (DS) New
4. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (DS)
5. Powerful Pro Major League 2 (PS2) New
6. Dragon Ball Z Sparking! METEOR (Wii) New
7. Crisis Core FF7 (PSP)
8. Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops + (PSP)
9. Kanken DS 2 (DS)
10. Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop 2 (DS)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Stumpokapow said:
They're around the same as DBZ BT2 Wii sales. Yes, the userbase has grown but you also no longer have the launch factor. Certainly not encouraging that the userbase is staying on the PS2 rather than migrating, but also not megabomba.

Also, looks like Crisis Core is going to die around 800k-850k.

disagree with that... it'll have a nice holiday boost right past the million mark.

goompapa

jj984jj said:
ASH only went from 40k to 58k. ;_;

Dragon Ball went from 30k to 35k ;_;

Aargh, this sucks for the wii. What incentive do developpers have to make wii the premium platform for a game when its ps2 counterpart keeps outselling it 5, 6 to 1 ?

Culex

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
wow, domestic consoles boo-boom, both hard and soft wise.

Namdai 5/10 dominance in top10 but only Gundam did good :/

We're in the dull drums of software sales right now, until all the major titles get released.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Jonnyram said:
Well, I guess PSP's reign was sweet, but next week things will be back to normal.

Amputation successful.
No real surprises, unfortunately. At the very most the PSP boost-machine would last a month. FFVII: CC will be lucky to hit 1M.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
You guys think that the Wii is going to change the whole "only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo platforms" thing? Anyway glad to see PSP is still going pretty strong HW and SW wise.

Kenka

creamsugar said:
3.ASH 58000
6.DBZ-Wii 35000

>< That's not definitely not great. What happenned ? Namco and Mistwalker f**ked up their propaganda ?

Still, it's not the end of the world.

Jokeropia

RamzaIsCool said:
You guys think that the Wii is going to change the whole "only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo platforms" thing? Anyway glad to see PSP is still going pretty strong HW and SW wise.
Best selling Wii third party game has sold more than the best selling PS3 game period. (Same with DS vs. PSP.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RamzaIsCool said:

The DS changed it. Four third party million sellers, and massive overall success for Square Enix, some of Namco's offerings, and tons of smaller companies like Atlus and Rocket Company. Level 5 has obviously had a huge boost. Capcom has been doing great both in terms of sequelitis franchises like Mega Man and new franchises like GS.

Hell, even EA has had a limited degree of success; the DS's possibilities for third parties have been so good that a Western-only company has managed to breach the Japanese market.

The only mega-bombs I can think of on the DS from third parties are Heroes of Mana and Tales of the Tempest; the former, while a bomba, did markedly better than Mana 4 so it seems likely that it's more of a franchise decline--the latter was an outsourced piece of shit that deserved to fail.

In other words, for the statement "only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo platforms" to be true for the DS, you'd have to name a third party flop that flopped for some reason other than being an utter piece of shit.

Frillen

M-create might actually have the DS higher than the PSP consider that last week the PSP sold 127k according to Famtsu but "only" 102k according to m-create. It should be a close battle.

ollin

Anyone in Japan want to comment if the new PSP model is supply constrained. Amazon Japan seems to get some in stock once a week and it gets sold out pretty quickly.

Magicpaint said:
Ha ha, looks like PSP still maintains top spot.

DBZ Wii sales are awful. ASH didn't really pick up, and would struggle to hit 100k. :/

Remember that last week the difference between early numbers and real numbers were 30k for PSP. So, I don't know if DS < PSP.

Frillen

ollin said:
Anyone in Japan want to comment if the new PSP model is supply constrained. Amazon Japan seems to get some in stock once a week and it gets sold out pretty quickly.

According several sites, it's not. It's very easy to find.

ccbfan

Wow these numbers suck for console gaming in Japan.

I really hope SMG and Brawl will improve the traditional games market of the Wii cause with the way its going for the Wii and PS3. It looks like PS2 is still the main game machine while Wii is the quirky side device.

People like to compare PS3 and Wii but what Wii fans really have to look out for is PS2. Remember there very little difference in the graphics of PS2 and Wii. PS2 is also cheaper to develop than Wii. Sure Wii will get PS2 ports but all of them will be PS2 bases meaning instead of 2 gamecubes duct taped together, the Wii will be one gamecube with some hardware problems. If the market continues to stay the way it is there is no reason for third parties to move beyond the PS2.

Honestly if Brawl and SMG does not improve third party software sales (They not only have to sell well but also make other games sell well), we're looking at a PS2 and DS future with a side of PSP and Wii ports in Japan.

Also any one notice the Wii hardware sales?

Looks liker under 20K for media create.

zeroshiki

ollin said:

It doesn't mean anything but it was sold out in the Yodobashis in Shinjuku and Akihabara last weekend.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
So where are CCFFVII and FFIII DS at after their respective amount of weeks?
Yeah, but wasn't FFIII impossible to find the second week, and DS carts don't have such a quick production time.

Disappointing sales for Ash and DBZ, allthough I predicted DBZ would sell less on Wii (smaller userbase, fanbase still on PS2, online not a big selling point in Japan, BC could be selling point for PS2 version), I wouldn't have expected to be so significantly less.

And Ash...well Mistwalker seems to be in trouble. I don't think LO will be a huge hit either.

Phife Dawg said:
And Ash...well Mistwalker seems to be in trouble. I don't think LO will be a huge hit either.

Well... define "in trouble." I don't think the bankroll of hardware makers interested in having the Gooch onboard their systems has run out yet, nor do I expect any drastic action like cancelling their other two DS games in production. That said, they are probably going to want to have an actual hit at some point very soon, yes. :/

At this point I do think we're starting to look at a possible story, though: new IPs aimed at hardcore gamers aren't succeeding. ASH is actually putting up pretty much the exact same performance as IAWW: retailers being forced to price collapse after their assumed sales (which are not particularly high in the first place) are massively undercut.

Since Japan doesn't seem to have an agreed-upon and relatively successful "hardcore" platform (like X360 in the US) where new IPs are being rewarded with consistent sales, I'm not too excited about the prospects for more innovative new series. (And I guess, given that Mistwalker's portfolio is by definition all new IPs, they're not in great shape here either....)

EDIT: I expect LO to do better than ASH.

charlequin said:
Well... define "in trouble." I don't think the bankroll of hardware makers interested in having the Gooch onboard their systems has run out yet, nor do I expect any drastic action like cancelling their other two DS games in production. That said, they are probably going to want to have an actual hit at some point very soon, yes. :/

At this point I do think we're starting to look at a possible story, though: new IPs aimed at hardcore gamers aren't succeeding. ASH is actually putting up pretty much the exact same performance as IAWW: retailers being forced to price collapse after their assumed sales (which are not particularly high in the first place) are massively undercut.

Since Japan doesn't seem to have an agreed-upon and relatively successful "hardcore" platform (like X360 in the US) where new IPs are being rewarded with consistent sales, I'm not too excited about the prospects for more innovative new series. (And I guess, given that Mistwalker's portfolio is by definition all new IPs, they're not in great shape here either....)

EDIT: I expect LO to do better than ASH.
I haven't played it but from various impressions Ash is not without problems (controls, gfx). I think that could've hurt it's sales, that and not hyping the thing up. That may work for games with a broader appeal but a rather niche game like Ash, which will likely be pretty frontloaded can only suffer.

I expect LO to do better than Ash as well, I don't think it'll top BD but it'll come reasonably close. If the trend continues though I don't think too many hardware makers will be inclined to shell out big bucks anymore.

Top Bottom