• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 9/24 - 9/30 2007: Halo on top!

alske said:
I don't see why Wii's situation is so unexpected... Nintendo said they where going after the demographic that doesn't play traditional games. They nailed it. Why are people surprised that traditional games aren't selling well on Wii?

That's not so false after all, BUT remember that people expected a behaviour similar to the Nintendo DS. And the DS's best selling games are not only non-games: Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros., Final Fantasy III, Pokémon. Isn't this a contradiction ?

I'm almost sure that the combo Galaxy + Smash will sell a lot of Wiis to the hardcore.

alske said:
I don't see why Wii's situation is so unexpected... Nintendo said they where going after the demographic that doesn't play traditional games. They nailed it. Why are people surprised that traditional games aren't selling well on Wii?
They said they were going for an expanded audience, not leaving the one that was already there.
TwinIonEngines said:
It really depends on the metric, but leprosy is a good candidate.
I'm going with Captain Trips.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
That's not so false after all, BUT remember that people expected a behaviour similar to the Nintendo DS. And the DS's best selling games are not only non-games: Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros., Final Fantasy III, Pokémon. Isn't this a contradiction ?

The obvious point of distinction that comes to mind for me is that the DS is in many ways what people expected as a followup to GBA anyway. It combined the GBA market (which was already used to playing RPGs, platformers, puzzlers, and and other easily bite-sizeable games on the go) with a broadened market of lapsed gamers, handheld agnostics, and new blood. The hardcore crowd buying into DS was already primed to play games in the genres that made the NES a hit and which are proven to be good transitional games for non-gamers.

The Wii is definitely somewhat successful in tapping into the DS' blue ocean market and is also definitely picking up some portion of the hardcore audience, but it doesn't seem like it's found a way to synthesize them yet. I'm not sure whether focusing on the same genres that are succeeding on DS would help, mostly because I'm still really unclear what happened to the previously popular hardcore console genre stuff in Japan.

I'm almost sure that the combo Galaxy + Smash will sell a lot of Wiis to the hardcore.

The question is really which hardcore. Are there really that many people who skipped SMS, but will buy SMG, and also count as "hardcore gamers" who also buy titles in "hardcore" genres? Or is it going to sell to a split core-N-gamer/lapsed-or-non-gamer market?

Link

The Autumn Wind
sphinx said:
Nintendo overestimated the power of Wii sports. They thought the hype and excitment for the wii and wii sports would directly connect with the holiday season but no... The Japanese really felt like there was a drought this last 2 months and Mario Strikers obviously didn't cut it.

Bad planning from Nintendo, now they pay.
They probably thought third parties would be putting at least some kind of effort in and would have released a few more halfway decent games by this point.

Stupid Nintendo.

tanod

when is my burrito
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
It is difficult to imagine something worse then cancer, you know.

I don't know what you guys are talking about I would imagine that having HIV would be much worse than cancer. :(

Chumly

Segata Sanshiro said:
Wow. If NiGHTS only sells 30k, you can pretty much count on SEGA withdrawing any kind of serious support from the Wii, I can tell you that much. 200k for a Mysterious Dungeon game would be pretty bad, too. UC selling 300k would probably be...at the bottom end of expectations for Capcom.

See the problem here is you're just looking at it from your expectations/perceptions. SEGA, SE, and Capcom would not be satisfied with the type of expectations you're putting forth, and their expectations are the ones that count for future support.
As for NiGHTS I said 30k because sonic sells like crap in Japan now. 20-30K I believe. I now realize it did really well back in the day but sonic did fairly well back in the day also. I just dont see sega selling anything well in Japan. I think it will actually do MUCH better in the US/UK but well see.

Isn't 200k-300k what the DS mysterious dungeon games did? I think SE would be happy with that (Correct me if im wrong but i dont believe im to far off).

As for Capcom as people already pointed out they expect to sell 620k RE:UC worldwide so I think 300k in Japan would be awesome because they could easily get by 620k then with the US/Europe.

Jokeropia

The current slump in Japanese Wii sales isn't such a problem for Nintendo since continued high level sales would only have meant a much smaller increase in shipments for the holiday season.

tanod said:
I don't know what you guys are talking about I would imagine that having HIV would be much worse than cancer. :(
Very OT, but properly medicated and treated, HIV victims can live a completely full life. Cancer victims are sort of doomed. AIDS sufferers might be in a worse situation I guess?

Chumly said:
As for NiGHTS I said 30k because sonic sells like crap in Japan now. 20-30K I believe.

That's a completely different situation. Sonic has been milked, buttered, and cheesed to hell and back. Nights is a completely separate franchise that (Sega is surely hoping) has a lot of people looking forward to more of its unique gameplay and which hasn't developed a newfound reputation for shittiness.

As for Capcom as people already pointed out they expect to sell 620k RE:UC worldwide so I think 300k in Japan would be awesome because they could easily get by 620k then with the US/Europe.

I agree with this. If 620k is really Capcom's worldwide expectations for RE:UC then their Japan-only target is probably a little lower than 300k -- 250 maybe?

noonche

Jokeropia said:
PS2 was released in Japan on March 4th, 2000. That's 10 full months before 2001, which is pretty much exactly what the Wii has had to date.
Just look at games in the sales list. Ridge Racer, Tekken and Dynasty Warriors main series are all bigger franchises than every third party Wii game except for DQ:S. (Which is about the same level.)

Point taken on RR and Tekken. Dynasty Warriors was a new series then, as where many of PS2's early high sellers. Is there somewhere that has more early PS2 numbers? The Magic Box's old charts are down, and I can't find an archieve on famitsu's website.

Xeke

Banned
After reading the last few pages I really find the selective quote responses interesting. The people arguing on one side (Segata, ethelred) seem to not want to respond to any of Joshua's posts, even though they are by far the most well put together posts in refuting parts of their argument.

Xeke said:
After reading the last few pages I really find the selective quote responses interesting. The people arguing on one side (Segata, ethelred) seem to not want to respond to any of Joshua's posts, even though they are by far the most well put together posts in refuting parts of their argument.
Sorry, I got distracted by a far more dangerous hornet's nest. I'll respond to Joshua probably later on, when I'm at home and have access to my own PC.

Xeke

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Sorry, I got distracted by a far more dangerous hornet's nest. I'll respond to Joshua probably later on, when I'm at home and have access to my own PC.

Understandable. I just feel like if you're gonna argue this point it should at least be with somebody who knows what they are talking about.:lol

And I remember his PS2 vs Wii first year game comparison chart. They looked pretty much the same, sales wise. So I'm not really sure either way.

Chumly

charlequin said:
That's a completely different situation. Sonic has been milked, buttered, and cheesed to hell and back. Nights is a completely separate franchise that (Sega is surely hoping) has a lot of people looking forward to more of its unique gameplay and which hasn't developed a newfound reputation for shittiness.

I fully expect NiGHTS to bomb in the eyes of Sega. I guess I never meant to say that Sega should expect to sell that much because there gonna have obiously higher expectations but I just dont see it selling very much at all.

Well, I can't post threads yet so if someone else wants to take this, be my guest.

According to the November 2007 issue # 76 of the Official Xbox Magazine Sony has secured the next Grand Theft Auto, which would be number 7 in the series, to be a true exclusive to the Playstation 3.

"Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of the Cell and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that" as said by Sony's Michael Shorrock in a statement to the press. " We handed Rockstar a signed blank check because we were short sighted enough to let Grand Theft Auto's exclusivity get away from us. Oops!"

Looks like the Xbox fans may be out of luck when it come to the next installment of Grand Theft Auto. If they do release a 360 version it sounds like it would have to be on multiple dvd discs if the game truly takes advantage of Blu-ray.

One thing is for sure. This will be interesting to watch play out. Stay tuned!

Source

First of all, does anyone have the issue of the magazine? To help confirm that it's in there?

Second of all. A blank check are they serious?

:lol

Eteric Rice

The Wii really doesn't give hardcore gamers a good reason to buy it quite yet, though those reasons are coming up.

From what I understand, normal games are doing fine on the Wii (minus Madden).

Chumly said:
I fully expect NiGHTS to bomb in the eyes of Sega. I guess I never meant to say that Sega should expect to sell that much because there gonna have obiously higher expectations but I just dont see it selling very much at all.

It would likely bomb on just about any system. NiGHTS isn't exactly the kind of franchise people want this day and age. Though, I might pick it up. :)

noonche

JoshuaJSlone said:
They said they were going for an expanded audience, not leaving the one that was already there.

I'm going with Captain Trips.

I guess my point boils down to: I don't think they've hit that expanded audience yet. I think they have a good chance of doing it this holiday season, but as it stands right now Wii is successful with the casual audience and little else.

Edit: I'm also not sure that I believe them when they say they aren't leaving the hardcore behind, but that's hardly a sales-age topic.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Chumly said:

RE:UC will never ever sell 300k in Japan alone.
It can in the US and it probably will, the same in Europe if properly advertised and with a bump thanks to Zapper+Link's Crossbow, but I'd consider it a big success for Capcom to sell in the range of 170/200k in Japan.

ethelred

Xeke said:

Posting from a cell phone, man, cut me some slack. Also, if I wanted to have a debate with a serious person like Joshy I sure wouldn't be doing it in one of these joke threads.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
It's all bullshit but yeah, this is why junior members can't make threads.

It's a rumour, and I would have posted it as one. Not like the the thread title is now. Since when have rumours not been discussed here?

JoshuaJSlone said:
Doing the math now with the linked-to Dalthien numbers.

PS3 third party titles listed: 26
PS3 third party sales total: 1,209,215
PS3 third party sales average: 46,508

Wii third party titles listed: 43
Wii third party sales total: 1,934,983
Wii third party sales average: 45,000

It does help the PS3 average that there are 40% fewer third party games competing for the sales. But being the best-selling Wii third-party game gives you much better numbers than being the best-selling PS3 third-party game (453K to 278K). Being the tenth best-selling Wii third-party game gives you much better numbers than being the tenth best-selling PS3 third-party game (63K to 35K). Being the twentieth best-selling Wii third-party game gives you much better numbers than being the twentieth best-selling PS3 third-party game (25K to 10K). There appears to only be one exception: currently the third best-selling PS3 third-party game is above the third best-selling Wii third-party game (105K to 134K).

20071005wiips3thirdparty.png

I think an awful lot of those must've been thanks to the 2000 holiday bump. The last time I patched together PS2 sales by top 30s was its week 40 (Wii is now at 44; PS3 is now at 47), and it had only seven titles over 250K at that time. Possibly eight, if one of them managed about 12K more after disappearing from the top 30 list.

Greatest to least:
Ridge Racer V
Gekikuukan Pro Baseball: At the End of the Century 1999
Tekken TAG TOURNAMENT
Kessen
Dead or Alive 2
Jikkyou Powerful Pro baseball 7
Shin Sangoku Musou

and maybe:
FIFA Soccer World Championship

Quoted to keep this on the page. Thanks for the facts, and excellent post.

I think it's hard to do a fair PS2 vs. Wii comparison because of the staggered launches (and therefore holidays / lulls). They're likely to keep leapfrogging each other's performance. But I don't think the Wii is doing badly in comparison, especially considering that the PS2 was the horse to bet on, while the Wii was the long shot, from publishers' point of view.

alske said:
Point taken on RR and Tekken. Dynasty Warriors was a new series then, as where many of PS2's early high sellers. Is there somewhere that has more early PS2 numbers? The Magic Box's old charts are down, and I can't find an archieve on famitsu's website.
When I want to see such numbers "as they happened", this site has the top 30 of most weeks in 2000 and a few years in either direction.

It also has some things like Famitsu's Top 100 list for 2000... which I guess would solve the question of how many PS2 games were above 250K in its first year. Looks to be 8 after all; FIFA made it over the hump.

Even straighter from the horse's mouth, here are the oldest lists I know of that are actually on Famitsu.com, but it starts several months after PS2 launch.
Leondexter said:
I think it's hard to do a fair PS2 vs. Wii comparison because of the staggered launches (and therefore holidays / lulls). They're likely to keep leapfrogging each other's performance.
Yeah, they really split a set of things that can tilt the numbers in their direction.

PS2 launching only in Japan there was a bigger supply right at launch... but by now Wii is ahead, so they've both had a period of hardware advantage.

Wii was the first to have a holiday season (that's when it launched), but PS2 was the first to have one with a multi-million userbase already installed and ready to buy games.

noonche

JoshuaJSlone said:
When I want to see such numbers "as they happened", this site has the top 30 of most weeks in 2000 and a few years in either direction.

It also has some things like Famitsu's Top 100 list for 2000... which I guess would solve the question of how many PS2 games were above 250K in its first year. Looks to be 8 after all; FIFA made it over the hump.

Even straighter from the horse's mouth, here are the oldest lists I know of that are actually on Famitsu.com, but it starts several months after PS2 launch.

Yeah, they really split a set of things that can tilt the numbers in their direction.

PS2 launching only in Japan there was a bigger supply right at launch... but by now Wii is ahead, so they've both had a period of hardware advantage.

Wii was the first to have a holiday season (that's when it launched), but PS2 was the first to have one with a multi-million userbase already installed and ready to buy games.

Has anyone tried looking at the first-year PS2 games that failed poorly? It'd be interesting to take a list of notable titles in the first year and see which ones failed to chart well.

Edit: Actually, you can get a list of titles from SCEI's webpage. Looks like there where 134 titles released for PS2 from 3/4/2000 ~ 12/31/2000. Maybe if I get bored I'll compare them with the charts you posted using a spread sheet or something..

cvxfreak

Dash Kappei said:
RE:UC will never ever sell 300k in Japan alone.
It can in the US and it probably will, the same in Europe if properly advertised and with a bump thanks to Zapper+Link's Crossbow, but I'd consider it a big success for Capcom to sell in the range of 170/200k in Japan.

I don't know... not going to say it's definite, but the original Gun Survivor sold almost 300K (267K). I'd say Umbrella Chronicles has a chance to beat it.

ksamedi

It's so obvious that RE UC will pass the million mark, Capcom is just conservative with there estimates. Its Resident evil, It has something for casual gamers and hardcore RE fans and is going to be marketed with the Zapper. It will also fall in the holdiday season in all regions.

Fady K

Jonnyram said:
Well, this is how I see it... the PS3 is a slick piece of kit. In terms of hardware, it beats the competition hands down. I have also grown to love the UI, the silent running, and a bunch of other cool features like the animated clips you can make yourself. However, in terms of games, it's severely lacking, and this year's holiday lineup is truly abysmal. I'm being generous by including October and November in that list. If you compare December only, the PS3 looks to be in a steaming pile of trouble.

The holiday lineup is rather impressive to me with Ratchet, Uncharted, and whatnot. But I understand if you're referring to the Japanese market. I think Sony did a really bad job at first but things should be improving for the Japanese market soon I believe. This year there are still a few big games coming out for Japan like the latest Winning Eleven and Dynasty Warriors 6. So in the end its probably during the first quarter of '08 where the PS3will have a good position in Japan im guessing. When the X360 first came out for instance, I found very few titles of interest, but a year and a half later its doing a lot better. We'll have to wait and see.

pswii60 said:
Well said, well said. Your speak is full of truth and win.
Few predicted Wii. Few predicted DS.

Thanks man

OldJadedGamer said:
So the Wii and DS together couldn't even match PSP sales. Wow, never thought I would write that sentence.

:lol I never thought id see that sentence myself.

jj984jj said:

Not interesting for people who only love Nintendo maybe. This has been one of the most interesting weeks in a long time in my opinion. Not one Wii game in the top 10 with half of it containing Playstation-brand games and the no 1 title being an Xbox 360 FPS - FPS man, this is one hell of an interesting week :D

Laguna said:
First Day Sales:

Dragon Ball Z Sparking! METEOR (PS2) : about 110k

Dragon Ball Z Sparking! METEOR (Wii) : about 30k

Powerful Pro Major League 2 (PS2, Wii) : about 25k

Gundam Battle Chronicle (PSP) : about 50k

ARCHAIC SEALED HEAT (ASH) (DS) : about 40k

Source : http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

I didnt expect Dragonball Z on the Wii at 30 k for first day. Whats going on here? I expected ASH sales to be higher :( and Gundam Battle Chronicle to be lower.

ethelred said:
Bleh. ASH's sales are so disappointing. The game deserved to do better, but it was marketed horribly. Releasing the first footage of the game a week before its release was such a disastrous idea.

I dont know what Mistwalker was thinking either. And I have been dying to find footage for a while!

duckroll said:
Good thing AQi announced the two DS Mistwalker RPGs before ASH was released. Now they can't cancel them!

:lol:lol:lol

ethelred said:
Better than Suikoden 5 and Etrian Odyssey; worse than Baten Kaitos 2 and Blue Dragon.

Oddly enough for me, I liked Suiko V and Etrian Odyssey more than Blue Dragon and Baten Kaitos 2 :lol

ethelred said:
Going by all the sales we have available in Dalthien's thread, the Wii actually lags behind the PS3 in average third party sales. Do you know how fucking bad they have to be to accomplish that feat given how much of an upward pull DQS is exerting? The Wii third party median is also worse than the PS3's.

Wow.

I did not know that :/

Laguna said:
This thread is pretty telling. It just needs a few weeks of mediocre Nintendo system/software sales (I know that PkmMD2 is nearing 1million but "that doesn´t count") and you see people once again declairing Nintendo systems as doomed.

Thats the norm these days unfortunately. It takes even less for the PSP/PS3 to be "doomed" - give it a week at most. If the PS3/PSP is doing unbelievably great youll get "hm, what a slow week. Things should get back to normal next week. And even when it does great that next week too, hm a huge drop in PS sales, yeah, next week for sure!" And if the PSP/PS3 are doing bad, its doomed as well. So doomed either way for many good folks here :lol

cvxfreak said:
I don't know... not going to say it's definite, but the original Gun Survivor sold almost 300K (267K). I'd say Umbrella Chronicles has a chance to beat it.

Id think so too. Also, RE UC isn't much of a spinoff like the first GS, this one covers up some pretty interesting stuff about Wesker and the previous installments. I expect this to beat GS in its first week easily.

Brofist

Looks up..What happened here, I see a small circle jerk and some people thinking they can speak Japanese :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Fady K said:
Not interesting for people who only love Nintendo maybe. This has been one of the most interesting weeks in a long time in my opinion. Not one Wii game in the top 10 with half of it containing Playstation-brand games and the no 1 title being an Xbox 360 FPS - FPS man, this is one hell of an interesting week :D
Ummm... okay, not sure why you responded to me but I still have to ask, did you miss the last 2 weeks of Media Create?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Datschge said:
Fady K just randomly appears to make a huge wall of replies nobody cares for.

If you really want some fun, casually slip in something like "Media Create threads are more boring than Xenosaga 3" and watch the fireworks.

Datschge

Stumpokapow said:
If you really want some fun, casually slip in something like "the Xenosaga series is more boring than Media Create threads" and watch the fireworks.
Didn't you mean that?

Fady K

jj984jj said:
Ummm... okay, not sure why you responded to me but I still have to ask, did you miss the last 2 weeks of Media Create?

No, Ive seen them. I just responded to give an opinion about how I found the sales interesting this week.

Datschge said:
Fady K just randomly appears to make a huge wall of replies nobody cares for.

Why should they care :lol?

Stumpokapow said:
If you really want some fun, casually slip in something like "Media Create threads are more boring than Xenosaga 3" and watch the fireworks.

You'll be seeing the same kind of fireworks out of me that Sony popped in Liepzig :D You can even go on and make threads about "Xenosaga 3 is worse than Lair/Super Rub a Dub/ even and watch me give a shit :D

Lobster

Banned

Joshua won the thread with this chart..its a shame it got ignored.

You could argue 3rd party sales on Wii are shit but its obviously shitter on the Ps3.

ccbfan

Lobster said:

Joshua won the thread with this chart..its a shame it got ignored.

You could argue 3rd party sales on Wii are shit but its obviously shitter on the Ps3.

At this point all the new consoles are shit. Like I've mentioned many time just because the PS3 is shit doesn't mean 3rd parties would settle for a nicer smelling shit like the Wii. There are other options.

PS2 and DS is where they can go. PS2 have already show signs that it can last till 2010. (Sure the hardware sales are going to be weak but thats called market saturation) DS has shown they can command software sales on par with any consoles. At least Wii and PSP can get the PS2 ports though. PS3 is dead up a creek.

Dalthien

JoshuaJSlone said:
Doing the math now with the linked-to Dalthien numbers.

PS3 third party titles listed: 26
PS3 third party sales total: 1,209,215
PS3 third party sales average: 46,508

Wii third party titles listed: 43
Wii third party sales total: 1,934,983
Wii third party sales average: 45,000

It does help the PS3 average that there are 40% fewer third party games competing for the sales. But being the best-selling Wii third-party game gives you much better numbers than being the best-selling PS3 third-party game (453K to 278K). Being the tenth best-selling Wii third-party game gives you much better numbers than being the tenth best-selling PS3 third-party game (63K to 35K). Being the twentieth best-selling Wii third-party game gives you much better numbers than being the twentieth best-selling PS3 third-party game (25K to 10K). There appears to only be one exception: currently the third best-selling PS3 third-party game is above the third best-selling Wii third-party game (105K to 134K).

Wow. Nice analysis JJSlone.

I know this is OP but i dont have thread making powers so here it is:

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6180457.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;1

Full sales details can be found below.

Nintendo DS
2007 Q3 sales: 139,483
Total install base: 730,076

PlayStation 2
2007 Q3 sales: 66,228
Total install base: 2,118,646

Nintendo Wii
2007 Q3 sales: 61,027
Total install base: 167,899

Xbox 360
2007 Q3 sales: 40,467
Total install base: 222,136

PlayStation Portable
2007 Q3 sales: 28,374
Total install base: 317,442

PlayStation 3
2007 Q3 sales: 27,533
Total install base: 82,261

Lobster

Banned
artredis1980 said:
I know this is OP but i dont have thread making powers so here it is:

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6180457.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;1

Full sales details can be found below.

Nintendo DS
2007 Q3 sales: 139,483
Total install base: 730,076

PlayStation 2
2007 Q3 sales: 66,228
Total install base: 2,118,646

Nintendo Wii
2007 Q3 sales: 61,027
Total install base: 167,899

Xbox 360
2007 Q3 sales: 40,467