• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 24-30, 2009

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
donny2112 said:
08./00. [NDS] You'll Incur Losses if You Remain Ignorant: How Money and Things Work DS (Nintendo) - 21,000 / NEW

Should have been on an HD console

(*dons protective headgear and scampers for nearest exit*)

sphinx

the piano man
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Reminds me of the PS3 launch lines. Doesn't look like all that much excitment :|

people are making lines to buy the thing, where do you people see the lack of excitement?

sphinx said:
people are making lines to buy the thing, where do you people see the lack of excitement?
I think it's the redundant/unused queue-ropes. Reminds me of the PS3 France launch. Whatever the real situation, this ain't no new DS model launch.

Tenbatsu

Wii next 3rd Party Million seller?
23w8hmo.jpg

Jonnyram

sphinx said:
The Famitsu article said at 9:20 (opening time), there were 30 people in line. This (Yodobashi Akiba) is now the main store for hardware launches in all of Tokyo, I believe.

sphinx

the piano man
cvxfreak said:
So, is there a way for DQX sales NOT to disappoint? DQIX is setting quite a high bar.

I think SE went ahead of themselves in making DQX for the Wii.

The way I see it, particularly on the software front, the Wii is just an "o.k." thing. It not a PS360 fiasco but it's no PS2 or DS, so why they decided to put it on Wii is anyone'e guess.

so yeah it will disappoint, DQ9 will reach its sales goal on the strength of the massive DS japanese userbase, which is an unprecedented case of videogame success.

DQ10 can't possibly achieve that without that userbase.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
sphinx said:
I think SE went ahead of themselves in making DQX for the Wii.

The way I see it, particularly on the software front, the Wii is just an "o.k." thing. It not a PS360 fiasco but it's no PS2 or DS, so why they decided to put it on Wii is anyone'e guess.

so yeah it will disappoint, DQ9 will reach its sales goal on the strength of the massive DS japanese userbase, which is an unprecedented case of videogame success.

DQ10 can't possibly achieve that without that userbase.

Wii is just an ''o.k.'' thing on the software front? O.k.

Honestly, I think people way underestimated MH3. Just because it had a huge drop-off doesn't mean that it was going to crash and burn; IIRC, the first MH on PSP sold 1 million over many weeks hiding in the top 20.

boiled goose

good with gravy
i think the expanded audiences are going to give MH3 and DQix good legs.

these are both killer apps that new gamers will see at other ppls houses or hear about them and then buy them for their consoles.

onken

I think the slim will do well but not crazy numbers or anything, there hasn't been any decent software out for ages, remember and FF13 is still a long way away. I'll say 70k.

Kenka

Samurai Warriors 3 bundled with a classic controller ? Nice. Hope it will pull 250k or something at retail. Plus the sales of the PS3 version, it might top the double.

Jerid

Banned
I rarely post in sales threads, but all these trivial hardware pissing competitions are lame as hell when everything is still pretty much set in stone hardwarewise this gen.

Question is where the fuck is the third party support and when will it show, most notably for Wii. The amount of support it gets relative to sales is disgusting, all those handhelds stealing the spotlight be damned!

Kenka said:
Samurai Warriors 3 bundled with a classic controller ? Nice. Hope it will pull 250k or something at retail. Plus the sales of the PS3 version, it might top the double.
SW 3 is still a Wii exclusive, though. It's the third Sengoku Basara game that is multiplat on Wii and PS3.

mclem

AniHawk said:
Is that the longest title for a game or what?

If you count real-but-unreleased ones, I think it's beaten by:

Attack of the Mutant Zombie Flesh-Eating Chickens From Mars (Starring Zappo The Dog)

Kenka

Those chicks don't look bad at all.

edit :

slaughterking said:
SW 3 is still a Wii exclusive, though. It's the third Sengoku Basara game that is multiplat on Wii and PS3.

Nice, thanks to clarify :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
linsivvi said:
Am I missing something here? Samurai Warriors is a pretty big series in Japan.

Samurai I don't think was ever as big as Dynasty, and Basara is the go to Sengoku game these days.

test_account

XP-39C²
Xeke said:
People doubted Resort.:lol
Wasnt the doubt more about if Wii Sports Resort would sell just as much (or at least close to) what Wii Sports did (YTD and LTD sales, not just weekly sales)? Wii Sports Resort's sales looks pretty good so far and it looks like it is on track to sell just as good as Wii Sports did/does :)

Kobun Heat said:
Hehe, nice one :)

Awntawn said:
2100 casualties this week
Casualties in what way? That 2100 people didnt wait 1 week to buy a PS3 for about $100 cheaper? :)

Speaking of the 2100 PS3s that were sold this week, i thought that the number was going to be closer to around 1000. I cant really see why anyone would want to buy a PS3 last week when they could have waited 1 week to save about $100. Or maybe that someone really wanted a PS3 last week and/or that they bought a PS3 because they preferred the PS3 Phat design instead of the PS3 Slim design. Or maybe they didnt know about the upcoming PS3 price drop or maybe some stores dropped the price on the PS3 Phat that we dont know about?

I think it's the redundant/unused queue-ropes. Reminds me of the PS3 France launch. Whatever the real situation, this ain't no new DS model launch.
About the PS3 France launch, are you thinking about the picture where that one guy is leaning towards the queue-ropes/fences, and there are no one in those queues? (unfortunately i cant find the picture right now). If yes, wasnt that picture taken some time before the actual launch event and that is why the queue-ropes/fences were empty? I mean that i read something about that at least.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
2100 units a week is as close to zero as it gets, given what it dropped from. Not all purchasing decisions are rational, nor are they all made with full information on hand.

No way is 2100 units a week the closest it gets to zero. Zero is the closest it gets to zero. I remember in the tail end of the original Xbox days, watching the weekly sales in Japan drop to two digits, then one digit, and it actually hit zero sales for at least a few weeks before it was no longer tracked.

I wish someone would dig up the "0. Solid if not spectacular." image with a grinning Bill Gates. That was a real classic.

linsivvi

sprsk said:
Samurai I don't think was ever as big as Dynasty, and Basara is the go to Sengoku game these days.

If I recall correctly, Sengoku Musou 2 still sold more than half a million on the PS2.

Grampasso

cvxfreak said:
So, is there a way for DQX sales NOT to disappoint? DQIX is setting quite a high bar.
I don't know to be honest. We've yet to see a single SS and DQIX has just been released, so I'd say it won't be out for at least 1 and half year from now. How much do we expect the Wii userbase to grow in the meanwhile? Let's be conservative and say 3 milions, but personally I expect more (we never know when a new Wii Sport/Wii Fit phenomenon can come out and bump back sales at 30-40k per week). Sum it up to the Wii LTD number (which I honestly don't remember >_> could it be 10 milions or something like that?). Plus we also have to consider that DQ fans are very conservative and are the type of gamer who'll buy the game no matter where it comes out (as long as it stays to its roots), so in the end I'd say that 3.5 milions should be a lock for it, though I expect more.
Would that be disappointing? I don't know which FOOL could expect the Wii one to sell more than the DS one, and I imagine SE knows it very well.
Now, after saying in previous threads that 900-1milion for a home console game is a big success nowadays, how could 3+ milions be disappointing? You can't expect EVERY single sequel to be more successful than the previous game, that's just not logic, in particular when we are talking about milions in sales.
Do seriously people think New Super Mario Bros. Wii will sell 5M+? :lol
P.S. This is not addressed directly to the quoted poster, it's just a general comment to "The magic GAFfers and the improbable expectations"

Awntawn

Sipowicz said:
is tamagochi still popular in japan?
Who needs just one fake digital pet that just sits there and does jackshit for you when you can have MANY that FIGHT EACH OTHER!

aka Pokemon

Road

Stumpokapow said:
No way is 2100 units a week the closest it gets to zero. Zero is the closest it gets to zero. I remember in the tail end of the original Xbox days, watching the weekly sales in Japan drop to two digits, then one digit, and it actually hit zero sales for at least a few weeks before it was no longer tracked.

I wish someone would dig up the "0. Solid if not spectacular." image with a grinning Bill Gates. That was a real classic.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3923587#post3923587 (Image on the following page)

Next week DQIX will (probably) break the DS top 5:

1. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl - 5,709,235
2. New Super Mario Bros. - 5,535,730
3. Animal Crossing: WW - 5,057,187
4. Brain Age 2 - 5,020,245
5. Brain Age - 3,797,258
6. Dragon Quest IX - 3.765,000

It would be unbelievable for the DS to have its top 5 all selling over 5 million.

And I predicted 40k for the PS3 slim launch (honestly didn't put much faith on it). I think it was before we knew the fat was not going go drop in price, which is bound to make the slim's first week sales considerably bigger.

jay

This thread should be hereby known as the You'll Incur Losses if You Remain Ignorant: How Money and Things Work.

test_account

XP-39C²
pseudocaesar said:
Why are people buying PS3's? I thought it would be close to zero sold, seeing as though the old fats never got price cut.
Seeing that 2100 PS3 were sold, i almost wonder if some stores actually dropped the price on the PS3 Phat before the PS3 Slim was released. I am also a bit surprised that the PS3 sold 2100 units this week.

pseudocaesar said:
What are predictions? I think 100k Hardware first week. Someones gotta be silly.
I was thinking something around 70k or so, but i dont really know what to expect. On one hand the PS3 has gotten a price drop, a new design and there is a Gundam bundle out as well. All of these things will boost the PS3 sales, but how much? On the other hand, there arent really any very big titled PS3 games being released in the same week as the PS3 Slim launch and the PS3 in general in Japan hasnt really been that popular (relatively speaking), at least not so far. So how much will this affect the PS3 sales?

Anything from like 45k-80k PS3 units sold i the same week as when the PS3 Slim was released wouldnt really surprise me much. Anything below 45k and over 80k will surprise me a bit :)

2100 units a week is as close to zero as it gets, given what it dropped from. Not all purchasing decisions are rational, nor are they all made with full information on hand.
When it comes to the PS3, then 2100 might be as low as it gets to zero (at least for now, maybe the PS3 weekly sales will be lower than 2100 at the end of PS3's lifetime), but as Stumpakapow said, it is possible to get lower than units sold :) The most recent (i think) example of this the Xbox 360 almost exactly one year ago, then the Xbox 360 sold 843 units (Famitsu numbers) in one week. This was right before that the Xbox 360 got a price cut though (the next week the Xbox 360 sold 28,681 units), so this low number makes sense, but it is possible to get closer to zero than 2100 units at least :)

Kinan said:
I sense some serious photoshop potential here:

http://www.kotaku.jp/photo/0903_ps3_11.JPG
Hehe, indeed. One of the first thing i thought of when i saw that picture was to photoshop in Ken Kutaragi's face on the guy who is buying the PS3. Maybe that wouldnt look too funny though, but i thought about this after seeing Kobun 41's Ken Kutaragi's photoshoped picture earlier :)

Parl

Based on the reductions in PS3 sales over the last few weeks, added onto the 'base' figure before those reduction, if PS3 Slim + price drop causes no bump above making up for lost sales, it'll sell roughly 27,000 in next week's figures.

Of course, it is going to go higher than that rough no bump figure, but by how much?

I expect a large bump on the 2k levels, much of it authenticically down to it being at a lower price and/or a new model, and much of which also as a result of people who would have bought it within the last few weeks, but waited because of a more interesting proposition. However, I would no be surprised to see a sharper than expected decline following it.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Hmm... The drop off for DQIX is slowing dramatically. I wonder if it'll level off in the top 10 for a while like the other insane DS sellers, or keep slowly dropping and level off in the 30s where most of the RPGs that crawl along stay (ff3 and inazuma 11).

CTLance

jay said:
This thread should be hereby known as the You'll Incur Losses if You Remain Ignorant: How Money and Things Work. (Nintendo)
Fuxed. And I'm all for that. It's such an awesome title.

As for the Slim, chalk me up for 87k. My predictometer is clearly broken, and the last time I tried I was off by a mile (MH3 sold way more), so I'm putting my powers to good use.

Top Bottom