• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 31-Sep 6, 2009

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
jcm said:
That makes sense. Do the pokewalkers make or break the game? It's a clever strategy.
I read there is one point at the beginning where you need to sync/connect the pedometer to the game to keep on playing...

Brofist

donny2112 said:
Thanks for the research, bttb. :)

I think eventually going sub-20K this year is a definite. Not so sure about sub-10K, though.

Yeah I can see a possible sub-20k period in mid/late November or early December just before FFXIII.

markatisu

1. NDS Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 1,408,980 / NEW
2. NDS Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo)
3. NDS Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix)

In awe at the DS

ethelred

slaughterking said:
Looks like DQIX had another ~50k week. Outstanding.

Yoichi Wada and Hirokazu Hamamura vindicated?

I still don't think it'll make it quite that far, but... I have to say, Square Enix's efforts at helping push it along are mighty impressive. They've had the weekly quests and pub NPC appearances going for a while, and they just did a new round of casual-focused advertising, and now they've started up the Wifi Quests. All efforts aimed at combating reselling the game (to keep the used prices high enough that it's just worth it to buy new) and bringing in new purchases.

I'm definitely curious to see just how long they'll be able to maintain such high sales, especially since we can still expect the game to receive bumps for each holiday it reaches (such as New Year's, if it lasts that long). I wonder if they'll do another few rounds of advertising, too.

Jonnyram

Sinobi says:
Pokemon HG/SS 1.4M
DSi 66k
DSL 9.6k
Tomodachi Collection 70k/994k
DQIX 38k/3,856,000
Gundam Senki 32k
CoD4 MW 16k
428 5.2k
MGS4 3.6k

Road

Adding sales to donny's post:

Famitsu Sep 7-13

1. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 1,408,980 / NEW
2. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 70,000 / 994,000
3. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) - 38,000 / 3,856,000
4. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
5. [PS3] Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki: Lost War Chronicles (Namco Bandai) - 32,000 / 191,000
6. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Legendary Edition) (Activision) - 16,000 / NEW
7. [NDS] Love Plus (Konami) - 15,000 / 63,000
8. [NDS] Sloane and MacHale's Mysterious Story 2 (Level 5)
9. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom)
10. [PSP] MAPLUS Portable Navigator 3 (Edia Co.)

[PS3] 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (Spike) - 5,200 / 22,200
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Konami) - 3,600 / 30,600

Shinobi also says 54k for the PS3.

jcm said:
What's the point of the pokewalkers from Nintendo's point of view? Do they add margin? Suppress used game sales? Sell Pokemon games to people who wouldn't otherwise buy them?

There must be a good reason to include them, especially if they are slowing game production. Otherwise Nintendo is leaving money on the table.
cw_sasuke said:
Piracy i would guess.
Also why do a remake if you can't add anything new?

The previous Pokemon remakes added the Wireless GBA multiplayer adapter

Road said:
5. [PS3] Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki: Lost War Chronicles (Namco Bandai) - 32,000 / 191,000
That's a pretty poor 2nd week...

PS3 Gundam Musou - 171k -> 47k (218k)
PS3 Gundam Musou 2 - 162k -> 45k (207k)
PS3 Gundam Senki - 159k -> 32k (191k)

I wonder what MC and Dengeki will put it, their first week total is within 15k of Famitsu second week total:
MC - 178k
Dengeki - 184k

Would be funny to see Dengeki correcting it with a 7k second week :p

Jokeropia

test_account said:
Ye, that might be what he ment indeed. But i didnt see what was so wrong to say the 57k PS3 consoles sold each week in average for 1 year. What Clear wrote on the next line showed (at least this is how i understood it) that he didnt belive that it was likely for the PS3 to sell this amount, so i understood his 57k a week comment to be more as a "what if" comment if you know what i mean? I dont see what is so stupid about saying this, but that is just my opinion :) It wasnt like he said that it was possible that it would happend or so.
"What its" are pointless if they have no reasonably probable basis. See examples in mine and Meier's posts.
test_account said:
I know that you most likely mentioned the 250k for 3 years example to show that 250k and 57k are both unlikely to happend, but i am not sure that i would say that 57k in average each week for about 1 year is basicly the same as saying 250k each week for 3 years. 250k each week for 3 years is pretty much impossible, i dont think anyone disagree with that, but is it impossible for the PS3 to sell 57k systems each week in average for about 1 year?
We're talking ~0.01% chance vs. ~0.001% chance here. One is ten times more likely than the other, but both are too small to be meaningful.
test_account said:
i dont know how realisticly it is for the PS3 to sell 57k a week in average in about 1 year from this date, i agree to that, but what about in about 2-3 years or so? It is impossible to know for sure what the PS3's pricetag is in 2-3 years though, but what i PS3's popularity rises? Is it possible? Didnt the DS see a big rise in popularity after that it had been 1 year or so on the market? I am not saying that this will happend to the PS3, or that it is likely to happend, but i just wanted to ask if it is possible :)
Not what we were talking about, but in the same irrelevant factor of probability in my eyes. There's a huge difference between increasing significantly in popularity after one year and doing so after 5-6 years. PS2 averaged about half of 57k in it's fifth year (outside of the holidays) and even less in it's sixth.
test_account said:
But to be honest, i think it is near impossible for the PS3 to sell 57k each week in average for about 1 year
Well alright then. We agree.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
"What its" are pointless if they have no reasonably probable basis. See examples in mine and Meier's posts.

We're talking ~0.01% chance vs. ~0.001% chance here. One is ten times more likely than the other, but both are too small to be meaningful.
In this case regarding hardware sales, what decides what is probable or not?

But i just wanted to ask what was wrong to say a "what if" comment, especially when he said that a ~30k would be a fantastic result for Sony. If he had only mentioned the 57k comment alone as a "what if" comment, then i would agree that it probably wasnt too much point to it, but when he also mentioned that ~30k would be fantastic for Sony, then i wanted to ask what was wrong about saying a "what if" comment like this. It wasnt exaclty a "what if" comment/argument on its own, but more of a "side comment" (or what i shall say) if you know what i mean, at least this is the way that i understood it.

By the way, what example did you mention in your previous post, the 250k each week for 3 years example? Meier's example was about movies, does movies sales work in the same way as console sales though?

Jokeropia said:
Not what we were talking about, but in the same irrelevant factor of probability in my eyes. There's a huge difference between increasing significantly in popularity after one year and doing so after 5-6 years. PS2 averaged about half of 57k in it's fifth year (outside of the holidays) and even less in it's sixth.
Ye, that is true, it is difference between 1 year into the console life cycle and 5-6 years into the the console life cycle as you say, i agree, but can we rule it 100% out? In afterthought, maybe not as much as 57k, but something not very far away from 57k? ("very far" can be relative though). No one knows what the future brings for sure :)

Some people had almost written off the PSP as well a few years ago as well, but then in 2008 it was relatively close to sell just as good as the DS (or did the PSP sell more? EDIT: I just remembered that the DSi came out in 2008 as well in Japan, so the DS sold more than the PSP in 2008). I am not saying that something similar will happend with the PS3 though, but can we rule it out 100%? I guess that it also depends on how soon the next generation consoles will come. If the next generation consoles comes in about 2-3 weeks or so, then it might be hard to boost the popularity much of an older console, i agree.

Jokeropia said:
Well alright then. We agree.
Ye, i agree to that it is unlikely, but honestly i dont know if i would rule it out 100% (but maybe 95%-99% or something hehe). Maybe not exactly 57k though, since that seems pretty high i think, i agree, but something not very far away from 57k, maybe 45k or so? I am not exaclty holding my breath that it will happend and i certainly wouldnt bet any money on that it will happend, but i think it shall be interesting to see what happends at least :)

EDIT 2: I am sorry for the very late edit here, and maybe you have already this post, but i just wanted to add that in afterthought, 57k in a week is something that i will pretty much rule out completely, since 57k seems to be too high indeed as you say, so i agree to what you say here :)

EDIT: I added some text.

Why are you guys talking about the PS3 doing 57k? There's no chance in hell that's gonna happen. It was doing 10k per week, it'll be lucky to do twice that on average next year.

test_account

XP-39C²
BishopLamont said:
Why are you guys talking about the PS3 doing 57k? There's no chance in hell that's gonna happen. It was doing 10k per week, it'll be lucky to do twice that on average next year.
The 57k discussion mostly started when i asked what was wrong about saying a "what if" comment regarding if the PS3 sold 57k a week in average for about 1 year, and at the same time say that ~30k would be fantastic for Sony. I understood this comment that 57k wasnt likely, but that it was more of a "what if" comment. I was just wondering what was "wrong" (or what i shall say) about saying something like this. I didnt mean any disrespect or anything like that to anyone, i was just wondering :)

I also didnt mean to say that it is likely that the PS3 would sell 57k each week in average for about 1 year, to be honest i think that this is very unlikely. I just wanted to ask if it was 100% impossible because unexpected things have happend before, like how many thought that the PS3 would sell about 150k consoles when it recently got a pricedrop and when the PS3 Slim was released? Only one guy thought so, at least from what i saw.

Selling 57k each week in average for about 1 year is a much bigger challenge and more unlikely to get 1 week with a big hardware spike though, at least in my opinion, but that the PS3 ended up selling about 150k consoles in one week was unexpected and not very likely to happend either, at least in my opinion. I am not saying that the PS3 is likely to sell 57k each week in average just because something unexpected happend with 1 week of PS3 sales just to underline that. I am mostly saying that unexpected things can happend :)

But in afterthought i do agree that the PS3 selling 57k each week in average for about 1 year is very unlikely indeed. I thought that it was very unlikely earlier as well though, but after giving it some more thought, i think that it is even more unlikely than what i first thought. So i am not saying that it is likely that the PS3 would sell 57k each week in average for about 1 year just to underline that :)

donny2112

test_account said:
I was just wondering what was "wrong" (or what i shall say) about saying something like this.

Treating it like an actual possibility.

test_account said:
I just wanted to ask if it was 100% impossible because unexpected things have happend before, like how many thought that the PS3 would sell about 150k consoles when it recently got a pricedrop and when the PS3 Slim was released? Only one guy thought so, at least from what i saw.

Everyone knew the PS3 was going to have a large spike. Kurosaki Ichigo was just the only one that got the size of the spike correct. That's a much different circumstance then saying that the PS3 will buck every spike-driven trend we've seen and not continue to drop past its second week. Yes, it is for all intents and purposes "impossible."

Cygnus X-1

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Sep 7-13

1. NDS Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 1,408,980 / NEW
2. NDS Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo)
3. NDS Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix)
4. WII Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
5. PS3 Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki: Lost War Chronicles (Namco Bandai)
6. PS3 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Legendary Edition) (Activision)
7. NDS Love Plus (Konami)
8. NDS Sloane and MacHale's Mysterious Story 2 (Level 5)
9. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom)
10. PSP MAPLUS Portable Navigator 3 (Edia Co.)

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/sokuho/1227629_1796.html

Pokémon is still so strong even after all these years. It was expected, but somehow still surprising.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Treating it like an actual possibility.
Ye, if it is treated like an actual possibility, then i wont say too much about it, i agree to that, but did he (the user "Clear") mean to treat it as an actualy possibilty when he said that ~30k would be fantastic for Sony on the next line though? I understood this comment more something like: "if the PS3 sells 57k a week, that would be like 3 million PS3 consoles sold in 1 year, but realisticly ~30k would be fantastic for Sony, and that ~30k is more of a best-case senario rather than 57k". That is why i was wondering what was "wrong" about saying the 57k comment before saying the "~30k would be fantastic for Sony". Is 57k unlikely to happend? Sure, but what is "wrong" about saying a comment like this when it is mentioned on the next line that ~30k would be fantastic for Sony and that ~30k is more realistic rather than 57k? :)

donny2112 said:
Everyone knew the PS3 was going to have a large spike. Kurosaki Ichigo was just the only one that got the size of the spike correct. That's a much different circumstance then saying that the PS3 will buck every spike-driven trend we've seen and not continue to drop past its second week. Yes, it is for all intents and purposes "impossible."
That is true, everyone knew that there was going to be a large spike in the PS3 sales as you say, but there were like 2 people who guessed over 100k. I think that the lowest prediction i saw was around 50k, but even 50k could have been concidered as a large spike (going from 1k-2k to 50k is a big spike, at least in my opinion). Didnt most people predict a lower number because they looked at how the PS3 had sold previously? When looking at how the PS3 had sold previously and then to guess that the PS3 would sell about 150k is in my opinion something that was rather unlikely to happend. I surely didnt expect the PS3 to sell over 100k at least, because i looked at how the PS3 had sold previously in general.

But ye, i fully agree to that 1 week of sales spike is quite different from getting a big sales spike for 1 year in average :)

donny2112

test_account said:
Did he (the user "Clear") mean to treat it as an actualy possibilty

Why give the amount of consoles that 57/week for a year would result in if he wasn't treating it like an actual possibility?

spwolf

donny2112 said:
Why give the amount of consoles that 57/week for a year would result in if he wasn't treating it like an actual possibility?

dont you post stats like that every week? "if wii sold like this every week it will overtake PS2....", etc?

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
I understood it more as an "what if" comment, or as a "fun fact" (or what i shall say). In afterthought, maybe he ment that it was possible, but that it was very unlikely? But i cant quite see why he mentioned that ~30k would fantastic and more realistic on the next line if he treated the 57k as an actuall possibilty that was likely to happend at least. But this is just how i understood it, i might have missunderstood what he ment.

:)

donny2112

spwolf said:
dont you post stats like that every week? "if wii sold like this every week it will overtake PS2....", etc?

That would be JJS. I always took the reasoning to be "if this ridiculous thing were to occur, here's how long it would take <x> to catch up to <y>" in order to give a sense of scale for the lead of one console over another and not to put forward an actual possible scenario.

test_account said:
But i cant quite see why he mentioned that ~30k would fantastic and more realistic on the next line if he treated the 57k as an actuall possibilty that was likely to happend at least. But this is just how i understood it, i might have missunderstood what he ment.

:)

Looking back at his post, I think the 57K / week thing was used to make the > 30K / week thing seem less ridiculous in comparison. I really don't think > 30K per week is going to happen at 30K Yen with the game slate PS3 has in Japan.

spwolf

donny2112 said:
That would be JJS. I always took the reasoning to be "if this ridiculous thing were to occur, here's how long it would take <x> to catch up to <y>" in order to give a sense of scale for the lead of one console over another and not to put forward an actual possible scenario.

it is still ridicilous thought because you are taking one week and trying to make sense of it... like when PS3 sold 1k everyone was OMG it will take 15 years to catch up to Wii.

personally, i think steady 20k would be great improvement over 8k that happened lately.

Road

spwolf said:
it is still ridicilous thought because you are taking one week and trying to make sense of it... like when PS3 sold 1k everyone was OMG it will take 15 years to catch up to Wii.

95 years.

spwolf said:
it is still ridicilous thought because you are taking one week and trying to make sense of it...
Isn't that the kind of thing we do in here? I see it as mostly a measure of how important a week is. When I first started doing it with DS and PSP, it was to show how the minor PSP weekly leads were going to take forever for it to actually amount to anything in the LTD race.

spwolf said:

personally, i think steady 20k would be great improvement over 8k that happened lately.

Uh, it would.

spwolf

JoshuaJSlone said:
Isn't that the kind of thing we do in here? I see it as mostly a measure of how important a week is. When I first started doing it with DS and PSP, it was to show how the minor PSP weekly leads were going to take forever for it to actually amount to anything in the LTD race.

then lets not dont diss other people using exactly same measure? :)

donny2112 said:
That's a much different circumstance then saying that the PS3 will buck every spike-driven trend we've seen and not continue to drop past its second week. Yes, it is for all intents and purposes "impossible."
Sure. But the magnitude of that drop isn't preordained. Everything that you (and others) are saying about 57k every week being totally impossible is very true. However, I think test_account is not concentrating on the number, but on the kind of scenario it describes: a truly massive (percentage) bump in hardware sustained over a very long run.

Look at the PSP Slim. As with PS3 slim it had a hardware redesign, a key piece or two of big-name software near launch, and a big rebranding/marketing push. It had been doing in the 25-30k range for months, then had a big spike. Sales subsided, of course, but it didn't drop under 50k again for over a year.

These absolute numbers are not going to happen; PS3 is starting from a lower baseline, PSP's spike was much bigger, size matters more with portables, etc. etc. But about double the sales (say 25k a week) for a year, while still implausible, does seem to fall within the realm of possibility.

That would be an extremely notable event (just as the PSP's year-long surge was). I think that's what test_account is reacting to, whereas everyone else is focused on the impossibility of the specific original suggestion. It seems to me like reading past each other.

donny2112

Famitsu Aug 31-Sep 6

01./00. [PS3] Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki: Lost War Chronicles (Namco Bandai Games) - 159,408 / NEW
02./01. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 88,033 / 923,369 (+26%)
03./02. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) - 52,135 / 3,817,595 (-23%)
04./04. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 48,230 / 1,098,222 (+21%)
05./00. [NDS] Love Plus (Konami) - 47,854 / NEW
06./00. [NDS] Sloane and MacHale's Mysterious Story 2 (Level 5) - 20,570 / NEW
07./00. [PS3] 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (Spike) - 17,111 / NEW
08./06. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 14,972 / 880,712 (-52%)
09./11. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 14,700 / 971,834 (-11%)
10./09. [NDS] You'll Incur Losses if You Remain Ignorant: How Money and Things Work DS (Nintendo) - 12,023 / 29,359 (-31%)

11./00. [PSP] Way of the Samurai 2 Portable (Spike) - 10,619 / NEW
12./12. [NDS] Puyo Puyo 7 (SEGA) - 10,542 / 150,396 (-33%)
13./05. [PSP] Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny (Namco Bandai Games) - 8,813 / 40,037 (-72%)
14./13. [PS2] SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Namco Bandai Games) - 6,986 / 295,025 (-50%)
15./19. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 6,471 / 3,518,901 (-2%)
16./00. [WII] Little King's Story (Marvelous) - 6,426 / NEW
17./17. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai X: Tenkuu no 7 Senshi (A Penguin's Troubles X: 7 Warriors of the Sky) (Konami) - 5,787 / 129,590 (-25%)
18./00. [PS2] Sweet Honey Coming (Kadokawa Shoten) - 5,435 / NEW
19./07. [NDS] Super Robot Gakuen (Namco Bandai Games) - 5,286 / 30,966 (-79%)
20./15. [PSP] Tales of Versus (Namco Bandai Games) - 4,903 / 213,038 (-39%)
21./14. [NDS] Nanashi no Game: Eye (The Game with no Name: Eye) (Square Enix) - 4,900 / 15,220 (-53%)
22./00. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot (BEST) (Konami) - 4,848 / 27,147
23./03. [360] Dream C Club (D3 Publisher) - 4,841 / 49,725 (-89%)
24./00. [PS3] Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (BEST) (SCEI) - 4,239 / NEW
25./20. [NDS] Color Changing Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love (Nintendo) - 4,149 / 74,693 (-35%)
26./27. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 4,120 / 2,321,757 (-9%)
27./00. [PSP] Simple 2500 Series Portable Vol. 12: The Fuhyou 2: Senyuu yo Sakini Ike (D3 Publisher) - 3,832 / NEW
28./25. [NDS] Welcome Home! Chibi-Robo! Happy Rich Big Cleaning! (Nintendo) - 3,790 / 106,942 (-31%)
29./26. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2009 Club Championship (Konami) - 3,728 / 68,070 (-27%)
30./00. [NDS] Anpanman to Touch de Waku Waku Training (Namco Bandai Games) - 3,686 / NEW

*. [PS3] Little Big Planet (BEST) (SCEI) - 1,200 / NEW
*. [PS3] Trusty Bell: Chopin's Dream - Reprise (BEST) (Namco Bandai Games) - 840 / NEW
*. [PS3] Ridge Racer 7 (BEST) (Namco Bandai Games) - 830 / NEW
*. [PS3] Afrika (BEST) (SCEI) - 780 / NEW
*. [WII] Tabemon (The Munchables) (Namco Bandai Games) - 580 / NEW
*. [PSP] Yamamura Misa Suspense: Kyoto Kuramayama Shou Murder Incident (Marvelous) - 550 / NEW

Bar Chart Aug 31-Sep 6 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2009-08-31

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Aug 3-16, 2009
Aug 17-23, 2009
Aug 24-30, 2009

donny2112

Famitsu Software Pie for Aug 31-Sep 6:

DS - 42.0%
PS3 - 27.1%
WII - 13.1%
PSP - 10.3%
PS2 - 5.5%
360 - 1.7%
Other - 0.2%

Edit:
If you were to combine that with MC's total software for the week to get a rough approximation, you'd get PS3 with 253K in software with 189K of that shown above.

markatisu

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Software Pie for Aug 31-Sep 6:

DS - 42.0%
PS3 - 27.1%
WII - 13.1%
PSP - 10.3%
PS2 - 5.5%
360 - 1.7%
Other - 0.2%

Edit:
If you were to combine that with MC's total software for the week to get a rough approximation, you'd get PS3 with 253K in software with 189K of that shown above.

Do we have any idea what it was the week before?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Looks like Tri will exit the charts in a few weeks just over 900K or so.

Probably won't make it to a million by the end of the year, but I think it will get there sometime in 2010.

markatisu

schuelma said:
Looks like Tri will exit the charts in a few weeks just over 900K or so.

Probably won't make it to a million by the end of the year, but I think it will get there sometime in 2010.

Or it could settle in at 7-10k for a really long time, never know since MH2PG still remains at a constant level.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
markatisu said:
Or it could settle in at 7-10k for a really long time, never know since MH2PG still remains at a constant level.

It's been dropping steadily week after week..why would you expect it so suddenly maintain a steady level? This isn't the portable version, and the first 6-7 weeks has shown that.

Top Bottom