• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: August 7-13

Barf_the_Mog said:
NSMB is at around 3 million units now and still selling 100,000 per week. Could we see total sales pass 5 even 6 million?

Haha, who was that guy 3 weeks ago yelling at everyone for saying Mario could top 3 million?

ioi

Banned
snatches said:
I really think that NSMB has a chance to sell to 1/3 the installed base of DS in Japan over the life of the console. I think it could sell upwards of 6 million by, let's say, the end of 2008. Nintendo really needs to learn from past mistakes and release a budget series of games for the DS. By budget, I mean a player's choice type lineup. Maybe mid 2007 drop the price of Mario Kart, NSMB, AC, and other early releases to around $20-$25 USD equivalent in Japan. Around the time they drop the handheld to $99.

This is true. Mother 1&2 and Phoenix Wright both had a healthy number of sales at reduced price point- I'm suprised Nintendo seem to have held back for a long time from releasing budget titles.

cvxfreak

Famitsu 8/14 - 8/20 Express Ranking:

1. NSMB (DS)
2. Tamagotchi 2 (DS)
3. DS Cuisine Navigator (DS)
4. More Brain Training (DS)
5. Daito Giken Pachislot Simulator Hihouden (PS2)
6. Pachislot: Fist of the North Star SE (PS2)
7. ACWW (DS)
8. SD Gundam G-Generation Portable (PSP)
9. Brain Training (DS)
10. Sengoku BASARA 2 (PS2)

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Japan is like a million hours ahead of us, right? So it must be the 24th now in that country....any pictures of people waiting in line yet?

Burnst

Barf_the_Mog said:
Japan is like a million hours ahead of us, right? So it must be the 24th now in that country....any pictures of people waiting in line yet?
Couple of hour before sunrise. I hope we get some numbers this week. :)

99.999 Limited FF3 DS's?

cvxfreak

Barf_the_Mog said:

I believe they're 8 hours ahead of GMT during daylight savings, so it's 9PM in Britain and about 5AM or so there, so I'm guessing people are already in line. :D

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Given the non-traditional sales patterns and demographics for many of Nintendo's DS software releases, I wonder if we will see Nintendo try to "re-launch" some games with a revamped advertising campaign (and perhaps reduced price) for them once sales have slumped. The return of ACWW suggests that this kind of approach could extract more sales, eventually, out of BT, Mario, Cooking etc once they fall to sub 10k sales.

Darmstadtium said:
It looks like Nintendo may have DS shortages for like a year straight.

crazy when you realise that.

Deku

Banned
MrSardonic said:
Given the non-traditional sales patterns and demographics for many of Nintendo's DS software releases, I wonder if we will see Nintendo try to "re-launch" some games with a revamped advertising campaign (and perhaps reduced price) for them once sales have slumped. The return of ACWW suggests that this kind of approach could extract more sales, eventually, out of BT, Mario, Cooking etc once they fall to sub 10k sales.

crazy when you realise that.

They already have with AC, which is what caused the spike in sales last week. I'm sure games like Brain Training, NSMB can be relaunched at any time once their sales slow.

KINGMOKU

UPDATEcopy.jpg

Thought I'd drop that in here.

Good grief... NSMB is really going to do it, isn't it? SMW is going to fall within weeks, and it's almost certain that SML will be overtaken by year-end. Astonishing.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Deku said:
They already have with AC, which is what caused the spike in sales last week. I'm sure games like Brain Training, NSMB can be relaunched at any time once their sales slow.

thanks for repeating my point...

KINGMOKU

Cosmonaut X said:
Good grief... NSMB is really going to do it, isn't it? SMW is going to fall within weeks, and it's almost certain that SML will be overtaken by year-end. Astonishing.
Yup, and one could argue that the "Mario brand" is at its strongest point ever.

Why did a stress that? Well on the minor side, its astonishing that after so many years, Mario is still this strong, arguably its strongest ever. The major point is this;

Nintendo did it again, this time, only dumber.

Nintendo, where is my launch Mario?

You know how many machines they would have moved had Mrio headlined the launch?

*shakes head*

heidern

ziran said:
i'm sure nintendo could ship 3 million a month, maybe 4, if they could produce them.
They probably could... for now. But keep that up and you're looking at 36-48 million a year. That is maybe not sustainable. I think they'd rather keep a smooth level of supply, increase it but not enough to fully meet demand. That way they can continue that momentum into next year. The way it's going shortages could last into next summer, and with the western launches of Pokemon we could conceivable see shortages all the way 2009. Let alone what could happen with a drop to $99 or some more new blockbusters appearing.

The way it's going it looks like a 200K a week average is very possible which would get them to 13.5M by December. Then it depends what kind of stocks they can get, but honestly, if they don't beat the 2M they got last year then there was a ****up somewhere along the line. I mean it's not like they didn't predict 10M being sold not too late in the year.

Also, Tamagotchi 2 is racing along. The first one managed 400K by December and just under 800K by January. Part 2 looks like it could be well over 500K by the end of August and possibly over 1M by December. Then anything can happen. FFIII will probably do well, over a million and I think it has a shot at 2 million if it can draw in some of the new gamers the DS has attracted.

lawnjam

h-103_58932_380opun.jpg.jpg

Happy now? :lol

They stopped letting people join the queue at 7am, because they were only getting 150 of the limited edition DS + FFIII bundles.

I think it's safe to say that they will sell exactly the amount of these that Nintendo have shipped...

EDIT: sooooo beaten by the FFIII queue thread

Top Bottom