• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 14-20, 2009

botticus

apotema said:
How does Wii, PSP and DS HW sales compare to last year?

Is there anyway to see the Media Create archives of previous years?
Bottom of the first post has links to posts containing weekly threads by year.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
apotema said:
How does Wii, PSP and DS HW sales compare to last year?

Is there anyway to see the Media Create archives of previous years?

Check the first post of this thread for archives of past threads.

And offhand, I think Wii and PS3 are significantly up, the portables down.

duckroll

Near said:
For comparisons sake if someones willing to do it, or if it's worth having a look at all. What other Cero D rated new IPs have sold in league with it dating back to last gen? :D

CERO ratings only date back to last gen anyway, and even then it wasn't there at the start of the PS2 generation. Bayonetta isn't exactly an amazing seller in the CERO18/CERO D category by any means if you take the entire sample of games. Some notable CERO D new IPs from PS1/PS2 era:

- MGS (PS1)
- Resident Evil (PS1)
- Xenogears (PS1)
- Onimusha (PS2)
- Devil May Cry (PS2)
- Ryu ga Gotoku (PS2)

As you can see, it's not particularly impressive that Bayonetta is at ~200k+.

Edit: Interestingly enough, MGS wasn't actually rated CERO D. It's rated CERO C (PSN release), while MGS2 and above are CERO D. :)

Edit2: More interestingly enough, Resident Evil's original release might not have been CERO C either, if the rating system had existed back then. Since only the Director's Cut is on PSN, it is rated CERO D, but RE2 is rated CERO C, with RE3 being CERO D again. Most lilely for the the FMVs.

Onesimos

schuelma said:
Is this guy serious or is he a joke character mocking our seriousness for Japanese sales numbers?

Instead of asking the denizens of NeoGAF if I am a "joke character" or not, why not you ask me?

Because I am beginning to sense that the denizens on this thread do not like my presence, it would be best that I log out of my account and leave NeoGAF for good.

kswiston

duckroll said:
CERO ratings only date back to last gen anyway, and even then it wasn't there at the start of the PS2 generation. Bayonetta isn't exactly an amazing seller in the CERO18/CERO D category by any means if you take the entire sample of games. Some notable CERO D new IPs from PS1/PS2 era:

- MGS (PS1)
- Resident Evil (PS1)
- Xenogears (PS1)
- Onimusha (PS2)
- Devil May Cry (PS2)
- Ryu ga Gotoku (PS2)

As you can see, it's not particularly impressive that Bayonetta is at ~200k+.

Would Parasite Eve fall under that rating category? What usually makes a game CERO D vs a lower category? Blood/Gore?

Onesimos said:
Because I am beginning to sense that the denizens on this thread do not like my presence, it would be best that I log out of my account and leave NeoGAF for good.

The M-C threads have been around for years. Most of the regulars in this thread have been posting in the M-C threads for years. You get a hard time from people because you are repeating facts/arguments that 100 people have said 1000 times as though you were the first person to notice them. Being pushy on GAF also doesn't do you favors when you registered a few months ago. A lot of the community members have been here for 5+ years.

Despite what it may seem like, video game message boards are not serious business. Instead of storming off in a rage, vowing to never visit GAF again, why don't you just relax. Maybe lurk in the M-C threads for awhile until you know who is who, and then come back when you are ready to have a little more fun while discussing numbers that really only matter to company stockholders.

duckroll

kswiston said:
Would Parasite Eve fall under that rating category? What usually makes a game CERO D vs a lower category? Blood/Gore?

Parasite Eve has never been re-released (not even on disc!) in Japan, and it is not on PSN, so we'll probably never know for sure. But considering the shower scene, and how the game is quite gross/violent in some of the FMVs, I would say, yes that's a good candidate too. After all Xenogears had enough to earn it a CERO D on PSN.

There are no exact hard and fast rules of what makes a CERO C game and a CERO D game, BUT, for what it is worth, I think if we're talking about market perception, then any "red warning" label game from the PS1 generation and early PS2 generation (it's a triangular red warning label which says "This game contains scenes explicit violence and grotesque imagery") should have had the same "impact" on consumers are a CERO D or CERO 18 label had once CERO started rating games. The actual CERO re-rating now of older games should not even matter.

In that case, then games like RE1, MGS, PE, Dino Crisis, etc would all count.

Busaiku

Looking back at last December, it seems that DS might actually be down YoY.
It's got to do another 411,423 in the next 2 weeks to match last year's total (going by Media Create), and it doesn't seem to be getting the same boost as it did last (it was already doing over 250k in the 3rd to last week, as opposed to the 183k it did this year).

Spirit Tracks might help it a bit, but unless it sees big gains, it looks like it'll be slightly down overall.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I think you are a bit too harsh on Onesimos.

It's obvious that he has limited knowledge about Media Create threads but he is trying hard to show that he is very interested about them.

Onesimos it's not necessary to stop posting just have always in mind that you are lacking some very basic information about Japanese sales. That's not bad. No one new everything from the beginning. If you are really interested read carefully these threads and soon you'll be able to have a more active role in them. Just stay at the corner for a while until this happens.

kswiston

Chris1964 said:
Onesimos it's not necessary to stop posting just have always in mind that you are lacking some very basic information about Japanese sales. That's not bad. No one new everything from the beginning. If you are really interested read carefully these threads and soon you'll be able to have a more active role in them. Just stay at the corner for a while until this happens.

Chris was more elegantly than me, but I agree. Don't stop visiting/posting on GAF. Just realize that it will take awhile before you will be knowledgeable enough in Japanese sales that people will start valuing your input.

I've been reading these threads pretty religiously for 3+ years, and I still don't know half as much as people like Chris, Joshua, and others do.

duckroll said:
Parasite Eve has never been re-released (not even on disc!) in Japan, and it is not on PSN, so we'll probably never know for sure. But considering the shower scene, and how the game is quite gross/violent in some of the FMVs, I would say, yes that's a good candidate too....

...In that case, then games like RE1, MGS, PE, Dino Crisis, etc would all count.

So Basically, Bayonetta did pretty well for a new IP launching on PS3/360, but is nothing special when compared to similar franchise starters in the last two console generations.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I'm bored without numbers. These are all the games with sales>100k after the 20th week (Famitsu)

[NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 188.000 (27th week)
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 185.021 (31st week)
[NDS] Brain Training (Nintendo) - 160.670 (33rd week)
[GBA] Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 158.312 (83rd week)
[NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 131.806 (57th week)
[NDS] Brain Training (Nintendo) - 130.656 (34th week)
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 130.021 (33rd week)
[WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 126.850 (57th week)
[WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 108.629 (55th week)
[NDS] More Brain Training (Nintendo) - 104.728 (54th week)
[WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) - 104.635 (55th week)
[WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) - 102.701 (57th week)

As expected it's all Nintendo. Friend Collection has at least two weeks more. This and the next. 83rd week for Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros. was actually the reprint of the game for the GB Micro launch.

Culex

Banned
Nevermind Mario or Final Fantasy! The real question is: will Tales of Graces stay in the top 50 for it's third week?

justjohn

Onesimos said:
Instead of asking the denizens of NeoGAF if I am a "joke character" or not, why not you ask me?

Aren't you like 34 yrs old?

donny2112

Chris1964 said:
There is still some hope for Media Create tomorrow morning. I want to believe.

Even if MC delays until next week, they may still send out the early info that shows up on Gpara and Inside-Games.jp. That usually shows up in 6-7 hours or so.

Edit:
BTW, the MC Posts graph is updated through last weeks thread. In a nutshell, weekly posts are back to 2005 levels with the FFXIII thread being a huge deviation from that and something like the second highest MC thread post count ever.

Edit2:
Chris1964 said:
hardware.gif

Cheesemeister, Cheesemeister. Well, it looks like I'm going to have to upload your "Hardware" image to my Photobucket account and stop leeching off of yours now. :(
;) Thanks for all your work on the MC threads! :)

Chris1964 said:
I'm bored without numbers. These are all the games with sales>100k after the 20th week (Famitsu)

[NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 188.000 (27th week)
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 185.021 (31st week)
[NDS] Brain Training (Nintendo) - 160.670 (33rd week)
[GBA] Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 158.312 (83rd week)
[NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 131.806 (57th week)
[NDS] Brain Training (Nintendo) - 130.656 (34th week)
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 130.021 (33rd week)
[WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 126.850 (57th week)
[WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 108.629 (55th week)
[NDS] More Brain Training (Nintendo) - 104.728 (54th week)
[WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) - 104.635 (55th week)
[WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) - 102.701 (57th week)

As expected it's all Nintendo. Friend Collection has at least two weeks more. This and the next. 83rd week for Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros. was actually the reprint of the game for the GB Micro launch.
Im not into sales as much as i used to be, now just dive into threads like these cassually.

But i most say this is one of the most interesting number collections i can remember. Outstanding job there Chris.

wrowa

Onesimos said:

You are posting obvious things as if they are conclusions of a genius. Stop doing that and everything is fine.

test_account

XP-39C²
Onesimos said:

As Chris1964 and kswiston already said, i dont think that you need to leave NeoGAF. I havnt read this Media Create thread that much, so i only know what Stopsign told me when i asked what you had said, but i dont think that you need to leave NeoGAF because of those things that you said :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Onesimos said:

I am honestly sorry if I came across as a dick- I'm all for more posters to become involved in these threads. But acting as if you are making amazing insights out of really obvious conclusions (like "wow, great Wii hardware sales, I wonder if the holidays had something to do with it") gets to be a bit much.

jay

Chris1964 said:

list

It's almost bizarre that Nintendo is mostly alone when it comes to making games with huge legs. With the number of developers in Japan and the number of quality games it almost doesn't make sense.

wrowa said:
You are posting obvious things as if they are conclusions of a genius. Stop doing that and everything is fine.

My favorite post of his is from the Amazon top 10 of 09 thread -
This will be interesting when December's NPD sales report is released in early January.

Rolf NB

I blame two things:
1)language barriers
2)neglect of the old "lurk before you post" rule

And Pokepark, but that goes without saying.

markatisu

Culex said:
Nevermind Mario or Final Fantasy! The real question is: will Tales of Graces stay in the top 50 for it's third week?

I wonder if it will increase any due to the Wii holiday effect now that FFXIII has passed

And I saw Deca 2 being discussed a while ago, did it ever sell it's first shipment at all?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
There's nothing to doubt. It's right out of Hino's mouth. Ninokuni will have a DS version and a a home console version for an unspecified platform, just like Inazuma Eleven Break. He specifically mentioned that it would be largely the same game with better visuals for home console, and also include the book in the package, like the DS game. Mobile phones are neither a home console, nor does the mobile version come in a package with the book, for obvious reasons. :p
Huh, I must have missed that one.

My bad.

dolemite said:
I think it's 9:20pm EST on Thursday, but it may change this week due to the holidays.

That's around when we get the HW #s normally. We get the SW #s sometime tonight, EST. Though, like dole said, it might vary this week because it's the holidays.

donny2112

The numbers show up on Inside-Games.jp usually in about an hour from now. Gpara is a few hours after that. MC will either post the official numbers early or hold them until next week.

cvxfreak

Famitsu Top 10: 12/21 - 12/27/2009

1. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
2. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo)
3. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo)
4. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix)
5. [NDS] Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (Pokemon)
6. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
7. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2 Fire/Blizzard (Level 5)
8. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
9. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 2 (Bandai Namco)
10. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of the Malevolent Spirit (Level 5)

...:lol

Gravijah

cvxfreak said:
Famitsu Top 10: 12/21 - 12/27/2009

1. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
2. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo)
3. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo)
4. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix)
5. [NDS] Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (Pokemon)
6. [WII] Wii Fit Plus
7. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2 Fire/Blizzard (Level 5)
8. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
9. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 2 (Bandai Namco)
10. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Malevolent Flute

...:lol

cvxfreak
HOLY FUCKING CRAP

cvxfreak

A mainline Final Fantasy can't even be the number one selling game for the month it's released in. Times have changed. Pokemon or DQ would never end up giving up their titles, in comparison.
How's that for smug and kinda annoying?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
cvxfreak said:
A mainline Final Fantasy can't even be the number one selling game for the month it's released in. Times have changed. Pokemon or DQ would never end up giving up their titles, in comparison.
it's pretty apparent

Gravijah

cvxfreak said:

You're choking me with your smug annoyingness. I'd recommend you just start taking your opinion and flushing it down the toilet.

donny2112

cvxfreak said:

Needs subtlety. In actuality, this is a very good result considering it's on the PS3 and the general series decline.
<- More like that.

donny2112

Well, Inside-Games.jp hasn't updated, yet. There's still a chance it could come out soon, but next week is looking more and more likely, especially with Famitsu not even updating with last week's data, yet. :lol Monday, maybe?

Top Bottom