• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Feb. 1 - 7, 2010

Will Friend Collection ever make it out of Japan? I really would like to try it. Maybe this summer? I wouldn't think you'd need more than a year for translation...

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Sakamoto and team deserve a big raise and bigger staffs for more awesome games. I don't understand why Nintendo shifted the resources amongst division so disproportionately.

I would also like the R&D1 name official back. No SPD group 1 junk!!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Will Friend Collection ever make it out of Japan? I really would like to try it. Maybe this summer? I wouldn't think you'd need more than a year for translation...

I would assume this Summer. Nintendo will likely show it off at E3. But I think Nintendo should release Friend Collection and that Budgeting your Economy game they released in Japan. Both in-house software.

Tomodachi Collection may replace the Animal Crossing series. They are way too similar, and Tomodachi Collection has the more universal appeal. Casual Adult$$

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
JordanLMiller said:
From what I've seen and read Friend Collection is very Japanese centric. I don't think it will ever make it out of Japan but even if it does it will have the sales fate of Rhythm Heaven and Style Savvy.

Tiktaalik

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Sakamoto and team deserve a big raise and bigger staffs for more awesome games. I don't understand why Nintendo shifted the resources amongst division so disproportionately.

I would also like the R&D1 name official back. No SPD group 1 junk!!

I've always figured it was because Sakamoto was part of the Gunpei crew and Miyamoto is now head of all dev...

That's pure speculation though. It makes a great story to assume there is/was some sort rivalry between Gunpei's teams and Miyamoto's teams but it's likely not the case.

Looking at more rational reasons Gunpei's teams have always been the go to handheld guys so maybe they just like doing that better?

Tiktaalik

Sakamoto is doing a talk at GDC about making games for the hardcore (Metroid) vs expanded audience (Friend Collection) and I really, really want to go but I'm incredibly busy at work during that time so it's not going to happen. :( :( :(

jibblypop

Banned
Chris1964 said:
From what I've seen and read Friend Collection is very Japanese centric. I don't think it will ever make it out of Japan but even if it does it will have the sales fate of Rhythm Heaven and Style Savvy.

Really? I saw some youtube videos of it and it seemed like it could be a hit overseas with the animal crossing crowd.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PSP 43,163
Wii 36,149
DSi LL 28,080
PS3 25,450
DSi 19,116
DS Lite 5,410
Xbox 360 3,651
PS2 2,047
PSP go 1,738

schuelma

The PS3 was closer to outselling the Wii weekly last year, FWIW.

Road

schuelma said:
PSP go 1,738
It went up! It was 1,645 last week.

Hmm... Both PSP an DS have crossed 500k YTD:

NDS - 518,703
PSP - 507,653

And that's all.

Oh, and thanks, Joshua, for updating Garaph again. I was already having withdrawal =P

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
31. / 00. [PSP] Misshitsu no Sacrifice (D3 Publisher)
32. / 36. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)
33. / 35. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of Malevolent Destiny (Level 5)
34. / 31. [PSP] Machi-Ing Maker 3 x Tousouchuu (D3 Publisher)
35. / 00. [PSP] Moe Moe: World War Two Deluxe 2 (System Soft Alpha)
36. / 40. [PS3] Yakuza 3 (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Sega)
37. / 47. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
38. / 27. [PSP] Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai)
39. / 38. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Square Enix)
40. / 41. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)
41. / 43. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Legendary Hits) (Activision)
42. / 34. [NDS] Last Window: Midnight Promise (Nintendo)
43. / 00. [NDS] Stitch! DS Rhythm and Ohana Adventure (Disney Interactive)
44. / 48. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
45. / 50. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo)
46. / 37. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix)
47. / 45. [WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei)
48. / 24. [NDS] Lively Garden (Marvelous Entertainment)
49. / 46. [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)
50. / 20. [WII] Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars (Capcom)

00. / 00. [ALL] Weekly Software Sales (All Publishers) - 1,217,094 / 9,497,661 (-37%)

NDS - 14
PSP - 14
WII - 12
PS3 - 9
360 - 1
PS2 - 0

HARDWARE

Code:
|  PSP  |     44,901  |     49,520  |    507,652  |  14,113,926  |
|  WII  |     36,149  |     42,309  |    421,601  |   9,862,945  |
|  PS3  |     25,450  |     34,431  |    297,962  |   4,684,961  |
|  360  |      3,651  |      4,089  |     28,044  |   1,230,838  |
|  PS2  |      2,047  |      2,182  |     16,012  |  21,622,166  |
------------------------------------------------------------------
|  DSi  |     19,116  |     24,783  |    234,203  |   4,480,688  |
| DSiLL |     28,080  |     34,863  |    233,284  |     669,548  |
|  DSL  |      5,410  |      6,811  |     51,216  |  17,881,584  |
|  PSP  |     43,163  |     47,875  |    493,726  |  14,028,148  |
| PSPgo |      1,738  |      1,645  |     13,926  |      85,778  |

freddy

Banned
I gotta say after finishing reading lasts weeks thread and seeing it mentioned again here, all these leaks make things confusing. Kinda hard to keep track what the legit numbers are.

swerve

jibblypop said:
Really? I saw some youtube videos of it and it seemed like it could be a hit overseas with the animal crossing crowd.

Because Nintendo's text-to-speech works on Japanese phonemes, which simply cannot work with the unpredictability and random pronunciations of European languages, a western release would require a massive cartridge, thousands of pre-recorded lines of speech, and significant cultural revisions. And all to make an inferior product (it still wouldn't even be able to read out the player names).

I could imagine them doing an Animal Crossing type 'read letters fast' language, but this would still eliminate the singing, the news reports, etc. So it'd be a shadow of its original version.

So, don't get your hopes up.

Chris1964 said:

I didn't think RH did all that bad. Definitely enough to not be bad I think.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
A Link to the Snitch said:
I didn't think RH did all that bad. Definitely enough to not be bad I think.
It sold way less from what it sold in Japan. For such a big seller and accessible genre (rhythm) I think that even Nintendo expected more.

freddy said:
I gotta say after finishing reading lasts weeks thread and seeing it mentioned again here, all these leaks make things confusing. Kinda hard to keep track what the legit numbers are
There was a fake Famitsu leak at the previous thread. Every other number was correct. If you mean the leaked Media Create numbers from drill blog as has been said they are slightly different from the actual.

mujun said:
So what has PS3 levelled out at these days?

If I'm not mistaken, this week is ps3's low, since the slim launched in Japan. Don't know if there are any good releases next week that will increase its sales, and if not, might it go lower next week?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
nextgeneration said:
If I'm not mistaken, this week is ps3's low, since the slim launched in Japan. Don't know if there are any good releases next week that will increase its sales, and if not, might it go lower next week?
If it goes down next week PS3 is in big trouble

[PS3] Playstation 3 250GB
[PS3] Resident Evil 5: Alternative Edition (Capcom)
[PS3] Heavy Rain (SCE)
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors Online: Kamishou Ranbu (Koei)
[PS3] Dante's Inferno (Electronic Arts)
[PS3] Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (D3 Publisher)
[PS3] Skate 2 (EA Best Hits) (Electronic Arts)
[PS3] Uncharted (Twin Pack) (SCE)

linsivvi

t3nmilez said:
Pop 'N Music Portable sure fared a lot better than the Wii game, heh. The new Wii DDR also seems to have crashed, wonder why other music games can't take off after Taiko's success. Makes me wonder what could have happened if they just ported the Pop 'N game to the Wii, instead of making some strange new version that no one wanted.

It has to sell better. The Wii game is a simplified Samba de Amigo that should never be called Pop 'N Music. This PSP version is, for all intend and purposes, a port of Pop 'N Music 15 from the arcade that should've been released on the PS2 years ago. The Wii game has barebone game modes, with half as many songs as the PSP game, and they even have the audacity to sell song packs online. The only downside to Portable is you can't hook up to the arcade controller.

I just wish Konami would port this to the PS2 , I would buy it again!

The black cases really do look very natty, and they help to make those titles stand out on the shelves - the Madworld one in particular works so well with the monochrome (well, nearly ;-)) cover art.

Dalthien

Chris1964 said:
45. / 50. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo)
46. / 37. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix)
Mark down another franchise that has overtaken Final Fantasy this gen.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Khrno

cvxfreak said:
FFXIII - ¥4980

Some places have it for ¥3980, no idea where is this from tho.

ff13b.jpg

ff13a.jpg

onken

Khrno said:
Some places have it for ¥3980, no idea where is this from tho.

http://i.imagehost.org/0008/ff13b.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imagehost.org/0068/ff13a.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

It's Softmap, and is that a healthy pile of MHTri in the background there?

Vinnk

It's 4500 at Wanpaku right now.
5999 at Yamada

and comically:

Still like more than 9000 at Goody (the only place I know that actually launched it at full price)

Vinnk

Man God said:
How is DQ VI doing for supply? I noticed it had a slight second week decline over other remakes.

No supply problems here. Not a lot of copies in the stores, but if you wanted one, you could get it. Haven't seen any used copies yet, but I haven't really been looking.

Madworld is gonna bomb hard. Only two stores in my town are even stocking it and at both of them the (few) copies are behind a counter and being stored on their sides (so you can't see the cover) you have to ask a staff member to get it taken out if you even want to look at it. Other than perhaps the occasional person going, "hey! What's in that black case back there?!" I doubt many people will even know the game was released. Not really sure why they even bothered. Unless the hardcore Platinum game fanboys really make the effort to find this game I expect it to do Onechanbara Wii type sales.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm not sure why Madworld wouldn't bomb. it's a Spike game. Spike. When did we start having expectations of Spike-published games breaking 10k? :p

Vinnk

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not sure why Madworld wouldn't bomb. it's a Spike game. Spike. When did we start having expectations of Spike-published games breaking 10k? :p

10k would be a miracle. I was thinking it could do 5k. After going to those stores, 2k seems a bit more likely.

But how is it in the bigger cities? Perhaps some of the bigger chains have easier access to the game. Were there any ads at all?

Vinnk said:
10k would be a miracle. I was thinking it could do 5k. After going to those stores, 2k seems a bit more likely.

But how is it in the bigger cities? Perhaps some of the bigger chains have easier access to the game. Were there any ads at all?

The photos from upthread would suggest that at least some stores have what look like reasonable (if small-ish) displays for the game...

schuelma

Vinnk said:
No supply problems here. Not a lot of copies in the stores, but if you wanted one, you could get it. Haven't seen any used copies yet, but I haven't really been looking.

Madworld is gonna bomb hard. Only two stores in my town are even stocking it and at both of them the (few) copies are behind a counter and being stored on their sides (so you can't see the cover) you have to ask a staff member to get it taken out if you even want to look at it. Other than perhaps the occasional person going, "hey! What's in that black case back there?!" I doubt many people will even know the game was released. Not really sure why they even bothered. Unless the hardcore Platinum game fanboys really make the effort to find this game I expect it to do Onechanbara Wii type sales.

What about Reginleiv?

Somnid

Chris1964 said:

According to Nintendo IR Q&A, Style Savvy doesn't seem to be doing that bad. It started really slow but has been fairly consistent seller. Apparently it picked up in the holiday season but because retailers were iffy about re-stocking due to slow initial sales they started running out of stock. Nintendo internally tracks it at about 300k in Europe and the US. Plus Nintendo's doing a new ad campaign with Beyonce showing off her new clothing line which is a downloadable in the game. I could easily see the Layton effect here.

Tomodachi Collection could do even better as it's very Sims-like and not gender focused. I don't see how it's anymore Japanese-centric than most of Nintendo's games. The Miis still bow, you can buy them curry-rice and they like karaoke but it's still perfectly understandable to a western audience. I'd say that it's pretty much a given that it'll be released outside Japan with the sales it's getting.

One place where Tomodachi Collection can get held up in is the voice synthesis. Japanese is very phonetic and so it works really well. English not-so-much. That feature will at the very least need some alterations.

Top Bottom