• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 11 - 17, 2010

Shadow780 said:
I'm pretty sure it won't be released outside of Japan unless it's OG3 because of the licensing mess.

i imported them in the past so i'll definitely do the same if they ever make one for the ps3 since it'll probably be the only way... im just kinda bummed there aren't that many mecha anime fans in north america so that they can release them here. these games are so huge in Japan.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
farnham said:
the retail meeting was canceled.. but it probably would have been at that meeting

I thought the retailer meeting was supposed to still be on, but maybe it got cancelled since we haven't heard a word about any release dates (the Wii budget releases were announced on the Nintendo site I think).

Was there ever a time where a game turned the graces of a console around?

I started following sales-age in mid 2008, and I was under the impression that a few titles on the Nintendo DS really turned the handheld's fortune around. Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, NSMB DS, I was under the impression that these titles attracted the userbase and third parties really jumped aboard after them.

I know the wii has had a lot of system sellers, but maybe this is what it's lacking right now.

gogogow

Stumpokapow said:
The current MS US Platinum Hits box arts are much nicer.
If it wasn't for that ugly green logo on every platinum box it would've been on par with the PS3 ones. "Greatness is Earned" is also damn cheesy. Therefore the PS3 greatest hits still has the best boxart designs.
21e2k9z.jpg

ps3606.jpg

schuelma said:
I thought the retailer meeting was supposed to still be on, but maybe it got cancelled since we haven't heard a word about any release dates (the Wii budget releases were announced on the Nintendo site I think).

I think it was said that a sort of special announcement was canned, and moved to become an exclusive for the next Nintendo Dream (Feb 21st), while the retail meeting itself was still on for today or tomorrow or something, but with the budget line (and Zangeki featuring a black box to boot) must've been from the said meeting.

gogogow said:
If it wasn't for that ugly green logo on every platinum box it would've been on par with the PS3 ones. "Greatness is Earned" is also damn cheesy. Therefore the PS3 greatest hits still has the best boxart designs.

semiregular said that MMV's ARF site claims that the Wii ones are actually sleeves of sorts (I imagine it's like Phantom Brave Wii's situation in NA, sleeve with the NA cover, and the actual case with the Japanese art on the inside, and Disney's DVD releases).

So in a sense, the Wii ones would be the best since you can just throw out the sleeves and never care about them. :p

schuelma

Sohter.Nura said:
I know the wii has had a lot of system sellers, but maybe this is what it's lacking right now.

Its still early, but NSMB Wii seems to be somewhat of a system seller- it led to a holiday comparable to 2007 and so far the hardware is holding up much better than last year at this time.

C-Jo

gogogow said:

Best box art, maybe. Worst boxes, definitely.

Sohter.Nura said:
Was there ever a time where a game turned the graces of a console around?

I started following sales-age in mid 2008, and I was under the impression that a few titles on the Nintendo DS really turned the handheld's fortune around. Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, NSMB DS, I was under the impression that these titles attracted the userbase and third parties really jumped aboard after them.

DS was never in particularly bad shape. I think a better example would be how Monster Hunter boosted flagging PSP sales for a good while.

schuelma

Pureauthor said:
DS was never in particularly bad shape. I think a better example would be how Monster Hunter boosted flagging PSP sales for a good while.

Simpifying a bit, but Monster Hunter basically led to a complete resurgance hardware wise for about a year and a 3rd party softrware resurgence that is going stronger than ever.

Really remarkable.

gogogow

C-Jo said:
Best box art, maybe. Worst boxes, definitely.
You talking about the 360 ones? The problem is that MS uses different dvd boxes, some are marays, other are flexboxes and some are no name boxes.

semiregular said:
Those are voted by players on the Minna no Nintendo Channel. I personally don't find those to be very accurate, usually games gear towards a more 'core' audience will have better ratings... SMG only has gold (or silver, I have to check it again) while ToG has platinum for pete's sake.
Yeah, who could imagine Japanese Wii owners rating one of the few decent RPGs on the system higher than a game that makes them vomit buckets.

C-Jo

gogogow said:
You talking about the 360 ones? The problem is that MS uses different dvd boxes, some are marays, other are flexboxes and some are no name boxes.

Nah, I meant the ugly red PS3 boxes.

gogogow said:
21e2k9z.jpg

ps3606.jpg

yeah i love the red boxes for the greatest hit releases. u can tell its a greatest hit by the color of the box. simple and elegant design decision imo.

schuelma

Meier said:
Pretty nice hold for BBS.

Yeah not bad, though remember it looks better because the 1st week was only 2 days.

On another note, going by thdrill leak, FF13 took a big hit- if SE hasn't shipped 2M by now I don't think it will make it.

schuelma said:
Simpifying a bit, but Monster Hunter basically led to a complete resurgance hardware wise for about a year and a 3rd party softrware resurgence that is going stronger than ever.

Really remarkable.

Right. I think this is what the Wii needs, something like Monster Hunter on the PSP which will make people reaaaally play the system.

I honestly thought in 2009 that Monster Hunter 3 was going to do that for the Wii, but boy was I wrong. It sold really well, but it didn't do what I thought it was going to do for the system.

gogogow

schuelma said:
Yeah not bad, though remember it looks better because the 1st week was only 2 days.

On another note, going by thdrill leak, FF13 took a big hit- if SE hasn't shipped 2M by now I don't think it will make it.
It will never make it to 2m. The total sales is around 1.86m. It will crawl to 1.9 and that's pretty much it. Also the shops must be filled to the brim with used copies by now, so yeah, that's pretty much it.

C-Jo

Sohter.Nura said:
Right. I think this is what the Wii needs, something like Monster Hunter on the PSP which will make people reaaaally play the system.

I honestly thought in 2009 that Monster Hunter 3 was going to do that for the Wii, but boy was I wrong. It sold really well, but it didn't do what I thought it was going to do for the system.

I think a lot of people thought that, but I can't ever see a console Monster Hunter having the same impact as a portable one. That success of that series hinges on the culture grown around face to face multiplayer.

schuelma

gogogow said:
It will never make it to 2m. The total sales is around 1.86m. It will crawl to 1.9 and that's pretty much it. Also the shops must be filled to the brim with used copies by now, so yeah, that's pretty much it.

Well it depends- much like Monster Hunter, if SE shipped 2 million+ it will eventually get there, even if it takes huge discounting. But yes, if we're just looking at the normal drop off it looks unlikely.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The red PS3 boxes look terrible on the shelf. Not only because they're red and thus clash with the clear PS3 boxes, but also because while the clear PS3 boxes and blue Blu-Ray boxes are semitransluscent (as were the red HD-DVD boxes), the PS3 greatest hits boxes are much less transparent, almost totally opaque. Ugh.

duckroll

gogogow said:

When FFX-2 sold 20k on its 8th week, it was only at 1.83 million. Eventually it sold 1.96 million. It didn't even get to 1.9 million before it fell off the top30. So yeah, it's entirely possible for FFXIII to break 2 million. :p

Stumpokapow said:
The red PS3 boxes look terrible on the shelf. Not only because they're red and thus clash with the clear PS3 boxes, but also because while the clear PS3 boxes and blue Blu-Ray boxes are semitransluscent (as were the red HD-DVD boxes), the PS3 greatest hits boxes are much less transparent, almost totally opaque. Ugh.

I disagree. I love the red transparant boxes. U can easily identify its a greatest hits visually. plus ninja gaiden sigma greatest hits red box looks damn sexy imo.

Shadow780

Garl_Vinland said:
i imported them in the past so i'll definitely do the same if they ever make one for the ps3 since it'll probably be the only way... im just kinda bummed there aren't that many mecha anime fans in north america so that they can release them here. these games are so huge in Japan.

I don't know. I get the feeling that the fan base is big enough, with two decades following up, and the uprise of so many Japan-centric cons throughout the US. The game series definitely has a niche following at least good enough for Atlus to consider it.

I think the only thing is the licensing issue, especially the Macross stuff, though I'm not sure what other series are in congestion of it too, probably the older series, and whatnot.

Spiegel

schuelma said:

For comparison:

01./01. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) - 612,671 / 2,932,000 (-74%)
02./01. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 137,093 / 657,000 (-74%)
01./01. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix) - 106,104 / 401,000 (-64%)
01. / 01. [PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Square Enix) - 177.000 / 623.000 (-60%)

Shadow780 said:
I don't know. I get the feeling that the fan base is big enough, with two decades following up, and the uprise of so many Japan-centric cons throughout the US.

I think the only thing is the licensing issue, especially the Macross stuff, though I'm not sure what other series are in congestion of it too.

yeah i do know its getting better. the Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed are pretty popular in north america. but i still think most of north america is pretty indifferent about anime gaming in general. most anime games don't sell that well here, and they sell buckloads in Japan, especially those Gundam ones.

semiregular

Neo Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, who could imagine Japanese Wii owners rating one of the few decent RPGs on the system higher than a game that makes them vomit buckets.

Yeah, I know... It's just weird for me because personally I felt ToG isn't really that good, and SMG is a universally well-reviewed game.

(Oh and I just checked the channel again and I was wrong. ToG is gold and SMG is silver. 428 is the only game rated platinum currently)

gogogow

duckroll said:
When FFX-2 sold 20k on its 8th week, it was only at 1.83 million. Eventually it sold 1.96 million. It didn't even get to 1.9 million before it fell off the top30. So yeah, it's entirely possible for FFXIII to break 2 million. :p

SE should have announced weekly DLC for FFXIII, quests, costumes, whatever, so that people will keep their copies. While it's possible for FFXIII to crawl to 2m, it's still highly unlikely since the used market is probably much bigger than 7 years ago when FFX-2 was released. And the overall FF brand is just not what it's used to be.

linsivvi

semiregular said:
(Oh and I just checked the channel again and I was wrong. ToG is gold and SMG is silver. 428 is the only game rated platinum currently)

So I guess the Famitsu review was correct after all? :lol

Shadow780

Garl_Vinland said:
yeah i do know its getting better. the Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed are pretty popular in north america. but i still think most of north america is pretty indifferent about anime gaming in general. most anime games don't sell that well here, and they sell buckloads in Japan, especially those Gundam ones.

Gurren Lagen's pretty big here too, I think?

and Macross Frontier have a big following?

I'm not big on mecha like before, so I'm not sure what's the new hotness right now.

Jeels

duckroll said:

I swear, people still assume that games stop selling once they are off the top 30. We get the same thing in NPD threads.

So awesome seeing BBS rank number one two weeks in a row. Hopefully it keeps going at it, well deserved.

Shadow780 said:
Gurren Lagen's pretty big here too, I think?

and Macross Frontier have a big following?

I'm not big on mecha like before, so I'm not sure what's the new hotness right now.

yeah Gurren Lagen is probably the hottest mecha anime today. like i see Naruto, Avatar and DBZ being made into games this generation but no other anime game except for DW Gundam. and then u have the other end of the spectrum where u have a strategy RPG like Valkyria Chronicles being made into an anime. like i wanna see more anime-like games being made for the ps3. but it seems like lot of those developers are concentrating their efforts on the DS and PSP instead of making an awesome HD anime-like game.

duckroll

gogogow said:
SE should have announced weekly DLC for FFXIII, quests, costumes, whatever, so that people will keep their copies. While it's possible for FFXIII to crawl to 2m, it's still highly unlikely since the used market is probably much bigger than 7 years ago when FFX-2 was released. And the overall FF brand is just not what it's used to be.

FFXIII will sell whatever it has shipped. That's the only factor which is unknown right now. If it shipped over 2 million, it will sell 2 million eventually. If it didn't it won't. No other factors really matter much honestly. The used market and the FF brand are things which impact sales up until now. Once it goes past a certain period for front loaded games, the only deciding factor in the final sales is how many units the publisher managed to ship into the retail channel. It's not like anyone is expecting retailers to order MORE FFXIII in the near future. If we were, then yes, that decision would be affected by the used market, and the continuous sales power the FF brand has.

gogogow

duckroll said:
FFXIII will sell whatever it has shipped. That's the only factor which is unknown right now. If it shipped over 2 million, it will sell 2 million eventually.
So Bionic Commando will sell 500k eventually? :p

duckroll

gogogow said:

The US retail market and the JP retail market is very different. You can't return stock, so overshipping a bomb by a huge margin generally does not happen. In general, final sales are pretty close to the total shipment. Obviously it's not precisely that. ASH is a good example. Nintendo managed to ship about 200k into retail, and it bombed with 50k or so sold in the first week. After a huge price slash week after week, it eventually sold over 150k.

C-Jo

gogogow said:

That's not actually that far fetched. It's been available for $10-$20 for some time now and it's only going to be discounted further. I would imagine that it will eventually sell the majority of its initial shipment.

gogogow

duckroll said:
The US retail market and the JP retail market is very different. You can't return stock, so overshipping a bomb by a huge margin generally does not happen. In general, final sales are pretty close to the total shipment. Obviously it's not precisely that. ASH is a good example. Nintendo managed to ship about 200k into retail, and it bombed with 50k or so sold in the first week. After a huge price slash week after week, it eventually sold over 150k.
I see, that's interesting. If SE haven't shipped 2m copies by now, it's probably gameover for FFXIII (?). Like you said, which retailer would want to order more copies by now/in the near future (when they have enough new and used copies)?

Stumpokapow said:

Its a badge of dishonour for those that can't afford or aren't will to pay full price.

Jokeropia

If SE had shipped 2 million, wouldn't we have heard about it?
gogogow said:
It's too small and Nintendo is using the boxart in boxart style (double "Wii" strip), which is really ugly. And the huge 2,800 yen on the front cover makes things even worse than it already is.
->
semiregular said:
The boxart you see on the website is a paper sleeve on the outside. The actually boxart is exactly the same as the original release.

http://www.mmv.co.jp/special/game/wii/arcrise/
(MMV's website for the budget release of Arc Rise Fantasia)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Next week releases (28/01/10)

[NDS] Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reviere (Square Enix)
[NDS] Romance of the Three Kingdoms DS 3 (Sega)
[NDS] Lively Garden (Marvelous Entertainment)
[NDS] Game Book DS: Koukaku no Regios (Broccoli)
[NDS] Professor Kageyama's Method: Dennou Hanpuku - Chiri - Rekishi - Koumin - Maru x Maru Shakaika (Shogakukan)
[NDS] Shogi World Champion: Gekisashi DS (NCS)
[NDS] Dragon Ball: Origins (Welcome Price) (Namco Bandai)

[PSP] Tenchu: Kurenai Portable (From Software)
[PSP] 11 Eyes: Cross Over (5pb.)
[PSP] Mirai Nikki: 13 Hitome no Nikki Shoyuusha (Kadokawa Shoten)
[PSP] Arcobaleno! Portable (Idea Factory)
[PSP] Dengeki no Pilot: Tenkuu no Kizuna (Best Media)
[PSP] Machi-Ing Maker 3 x Tousouchuu (D3 Publisher)
[PSP] Loopop Cube: Loop Salad Portable - Matatabi (Dimple Entertainment)
[PSP] The Idolmaster SP: Perfect Sun / Missing Moon / Wandering Star (PSP the Best) (Namco Bandai)
[PSP] Tales of Destiny 2 (PSP the Best) (Namco Bandai)
[PSP] Tales of Rebirth (PSP the Best) (Namco Bandai)
[PSP] Silent Hill: Origins (Konami the Best) (Konami)
[PSP] Need for Speed: Undercover (EA Best Hits) (Electronic Arts Victor)

[WII] Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars (Capcom)
[WII] Dance Dance Revolution: Music Fit (Konami)

[PS3] Resonance of Fate (Sega)
[PS3] Ar tonelico III: Sekai Shuuen no Hikigane wa Shoujo no Uta ga Hajiku (Namco Bandai)
[PS3] MAG: Massive Action Game (SCE)
[PS3] WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2010 (THQ)
[PS3] Last Rebellion (Nippon Ichi Software)
[PS3] Fight Night Round 4 (Eigoban) (Electronic Arts Victor)
[PS3] Need for Speed Undercover (EA Best Hits) (Electronic Arts Victor)

[360] Resonance of Fate (Sega)
[360] WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2010 (THQ)
[360] Stoked (Russel)
[360] Fight Night Round 4 (Eigoban) (Electronic Arts Victor)

[PS2] Princess Saver! Eternal Love for My Lady (Comfort)
[PS2] Silent Hill 4: The Room (Konami Dendou Selection) (Konami)
[PS2] Need for Speed Undercover (EA:SY! 1980) (Electronic Arts Victor)

This week looks good for the prediction league.

wsippel

Banned
schuelma said:
Wasn't the retailer meeting supposed to be tomorrow?

schuelma

wsippel said:
Wasn't the retailer meeting supposed to be tomorrow?

I have no clue what that blog says, I just assumed it was supposed to be last night since its always on a Thursday.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
schuelma said:
I have no clue what that blog says, I just assumed it was supposed to be last night since its always on a Thursday.

The owner of the blog went to the Nintendo business meeting
http://gamesmaya.blog98.fc2.com/blog-date-20100122.html
but nothing important seems to have shown from Nintendo.

Nintendo will give quarter results in less than a week. If even there are no new announcements Nintendo will have nothing from now until Golden Week for Wii except for Zangeki no Reginkleiv.

schuelma

Chris1964 said:
Nintendo will give quarter results in less than a week. If even there are no new announcements Nintendo will have nothing from now until Golden Week for Wii except for Zangeki no Reginkleiv.

:lol So much for Nintendo learning their lesson from last year. Fortunately for them NSMB Wii is a monster, but man, I never thought they would have a worse Q1 lineup than last year.

botticus

schuelma said:
:lol So much for Nintendo learning their lesson from last year. Fortunately for them NSMB Wii is a monster, but man, I never thought they would have a worse Q1 lineup than last year.
I'm sure Iwata will once again vow not to make the same mistake for the third year in a row next year.

duckroll

schuelma said:

Well to be honest, I don't think this is Nintendo not wanting to release anything. As a developer and publisher they can only do so much. If games they are publishing are not ready because other developers are taking their time (hellooooo Cosmic Walker!) then aside from pressuring the developer to hurry up, Nintendo can't do much more. As for their first party output, most of their games sell very well and they have a few titles a year.

The problem is clearly that outside of Nintendo, third party support for the Wii is really drying up and is pretty much dead. Look at the upcoming preorder list for all consoles: http://gmstar.com/yoyakulist.html

That's really, really sad. It's not funny, just sad. Even a publisher like MMV now has more upcoming PS360 games than Wii games. So yeah, it's certainly a problem and something Nintendo probably wants to fix but they might honestly not know how.

Top Bottom