• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 11 - 17, 2010

Sadist

d+pad said:
Isn't it likely that some of these Wii titles have been killed (for whatever reason)?

Cosmic Walker
Kensax
Line Attack Heroes
Span Smasher
Start With 100 Conversations
This one will release this year. It's already in the Europe line-up for 2010 according to Nintendo's site. Don't know about Japan though.

duckroll said:
Now I'm not saying this is what Galaxy 2 is going through. It could totally be complete and just sitting on Iwata's desk waiting for him to decide to hit a big red launch button. I'm simply saying that just because it was almost finish in September does not mean it is automatically able to make an April date.

I agree. It is far from to be completed because they are implementing Super Mario World or Yoshi Island in it for bonus levels :D

We don't know what it did in America for December, so it's hard to judge how well DSC did. It could very well have rebounded a lot.

semiregular said:
So the wii is going to have a best of series afterall

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/selection/index.html

Oboromuramasa
Arc Rise Fantasia​
Family Ski World: Ski and Snowboard (We Ski and Snowboard)
One Piece: Unlimited Cruise: Episode 1
Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World)
Dragon Ball Z: Sparking! Meteor (Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3)

25/2 on sale for 2800yen

Can some of these games come back to the charts?

Bel Marduk said:
Can some of these games come back to the charts?

Uh, yes?

Assuming the re-releases sell enough for one of the trackers to record (and the bar is pretty low there) then we should see them. I wouldn't have thought you're talking about more than another 10-20k for some of the releases, but I'm prepared to be surprised!

Cosmonaut X said:
Uh, yes?

Assuming the re-releases sell enough for one of the trackers to record (and the bar is pretty low there) then we should see them. I wouldn't have thought you're talking about more than another 10-20k for some of the releases, but I'm prepared to be surprised!

If the games even sell like 10k-20k more I'd be happy lol. But I want sales to be closer to 20-30k+ :p Especially for DotNW and ARF.

d+pad said:
Isn't it likely that some of these Wii titles have been killed (for whatever reason)?

Cosmic Walker
Kensax
Line Attack Heroes
Span Smasher
Start With 100 Conversations

Yeah, we haven't heard about them for a while. But I wouldn't read too much into it. We didn't hear from Reginleif either for about a year after it was announced. Plus, as was said before, two of those were at E3.

Bel Marduk said:
If the games even sell like 10k-20k more I'd be happy lol. But I want sales to be closer to 20-30k+ :p Especially for DotNW and ARF.

I think you'll get your wish. I think The Best/budget re-releases usually have good legs and sell decent enough if they appeal to the JP gamers and DOTNW being a Tales game should easily sell 30k on the budget titles, might have to wait for the Famitsu/MC Top 500 in 2010 to see it though.

EDIT: Any numbers for VC2 1st day? I'm expecting around 80k 1st week.

Eteric Rice

Stumpokapow said:
but RPGs found plenty of success on the DS, plenty of success on the PSP, plenty of success when Microsoft moneyhatted them, and plenty of success in this new post-PS3 Slim world...

Provided--note that I don't think this is going to happen but I'm indulging your hypothetical--that Natal and the Wand take off and thus game sales are not significantly impeded by low hardware bases, why shouldn't developers follow that strategy?

I mean, if the Wii's feature set is:
+ Motion controls
+ Large user base
- User base doesn't buy Company X's games
- Low horsepower

and the Natal/Wand feature set is:
+ Motion controls
+ High horsepower
+ Enthusiastic user base
- Small user base

why not develop for the twins and downport to the Wii?

I meant earlier on. I think RPGs would have done quite well on the Wii if third parties hadn't ignored it. It's to late now, though. It's sad when you're the market leader but can't get any of the support.

Note: I still think ToG was fucked because it released a week before FFXIII.

Point two is why buy a Wii when you can get a 360 or PS3 with motion controls, HD, blu-ray, etc? While the Wii does have Wii Sports and stuff, you know damn well that MS and Sony will have their own as well as core games using it (if they can convince devs to do it, which I think they will).

What I'm really saying is that when the PS3 and 360 get their motion controls, it will likely make it impossible to convince core gamers to buy a Wii from then on. Once that happens, you might not even be able to get the one or two core games we get sometimes on the Wii.

And if they make use of Sony's motion controls, third parties might just ignore the Wii completely. Why put these games on the Wii when you can go all out on the PS Wand?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Damn I just don't know what game they could possibly get to entice core Japanese gamers over to the Wii that will come out after the mighty Sony Wand and XBOX Natal launch in late 2010.

Dragon Quest X

Oh but since this is GAF you're all half convinced it'll never come out on Wii despite being announced for it. :lol

Eteric Rice

Man God said:
Damn I just don't know what game they could possibly get to entice core Japanese gamers over to the Wii that will come out after the mighty Sony Wand and XBOX Natal launch in late 2010.

Dragon Quest X

Oh but since this is GAF you're all half convinced it'll never come out on Wii despite being announced for it. :lol

Like someone else said, it's possible DQX might just cause a temporary bump and then have it die off. It might not pull any RPG support at all.

Man God said:

Dragon Quest X

Even assuming DQX comes to the system - and I'm sure it will - what difference is it really going to make?

Yes, it will sell huge numbers - as DQ games do - but it isn't going to drag more "core" games to the system, any more than FFXIII would have done for the PS3 if it had had a comparable release list to the Wii these past two years.

Wii owners will buy it, DQ fans and gamers who don't own the system will buy it and a Wii but in the end it is one release that will not lead to a flood of support, or some kind of influx of "core" gamers - why would they come and stay if there is Dragon Quest X and... nothing else?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Cosmonaut X said:
Even assuming DQX comes to the system - and I'm sure it will - what difference is it really going to make?

Yes, it will sell huge numbers - as DQ games do - but it isn't going to drag more "core" games to the system, any more than FFXIII would have done for the PS3 if it had had a comparable release list to the Wii these past two years.

Wii owners will buy it, DQ fans and gamers who don't own the system will buy it and a Wii but in the end it is one release that will not lead to a flood of support, or some kind of influx of "core" gamers - why would they come and stay if there is Dragon Quest X and... nothing else?

The impact DQ X could have had would have been leading other publishers/developers to start making games for the system.

Clearly that hasn't happened.

Eteric Rice

Cosmonaut X said:

They would actually have to attempt to get other developers to make an RPG for the system, and try to sell them after DQX was released in order to get that fanbase to stay.

I don't think Nintendo is willing to do this, though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Most likely is that DQ X comes out for the Wii right around the time the next Nintendo system comes out, so any development spurred by it will not be on the Wii.

It will get an absolutely massive number of systems sold for a month or so, especially if they release a DQ X bundle.

schuelma

PSP 71,186
Wii 57,349
PS3 35,156
DSi LL 30,418
DSi 27,292
DS Lite 6,574
Xbox 360 4,622
PS2 2,580
PSP go 2,027

schuelma

For console comparisons, last week for this roughly equivalent week Wii was at 32K, PS3 at 21K.

Man God said:
Most likely is that DQ X comes out for the Wii right around the time the next Nintendo system comes out, so any development spurred by it will not be on the Wii.

It will get an absolutely massive number of systems sold for a month or so, especially if they release a DQ X bundle.

This is what I see as well. It'll come too late to matter.

Actually what would be a real megaton would be having it as a launch/near launch title for the Wii 2.

Btw, I wonder how low will the PS3 and Wii go? The PS3 is already in the 30ks and the Wii is in the 50ks (which is very respectable though). Well a YoY improvement is great for both.

19k drop-off for Wii, 26k drop-off for PS3... wonder where they're going to level out.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, at the very least, there were lots of commercials on TV.

Mm. I think it's more of a "lack of demand for a sequel" issue than anything else...

Brofist

Bel Marduk said:
This is what I see as well. It'll come too late to matter.

Actually what would be a real megaton would be having it as a launch/near launch title for the Wii 2.

Btw, I wonder how low will the PS3 and Wii go? The PS3 is already in the 30ks and the Wii is in the 50ks (which is very respectable though). Well a YoY improvement is great for both.
I don't think the PS3 number will drop too low, as there are games coming out soon. There really was nothing last week and the FFXIII push is over.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
That's a much better hold for Wii than I was expecting, I thought it would be down closer to PS3.

Y2Kev said:
Why is the PSP on fire?

Valkyria 2 please god? :(
Some FF/Disney thing came out last week.. :p

Jeels

Out of curiosity, what is carrying the Wii sales week over week, is it anticipation for future titles (none that I know of, at least anytime soon), or is it that high solely because of the Mario release.

Road

That's actually a pretty steep drop for the PS3 (the same week FFXIII plummets, too...).

The good news for it is games are coming out to save it.

Jeels said:
Out of curiosity, what is carrying the Wii sales week over week, is it anticipation for future titles (none that I know of, at least anytime soon), or is it that high solely because of the Mario release.

At the moment, I think it's a combination of the residual effects of the holiday bump (traditionally good for Nintendo systems) and NSMB Wii being something of a system-seller.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Jeels said:
:lol

Cosmonaut X said:
At the moment, I think it's a combination of the residual effects of the holiday bump (traditionally good for Nintendo systems) and NSMB Wii being something of a system-seller.
And don't Nintendo systems traditionally drop harder than the others around this time due to that?

What we're seeing is purely the NSMB Wii monster.

schuelma

kpop100 said:
I don't think the PS3 number will drop too low, as there are games coming out soon. There really was nothing last week and the FFXIII push is over.

Well, we'll have to see..I agree these titles might slow a drop off, but we're not exactly talking huge huge titles here- NSMB Wii will sell more Q1 than all of them.

Is this the lowest PS3 week post Slim?

mclem

schuelma said:
PSP 71,186
Wii 57,349
PS3 35,156
DSi LL 30,418
DSi 27,292
DS Lite 6,574
Xbox 360 4,622
PS2 2,580
PSP go 2,027

I'm starting to think that the DSi LL should go down in business textbooks as an impeccable example of how best to diversify your product range.

Jeels

Sage00 said:

I was giving it the benefit of the doubt. :0 I don't usually keep up with JP release dates.

I think this Mario bump could last for quite awhile. It seems to have single-handedly turned around the console's situation in Japan.

Culex

Banned
Wow, kinda shocked the Wii is selling so high. Where are all those people proclaiming the PS3 outselling the Wii out of the gate for 2010?

Agnates

Banned
schuelma said:
PSP 71,186
Wii 57,349
PS3 35,156
DSi LL 30,418
DSi 27,292
DS Lite 6,574
Xbox 360 4,622
PS2 2,580
PSP go 2,027
Wow, it's almost as if the sales will stabilise to pre-PS3 pricecut levels if they keep going down like that for the home consoles... Lol.

Brofist

schuelma said:
Well, we'll have to see..I agree these titles might slow a drop off, but we're not exactly talking huge huge titles here- NSMB Wii will sell more Q1 than all of them.

Is this the lowest PS3 week post Slim?
I thought there was a sub 30k week already but I could be wrong.

Yeah I agree the titles coming out are not huge system sellers or anything, but they should keep the baseline at least in the 20s.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Culex said:
Wow, kinda shocked the Wii is selling so high. Where are all those people proclaiming the PS3 outselling the Wii out of the gate for 2010?
No one expected NSMB Wii to do for Wii hardware what it has, except those wildly flailing in Nintendo's direction.

Analogous to the lead up and aftermath of the PS3 slim launch.

Boney

Banned
Hey guys, I'm curious of Last Window's status. The original Hotel Dusk debuted quite strongly at 60k when it came out and reached LTD sales of over 200k, which was a huge succes, right?

So what was Last Window's problem? It's not on Wii, which generally has trouble keeping up with the sales of it's previously released games (DSC omited). This is the DS we are talking about, in which every game released is gold. Could it be the synergy produced between Mario and Kingdom Hearts has taken the attention from LW? Or maybe previous players didn't like Hotel Dusk enough to get into the sequel?

I'm really curious what you people think was the trouble was with the game, (if there was any trouble, for all we know it could be a new Tomodachi)

ksamedi

cvxfreak said:
NSMB Wii is going to sustain Wii sales for a long time.

This week proves that.

Agreed but we shouldn't forget other factors like Wii Sports Resort, Wiifit+, Mario Kart. All of them seem to have long legs.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
31. / 26. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Square Enix)
32. / 27. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
33. / 24. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai)
34. / 21. [NDS] Pen 1 Grand Prix: A Penguin's Trouble Special (Konami)
35. / 28. [NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami)
36. / 38. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Legendary Hits) (Activision)
37. / 31. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)
38. / 42. [PS3] Yakuza 3 (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Sega)
39. / 29. [PSP] Naruto: Shippuden Narutimate Accelerator 3 (Namco Bandai)
40. / 46. [WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii DX (Hudson)
41. / 36. [PSP] Queen's Blade: Spiral Chaos (Namco Bandai)
42. / 00. [360] Batman: Arkham Asylum (Square Enix)
43. / 37. [PS3] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft)
44. / 30. [WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai)
45. / 35. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo)
46. / 33. [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade: Bakutan Cyber Pegasus (Hudson)
47. / 00. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
48. / 00. [NDS] Monster Busters (Namco Bandai)
49. / 40. [NDS] Love Plus (Konami)
50. / 34. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo)

00. / 00. [ALL] Weekly Software Sales (All Publishers) - 1.195.503 / 5.386.134 (-32%)

NDS - 16
WII - 14
PSP - 9
PS3 - 8
360 - 2
PS2 - 1

HARDWARE

Code:
|  NDS  |     64.284  |    105.466  |    350.242  |  29.448.830  |
|  WII  |     57.349  |     76.772  |    297.976  |   9.739.320  |
|  PS3  |     35.156  |     61.591  |    211.115  |   4.598.114  |
|  360  |      4.622  |      5.461  |     16.961  |   1.219.755  |
|  PS2  |      2.580  |      3.092  |      9.695  |  21.615.849  |
------------------------------------------------------------------
|  DSi  |     27.292  |     50.178  |    169.931  |   4.416.416  |
| DSiLL |     30.418  |     45.221  |    146.282  |     582.546  |
|  DSL  |      6.574  |     10.067  |     34.029  |  17.864.397  |
|  PSP  |     71.186  |    145.682  |    349.779  |  13.964.823  |
| PSPgo |      2.027  |      2.840  |      8.770  |      80.622  |

Jeels said:

Zangeki no REGINLEIV!!! Definitely...

zangekinoreginleivboxar.jpg

Red box art is back again :D

test_account

XP-39C²
The PSP might reach 14 million units sold next week :) I also noticed some cool sales milestones will be reach by the DS, the Wii and the PS3 "soon". The DS will reach 30 million units sold, the Wii will reach 10 million units sold and the PS3 will reach 5 million units sold :)

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
May be too soon to tell, but it looks as thought NSMBWii is pushing hardware. Good job, Big Ninty.

Top Bottom