• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 4 - 10, 2010

Segata Sanshiro said:
As far as I can recall, it shipped between 200k and 210k, so no, I doubt it will be going anywhere past 212k.

For all the people laughing at either side of the "FFXIII 2 million - will it/won't it?" debate, you should probably keep it to yourselves. At this point it really could go either way.

Depending where it's at next week (I estimate that it is most likely just passed the 200,000 mark this week), we'll see if they actually did put out even a minor second shipment.

I would find it odd that they would wait until the last minute to start preparing another shipment, and doing so cannot be a good idea. Hell the way it's been steady or even very possibly rising up in weekly sales ever so slightly should've told BN to start preparing another shipment, because if it is indeed past the 200K mark, the 1st shipment must be just about bone dry.

It'd just have to sell 12,000 next week to match DOTNW, I think it has a shot if there are enough copies available.

Let's just see for a sec; it was at 177,000 two weeks ago, it probably sold another 13,000 the following week making it 190,000, this week it almost surely did at least 10,000, putting it at the 200K mark, only a possible puny 5-10K from the supposed shipment total, wouldn't copies be fucking scarce if it was that close to running dry?

Also, what was the 1st shipment of SW3?

duckroll

Damnit! BbS didn't hit 500k! Wait, wait! Maybe it sold 60k on PSN! Oh wait.... :lol

-_-

Great numbers, it should surpass the DS game's LTD by next week. See Nomura? This is why you should have new worlds and new characters in every game, instead of every other game. :p

Hero

FFXIII will crawl past the 2 million mark.

So just some food for thought for the discussion...

Do you think Capcom made more money with Monster Hunter 3 on Wii than Square-Enix did with FFXIII on PS3? Hmmm....

Terrell

Wow, look at Tales of Graces slowly rising from its deathbed like an osteoarthritic old man. Priced to move or good word of mouth?

mutsu

Terrell said:
Wow, look at Tales of Graces slowly rising from its deathbed like an osteoarthritic old man. Priced to move or good word of mouth?

Or people have finished FF13 and looking for an alternative to fill their RPG appetite?

duckroll

Terrell said:

Higher rank != more sales. Last week PSP2 was #9, the week before that it was #12. But it sold more in the week it was #12 than it did last week. :p

Hero said:
FFXIII will crawl past the 2 million mark.

So just some food for thought for the discussion...

Do you think Capcom made more money with Monster Hunter 3 on Wii than Square-Enix did with FFXIII on PS3? Hmmm....

Depends on how much money they made from online. I still think they made more even without the online fees.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Segata Sanshiro said:
As far as I can recall, it shipped between 200k and 210k, so no, I doubt it will be going anywhere past 212k.
Ah, good to know. So the real question is, again, whether it'll pass Tempest, not Symphonia Wii.

Hero of Legend said:
Depending where it's at next week (I estimate that it is most likely just passed the 200,000 mark this week), we'll see if they actually did put out even a minor second shipment.

I would find it odd that they would wait until the last minute to start preparing another shipment, and doing so cannot be a good idea. Hell the way it's been steady or even very possibly rising up in weekly sales ever so slightly should've told BN to start preparing another shipment, because if it is indeed past the 200K mark, the 1st shipment must be just about bone dry.

It'd just have to sell 12,000 next week to match DOTNW, I think it has a shot if there are enough copies available.

Let's just see for a sec; it was at 177,000 two weeks ago, it probably sold another 13,000 the following week making it 190,000, this week it almost surely did at least 10,000, putting it at the 200K mark, only a possible puny 5-10K from the supposed shipment total, wouldn't copies be fucking scarce if it was that close to running dry?

Also, what was the 1st shipment of SW3?
Used copies, Hero of Legend, Used copies.

Terrell

duckroll said:
Higher rank != more sales. Last week PSP2 was #9, the week before that it was #12. But it sold more in the week it was #12 than it did last week. :p
Usually I'd agree with you, but this is the 2nd week that the game has seen a small rise on the chart, and it's more likely it's moving a little more than EVERYTHING ELSE moving that much less. This is a sent-to-die Tales game on Wii we're talking about, remember.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Media Create comparisons

After 1 week
[PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Square Enix) - 446.000 / 446.000
[NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix) - 295.205 / 295.205
[PS2] Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ (Square Enix) - 173.212 / 173.212
[PS2] Kingdom Hearts II (Square Enix) - 727.591 / 727.591
[GBA] Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (Square Enix) - 203.271 / 203.271
[PS2] Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix (Square) - 143.100 / 143.100

After 6 weeks
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 159.000 / 2.867.000
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 154.299 / 2.003.112

After 30 weeks
[NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 94.000 / 2.596.000
[NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 30.206 / 2.830.211

After 15 weeks
[WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 54.000 / 1.484.000
[WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 48.984 / 1.659.350

After 3 weeks
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 48.000 / 466.000
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 74.937 / 514.410

After 4 weeks
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 42.000 / 1.844.000
[PS2] Final Fantasy XII (Square Enix) - 38.125 / 2.125.978

There aren't comparison numbers for Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver and Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire / Blizzard

After 29 weeks
[WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 33.000 / 1.668.000
[WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 34.223 / 1.721.611

There aren't comparison numbers for Phantasy Star Portable 2

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kingdom Hearts really boosted PSP hardware. DS sold the same, Wii and PS3 are up, 360 and PS2 are down (comparing to last year).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
LINK.AGE76 said:
Isn't the Tomodachi number wrong? It sold up to 2,502,000 last week! and sold 94k this week, so how did it reach 2.9m?
The mistake is mine. The correct number is 2.596.000

Posted this last week, and looks like I wasn't far off (for once!):

I could be proven wrong (happened plenty of times this gen), but I think we're going to see a larger drop-off for week 4 than with previous installments - I'd say somewhere around 60%, for weekly sales of around 45-50k. After that, I reckon a couple of weeks at 25-30k and then a dropoff into sub-10k sales for a month plus.

If it does make 2 million, it will be by the skin of its teeth. I just don't see the sales pattern varying too much from previous games in the series, and I think this week may have just been a Christmas/New Year aberration.

There seem to be enough copies out there to get the game to the 2 million point, but I still think it's going to be a push given competition from used sales.

Opiate

Is there a real difference in quality / marketing between the PSP and DS games, or are they both considered to be of equal importance?

I ask because KH seems much more FF than it does DQ, and I'm trying to see if the DS/PSP disparity suggests that the PSP has a disproportionate number of KH fans.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Hero of Legend said:
How can that be if the numbers there and in the OP here are different?
Because like duckroll pointed out, he changes the numbers so he doesn't get caught.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Opiate said:
Is there a real difference in quality / marketing between the PSP and DS games, or are they both considered to be of equal importance?

I ask because KH seems much more FF than it does DQ, and I'm trying to see if the DS/PSP disparity suggests that the PSP has a disproportionate number of KH fans.
Why do you think PSP has bigger FF base from DS?

Linkup said:
FFX, FFX-2 numbers?
I'd like them too but that's everything I could find from Media Create. Before 2005 Media Create data are minimum.

jj984jj said:
Because like duckroll pointed out, he changes the numbers so he doesn't get caught.

Oh I see. But the question is, how much different are the numbers? Considering that Graces is 30 in the actual list, but 32 in the adjusted one (at 7700 while number 30 sold 9100), what's this guy's history in number adjustments?

Opiate said:

Quality, I haven't played the PSP one yet, but it looks like there's a difference. Marketing-wise, KH:BbS has been positioned as a proper installment (even going back to the code name "Kingdom Hearts Zero"), and at least from my anecdotal (and possibly heavily biased by the hours I watch TV) experience, has gotten considerably more advertising.

Though I do think there's something to be said for the PSP having a very Nomura-friendly audience.

Opiate said:

The DS game has the stigma of a spinoff, while the PSP game is considered to be a true successor to the franchise (content- and production-wise).
I'm not sure what the marketing effort for both was, though. I would guess it was more or less equal -- probably a little in favor for the PSP game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
duckroll said:
Great numbers, it should surpass the DS game's LTD by next week. See Nomura? This is why you should have new worlds and new characters in every game, instead of every other game. :p

See, but that takes effort and time. And money.

Opiate said:

Given that the DS version reused 95% of it's assets from the PS2 versions and by all accounts the PSP version doesn't, I'm gonna go with the 'Yes, there is a pretty big disparity' side.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
S-E efforts on PSP (Media Create)

[PSP] Dissidia: Final Fantasy (Square Enix) - 489.126 / 920.201
[PSP] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (Square Enix) - 486.659 / 784.595
[PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Square Enix) - 446.000 / 446.000
[PSP] Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (Square Enix) - 154.891 / 293.100
[PSP] Star Ocean: First Departure (Square Enix) - 105.014 / 197.808
[PSP] Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (Square Enix) - 70.084 / 151.166
[PSP] Star Ocean 2: Second Evolution (Square Enix) - 90.861 / 150.388
[PSP] Final Fantasy: Anniversary Edition (Square Enix) - 48.559 / 116.315
[PSP] Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable (Square Enix) - 48.342 / 107.592
[PSP] Final Fantasy II: Anniversary Edition (Square Enix) - 36.637 / 71.770
[PSP] Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (Ultimate Hits) (Square Enix) - 2.130 / 35.851
[PSP] Dissidia: Final Fantasy - Universal Tuning (Square Enix) - 19.009 / 35.033
[PSP] Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable (Ultimate Hits) (Square Enix) - 2.339 / 30.106

d+pad

Hmmm, is it me or is the Wii dropping more than the PS3 post-holidays? Regardless, it'll be interesting to see where things go from here. Will NSMBW hold Wii HW sales higher than PS3 for a while, or will PS3 take over?

I'm interested to hear about the supply situation re: NSMBW, too. Is it fairly accessible/available now, or is it still hard to find? If it's the latter, that could explain the drop in NSMBW and Wii HW sales--though both are bound to drop at some point, of course.

d+pad said:
Hmmm, is it me or is the Wii dropping more than the PS3 post-holidays? Regardless, it'll be interesting to see where things go from here. Will NSMBW hold Wii HW sales higher than PS3 for a while, or will PS3 take over?

I'm interested to hear about the supply situation re: NSMBW, too. Is it fairly accessible/available now, or is it still hard to find? If it's the latter, that could explain the drop in NSMBW and Wii HW sales--though both are bound to drop at some point, of course.
It's still hard to find. Or at least it was as of a few days ago.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
d+pad said:

The percentage drop is more or less the same. After all these aren't the exact Media Create numbers.
NSMBW remains in short supply and definetely affects Wii sales to a degree.

cvxfreak

2i1yu8l.jpg

2zgu93t.jpg

Used copies of FFXIII. I counted nearly 45 copies between two stores that are literally within 50 feet of each other.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hero of Legend said:
Oh I see. But the question is, how much different are the numbers? Considering that Graces is 30 in the actual list, but 32 in the adjusted one (at 7700 while number 30 sold 9100), what's this guy's history in number adjustments?
He doesn't seem to be adjusting the game's actual placement on the list (placement, not sales). Rather he just separated the two Pokemon games and the two Inazuma games. Hence why Graces is 32 rather than 30.

And of course if you wanted an idea of the guy's adjustment you could just compare the respective tops 10s (though I have no idea if you'll find any set pattern at all).

It's from this week we start counting hardware sales for 2010 ?

Anyway, as i already said last year, my bet is PS3 > Wii in 2010.
Last year i lost for just 200k, maybe this year i have more chances.

cvxfreak said:
Media Create Jan 4-10
01. / 00. [PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Square Enix) - 446.000 / NEW
Hmm. It can't be bad to do nearly like FF7:CC and Dissidia in a "2 days vs 4 days" scenario. Hell it beats (Famitsu number here since I don't know the MC one) the very first KH (411k) on PS2 (2vs4 scenario again). Yet I feel a bit disappointed. I really thought it had a chance at a million, now the bigger 2nd week (thanks to the 2vs4 scenario) could just offset the lesser 1st week. Yet another 900k for SE on PSP? Guess this one could reach 1m when they do a Final Mix version (I suppose they will?) since those tend to sell a bit better than the normal budget re-release. Still not a sweet taste in my mouth. Wonder how Agito will fare given all 3 precedences here.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
danielijohnson said:
Hahahahhaa, who called it last thread? FFXIII is NOT reaching 2 million.
I called it a in the last; and it will no sell two millions, it will struggle to sell 1.9 millions.

Then again, I don't know if FFXIII international will be released (final fantasy X and X-2 international sold like 240k but I can't find numbers for FF XII).

The budget release of FFXII sold 45k copies according to the japan games charts site.

So no, it won't reach 2 millions until the international version is released.

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Hmm. It can't be bad to do nearly like FF7:CC and Dissidia in a "2 days vs 4 days" scenario. Hell it beats (Famitsu number here since I don't know the MC one) the very first KH (411k) on PS2 (2vs4 scenario again). Yet I feel a bit disappointed. I really thought it had a chance at a million, now the bigger 2nd week (thanks to the 2vs4 scenario) could just offset the lesser 1st week. Yet another 900k for SE on PSP? Guess this one could reach 1m when they do a Final Mix version (I suppose they will?) since those tend to sell a bit better than the normal budget re-release. Still not a sweet taste in my mouth. Wonder how Agito will fare given all 3 precedences here.

I don't think I ever really felt BbS would reach a million. Dissidia didn't, and KH2 is the only game to have gone over a million in Japan and it had a HUGE marketing boost plus being a huge leap over KH in terms of content and presentation. BbS should do about KH1 numbers or better, which will put it at 850-950k LTD imo.

On the other hand, I'm certain that Agito XIII will go over a million, unless the game ends up being some massive fucked up failure. In a fair comparison, the FF brand is certainly stronger than the KH brand, plus the multiplayer aspects of Agito XIII will be much more integrated into the game and story itself, instead of being just a stand alone mode.

I just don't see any possible angle we can approach this whereby BbS selling between KH and KH2 is a bad thing for anyone involved. :)

cvxfreak

Dissidia's re-release didn't even take that game above 1 Million, but I was under the impression that Universal Tuning was a very minor upgrade?

They never re-released Crisis Core either, so will they bother with Birth by Sleep Final Mix?

duckroll

cvxfreak said:
Dissidia's re-release didn't even take that game above 1 Million, but I was under the impression that Universal Tuning was a very minor upgrade?

They never re-released Crisis Core either, so will they bother with Birth by Sleep Final Mix?

Universal Tuning is basically just Dissidia US, with Japanese text. I also think that the sales definitely suffered because of what it is. It's a competitive action game, which means how much it sells is directly linked to how much of a community is left for the game when it is released. The game itself has no real "story" value or the usual gimmicks and hooks which will make the majority of people double dip.

Just look at the sales of FFX-2 International vs FFXII International. That's the difference between a re-release with tons of "valuable" content vs a re-release with just gameplay tweaks and re-balances and no actual new game and story content. Dissidia UT is closer to FFXII-I than FFX-2-I, so yeah I think that definitely hurt it.

As for whether there will be a Final Mix for BbS, who knows. Nomura said specifically that there would not be a Final Mix for KH2, and he still ended up releasing it, and it's the most substantial re-release S-E has ever done too. It's definitely too early to tell.

cvxfreak

Thanks duckroll. Good response.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Is NSMB Wii still supply constrained in Japan?

Yes. And it will be for a while.

The question is whether NSMB Wii or DQVI will be the #1 game on the 2010 Famitsu Half-Year Chart.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Moor-Angol said:
It's from this week we start counting hardware sales for 2010 ?
We start from the previous. That's the case with Famitsu and possibly Media Create unless there will be an extra week for 2009 when we get Media Create 2009 top 500.

Top Bottom