• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 30-Dec 6, 2009

u_neek

Come on, FFXIII is not going to do <1.5m LTD - it's a mainline Final Fantasy for god's sake and the hype seems massive in Japan.

u_neek said:
Come on, FFXIII is not going to do <1.5m LTD - it's a mainline Final Fantasy for god's sake and the hype seems massive in Japan.
LTD? sure it will pass 1.5 mil, but they're shipping around 1 million for release.

My predictions;
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square-Enix) - 1st day - 880K
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square-Enix) - 1st week - 1.15K
[WII] New Super Mario Bros Wii (Nintendo) - 3rd week - 200k
PS3 Hardware - 160k
WII Hardware - 145k

Bebpo

Banned
iifu said:
PREDICTIONS:

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square-Enix) - 1st day - 1,100k
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square-Enix) - 1st week - 1,300k
[WII] New Super Mario Bros Wii (Nintendo) - 3rd week - 350k
PS3 Hardware - 160k
WII Hardware - 180k

If the Wii outsells the PS3 during the launch of FFXIII, I think Sony is about as doomed as you can get.

Porkepik

Bebpo said:
If the Wii outsells the PS3 during the launch of FFXIII, I think Sony is about as doomed as you can get.
Sony is already doomed, we just want to know if the last home console to resist to the portable will join the ps3.

At home tough my ps3 is more alive than ever since september. Sooo many good games.

I don't see the FF13 driving that many consoles. I predict about 100-110K max ps3

Wii will probably sell more due to the time of year and NSMB

We will see

iifu

Neo Member
Bebpo said:
I know my Wii number is high, but last year it sold 131k during the same week with no big software hit. We'll see, I could be wrong.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Bebpo said:

It could happen given how high holiday sales will be.

Aru

My predictions:
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square-Enix) - 1st day - 1,050k
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square-Enix) - 1st week - 1,200k
PS3 Hardware - 180k

schuelma

onken said:
I'd be amazed if that happened.

Why? If the FF13 bump is just a bit less significant than some are predicting it could easily happen.

schuelma

Paracelsus said:
schuelma, honest question: how much do you think PS3 and Wii would sell if they had no software at all in December?

I think looking at last year would be illustrative since both had weak December lineups- Wii did 131K and PS3 did 39k....sooo..I would say maybe 90K and 60K?

Edit- decreased the Wii

onken

schuelma said:
Why? If the FF13 bump is just a bit less significant than some are predicting it could easily happen.

That's pretty loose criteria, there's some serious low-balls being posted.

schuelma said:
I think looking at last year would be illustrative since both had weak December lineups- Wii did 131K and PS3 did 39k....sooo..I would say maybe 90K and 60K?

Edit- decreased the Wii

Just to clarify, you're saying next week's Wii hardware would be 90k without NSMB, but 180k with?

Brofist

Wii outselling PS3 on FFXIII week? Really? Has to be the "PS3 will be at sub 10k levels by November" crowd pulling this gem out their asses.

cvxfreak

kpop100 said:
Wii outselling PS3 on FFXIII week? Really? Has to be the "PS3 will be at sub 10k levels by November" crowd pulling this gem out their asses.

Actually, it's quite possible for quite a few reasons.

schuelma

onken said:
Just to clarify, you're saying next week's Wii hardware would be 90k without NSMB, but 180k with?

Not just NSMB Wii- Graces, SW3, and Pikachu. The hypothetical was NOTHING released in December. But yes..I believe NSMB Wii is going to have a very very large impact at least during the holidays.

Edit- and I might lower my Wii prediction a tad. Looks a bit high..maybe to 165K-170K.

The real effect of NSMBW is that it brings the console back into the public's eye, people will see the advertisements along with the other games coming out for the system and want to buy it for the holidays.

schuelma said:

Edit- decreased the Wii
PS3 has been consistently ahead of the Wii up until NSMB Wii. What makes you think Wii would pull ahead if they had nothing in December?

jeremy1456

Chuck Norris said:
PS3 has been consistently ahead of the Wii up until NSMB Wii. What makes you think Wii would pull ahead if they had nothing in December?

That had almost everything to do with the slim and price drop.

The effect does wear off after a while.

schuelma

Chuck Norris said:

Because the Wii always sells well during the holidays and if PS3 didn't have FF13 I don't think it would be doing what it is doing in December right now.

schuelma said:
Because the Wii always sells well during the holidays and if PS3 didn't have FF13 I don't think it would be doing what it is doing in December right now.
Wii sold consistently well all year round before this year. It's not tracking consistently to begin with, right?

Jeremy1456 said:
That had almost everything to do with the slim and price drop.

The effect does wear off after a while.
Where has it worn off?

Has there been a week yet with disappointing PS3 sales?

After ps3 got beat out by 360 in november's npd, I think I'm done trying to predict how the ps3 will do compared to its competition.

kswiston

Chuck Norris said:

Nintendo does better during holidays because Nintendo has the lions' share of the under 13 market. Kids don't have the disposable income that their teenage and adult counterparts do, and typically have to wait for birthdays and holidays to get larger items like a gaming system.

Same reason why the Wii and DS will see 100%+ increases in the US from November to December, while PS3 and 360 will increase in the 50-75% range.

schuelma

Chuck Norris said:
Wii sold consistently well all year round before this year. It's not tracking consistently to begin with, right?

Since the price drop it was selling on par with the first 2 years. I don't really see the use of this argument, honestly. Its a dumb hypothetical.

Tmac

Despite the lack of software in top 30 the ps3 has been selling remarkbly well. That's for sure because of final fantasy.

I can't see it not selling well when the game gets actually released.

ReyBrujo

kpop100 said:
Isn't any kind of prediction that way?

Brofist

ReyBrujo said:
Isn't any kind of prediction that way?
I guess, but there is such thing as a bad prediction (the 360 will outsell the Wii) for example.

Even if it's only for the 1 week the PS3 should outsell the Wii.

P90

kswiston said:
Nintendo does better during holidays because Nintendo has the lions' share of the under 13 market. Kids don't have the disposable income that their teenage and adult counterparts do, and typically have to wait for birthdays and holidays to get larger items like a gaming system.

Same reason why the Wii and DS will see 100%+ increases in the US from November to December, while PS3 and 360 will increase in the 50-75% range.

Got reliable market research that backs up the lack of adult owners of Wiis, as you imply?

Brofist

schuelma said:
You may be right, but why even bother playing the "what if" game?

schuelma

kpop100 said:
I guess, but there is such thing as a bad prediction (the 360 will outsell the Wii) for example.

Even if it's only for the 1 week the PS3 should outsell the Wii.

Again, though I have the Wii a bit ahead for that week, I don't think its a lock or anything- but I generally think they are going to be close. Why don't you think that is possible? Do you see PS3 doing 200K+?

farnham

Banned
P90 said:
Got reliable market research that backs up the lack of adult owners of Wiis, as you imply?
isnt the senior silver market one of the main markets for the wii... also the soccer moms.. (wii fit and wii sports etc)

If you guys really want a reference to why we think Wii sales will see an increase, just look at the last 20 years of hardware data, you'll get the general gist of things pretty fast. Even during the tepid Gamecube and N64 days the hardware picked up more than systems from other manufacturers did.

idlewild_

Bel Marduk said:
Reggie said the average age of Wii owners is 29:

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/wii/average-age-of-wii-owners-is-29-says-fils-aime.html

Now I know America=/=Japan but I don't see why this figure would be drastically different.

an average age of 29 and having less 'adult owners' is not really mutually exclusive. eg. three 12yr olds and an 80yr old each own a wii, their avg age is 29. not saying that he's right, just that using a flat number does not refute his claim.

idlewild_ said:
an average age of 29 and having less 'adult owners' is not really mutually exclusive. eg. three 12yr olds and an 80yr old each own a wii, their avg age is 29. not saying that he's right, just that using a flat number does not refute his claim.

But now you're just pulling ratios and such. For every 3 kids there's one really old person. But that's not necessarily true. For all we know it could be more 20 year olds in the face of younger kids and it'd average out to 29, with fewer older people. Or older teens with tastes of 20 year olds and older people and it equals 29. We just don't know. With the Wii, it's for 'everyone.' Same goes for the DS. I'd say because of that that people of all ages buy the Wii and not just one or two main groups (in this case, really young kids and really old people) compared to the HD consoles which house mainly teens and adults looking at the type of games they sell compared to the Wii where it can sell games for younger kids fine, games for older gamers fine, games that appeal to both old and young like Mario, etc. With the HD consoles you're mainly thinking about Uncharted, Gears, Halo, Assassin's Creed, CoD, etc. and not something like Viva Pinata or LBP.

cvxfreak

Here's why I think there is a decent, if not good possibility for the Wii to outsell PS3 during FFXIII's week:

1. Every day of the week counts. The Wii should be undergoing its typical week-over-week expansion as the days go on.

2. The weekend: Nintendo always does well during weekends, so the huge mountain of PS3 on 12/17 may not be able to overcome the Wii's everyday momentum.

3. If FFXIII experiences shortages, then PS3 sales will suffer too.

4. Do not underestimate NSMB Wii's long term selling power. Seriously. Despite its explosive opening, the game is nowhere near its saturation selling point.

It's just as possible for the PS3 to sell more than the Wii this week, but I don't believe it would be a landslide, and I would not bet on the PS3 winning the 2009 YTD war because FFXIII should wear out sooner than NSMB Wii.

schuelma

Bel Marduk said:
If Wii outsells PS3 FF XIII week...there will be blood :lol . Maybe. But it would be interesting.

The thing is this is a lot of fun for us but in the long term this doesn't really mean anything for either system unless they maintain momentum into 2010. Nintendo could sell 700K this December and if weekly sales are crawling under 25K in January then long term NSMB Wii and the price cut didn't do any good.

schuelma said:
The thing is this is a lot of fun for us but in the long term this doesn't really mean anything for either system unless they maintain momentum into 2010. Nintendo could sell 700K this December and if weekly sales are crawling under 25K in January then long term NSMB Wii and the price cut didn't do any good.

I agree. There doesn't seem to be anything too major next year for the PS3 and Wii except Versus...in December 2010 maybe? Wonder what Sony and Nintendo will do. I wonder if Nintendo will try to push Reginliev. And if they pressure SE into revealing DQ X?

Brofist

schuelma said:
Again, though I have the Wii a bit ahead for that week, I don't think its a lock or anything- but I generally think they are going to be close. Why don't you think that is possible? Do you see PS3 doing 200K+?
200k would be a stretch, but I think it'll do over 150k, while I feel the Wii will come up south of 150k.

schuelma

Bel Marduk said:
I agree. There doesn't seem to be anything too major next year for the PS3 and Wii except Versus...in December 2010 maybe? Wonder what Sony and Nintendo will do. I wonder if Nintendo will try to push Reginliev. And if they pressure SE into revealing DQ X?

PS3 has a pretty solid Q1 lined up. Yakuza 3 and presumably GT5 is stellar.

schuelma said:
PS3 has a pretty solid Q1 lined up. Yakuza 3 and presumably GT5 is stellar.

Ah, yeah, GT5 should be big. Not really seeing Yakuza push too much HW though, but good SW. I wonder if End of Eternity will do anything? But January and Feb seem a bit bare.

Top Bottom