• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 7-13, 2009

m.i.s.

Banned
Koren said:
Pretty expensive. 25000 Yens, which is ~$273*, but in Japan, the Wii is not sold as a bundle with Wii Sports, that include only the console.

Even without dropping the price, they still have the opportunity to throw a pack-in with the console (NSMBW would be a wonderful candidate, I think, but it may be too obvious).

* which is 190€, but we all know that, even after taxes, Europe often gets overpriced hardware/software.

Whoah! I thought it was around the US$200 equivalent - particularly since it doesn't come bundled with Wii Sports. Had no idea it was THAT expensive in Japan.

cvxfreak

M.I.S. said:
Whoah! I thought it was around the US$200 equivalent - particularly since it doesn't come bundled with Wii Sports. Had no idea it was THAT expensive in Japan.

It was around $210 back when the Yen was at ¥115-120 per USD and not ¥90-¥94.

test_account

XP-39C²
Is the Wii concidered as a high price in Japan? In my country, the Wii costs equivalent to about $330 - $400 US dollars (price can variate, sometimes some stores have sales/special offers etc.) and i actually think that this is an ok price :) It is not exactly very cheap, but i dont think that it is very expencive either.

In comparison, the PS3 costs about $475 - $500. The Xbox 360 Elite costs something around $390 if i am not mistaken and the Xbox 360 Arcade costs about $237. The PS2 costs about $136.

New PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii games usually costs like $85 - $100 as well (there are sometimes sales/special offers in some stores, but $85 - $100 is a common price on many games at least).

EDIT: These prices are based on today's currency conversion at www.xe.com by the way :)

AdventureRacing said:
How high will PS3's install base be when FFXIII releases? Right now it's only 3,482,076 so i wouldn't necessarily say 2 million is guaranteed. Though 1 million is just way low balling it.
If you include the hardware sales for the same week when FFXIII gets released, i would guess that the PS3 userbase is somewhere around 3.8 million - 4 million.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kotaku incorrectly claims that Tales of Vesperia has the highest first day sales for a Tales game ever.

This claim was vetted by looking at the first day sales of a half-dozen Tales games and deciding that since this one is higher, it must be the highest.

No attempt was made to look up any information for any of the Tales games before the current generation.

test_account said:
If you include the hardware sales for the same week when FFXIII gets released, i would guess that the PS3 userbase is somewhere around 3.8 million - 4 million.

If that's the case 2 million certainly isn't a given.

test_account

XP-39C²
AdventureRacing said:
If that's the case 2 million certainly isn't a given.
Ye, i dont think that 2 million is 100% given i agree, especially not when it comes to the first release, maybe some re-releases can get FFXIII over 2 million? Both FFX and FF12 both sold about 2.3 million copies (not counting "Best" re-releases etc.). If FFXIII sells less than 2 million copies, it means that hundreds of thousands of people didnt buy a new copy of FFXIII compared to how many people who bought a new copy of FFX and FF12 . That sounds like a pretty big drop in the Final Fantasy fanbase (they can buy the game used though), at least in my opinion, but who knows if this big drop will happend?

The PS3 should be at a more affordable price now, so i dont know how much the price is stopping the Final Fantasy fans from buying a PS3 and a new copy of FFXIII. I dont really have any prediction myself on how much i think that FFXIII will sell in Japan, but i think that it shall be interesting to see how much FFXII will sell at least :)

Road

Stumpokapow said:
Kotaku incorrectly claims that Tales of Vesperia has the highest first day sales for a Tales game ever.

This claim was vetted by looking at the first day sales of a half-dozen Tales games and deciding that since this one is higher, it must be the highest.

No attempt was made to look up any information for any of the Tales games before the current generation.
They obviously do that on purpose because Sinobi (where they got the info) clearly states it's the biggest among Tales games released since 2007.

As for Famitsu's estimates, they started low balling MH3 too and raised it as it got closer to the release. So, all is not lost for FFXIII. There are still two months to raise that estimates. Haha

Less than 1 million first week would be a disaster.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Road said:
They obviously do that on purpose because Sinobi (where they got the info) clearly states it's the biggest among Tales games released since 2007.

*shakes head*

It's bad enough to be using a Google Translation of a source you can't understand to write a story with no actual reliable translation of it, it's worse to boldly state something the source doesn't even say to begin with.

Jokeropia

DR2K said:
Is it bs to expect the highest selling console to have the highest selling software along with it?
The Wii does have the highest selling software.
DR2K said:
Given how many people own the system and how much 3rd party sells in comparison
This is bs. Why should third party x care more about the sales of third party y than sales of first party? It's not like the Wii installed base is made up of people that only wants Nintendo games, since most of them didn't even own a Nintendo console last gen. Wii has gotten exactly one major third party release with the same franchise strength as the biggest PS3 third party games.

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
*shakes head*

It's bad enough to be using a Google Translation of a source you can't understand to write a story with no actual reliable translation of it, it's worse to boldly state something the source doesn't even say to begin with.

I don't think it really matters. This is Kotaku we're talking about. It's shocking if it's actually a news site like 1up or whatever, but this is like bitching that The Sun didn't check their sources before running a front page article saying Prince Charles was seen dating a man. :p

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I see the debate continued a long after I logged out. Dalthien has pretty much covered me but I’ll expand a little bit.

First of all where did I say I give credit to the Wii third party sales? I posted a more detailed comparison between Wii and PS3 to show that the statement PS3>>Wii is wrong, since the previous posted numbers were lacking and misleading.

Now about the big lies of this generation:

1. Nintendo is very strong at their systems, so every other publisher must turn their sources to other consoles.

I’ve said it many times but it seems some people just don’t want to understand it. Everyone competes with everyone and each generation’s leader always has the lion’s share of software sales. The previous two generations Nintendo wasn’t the major player of the market. N64, GC and GBA sold well but definitely had a big drop in sales comparing to NES, SNES and GB. Third parties could turn to the market leaders (PS1 and PS2) and wouldn’t have to compete directly with Nintendo, since the huge userbase these systems had was enough to equal the lack of Japan’s first publisher from them.
This generation things have changed. Nintendo has the clear winner (DS) and a follower-up (Wii), which certainly isn’t as distant as N64 or GC but more close to GBA. Nintendo has the lion share of software sales. The idea that the games for PS3, 360 or even PSP stay out of the competition with Nintendo simply doesn’t exist. If you want to ignore 1st party sales when referring to DS or Wii do it, but Japanese consumers definitely don’t.

2. The attach ratio of Wii for third parties comparing to PS3.

Who cares? Definitely not the publishers. That’s one of the stupidest things I’ve heard. With this logic if 1 mil sales for FF XIII is as success for PS3, the same game would have to sell 2,4 mil on Wii to be considered a success or even better 7,9 mil on DS, because their userbases are many times bigger. Amazing logic. Lancestern has left his stigma in these threads.

3. Direct comparison of third party sales between different systems.

How can we compare third party sales between Wii and PS3 and come to conclusions for each platform’s health only from the total software sold, is beyond my understatement. Where comes the quantity, quality and the budget in the equation? Wii had its first big title in Japan almost 2,5 years after its launch when there have been numerous for PS3. 1 mil sales of a high-budget game gives bigger profit for the publisher on PS3, Wii or DS?

Of course the myth continues for some, but remains a myth.

Famitsu estimates for September should be renamed to bomb estimates.

apujanata said:
Can I also participate in this "Tag bet" ?
Clarification : Are you comparing first day vs. first day, or is it ok to compare ToV PS3 first day with ToG Wii first week/ LTD ? If it is also applicable for first week / LTD, the win possibilities is much bigger.

I noticed that ToS: DoTNW 1st week # is 151.138 (Famitsu), and the LTD is 212.408.
TOS GC is 183.527 First week and 322.779 LTD (Famitsu #)

I believe that most of those TOS gamers will also purchase ToG (and I really hope that any of them that sold their Wii after finishing the game will also buy Wii again for ToG).

First day. Depending on Vesperia PS3's second and third weeks I can imagine that eventually Graces would beat Vesperia PS3 LTD.

Grampasso

pseudocaesar said:
1-1.5m for FFXIII? Really? I would expect at least 2 million.
First week. I think that's reasonable
EDIT: BTW 2 Millions in the first week would mean a 50%+ attach rate for FFXIII. Is that realistically possible?
I know it's maybe difficult to know, but which ones are the games with the higher attach rate in the first week? (Obviously excluding the first weeks in the life of a console, when attachment rate for games is a lot higher when they gets released)

shinshero

DeaconKnowledge said:
You're thinking about this the wrong way Dragona.

The Wii is getting its ass kicked ---by the DS. In fact, it seems every platform in Japan, whether handheld or console, is suffering from the DS' dominance.

I don't see how you can point to one game on the PS3 after a monster price drop and say that gamers are demanding The PS3/HD gaming.

Aren't 3rd party sales higher on the PS3 this year?

Not to mention, PS3 has like half the install base so thats quite poor peformance on the Wii's behalf.

I guess at the end of the day. The development costs on the Wii make it far more favourable.

test_account

XP-39C²
Grampasso said:
I think that 1million - 1.5 million are Famitsu's LTD predictions for FFXIII. Their first shipment (first week?) predictions are 800K-960K.

Grampasso said:
EDIT: BTW 2 Millions in the first week would mean a 50%+ attach rate for FFXIII. Is that realistically possible?
I know it's maybe difficult to know, but which ones are the games with the higher attach rate in the first week? (Obviously excluding the first weeks in the life of a console, when attachment rate for games is a lot higher when they gets released)
A 50%+ attach rate for FFXIII (or any game for that matter) sounds pretty high indeed, i agree. But to take one example regarding the main Metal Gear Solid games. Here are how much they sold in the first week and how big the console install base was at the time when the games got released (FW = first week software sales) :

- Metal Gear Solid 2: 456,747 FW / 5,588,723 PS2 Installbase

- Metal Gear Solid 3: 487,156 FW / 15,678,355 PS2 Installbase

- Metal Gear Solid 4: 476,334 FW / 2,177,825 PS3 Installbase

EDIT: These numbers are Famitsu numbers taken from garaph.info, thanks to garaph.info! :)

The first week software sales are pretty similar eventhough that the MGS2 and MGS3 had a much bigger installbase. MGS2 and MGS3 has a bigger LTD compared to MGS4 though, but the first week sales are rather similar at least. Unfortunately i dont know where to find numbers for MGS1 and how big the Playstation 1 userbase was when MGS1 was released.

There was not a 50%+ attach rate senario with MGS4 and with the PS3 though, so it might be a quite different senario when we talk about a 50%+ attach rate senario, but i just wanted to mention that the installbase might not always matter that much in some cases, at least in my opinion. So who knows how much FFXIII will end up selling even if the PS3 installbase isnt exactly that high, i think it shall be interesting to see how much FFXIII sells at least :)

shinshero

test_account said:
I think that 1million - 1.5 million are Famitsu's LTD predictions for FFXIII. Their first shipment (first week?) predictions are 800K-960K.

A 50%+ attach rate for FFXIII (or any game for that matter) sounds pretty high indeed, i agree. But to take one example regarding the main Metal Gear Solid games. Here are how much they sold in the first week and how big the console install base was at the time when the games got released (FW = first week software sales) :

The first week software sales are pretty similar eventhough that the MGS2 and MGS3 had a much bigger installbase. MGS2 and MGS3 has a bigger LTD compared to MGS4 though, but the first week sales are rather similar at least. Unfortunately i dont know where to find numbers for MGS1 and how big the Playstation 1 userbase was when MGS1 was released.

There was not a 50%+ attach rate senario with MGS4 and with the PS3 though, so it might be a quite different senario when we talk about a 50%+ attach rate senario, but i just wanted to mention that the installbase might not always matter that much in some cases, at least in my opinion. So who knows how much FFXIII will end up selling even if the PS3 installbase isnt exactly that high, i think it shall be interesting to see how much FFXIII sells at least :)

I expect about 1.5M within the span of 3 months. LTD probably won't be much different.

freddy said:
Anyone got a top 20 of top software sellers on the PS3 and the Wii since they were released? We have some of the best archivers of Japanese sales on the web on this forum so lets have a look at things in black and white.
These are simple results from the Garaph game search, so things like BEST versions aren't added in, but

PS3 Top 20
Wii Top 20

Dragona Akehi said:
Thing is, even the mighty DS' Tales releases haven't been comparable to the PS2 era. Only Vesperia PS3 can be considered to be "in around there".
Not first day sales, but for comparison here are the early sales of the PS2 Tales games:
Destiny+R

onipex said:
I hope next gen the attach rate bs dies. Shit came out of nowhere this gen and is never used in any meaningful context at all.
It was definitely around well before this gen. The genesis of my "average ownership time" thing came while arguing about how GCN's attach rate lowered after it had massive hardware sales November 2003.
DR2K said:
Is it bs to expect the highest selling console to have the highest selling software along with it?
No, and it does. In a combined Wii/PS3 Japanese software list, the top PS3 game comes in at #11. But start categorizing things and it's not going to win every subset.

test_account

XP-39C²
shinshero said:
I expect about 1.5M within the span of 3 months. LTD probably won't be much different.
1.5M in 3 months for FFXIII would be quite a drop from FFX and FFXII though, something around 700k-800k in difference. I would be surprised if that many people have lost their interest in a main Final Fantasy game in a ca. 3.5 year time period (it is ca. 3.5 years since Final Fantasy XII was released), but who knows :)

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
shinshero said:

Not to mention, PS3 has like half the install base so thats quite poor peformance on the Wii's behalf.

I guess at the end of the day. The development costs on the Wii make it far more favourable.
Yes, and PS3 in it's first year cost twice as much as the Wii, wo the real install base of the PS3 is 7 million; with the double attach rate of third parties; o yeah, we add all that and PS3 sell like 8 times as much software as the Wii (going by your logic).

Grampasso

test_account said:

Thx for the clarification and for the example brought.

Indeed it will be interesting seeing how FFXIII will behave, though I think it can be a bit different when we're talking about multi million selling franchises (like FF) compared to a less popular (although healthy and solid) franchise like MGS.

We also know that there are some games that no matter the platform will sell at least a minimum because the fanbase is so attached to the franchise that they'd sell their mothers to play the next sequel. One of these franchises is DQ, and I bet whatever I have DQIX will end up being the best selling DQ (at least until the next one), also because the DS installed base in Japan is so huge.

So in the end, IF DQIX benefits from DS installed base, shouldn't (or "couldn't" may be more appropriate) PS3 low installed base hurt FFXIII sales? I'm saying that because I think multimillion franchises may suffer a lot more from a low installed fanbase compared to a franchise like MGS.

EDIT:
shinshero said:
Thats true, but any higher would require close to 50%+ attach ratio.
Ehi, don't steal my points :p

shinshero

test_account said:
1.5M in 3 months for FFXIII would be quite a drop from FFX and FFXII though, something around 700k-800k in difference. I would be surprised if that many people have lost their interest in a main Final Fantasy game in a ca. 3.5 year time period (it is ca. 3.5 years since Final Fantasy XII was released), but who knows :)

Thats true, but any higher would require close to 50%+ attach ratio. I guess when its all said and done 1.8M (Without re-release) is realistic LTD for FF XIII.

We have to remember, there is a recession going on. Are people willing to plonk down 29000 yen in addition to game price for ONE game?

shinshero said:
Thats true, but any higher would require close to 50%+ attach ratio. I guess when its all said and done 1.8M (Without re-release) is realistic LTD for FF XIII.

We have to remember, there is a recession going on. Are people willing to plonk down 29000 yen in addition to game price for ONE game?

You know the answer to that question is yes, as we have seen thousands of people buying it at higher prices for less popular titles.

Grampasso said:

I completely didn't understand that they were talking about First week sales only, for some reason I thought they were talking about LTD.

apujanata

Grampasso said:

During GC era, SSBM first week sales is 357,101 (Famitsu, taken from JapanGameChart). BEFORE release of the game (21/11/2001), GC H/W is only 299,411 (Famitsu, taken from Yousouoh). During SSBM (which are called SSB DX in Japan), GC H/W increase from 19,019 to 129,377, and drop again to 44,482 the week AFTER SSBM release.

If you calculate 357,101 vs 428,788 (299,141 BEFORE SSBM + 129,377 in the week of SSBM), it gives you 83% tie ratio. It means 8 out of 10 GC gamer have that game, in the launch week.

I believe it is safe to assume that NO other S/W will ever reach SSBM's tie ratio. Whether FF13 will reach 50% or not, the possibilities is 55% (no) : 45% (yes), IMO.

FFX Tie Ratio :
First week # : 1.749.737
PS2 H/W BEFORE release (19/07/2001) : 5,257,480 (estimated, since there was no data between July 19 and Oct 21, 2001).
Tie Ratio : 33% (remember, this is estimated #, not actual # like SSBM's)

m.i.s.

Banned
TunaLover said:
Kirby Wii is a NCL internal joke, it was never supposed be on development.

Can't disagree with this.

Between the 2D mario of the glory years, the Donkey Kong Country revival of yesteryear and the 3D mario of today, it doesn't really leave Kirby as anything other than a very distant also-ran.

Road

Time and again people have pointed out FFX as evidence for why FFXIII can do 2 million despite PS3 total hardware.
Code:
Week	FFX	PS2	AR

1	1750	4575	38,25%
2	1983	4678	42,40%
3	2069	4753	43,53%
4	2116	4822	43,88%
5	2154	4891	[b]44,03%[/b]
6	2179	4951	44,00%
7	2195	5003	43,89%
8	2206	5048	43,71%

44% of the PS3 user base, assuming it is 4 million by FFXIII's 5th week, would be around 1.76 million. However, if one can pull an attach rate of 44%, the other can easily pull 50% or a little more.

PS3 will "only" hinder FFXIII's ability to outperform the previous two games (X and XII).

test_account

XP-39C²
Grampasso said:
Thx for the clarification and for the example brought.
No problem :)

Grampasso said:
Indeed it will be interesting seeing how FFXIII will behave, though I think it can be a bit different when we're talking about multi million selling franchises (like FF) compared to a less popular (although healthy and solid) franchise like MGS.
Ye, that is true, it might be a quite different senario between a franchice like FF and MGS, because FF is more popular franchice compared to MGS as you. It is not sure that the Metal Gear Solid example that i mention earlier would be something similar when it comes to Final Fantasy. But we will know for sure when FFXIII gets released this December :)

Grampasso said:
We also know that there are some games that no matter the platform will sell at least a minimum because the fanbase is so attached to the franchise that they'd sell their mothers to play the next sequel. One of these franchises is DQ, and I bet whatever I have DQIX will end up being the best selling DQ (at least until the next one), also because the DS installed base in Japan is so huge.
Ye, i also think that since the DS installbase is so big, this might result in more sold copies of DQIX indeed as you say, i agree. I mean, DQXI would most likely had sold great anyway indeed as you say, but having the game for a big installbase like the DS has is probably not something that exactly will hurt the sales :)

Grampasso said:
So in the end, IF DQIX benefits from DS installed base, shouldn't (or "couldn't" may be more appropriate) PS3 low installed base hurt FFXIII sales? I'm saying that because I think multimillion franchises may suffer a lot more from a low installed fanbase compared to a franchise like MGS.
Sure, there is definitly possible that the PS3 installbase might affect the sale of FFXIII, so that less copies of FFXIII are sold compared to if the PS3 installbase was bigger. But exactly how much the low PS3 installbase will affect the FFXIII sales might be hard to know. Could it be like 100k-200k or more like 500k-700k or something? Luckily we only have to wait a few months more (and luckily not a few years) before we know how much FFXIII will sell when the game gets released =)

shinshero said:
Ye, a 50%+ attach ratio sounds almost too high indeed, i agree, but i dont know if the drop will be as much as like 700k-800k comparing the LTD of FFXII and FFXIII. It could happend though, but then i will be a bit surprised at least :) A 1.8M LTD for FFXIII sounds pretty realistic i think.

shinshero said:
I think so, but i have no idea how many that are willing to do it though. I guess that they can always sell the console and the game after they get tired of it. And maybe FFXIII is the the game that makes several of people to buy a PS3, and then they keep the console for a long time and contunie to buy games for it, so it is not sure that all buys the consoles just to play FFXIII only, if you know what i mean? :)

I also think that it should be interesting to know how many excisting PS3 owners that plans on bying FFXIII.

jcm

Chris1964 said:
I see the debate continued a long after I logged out. Dalthien has pretty much covered me but I’ll expand a little bit.

First of all where did I say I give credit to the Wii third party sales? I posted a more detailed comparison between Wii and PS3 to show that the statement PS3>>Wii is wrong, since the previous posted numbers were lacking and misleading.

Now about the big lies of this generation:

1. Nintendo is very strong at their systems, so every other publisher must turn their sources to other consoles.

I’ve said it many times but it seems some people just don’t want to understand it. Everyone competes with everyone and each generation’s leader always has the lion’s share of software sales. The previous two generations Nintendo wasn’t the major player of the market. N64, GC and GBA sold well but definitely had a big drop in sales comparing to NES, SNES and GB. Third parties could turn to the market leaders (PS1 and PS2) and wouldn’t have to compete directly with Nintendo, since the huge userbase these systems had was enough to equal the lack of Japan’s first publisher from them.
This generation things have changed. Nintendo has the clear winner (DS) and a follower-up (Wii), which certainly isn’t as distant as N64 or GC but more close to GBA. Nintendo has the lion share of software sales. The idea that the games for PS3, 360 or even PSP stay out of the competition with Nintendo simply doesn’t exist. If you want to ignore 1st party sales when referring to DS or Wii do it, but Japanese consumers definitely don’t.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Why is the Wii the follow up rather than the PSP? Why does the Wii not compete with the DS? Of what interest are "Nintendo" sales, which includes lots of DS software, to potential Wii developers?

test_account

XP-39C²
pseudocaesar said:
I completely didn't understand that they were talking about First week sales only, for some reason I thought they were talking about LTD.
I think that the 1.00M-1.50M actually was for the LTD. At least that is the Total Forcast number that Famitsu mentioned. I assume that Total Forcast is how much the game will sell in total when it is all said and done at least (or in other words, how big the game's LTD will be)? Famitsu wrote 800K-960K for the First Shipment, which i assume is basicly the same as the first week sales (unless there is a 2nd shipment that comes within the first week of sales)? But please correct me if i am wrong :) This is what Famitsu wrote at least:

bttb said:
Famitsu Estimates (September 2009)
Title - First Shipment/Total Forecast (Related Title - First Week/Total Sales)

[PS3] Final Fantasy 13 (Square Enix) FS 800K-960K / TF 1.00M-1.50M (FF12 - FW 1.840M / LTD 2.323M)

obonicus

manueldelalas said:
Yes, and PS3 in it's first year cost twice as much as the Wii, wo the real install base of the PS3 is 7 million; with the double attach rate of third parties; o yeah, we add all that and PS3 sell like 8 times as much software as the Wii (going by your logic).

I can't even tell what sort of strawman this is, it's so unintelligible.

apujanata

Road said:
Time and again people have pointed out FFX as evidence for why FFXIII can do 2 million despite PS3 total hardware.
Code:
Week	FFX	PS2	AR

1	1750	4575	38,25%
2	1983	4678	42,40%
3	2069	4753	43,53%
4	2116	4822	43,88%
5	2154	4891	[b]44,03%[/b]
6	2179	4951	44,00%
7	2195	5003	43,89%
8	2206	5048	43,71%

44% of the PS3 user base, assuming it is 4 million by FFXIII's 5th week, would be around 1.76 million. However, if one can pull an attach rate of 44%, the other can easily pull 50% or a little more.

PS3 will "only" hinder FFXIII's ability to outperform the previous two games (X and XII).

Where did you get your data from ?
My own data (taken from japan game charts and yousouoh) indicate only 33% tie ratio, not 44% tie ratio :

FFX Tie Ratio :
First week # : 1.749.737
PS2 H/W BEFORE release (19/07/2001) : 5,257,480 (estimated, since there was no data between July 19 and Oct 21, 2001).
Tie Ratio : 33% (remember, this is estimated #, not actual # like SSBM's)

The big difference is on PS2 H/W LTD at FFX launch. Yours is 4.891 Million, while mine is 5.25 Million. Do you have weekly breakdown of PS2 H/W # for 2001, Famitsu ? I would love to add my Famitsu H/W database, which lack complete 2001 data.

test_account said:
I think that the 1.00M-1.50M actually was for the LTD. At least that is the Total Forcast number that Famitsu mentioned. I assume that Total Forcast is how much the game will sell in total when it is all said and done at least (or in other words, how big the game's LTD will be)? Famitsu wrote 800K-960K for the First Shipment, which i assume is basicly the same as the first week sales (unless there is a 2nd shipment that comes within the first week of sales)? But please correct me if i am wrong :) This is what Famitsu wrote at least:

Yeh see thats how I read it too, I guess they actually are talking LTD. They arent realllly expecting it to sell that low LTD are they?

Road

apujanata said:
Where did you get your data from ?
My own data (taken from japan game charts and yousouoh) indicate only 33% tie ratio, not 44% tie ratio :

The big difference is on PS2 H/W LTD at FFX launch. Yours is 4.891 Million, while mine is 5.25 Million. Do you have weekly breakdown of PS2 H/W # for 2001, Famitsu ? I would love to add my Famitsu H/W database, which lack complete 2001 data.
Sorry I didn't point out the source. All came from Garaph, using Famitsu data for both hardware and software.

I don't know if there are any hardware sales by Famitsu missing from 2000 and on and there. I was under the impression it was complete from there on.

Kunan

Rocksteady33 said:
Not sure if I'm the only one who associated the games like this, mostly because of the exclusive Pokemon in each version tended to follow a similar pattern but,

Red--------------Blue
Gold-------------Silver
Ruby-------------Sapphire
FireRed----------LeafGreen
Pearl-------------Diamond

And hasn't the left column always outsold the right column? Isn't this the first time the right column (Silver remake) has outbeat the left column (HeartGold)?
Diamond outsold Pearl I think, but they're in the wrong positions anyways. When people refer to Pokemon games they say "Pokemon Red/Blue" "Pokemon Gold/Silver" "Pokemon Diamond and Pearl"

test_account

XP-39C²
pseudocaesar said:
Yeh see thats how I read it too, I guess they actually are talking LTD. They arent realllly expecting it to sell that low LTD are they?
Ye, i understood Total Forcast to be the same as LTD at least. I agree that their predictions for FFXIII's seems quite low indeed. But they have a rather wide range though, from 1 million to 1.5 million, but even this seems a bit low to me, especially the 1 million. 1.5 million is a bit more realistic though i think.

But i think that Road made a good point earlier in this thread. He said:

Road said:
As for Famitsu's estimates, they started low balling MH3 too and raised it as it got closer to the release. So, all is not lost for FFXIII. There are still two months to raise that estimates. Haha
So maybe Famitsu will change their FFXIII predictions some time before FFXIII gets released, who knows :)

Speaking about Famitsu changing their predictions, did they recently change their Wii Fit Plus prediction by the way? I see that they now have it at 1.8M+, didnt they have it at 1.5M or something earlier? Or maybe i am mixing their predictions up with another game than Wii Fit Plus?

test_account

XP-39C²
Mr.NiceGuy said:
Question, was there a PS2 sales bump when FFX was released ?
Yep, at least when it comes to the PS2 hardware. I dont know how the PS2 software software in general were affected when FFX was released, does anyone knows? But the PS2 sold 156,471 consoles when FFX was released at least. The week before FFX was released the PS2 sold 88,286 consoles. That is a hardware sales bump on 68,185 consoles :) These numbers are based on Famitsu numbers.

EDIT: I added some text.

Road

JoshuaJSlone said:
Those are the correct Famitsu totals from their weekly values, but I'm pretty sure they lowballed PS2 early on. I don't remember if I saw any real evidence for it beyond the early shipment data being so much higher and that PS2s were in short supply that first year so they shouldn't have been very overshipped.
I see. Looking at the M-Create data Chris provided, PS2 was at 7.3 million at the end of 2001, while Famitsu has it at only 6.4 million.

Thanks for the info.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jonnyram said:
9 games in 23 years. Do the maths.

Yeah, and it's ironic how DQ1 -> 2 had one of the shortest turnover times between sequels... In the Famicom era the DQ games came out so regularly.

shinshero

pseudocaesar said:
You know the answer to that question is yes, as we have seen thousands of people buying it at higher prices for less popular titles.

Yeah. But how many? 100K maybe, 200, maybe even 300K unlikely but possible but 500K + is highly unlikely. They might want it, but one title cannot warrant a purchase of entire game system. If the PS3 had a plethora of JRPG's, then I would say it is possible. But unfortunately it doesn't.

Then again, GT5 is rumoured to be hitting this year.

Shiggy said:
They were working on a Sheik game that was cancelled.
NST was working on Wii Crush which was also cancelled.
In addition, you could also add White Harvest LLC. They are/were working on Pilotwings though we don't know whether Nintendo will publish that one. I also don't want to know what has happened to the new Q-Games DS game, originally to be revealed in 2007...

And the n-space project

n-space2.jpg

unspace1.jpg

unspace9.jpg

tehbear

apujanata said:
Can I also participate in this "Tag bet" ?

It's a win win situation, if you are right u get a tag, if you are wrong nothing happens. Why don't we ALL participate in this bet :p

shinshero

tehbear said:
It's a win win situation, if you are right u get a tag, if you are wrong nothing happens. Why don't we ALL participate in this bet :p

Can we make a tag bet on a tag bet (ie. make a tag bet on who will get a tag?)

apujanata

tehbear said:

The more the merrier.

shinshero said:
Can we make a tag bet on a tag bet (ie. make a tag bet on who will get a tag?)
I am putting my money on botticus. Sure win bet :D

Road

Why are Road still Junior Member ? He have 200+ posts, and registered more than 1.5 years ago.

Johann

tehbear said:

Can Sales-age oppose, deadliest of foes?

Dragona

DRAGONA

Dragona

DRAGONA

GAF will risk it all, to end the evil call of Dragona!

DRAGONA

Dragona

DRAGONA

They never give up. They never say die. Walking tall with tag-bets high... they sound the battle cry! GO GRACES!

It seems one sided. Unless Dragona is just that confident.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
jcm said:
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Why is the Wii the follow up rather than the PSP? Why does the Wii not compete with the DS? Of what interest are "Nintendo" sales, which includes lots of DS software, to potential Wii developers?
Where do I say that? My post from page 8 says this:
Again:
One clear winner (DS), with Wii and PSP followers.

shinshero said:

Something something you can't drink if there's no water something.

Top Bottom