• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2014 (Mar 10 - Mar 16)

I really hope Freedom Wars sells great because the game looks like its going above the boundaries of Monster Hunter and it looks better.

test_account

XP-39C²
Videogames have become a medium even when they weren't meant to be one, and that means that a lot of people can approach them even if they're not gamers.
In other words, would you say that my aunt playing wii-fit is a gamer? Would she be a gamer if she did the same in a gym?
And what about people interested on the plot or the graphics? Could you say they're hardcore gamers? Why? Their interest is not in gaming, but in real time rendering or in the plot.

I define "gamer" as someone that's interested on gaming, not viewing, not listening, not doing exercise...
Just out of curiousity, why does it matter what you call those people who play games? As long as people who play games, they are playing games.

Without any doubt. This is why I'm pissed with this industry, because traditional gaming is facing total death.
There are so many games out there, so i dont understand how you can say that traditional gaming is dying. Today its so easy to publish your own game since the internet so widespread. There are also extremely few WiiFit and WiiSports like games out there compared to how many games that excist in total, so traditional gaming isnt dying at all.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So I've got to ask, Vita hardware sales seem to be better in Japan (300K+). However, the software sales just seem very anemic to me.

These are the 2014 releases thus far and their sales according to JapanLTDRank (aka Famitsu numbers):

PSV Soul Sacrifice Delta 47,101 64,796 SCE 2014-03-06
PSV Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited 29,904 39,016 Nippon Ichi Software 2014-01-30
PSV Amagami [eb Kore+] 26,417 30,078 Kadokawa Games 2014-01-30
PSV Terraria 13,974 19,160 Spike Chunsoft 2014-02-06
PSV Super Heroine Chronicle 13,838 18,365 Bandai Namco 2014-02-06
PSV Infinite Stratos 2: Ignition Hearts 17,686 17,686 5pb. 2014-02-27
PSV Valhalla Knights 3 Gold 13,093 17,303 Marvelous AQL 2014-02-27
PSV Puyo Puyo Tetris 9,739 13,022 SEGA 2014-02-06
PSV Uta Kumi 575 9,036 9,036 SEGA 2014-01-23

So software sales of the new titles this year so far are 228,462. Even with downloads and sales of old titles, do we even get an attach rate of one for this year (I guess FFX/X-2 might have pushed it over an attach rate of 1 for the new Vita owners since it's sold 72K this year)? Are the future announced Vita releases relatively bigger?

Here were the DL sales listed on the site.
PSV Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited [PlayStation Store] {DL} 5,254 5,254 Nippon Ichi Software 2014-01-30
PSV Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z [PlayStation Store] {DL} ? 2,143 Bandai Namco 2014-01-23
PSV Amagami [eb Kore+] [PlayStation Store] {DL} 2,014 2,014 Kadokawa Games 2014-01-30

Spiegel

So I've got to ask, Vita hardware sales seem to be better in Japan (300K+). However, the software sales just seem very anemic to me.

So software sales of the new titles this year so far are 228,462. Even with downloads and sales of old titles, do we even get an attach rate of one for this year (I guess FFX/X-2 might have pushed it over an attach rate of 1 for the new Vita owners since it's sold 72K this year)? Are the future announced Vita releases relatively bigger?

Dengeki (retail) 2014

Vita software - 713194

Vita Hardware - 300405

Top 20/30 doesn't paint the full picture. For example, this week:

Vita software - 56,057

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Dengeki (retail) 2014

Vita software - 713194

Vita Hardware - 300405

Top 20/30 doesn't paint the full picture. For example, this week:

Vita software - 56,057

Oh ok. That seems much better. The top 20/30 this week doesn't even represent 50% of the Vita SW sales for this week. Do we have similar #s for Wii U out of curiosity?

Decent hold for PS4 considering the software available for it. Great numbers from Vita, where are those Paul Bearer gifs !!! ;).

Here is an honest question...

Does the Vita recovery show that there is at least still a slight chance WiiU could stabilize at a much higher weekly average ?. I'm not talking 30k per week but how about 20k ?. If Nintendo could sell 20 000 WiiU consoles per week that would be around 1.5 million units per year (factoring in the Holiday bump) and around 7.5 million lifetime sales by early 2019.

Would Nintendo be happy with 7.5 million WiiU's sold for an entire generation in Japan ?.

kinggroin

Banned
Decent hold for PS4 considering the software available for it. Great numbers from Vita, where are those Paul Bearer gifs !!! ;).

Here is an honest question...

Does the Vita recovery show that there is at least still a slight chance WiiU could stabilize at a much higher weekly average ?. I'm not talking 30k per week but how about 20k ?. If Nintendo could sell 20 000 WiiU consoles per week that would be around 1.5 million units per year (factoring in the Holiday bump) and around 7.5 million lifetime sales by early 2019.

Would Nintendo be happy with 7.5 million WiiU's sold for an entire generation in Japan ?.

they'd probably be happy with that worldwide

cafemomo

I really hope Freedom Wars sells great because the game looks like its going above the boundaries of Monster Hunter and it looks better.

freedom wars looks like a product placement for yesstyle

Seriously though, I'm sure SCEJ will push it hard for it to do "respectable" numbers.

Personally, I'm more interested in gravity daze 2

Yes, because the Wii U will clearly be on the market and maintain sales rates more than twice what it does now for another 5 years.

Also, the PSV's "recovery" is localised and relatively mediocre.
Just out of curiousity, why does it matter what you call those people who play games? As long as people who play games, they are playing games.
Those aren't real games.

He's wrong as well, this is the only real game.

pong.gif

If it's not Pong, it's wrong.

Ty4on

No one bought soul sacrifice what are people buying vita's for?
Last week's bump to 30k was probably mostly caused by a new bundle called welcome box which included an 8 gig memory card, a pouch and the card is preloaded with some demos and free to play games. One of the demos is Soul Sacrifice Delta which may be why it shows some legs. I was hoping it would be well beyond 100k by the first week though :(

Yes, because the Wii U will clearly be on the market and maintain sales rates more than twice what it does now for another 5 years.

And that's my point, Vita was considered to be in just as bad a spot as WiiU not so long ago and now it's selling 30k per week. If WiiU sales improve and it gets to even 20k per week then it will most definitely still be around in 5 years.

Don't you expect any kind of improvement from Japanese WiiU hardware sales with MK8, a Zelda Dynasty Warriors title, Bayonetta 2, an exclusive Sonic, X and Smash all releasing in the last 7 months of the year ?.

And that's my point, Vita was considered to be in just as bad a spot as WiiU not so long ago and now it's selling 30k per week. If WiiU sales improve and it gets to even 20k per week then it will most definitely still be around in 5 years.

Don't you expect any kind of improvement from Japanese WiiU hardware sales with MK8, a Zelda Dynasty Warriors title, Bayonetta 2, an exclusive Sonic, X and Smash all releasing in the last 7 months of the year ?.
I expect nothing from Bayonetta and Sonic. I expect Mario Kart 8 will spike sales around the week of release and have an effect that will still ultimately be transient rather than sustained long term. Likewise Smash. I don't know what to expect from Hyrule Warriors considering the market for games like Dynasty Warriors isn't really on the platform.

The Vita received a price drop and a redesign towards qualities more suitable to the Japanese market. The Vita has a more robust release schedule. The Japanese market is more conducive to a platform like the Vita.

System's do not maintain yearly sales over the course of their lifetime. They peak and decay.

Fair enough. WiiU's 2014 lineup is much more Japanese rather than Western focused so if hardware sales improve anywhere this year then it will be in Japan imo. A WiiU Animal Crossing and MH4U announcement at E3 along with Zelda would see more Japanese focused 2015 titles aswell.

If I was Nintendo I would try and take advantage of the fact that there is only one main competitor in Japan and also of the fact that PS4 also won't have any major Japanese focused titles until 2015.

Shengar

On the vita software sales; didn't some source say that about half of purchases are digital?

Japan is still a retail centric market. While it seems true for WW, the digital sales number for Vita software in Japan is only 10% (it's the highest than other platform though).

casiopao

On the vita software sales; didn't some source say that about half of purchases are digital?

That is for ww.

For jpn, only around 8 to 12% and that is considered crazily high. This also only happen to several limited titles which usually had small shipment.

L Thammy

Vita's recovery has to do with its appealing to a (largely) niche audience through third party support. There's little reason to believe that the Wii U will get that. In fact, it would be pretty miraculous if it did.

Shengar

Vita's recovery has to do with its appealing to a (largely) niche audience through third party support. There's little reason to believe that the Wii U will get that. In fact, it would be pretty miraculous if it did.

Being a handheld helps Vita to establish profitable niche since the development cost on the platform isn't that high. Wii U need bigger user base if it want to have profitable niche and that indeed is impossible.

L Thammy

Being a handheld helps Vita to establish profitable niche since the development cost on the platform isn't that high. Wii U need bigger user base if it want to have profitable niche and that indeed is impossible.

More than that, the Vita has provided a better environment for third-party software. We've seen that games don't automatically bomb by virtue of being on the Vita, and some series can perform well, which is a lot more than you can say about the Wii U at this point.

Tomohawk

More than that, the Vita has provided a better environment for third-party software. We've seen that games don't automatically bomb by virtue of being on the Vita, and some series can perform well, which is a lot more than you can say about the Wii U at this point.

Ya i think given the position vita is in sales wise, sony has done an amazing job getting 3rd parties on board. Even though 3ds sales are ginormous compared to vitas, it seems to be getting alot more third party support, even if that support may not be from big franchises.

RalchAC

I'm not seeing it. It looks like a GE clone rather than having anything to do with MH.

It looks quite a lot better than GE, if you want my opinion (and I liked GE Burst despite its flaws). Buy I'm really hyped for this game, so maybe I'm not objective here.

WiiU will be lucky to crack 4 million units in Japan unless it has some kind of PS3 resurgence... and I don't really see that being likely.

I do think they'll crack seven million worldwide. I don't think they'll exceed 15 million units worldwide. NA will be the largest share, but I might even be optimistic placing it at 9 million units there.

All of these numbers could be much worse though. I'm thinking of LTD unit sales in year six. If it doesn't live that long the numbers could be lower.

In any case WiiU is likely to be the largest drop-off generation to generation any game hardware manufacturer has ever seen. 100 million units down to optimistically 15 million units.

PS3 might have looked in danger coming off of the PS2, but Nintendo will definitely lose both a higher percentage of their marketshare generation to generation than Sony did with the PS3, and in total unit sales. The only area they are likely to come out ahead is in profit. Sony lost twice as much in a year on the PS3 than if Nintendo had their recent losses for the next three.

I love Nintendo, but everything about WiiU has been an unmitigated disaster.

WiiU will be lucky to crack 4 million units in Japan unless it has some kind of PS3 resurgence... and I don't really see that being likely.

I do think they'll crack seven million worldwide. I don't think they'll exceed 15 million units worldwide. NA will be the largest share, but I might even be optimistic placing it at 9 million units there.

All of these numbers could be much worse though. I'm thinking of LTD unit sales in year six. If it doesn't live that long the numbers could be lower.

In any case WiiU is likely to be the largest drop-off generation to generation any game hardware manufacturer has ever seen. 100 million units down to optimistically 15 million units.

PS3 might have looked in danger coming off of the PS2, but Nintendo will definitely lose both a higher percentage of their marketshare generation to generation than Sony did with the PS3, and in total unit sales. The only area they are likely to come out ahead is in profit. Sony lost twice as much in a year on the PS3 than if Nintendo had their recent losses for the next three.

I love Nintendo, but everything about WiiU has been an unmitigated disaster.

9 million is optimistic as hell for the Wii U in North America
7 million sounds about right

Hmm, that reminds me, since Aquamarine doesn't seem to be active in MC sales threads, is there anyone else that will post Dengeki weekly sales?

Also, where can you find it being posted?

Found here: http://dengekionline.com/sp/softranking_top50/

where's Waldo Aquamarine

It's pretty easy to understand why what's happened to Vita won't happen to Wii U. Vita has consistent, even if the vast majority are niche, releases. Wii U is the very opposite of consistent. If Nintendo could somehow manage to get new games in the stores every week yes it could end up selling 20k a week. Of course, as has been gone over numerous times, there is no reason to develop for Wii U

9 million is optimistic as hell for the Wii U in North America
7 million sounds about right
Split the diff at 8?

This year in America I think Kart and Smash will give it its best year with around 1.6-1.9 million units. The year after back down to around 1.3 million, 1.1 the year after, 1 million units the next.

That's if they can get costs down enough to liven it up for a month every once in a while with deep price cuts.

Even this dire scenario requires them to have at least one year out-pacing their first by at least a half a million units.

In Japan I think the course is set to end around 3 million units. Marginally higher maybe, but not much so.

I expect Europe to be worse in the long run. I don't know if they even get to 3 million units there. I mean really sold through units.

Split the diff at 8?

This year in America I think Kart and Smash will give it its best year with around 1.6-1.9 million units. The year after back down to around 1.3 million, 1.1 the year after, 1 million units the next.

That's if they can get costs down enough to liven it up for a month every once in a while with deep price cuts.

Even this dire scenario requires them to have at least one year out-pacing their first by at least a half a million units.

In Japan I think the course is set to end around 3 million units. Marginally higher maybe, but not much so.

I expect Europe to be worse in the long run. I don't know if they even get to 3 million units there. I mean really sold through units.

Wii U being that alive in 2016 and 2017 seems very unlikely. By that point, Nintendo will be in full next handheld/QOL mode and Wii U will be left in the dust besides a few token games and Zelda assuming it doesn't launch in 2015. With that gamepad attached to the system, I doubt it ever goes below 199 outside of holiday deals especially if the console is selling poorly.

And to be honest, what exactly is going to happen next year? There is the possibility of Animal Crossing, but even that probably won't sell that well considering how City Folk did in comparison to wild world.

I think the Wii U will have a really good holiday season this year though. Smash launching with possible Mario Kart bundles should have it doing pretty well.

Shengar

God Eater 2 Vita charted in this week Dengeki Top 50

GE2 Vita 1,897/394,305
GE2 PSP 1,149/219,947

Game now 600K+ sell-through.
Wow at that PSP numbers. You have to break that 400k numbers Vita version! Make it for the Burst!
And localize it, pls.

Kid Ying

Zelda mudou is a weird product as in i dont know if its supposed to help gather a musou audience or an zelda audience on the wiiu, since ww sold like 50k in The end and musou hyper sold 40k. If its objective is overseas, then i think it males more sense, but why musou then? So weird.

But it may do sell on the fact it an exclusive. Not as well as the musou games on the ps3, but it might do as the samurai warriors game on the Wii. I dont know. Between zelda, kamen rider and bayonetta, nintendo is trying to cultivate an action oriented fanbase. Dont think it will matter much, but its better than nothing.

And i dont believe the wiiu will sell only 3 million in Japan. I think this year will be better than the last and if that happens, unless the system is killed fast next year, which is also dont think it will happen, males 3 million a lock.

TheChaos0

God Eater 2 Vita charted in this week Dengeki Top 50

GE2 Vita 1,897/394,305
GE2 PSP 1,149/219,947

Game now 600K+ sell-through.

What's impressive is that there is an almost 1 to 2 PSP to Vita sale ratio.
1.8% to be exact

Can we expect Burst release this Autumn? (judging by God Eater -> God Eater Burst release difference)

RalchAC

Those aren't real games.

He's wrong as well, this is the only real game.

pong.gif

If it's not Pong, it's wrong.

I suppose Snake won't get any love since it was a F2P mobile phone. It was F2P done right though xD

And the mobile phone where it was installed was unbreakable lol

What's impressive is that there is an almost 1 to 2 PSP to Vita sale ratio.
1.8% to be exact

Can we expect Burst release this Autumn? (judging by God Eater -> God Eater Burst release difference)

I think so. What I'm curious to see is the platforms it'll be released. Vita exclusive? PS3/Vita? Vita / 3DS would be hard since the game won't have cross-platform multiplayer and they don't want to fragment the userbase.

TheChaos0

I think so. What I'm curious to see is the platforms it'll be released. Vita exclusive? PS3/Vita? Vita / 3DS would be hard since the game won't have cross-platform multiplayer and they don't want to fragment the userbase.

I'm not sure about 3DS, that would be a big surprise to me. Vita is exclusive, I can almost see it, if they want to encourage people to transfer to Vita but I doubt it. It's going to be PSP and Vita. I'm pretty sure next God Eater will drop PSP though.

RalchAC

I'm not sure about 3DS, that would be a big surprise to me. Vita is exclusive, I can almost see it, if they want to encourage people to transfer to Vita but I doubt it. It's going to be PSP and Vita. I'm pretty sure next God Eater will drop PSP though.

Do we know if Toukiden expansion is Vita only or Vita / PSP ?

With the Vita selling decently and the PSP being in it 10th year, people still consider the PSP a possibility? I'd be really surprised.

I think Toukiden is going to have the Vita and a homeconsole next. Tecmo doesn't usually stick to a single platform and it'll be (kinda) smart to release the 1.5 version on a platform that doesn't sell like shit in the West (lowing risk and that stuff). Tecmo has been releasing games on the 360 for years iirc, so there is a precedent.

Zelda mudou is a weird product as in i dont know if its supposed to help gather a musou audience or an zelda audience on the wiiu, since ww sold like 50k in The end and musou hyper sold 40k. If its objective is overseas, then i think it males more sense, but why musou then? So weird.

But it may do sell on the fact it an exclusive. Not as well as the musou games on the ps3, but it might do as the samurai warriors game on the Wii. I dont know. Between zelda, kamen rider and bayonetta, nintendo is trying to cultivate an action oriented fanbase. Dont think it will matter much, but its better than nothing.

And i dont believe the wiiu will sell only 3 million in Japan. I think this year will be better than the last and if that happens, unless the system is killed fast next year, which is also dont think it will happen, males 3 million a lock.

How I see it.

WiiU will get to 2.8 million this year. Around 3.5 million by the end of next year. 4 million LTD.

4 million LTD is disastrous.

Hellraider

Do we know if Toukiden expansion is Vita only or Vita / PSP ?

I can see them pulling a Ragnarok Odyssey by adding a PS3 version to the mix, but there definitely won't be a PSP version.

A PS4 version would also be interesting but I doubt it. I wonder if any Japanese developer will port their PSV games to PS4 just how the did with their PS3 games to PSV. It could be a start since they sure are hell are not developing any new games.

TheChaos0

With the Vita selling decently and the PSP being in it 10th year, people still consider the PSP a possibility? I'd be really surprised.

I think Toukiden is going to have the Vita and a homeconsole next. Tecmo doesn't usually stick to a single platform and it'll be (kinda) smart to release the 1.5 version on a platform that doesn't sell like shit in the West (lowing risk and that stuff). Tecmo has been releasing games on the 360 for years iirc, so there is a precedent.

I'm just not ruling out the possibility, that's all. I'm not going to be surprised either way but next iterations will drop PSP.

I'm not seeing it. It looks like a GE clone rather than having anything to do with MH.

It may have similarities but its clearly different especially if you have seen the latest trailer which shows PvP and the thorns also help create more mobility unlike GodEater.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
01./00. [PS3] Dark Souls II <RPG> (From Software) {2014.03.13} (¥7.800) - 255.197 / NEW <90,19%>
___

21./24. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.11.21} (¥5.985)
22./08. [PS4] Knack # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥5.145)
23./16. [PSV] Deception IV: Blood Ties # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.02.27} (¥6.090)
24./20. [PS4] Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition <ADV> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥4.800)
25./30. [3DS] Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.12.05} (¥6.090)
26./19. [3DS] Kuroko's Basketball: Miracle Victory <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.02.20} (¥5.980)
27./25. [3DS] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2014.02.06} (¥5.229)
28./26. [PS4] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2014.02.22} (¥8.820)
29./18. [PS3] Deception IV: Blood Ties # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.02.27} (¥7.140)
30./28. [PS4] Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.02.22} (¥8.190)
31./35. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
32./38. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800)
33./27. [PS4] Killzone: Shadow Fall <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥7.245)
34./39. [PS3] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2013.11.07} (¥7.665)
35./31. [3DS] Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.10.17} (¥4.980)
36./34. [PSV] Terraria <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2014.02.06} (¥2.980)
37./36. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2013.12.26} (¥4.800)
38./37. [PS4] FIFA 14 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665)
39./42. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800)
40./45. [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 # <ACT> (Sega) {2013.11.28} (¥6.279)
41./44. [3DS] Aikatsu! Futari no My Princess <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480)
42./29. [PS4] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥7.980)
43./41. [PS3] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.12.26} (¥7.140)
44./49. [3DS] Disney Magic World # <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.01} (¥5.480)
45./00. [PSV] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster: Twin Pack # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.12.26} (¥7.140)
46./00. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.11.14} (¥7.980)
47./32. [PSV] Valhalla Knights 3: Gold <RPG> (Marvelous AQL) {2014.02.27} (¥5.229)
48./00. [PSV] God Eater 2 # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.14} (¥5.980)
49./00. [PSV] Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds - Limited Edition <FTG> (5pb.) {2014.03.13} (¥5.040)
50./00. [3DS] One Piece: Unlimited World Red # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.980)

Top 50

3DS - 22
PS3 - 9
PS4 - 9
PSV - 7
WIU - 2
360 - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------