• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2016 (Mar 21 - Mar 27)

Pooya

I clicked on this page and was "711K for SO5" and I was like what, then saw the real thing...

Now about VP3 proposal, lol. They should have made that one first. It was really unexpected that this game was even made honestly.

I still think Nier will do better, well it can't do worse I guess but a lot better than this.

Go_Ly_Dow

It's time we say goodbye and farewell to Tri-aces little console revival. :(

Back to the mobile game drawing board they go. :(

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
sure, star ocean on 3ds would have saved the game industry, as usual
What did the 3DS ever do to you - chill lol.

SO5 performance is proving again that on home consoles you need to go big or go home unless you have a hardcore fanbase that will eat up every release. FFXV, Persona and DQXI will do well on homeconsoles because they are big IPs and the games will be very polished releases.

Just "solid" rpgs ala SO5 dont really cut it anymore if the game isnt on handhelds as well. Thats the reason why if somehow possible all these japanese games hit PS Vita as well in addition to PS3/PS4.

Which is also the main reason why the NX handheld will be needed for consoles games that cant be easily ported to Vita down the line.

So what is happening to the JRPG crowd on PS platforms? We have had quite a few casualties in the past few years.

We can discuss isolated cases like SO5, but I think we should also try to analyze the situation as a whole.

I mean, Setsuna launched to pitiful sales and it charted for what, two weeks?

What did the 3DS ever do to you - chill lol.

SO5 performance is proving again that on home consoles you need to go big or go home unless you have a hardcore fanbase that will eat up every release. FFXV, Persona and DQXI will do well on homeconsoles because they are big IPs and the games will be very polished releases.

Just "solid" rpgs ala SO5 dont really cut it anymore if the game isnt on handhelds as well. Thats the reason why if somehow possible all these japanese games hit PS Vita as well in addition to PS3/PS4.

Which is also the main reason why the NX handheld will be needed for consoles games that cant be easily ported to Vita down the line.

I don't think having handheld version of SO5 would have changed that much. When the game opens way lower than its prequel on fricking X360 in Japan it tells me that the issue is more with the franchise than with the lowish userbase of PS4.

Go_Ly_Dow

So what is happening to the JRPG crowd on PS platforms? We have had quite a few casualties in the past few years.

We can discuss isolated cases like SO5, but I think we should also try to analyze the situation as a whole.

For what Setsuna is I would say it's performance was solid. Inline with Falcoms low budget titles.

SO5 combined LTD of PS3 + PS4 + digital may just fall shy of the 200K mark. .... maybe....

It's bad, but it's the new ballpark given the decline in market size and demand for AAA over midtier.

test_account

XP-39C²
sure, star ocean on 3ds would have saved the game industry, as usual
Could have been Vita too :)

Are there any differences on other platforms?

Zhao_Yun

Well, I guess as a SO fan I should be happy that they at least gave the series another entry, but I don't see SE greenlightning SO6 after these results.

This is what happens when you consort with foreigners, Square Enix!!

Weeping for Star Ocean and the future of AA JRPGs on consoles.

L~A

Media Create:

PS4 30,081
New3DS LL 22,020
Vita 17,153
New3DS 5,376
Wii U 3,541
3DS 2,069
PS3 1,537
3DS LL 342
Xbox One 207

Star Ocean 5: 113k
Yo-kai Sangokushi: 269k

Maniel

Banned
Media Create:

PS4 30,081
New3DS LL 22,020
Vita 17,153
New3DS 5,376
Wii U 3,541
3DS 2,069
PS3 1,537
3DS LL 342
Xbox One 207

Star Ocean 5: 113k
Yo-kai Sangokushi: 269k

lol I'm actually happy with that SOV result. That's pretty sad.

Saoshyant

Yeah, when the high budget JRPG is selling the same as the tiny budget Unity one, there is a massive problem with that market and publishers will shift accordingly. This is very likely the end of all higher budget JRPGs that aren't named Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy and, eventually, even those because -- indies aside -- game making isn't becoming any cheaper.

Edit: oh, this is what I get for leaving the window open without refreshing for a couple of minutes. At least SO5 did better than Setsuna, but those numbers are still rather dire.

Top Bottom