• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2016 (Mar 21 - Mar 27)

gar3

I'm still waiting for my physical copy of Strangers of Sword City to ship from Japan. Seeing those XB1 console sales makes me think it'll never ship :-(

[PS4] Dark Souls III <RPG> (From Software) {2016.03.24} (¥7.430) - 218.764 / NEW <80-100%>
[PS3] Dark Souls II <RPG> (From Software) {2014.03.13} (¥7.800) - 256.701 / NEW <90.19%>
[360] Dark Souls II <RPG> (From Software) {2014.03.13} (¥7.800) - 5.945 / NEW <73.42%>

Dark Souls 4 sold 43.882 physical units less than Souls 2 in the same time frame (3 days tracking).

EDIT:
I was mixing Famitsu with Mediacreate numbers. I corrected them with all Famitsu.

EDIT2:
February digital share for PS4 titles was 18.97%: factoring this would add 41.499 digital units placing DSouls 4 to 260.263 units overall.

Alo0oy

Banned
[PS4] Dark Souls III <RPG> (From Software) {2016.03.24} (¥7.430) - 210.141 / NEW
[PS3] Dark Souls II <RPG> (From Software) {2014.03.13} (¥7.800) - 255.197 / NEW <90,19%>

Dark Souls 4 sold 45.056 units less than Souls 2 in the same time frame (3 days tracking).

I'd love to get my hands on Dark Souls 4. :p

[PS4] Dark Souls III <RPG> (From Software) {2016.03.24} (¥7.430) - 210.141 / NEW
[PS3] Dark Souls II <RPG> (From Software) {2014.03.13} (¥7.800) - 255.197 / NEW <90,19%>

Dark Souls 4 sold 45.056 units less than Souls 2 in the same time frame (3 days tracking).
DS3's digital portion should even things out though.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I don't think PS4 dropped below 20k since last September, so I'd say 20k is the absolute minimum.

Next week? Probabily not, but is gonna be very hard not drop under 20K in April

Star Ocean V is releasing tomorrow, so if anything, the week after the next will be interesting.

That's right, forgot about that. Still, the first week of April is always depressing, so i don't expect a good hold.

But we both expected ~35K for PS4. We got it right!

True, but after some news about how well PS4 was selling i started to believe in a bit more like hiska said. :-/

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
There's a lot of people that already have the console. It shouldn't be affecting pokken that much.

Are we still talking about WiiU ? xD
Obviously its not a big deal but not having the console available right now doesnt help any new release.

mao2

Dark Souls 4 sold 51.006 units less than Souls 2 in the same time frame (3 days tracking).
When Dark Souls II was released, PS3's LTD was 9,875,141, whereas PS4's LTD is currently 2,653,679. Considering the huge difference in install base, I think DSIII did OK.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
PS4 hardware sales are weirdly consistant! The last 6 months it keeps selling between 25k and 35k, with no major spikes up or down (outside the yearly holiday bump). The reaction to new game releases was bigger last year, but so were the drops when nothing got released. This might indicate a more healthy q2 and q3 for the PS4 compared to last year, no?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
When Dark Souls II was released, PS3's LTD was 9,875,141, whereas PS4's LTD is currently 2,653,679. Considering the huge difference in install base, I think DSIII did OK.

Ah, this logic.

When Dark Souls was released it sold 280k on a 7 million userbase.

test_account

XP-39C²
I bet digital sales are quiet high. Much higher than usual.
Well, its hard to say. DS3 does have 1931 votes on the PS Store, which seems to be good at least.

Sorry if I wasn´t clear. By cheap I meant their general approach and lackluster pre-launch marketing, starting so late surely has an obvious affect on sales. Otherwise they wouldn´t do the complete opposite with FF15 with several events among other things, something that surely will get even more aggressive when we approach one month before launch, if previous FF game launches are any indication.
Sure, more promotion and starting earlier would make more people aware of the game before it come out, and that is good of course, indeed. I just wanted to comment on this specific promotion, that i dont think it would change much if it was done right before the release or right after (unless bad WoM) :) The lack of advertising in general would be an issue on its own. Its possible that Hiska-kun was thinking more about the amount of advertising in general.

Any chance to get some number from digital sales of Dark Souls 3? Should be a pretty high (for XBox) number thanks to all of you impatient guys getting it from the japanese store in order to play it. ;)

crinale

PS4 hardware sales are weirdly consistant! The last 6 months it keeps selling between 25k and 35k, with no major spikes up or down (outside the yearly holiday bump). The reaction to new game releases was bigger last year, but so were the drops when nothing got released. This might indicate a more healthy q2 and q3 for the PS4 compared to last year, no?

Yeah PS4 selling steadily in Japan isn't something many people here expected (and I wouldn't be surprised if Sony weren't expecting much either).

Maniel

Banned
So what are the big games for ps4 to keep hardware moving during the summer? I can only think of DQH2 and Persona 5
lol

horuhe

That's right, forgot about that. Still, the first week of April is always depressing, so i don't expect a good hold.

There is the Golden Week. Something not really helpful for Sony, but yeah. Not really April, but May gonna be the worst month of the industry, and not surprisingly, each year since 201x is happenning this situation.

What do we expect for Star Ocean?

Following this trending of "bad results" and Yo-Kai shining alone, even 90k or 95k are quite possible.

I'm on holiday in Japan at the moment (been here for a week and a half), and really haven't seen much of anything for Dark Souls 3 around in terms of advertising. Mind you, that's just an uneducated observation so what do I know?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Eh, I'm not saying that it's the only factor affecting sales. 2.6 million PS4s is still a low install base and surely it has some impact, no?

For so low sellers install base has small impact. When games like FF come out then we'll start talking and even there install base has more to do with legs than opening week.

sense

There is the Golden Week. Something not really helpful for Sony, but yeah. Not really April, but May gonna be the worst month of the industry, and not surprisingly, each year since 201x is happenning this situation.

Following this trending of "bad results" and Yo-Kai shining alone, even 90k or 95k are quite possible.

damn i am going to be so wrong on star ocean with my prediction of 250k to 300k for the month lol. hope it is 90% digital and has huge legs!

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Very thanks to Oscar Lemaire for this.

Dark Souls series and BloodBorne

CezM17mXEAExQ_j.jpg:large

Dragon Quest Monsters

Project Diva

Dead or Alive Extreme

Vena

damn i am going to be so wrong on star ocean with my prediction of 250k to 300k for the month lol. hope it is 90% digital and has huge legs!

I think 80k is abit of an extreme gutting, but I do think the 100-120k of YSO was pretty much on point. But there was just no way it was going to blast past its own top selling records by that much to sell 250k, not after SOIV.

That seems rather low .
Did it not sell more than back in day on 360 in the first week .

Yes,

crinale

I'm on holiday in Japan at the moment (been here for a week and a half), and really haven't seen much of anything for Dark Souls 3 around in terms of advertising. Mind you, that's just an uneducated observation so what do I know?

Well if you compare to DS3, DQMJ3's promotion is million times bigger (and like others stated DQMJ3 hasn't received real push either). However I think pouring marketing money on DS3 wouldn't change unit sales by much.

Considering how far did they go in putting an underage looking girl and generous butt cracks, I was expecting DOAX 3 to sell more.

The PS4 version sold almost the same as DOAX 2 on 360.

Sterok

Splatoon 2nd week: 01./01. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 68.913 / 213.731 (-52%)

Pokken 2nd week: 05./01. [WIU] Pokken Tournament # <FTG> (Pokemon Co.) {2016.03.18} (¥7.200) - 28.331 / 98.007 (-59%)

Pokken to sell 500K confirmed.

Joker 3 seems a little low, but it can leg out to something good. Everything else seems just fine.

mao2

For so low sellers install base has small impact. When games like FF come out then we'll start talking and even there install base has more to do with legs than opening week.
I do agree with you on that but the difference between DSII and DSIII isn't that huge...

Darius

Banned
Well, its hard to say. DS3 does have 1931 votes on the PS Store, which seems to be good at least.

Sure, more promotion and starting earlier would make more people aware of the game before it come out, and that is good of course, indeed. I just wanted to comment on this specific promotion, that i dont think it would change much if it was done right before the release or right after (unless bad WoM) :) The lack of advertising in general would be an issue on its own. Its possible that Hiska-kun was thinking more about the amount of advertising in general.

How so? Less awareness at launch means, retailers do not need a new shipment as quickly if the initial run is big enough, 60%-80% as shown by Famitsu doesn´t indicate any shortages. And unless you have a new phenomena in your hand, hype and interest will cool down rather quickly, with more and more used copies in circulation as a further negative factor. Keep in mind that this specific promotion you refer to didn´t even start yet. More than weekly sales, the problem lies that it might affect retail orders.

Well if you compare to DS3, DQMJ3's promotion is million times bigger (and like others stated DQMJ3 hasn't received real push either). However I think pouring marketing money on DS3 wouldn't change unit sales by much.

Yeah, I think the series has basically found its audience and is unlikely to increase much from where it is regardless of marketing etc. Makes me wonder what the budget is on these games? Seem to be pretty smartly managed.

Just giving an observation for people who think numbers are disappointing. I'm not sure if they are or aren't. Most of the adverts I've seen are for the 3DS selections line!

Maniel

Banned
Yeah, I think the series has basically found its audience and is unlikely to increase much from where it is regardless of marketing etc. Makes me wonder what the budget is on these games? Seem to be pretty smartly managed.

Just giving an observation for people who think numbers are disappointing. I'm not sure if they are or aren't. Most of the adverts I've seen are for the 3DS selections line!

I find them disappointing relative to my expectations. I have no doubt Square and From made money from these games though.

Sterok

16./11. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.03.17} (¥2.700) - 7.806 / 14.737 (+13%)
19./30. [3DS] Tomodachi Life [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.03.17} (¥2.700) - 5.120 / 8.252 (+63%)

New releases increasing on their second week. This is a long shot, but I think these may have legs guys.

Regiruler

Are we still talking about WiiU ? xD
Obviously its not a big deal but not having the console available right now doesnt help any new release.

That's true, but is pokken necessarily something that drives new adopters moreso than appealing to the current install base? This isn't rhetorical by the way, I have no idea.

Top Bottom