• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2017 (Mar 20 - Mar 26)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DOA6 confirmed? :p

No, no, of course not.

Releasing games in the west hasn’t always been this easy for Koei Tecmo, though. Back in 2015, the publisher was caught up in some controversies regarding the representation of women in Dead or Alive Xtreme 3.

“We always try to develop and release our games with the utmost consideration of each territory’s culture,” Watanabe prudently answers when asked if Koei Tecmo keeps this issue in mind when it releases a game in the west.

“This is the main reason we did not release Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 in the western regions, as we felt it didn’t represent the values of the west and so would not appeal to western players.”

saichi

There's no way Zelda BotW won't be clearing at the very least 500k on the Switch alone. It's just going to keep selling. Nice.

I think it will be over 700K when all said and done. Ocarina of Time 3DS ended with LT about 4x of opening week. I expect BotW will do the same.

zeromcd73

Don't think anyone has talked about this yet:
Famitsu Sales: Week 13, 2017 (Mar 20 - Mar 26)

18./00. [PS4] Deus Ex: Mankind Divided <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.03.23} (¥7.800) - 4.042 / NEW <20-40%>

Holy shit those numbers are awful. Japan following after the west with this one.

What is the point of a proper account system again? If the system is not compatible with the previous systems software, why should it matter if the software is transferable or not?
Switch is light years ahead of the 3DS/WII u account system. It's also handy you don't have to file a police report if you lose the system.

hongcha

What is the point of a proper account system again? If the system is not compatible with the previous systems software, why should it matter if the software is transferable or not?

Systems break and are stolen. People like to buy special editions or new models, often AFTER selling the previous one. Calling up Nintendo each time and explaining your situation is a huge hassle and there is no 100% guarantee it will work. I would have bought a lot more digitally on my 3DS if their system was like Sony's or Microsoft's. Switch is an improvement in that the user can activate/deactivate an account on a different system, but you still can't transfer an account by yourself if the system is broken or stolen. They need a web-based system to do this, like their competitors. Until they do, they won't see the great digital sales numbers that Sony sees. Nintendo must be working on this, they must know they are losing out on a lot of money. Digital sales are the IDEAL sale for any video game company: nothing to manufacture, and no way for the user to sell it.

A little off topic but could Puyo Puyo Tetris be the second best selling Tetris game in modern times (DS onwards) even in the west? Obviously Tetris DS was a beast but other than that as far as I know all Tetris games have performed quite poorly.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think it will be over 700K when all said and done. Ocarina of Time 3DS ended with LT about 4x of opening week. I expect BotW will do the same.

I expect a bit more - but lets see how it does during the Holidays and with the upcoming DLC first.

Orgen

I think KT is trying to get some western IP to make musou games. I don't know what's the EA deal with the Brand but a Star Wars Musou could sell pretty well.

KtSlime

Holy shit those numbers are awful. Japan following after the west with this one.

Switch is light years ahead of the 3DS/WII u account system. It's also handy you don't have to file a police report if you lose the system.

Systems break and are stolen. People like to buy special editions or new models, often AFTER selling the previous one. Calling up Nintendo each time and explaining your situation is a huge hassle and there is no 100% guarantee it will work. I would have bought a lot more digitally on my 3DS if their system was like Sony's or Microsoft's. Switch is an improvement in that the user can activate/deactivate an account on a different system, but you still can't transfer an account by yourself if the system is broken or stolen. They need a web-based system to do this, like their competitors. Until they do, they won't see the great digital sales numbers that Sony sees. Nintendo must be working on this, they must know they are losing out on a lot of money. Digital sales are the IDEAL sale for any video game company: nothing to manufacture, and no way for the user to sell it.

Not saying that it shouldn't be improved, and of course having an account system like Apple or Sony, etc has is great. However, I often see people claiming that this is a huge oversight by Nintendo, when it really is just a minor inconvenience. As to it getting broken, I'd simply prefer Nintendo put work into making a system that doesn't break (so far all are still in perfect working order) rather than one that is easy to transfer software. Theft is a problem though (but not much of a problem in Japan)

I don't see how it will improve Nintendo's digital sales however, the only reason Sony gets (mediocre) digital sales is because they are willing slash prices heavily and often, something I doubt Nintendo has any interest in doing.

Even with accounts, you do not own the software (and even though I say that, I have many Steam and AppStore purchased games/software).

zeromcd73: if you lose a console, even if it is easy to transfer accounts, I still highly recommend filing a police report.

hiska-kun

Zelda TP VS BotW
Zelda_zpsbooun64k.jpg

Twilight Princess sold 546.093 units on Wii LTD

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Breath of the Wild has the advantage it's the leading
only
title on Switch unlike Twilight Princess on Wii. We'll see how it holds after Mario Kart is out but again it benefits from the lack of software on the system at first months.

cw_sasuke

Breath of the Wild has the advantage it's the leading
only
title on Switch unlike Twilight Princess on Wii. We'll see how it holds after Mario Kart is out but again it benefits from the lack of software on the system at first months.

Its main advantage is that its the much better title than TP and on a system that will likely cater to more of a core audience than the Wii ever did.

BotW will stick around for some time.

Holy shit at those PS4 digital numbers. Hopefully with Switch having a proper account system it can follow along together with PS4.

MK8D doing nicely on comg. Super ouch at FE and Mario sports star.

I think it's also lack of default storage space on Nintendo systems that hurts digital adoption on Nintendos consoles. Yes you can buy additional storage space but probably pretty few people do it. Even Vita has way lower digital numbers than PS4.

cw_sasuke

I think it's also lack of default storage space on Nintendo systems that hurts digital adoption on Nintendos consoles. Yes you can buy additional storage space but probably pretty few people do it. Even Vita has way lower digital numbers than PS4.

Hmm dont know about that...hell my 5y old niece just asked for bigger sd card for the Toycamera she got last Christmas. 3DS was fine and the Switch is pretty much the continuation of it.

Hard to believe that someone would buy a console for 300 bucks and then never buy digital content for the generation, just because they dont wanna upgrade the storage.

I think the Wii U requiring a big bulky hard drive probably hurt its digital figures but with 3ds and switch just needing a SD card i cant see being much of an issue and we have seen some 3ds games with high digital rates, download cards also screw the figures as famitsu cant them in their retail charts rather than their dodgy digital estimates

Oreiller

Yeah, this is probably a factor. There are many digital games I haven't bought on Wii U because I can't be bothered to buy an extra hard drive.

cw_sasuke

WiiU was a system that many owners werent too heavenly invested in to begin with...so it didnt make much sense to get a big HDD for the couple of digital games one would purchase - especially since the HDD could only be used on Switch after you formatted it.

As said Switch is the continuation of the 3DS approach instead of what we had on WiiU storage wise.

I used a 128gb USB stick for years on my WiiU without an issue - most people didnt even knew you could use USB sticks or just didnt care enough to bother with Nintendos account system and the lack of sales/content.

Zedark

Comgnet preorder stats / comparisons, as of March 30th, 2017

[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 52pt*
[WIU] Mario Kart 8 - 70pt*
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 105pt

A quick question: these preorder points for MK8 on WiiU and MK7 on 3DS are the cumulative total preorders up to launch, correct? Combining that with the observation that preorder points indicate more sales per point right now, that would mean MK8D should be absolutely massive, even compared to those other MK games, right? Or am I missing something in my interpretation of the point system?

Arynio

A quick question: these preorder points for MK8 on WiiU and MK7 on 3DS are the cumulative total preorders up to launch, correct? Combining that with the observation that preorder points indicate more sales per point right now, that would mean MK8D should be absolutely massive, even compared to those other MK games, right? Or am I missing something in my interpretation of the point system?

As far as I know, those numbers are for the equivalent time frame prior to launch.

Orgen

FE doing so "bad" is yet another proof that a remake is a remake. Unless you think next main entry of FE on 3DS would sell the same with this.

FE: Echoes was made with the west in mind so I don't expect big numbers in Japan (300.000 LTD at max)

Its main advantage is that its the much better title than TP and on a system that will likely cater to more of a core audience than the Wii ever did.

BotW will stick around for some time.

TP had inmense hype though. It was the "true" successor to Ocarina of Time. We'll see the legs of BoTW but after MK8DX is released we'll see which is the tentpole game for Switch.

Can MK8DX out do MHXX's launch week numbers?

I'd like to think so.

First week? No chance in hell, I don't think it'll reach half of MHXX's launch week numbers (that'd be impressive btw). LTD? Probably.

PS: I'm ready to eat crow on all of this... but it'll be pretty surprising to see FE: Echoes selling more than 300.000, Zelda more than 700.000 and MK8DX having a 800.000 FW.

Draxal

FE doing so "bad" is yet another proof that a remake is a remake. Unless you think next main entry of FE on 3DS would sell the same with this.

How bad do exclusive online special editions like the new Fire Emblem hurt preorders for the normal edition for a series with a hardcore fanbase like Fire Emblem?

Valentia/Echoes is particularly wanted as it as bonus disc of all the CGs from RD, Awakening and Fates.

L~A

Can MK8DX out do MHXX's launch week numbers?

I'd like to think so.

At launch? It's downright impossible. MHXX is 848k - 1m (depending on tracker). No way MK8D sells that much at launch. LTD? Maybe.

By the way, best debut ever for a Mario Kart game is 608.147 (Mario Kart Wii, released in 2008).

Branduil

FE: Echoes was made with the west in mind so I don't expect big numbers in Japan (300.000 LTD at max)

TP had inmense hype though. It was the "true" successor to Ocarina of Time. We'll see the legs of BoTW but after MK8DX is released we'll see which is the tentpole game for Switch.

First week? No chance in hell, I don't think it'll reach half of MHXX's launch week numbers (that'd be impressive btw). LTD? Probably.

PS: I'm ready to eat crow on all of this... but it'll be pretty surprising to see FE: Echoes selling more than 300.000, Zelda more than 700.000 and MK8DX having a 800.000 FW.

LTD between MHXX and MK8 DX won't even be a competition.

I haven't played Mankind Divided yet, but its reception makes me sad since it seems to bode so poorly for the future of the series. The WIi U version of Human Revolution Director's Cut was one of my favourite games of the past few years.

orioto

Good Art™
By the way where is Disgaea 5 and how did it do in Japan ?

I would say that's a small problem if it tanked badly, cause that's symbolically the only Switch title that is really targeted at Vita's audience.

It's important for Nintendo to catch that market.

250k for Mario Kart at launch will be amazing. It will have massive legs and a great Christmas. Isn't this going to be the lowest install base a Mario Kart has ever launched to?

KtSlime

By the way where is Disgaea 5 and how did it do in Japan ?

I would say that's a small problem if it tanked badly, cause that's symbolically the only Switch title that is really targeted at Vita's audience.

It's important for Nintendo to catch that market.

Disgaea targets no one currently...

It's one copy is for sale used at my local Geo, for 5980 plus tax. (I kid, yeah it isn't selling well)

As of right now there is no galge on Switch, so there are no games targeting Vita's audience.

BriBri

And here I thought February charts could include Switch's debut week by miracle, damn it.

At least, we got an unexpected sneak peak at a digital-only game with SnipperClips' sales at retail, lol.
I'm more looking forward to seeing 53,000 for Monster Hunter XX than I am 8,000 for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild!

Top Bottom