• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2013 (Mar 25 - Mar 31)

Soriku

Oh, Nirolak, this seems important as well:
Okay then. Current-gen platforms it is. Tales of Xillia and Tales of Xillia 2, which came out in Japan last November, are both PS3 exclusives. And when I asked Baba to share some words about the future of his longrunning series, he said they plan to stick with the consoles we know and love.

"Foremost we just want to make sure that we're able to provide the next titles on a console that a lot of our fans already have," he said. "So basically there's just a lot of things that we keep bringing to the plate, whether it's stories or characters, whatever console it may be, we want to make sure we bring the best to the fans."

---

I'd say it'd be in Sony's interests to secure it for PS4 to get Japan to start buying the system asap.

I imagine Tales fans will be on board either way. Vesperia came out on PS3 in 2009 and did very well without another prior Tales game. Then Graces F also did well, then Xillia 1 and 2...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay so now that we can add Tales to our "not Wii U" list, given that Sengoku Basara was also announced for PS3, what are the remaining moderately sized Japanese franchises we are expecting have at least a fair chance of coming to the system?

I think we made a list about ~20 threads ago, but I'm not sure if I have it anymore.

Oh, Nirolak, this seems important as well:
Yeah, I think it makes a lot of sense for Namco.

This gen they wasted a ton of sales potential hopping to every possible platform, so them being reluctant to do that now is a sound business strategy.

DaBoss

Not really. He's trying to draw attention to the game mostly selling through the much-touted high stock months after the fact and at reduced prices, which isn't ideal. These things matter more than some here are willing to admit, in the way it affects Capcom's ability to negotiate with retail on stocking future releases.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here in regards to MH3G. And I'm not even sure about where you got the bolded. Are you talking about retail promotions which are normal?

How many years will it take for Japanese developers to come to grips with PS4?

How long did it take for the PS3?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Okay so now that we can add Tales to our "not Wii U" list, given that Sengoku Basara was also announced for PS3, what are the remaining moderately sized Japanese franchises we are expecting have at least a fair chance of coming to the system?

I think we made a list about ~20 threads ago, but I'm not sure if I have it anymore.

Frankly, until we actually get a Japanese 3rd party Wii U announcement (IIRC we have had 1 in 4-5 months- RE:Revelations), I think the most prudent guess is to say none.

Mario007

This gen they wasted a ton of sales potential hopping to every possible platform, so them being reluctant to do that now is a sound business strategy.
I think Persona is the only one that fits the description but I double Atlus would make a Wii U/Ps3 multiplat and I don't think there's a chance P5 misses a chance to be on Ps3 or Vita (or Ps4 if they take like 2-3 years from now to make it)

Soriku

I could be wrong but I felt like he was implying there'll be a few more Tales for PS3? When they do make the next gen jump though (when they feel like fans are on board with next gen), they ought to stick with PS4. This gen should've made it clear that people want console Tales on a Sony console.

Bruno MB

Not really. He's trying to draw attention to the game mostly selling through the much-touted high stock months after the fact and at reduced prices, which isn't ideal. These things matter more than some here are willing to admit, in the way it affects Capcom's ability to negotiate with retail on stocking future releases.

The situation isn't as bad as this example, but Game and Wario will eventually sell 100k+ units which will make it look like less of a failure down the line when we look at LTD sales. It's still a colossal bomb regardless.

At least I acknowledge you're really trying you hardest in your personal crusade against the evident success of Monster Hunter 3G.

Regarding Wii U third-party games, we shouldn't forget about Taiko no Tatsujin, other than that, I can't see Wii U getting any moderately big.

If AC holds steady at 60k minimum, we're looking at it past AC:WW by the end of the year, even without the holiday boosts and such. Its gotta slow down sometime, but this is uncharted territory right here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Frankly, until we actually get a Japanese 3rd party Wii U announcement (IIRC we have had 1 in 4-5 months- RE:Revelations), I think the most prudent guess is to say none.
Yeah I think the thing that has surprised me the most is not that there's "silence" (as in no larger titles), but actual silence (as in no retail games at all).

I think Persona is the only one that fits the description but I double Atlus would make a Wii U/Ps3 multiplat and I don't think there's a chance P5 misses a chance to be on Ps3 or Vita (or Ps4 if they take like 2-3 years from now to make it)
That did come to mind, though they seem to be taking five billion years to announce the game at all.

I could be wrong but I felt like he was implying there'll be a few more Tales for PS3? When they do make the next gen jump though (when they feel like fans are on board with next gen), they ought to stick with PS4. This gen should've made it clear that people want console Tales on a Sony console.
Personally I would expect at least 2013 and 2014's games to be on PS3.

If AC holds steady at 60k minimum, we're looking at it past AC:WW by the end of the year, even without the holiday boosts and such. Its gotta slow down sometime, but this is uncharted territory right here.

At first upon reading your post 5M seemed to me a little far-fetched, but I've just checked on Garaph and it seems so far New leaf is performing in line with Wild world, if not slightly better, isn't it?

Road

Code:
Wii   Japanese 3rd party releases until Jun 30 2007:

Wii   AQ Interactive      Victorious Boxers: Revolution                                                 21/06/2007
Wii   ATLUS               Trauma Center: Second Opinion                                                 02/12/2006
Wii   Bandai Namco Games  Ennichi no Tatsujin                                                           02/12/2006
Wii   Bandai Namco Games  SD Gundam: Scad Hammers                                                       02/12/2006
Wii   Bandai Namco Games  Tamagotchi Party On!                                                          02/12/2006
Wii   Bandai Namco Games  Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2                                            01/01/2007
Wii   Bandai Namco Games  One Piece: Unlimited Adventure                                                26/04/2007
Wii   Banpresto           Crayon Shin-Chan: Saikyou Kazoku Kasukabe King Wii                            02/12/2006
Wii   Capcom              Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition                                                  31/05/2007
Wii   Hudson              Kororinpa: Marble Mania                                                       02/12/2006
Wii   Hudson              Wing Island                                                                   02/12/2006
Wii   Hudson              Puzzle Series Vol. 1: Sudoku                                                  22/03/2007
Wii   Hudson              Fishing Master                                                                29/03/2007
Wii   Hudson              Bomberman Land                                                                08/03/2007
Wii   Interchannel        Marvel: Ultimate Alliance                                                     17/05/2007
Wii   Koei                Mahjong Taikai Wii                                                            25/01/2007
Wii   Koei                G1 Jockey Wii                                                                 15/03/2007
Wii   Koei                San Goku Shi 11 with Power-Up Kit                                             21/03/2007
Wii   Tecmo               Super Swing Golf                                                              02/12/2006
Wii   Konami              Elebits                                                                       02/12/2006
Wii   Marvelous           Case Closed: One Truth Prevails - The Mirapolis Investigation                 17/05/2007
Wii   Marvelous           Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility                                            07/06/2007
Wii   Marvelous           Mahou Sensei Negima!? Neo-Pactio Fight!!                                      14/06/2007
Wii   MTO                 GT Pro Series                                                                 11/01/2007
Wii   Sega                Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz                                               02/12/2006
Wii   Sega                Bleach: Shattered Blade                                                       14/12/2006
Wii   Sega                Sonic and the Secret Rings                                                    15/03/2007
Wii   Sega                Jissen Pachi-Slot Pachinko Hisshouhou! Sammy's Collection Hokuto no Ken Wii   24/05/2007
Wii   Spike               Escape from Bug Island                                                        02/12/2006
Wii   Success             Domino Rally                                                                  21/06/2007
Wii   Taito Corporation   Cooking Mama: Cook Off                                                        11/12/2008
Wii   Taito Corporation   Densha de Go! Shinkansen EX: Sanyou Shinkansen Hen                            01/03/2007
Wii   Taito Corporation   Furu Furu Park                                                                19/04/2007
Wii   Takara Tomy         Naruto Shippuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX                                     22/02/2007
Wii   Yuke's              The Dog Island                                                                26/04/2007

Wii U Japanese 3rd party releases until Jun 30 2013 (currently)

Wii U Arc System Works    Nano Assault Neo                                                              27/02/2013
Wii U Bandai Namco Games  Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition                                        08/12/2012
Wii U Bandai Namco Games  Tank! Tank! Tank!                                                             21/02/2013
Wii U Capcom              Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate                                                     08/12/2012
Wii U Capcom              Monster Hunter 3G Packet Relay Tool                                           21/02/2013
Wii U Capcom              Resident Evil: Revelations                                                    23/05/2013
Wii U D3P                 Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade                                  20/12/2012
Wii U Koei Tecmo Games    Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge                                                  08/12/2012
Wii U Koei Tecmo Games    Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper                                                       08/12/2012
Wii U Koei Tecmo Games    San Goku Shi 12                                                               13/12/2012
Wii U Koei Tecmo Games    Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2                                          31/01/2013
Wii U Square Enix         Dragon Quest X                                                                30/03/2013

"But you asked us to make games for the 3DS... Now you want us to make games for your new Wii accessory too?!!"

schuelma

Code:
"But you asked us to make games for the 3DS... Now you want us to make games for your new Wii accessory too?!!"[/QUOTE]

Yeah..I mean not that the Wii list had a lot of heavy hitters, but jesus that list says a lot. I never imagined 3rd party support would be worse than when Nintendo was coming off the Game Cube, but right now that is how it looks.

Bruno MB

Code:

Wii   AQ Interactive      Victorious Boxers: Revolution                                                 21/06/2007
Wii   ATLUS               Trauma Center: Second Opinion                                                 02/12/2006
Wii   Bandai Namco Games  Ennichi no Tatsujin                                                           02/12/2006
Wii   Bandai Namco Games  SD Gundam: Scad Hammers                                                       02/12/2006
Wii   Bandai Namco Games  Tamagotchi Party On!                                                          02/12/2006
Wii   Bandai Namco Games  Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2                                            01/01/2007
Wii   Bandai Namco Games  One Piece: Unlimited Adventure                                                26/04/2007
Wii   Banpresto           Crayon Shin-Chan: Saikyou Kazoku Kasukabe King Wii                            02/12/2006
Wii   Capcom              Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition                                                  31/05/2007
Wii   Hudson              Kororinpa: Marble Mania                                                       02/12/2006
Wii   Hudson              Wing Island                                                                   02/12/2006
Wii   Hudson              Puzzle Series Vol. 1: Sudoku                                                  22/03/2007
Wii   Hudson              Fishing Master                                                                29/03/2007
Wii   Hudson              Bomberman Land                                                                08/03/2007
Wii   Interchannel        Marvel: Ultimate Alliance                                                     17/05/2007
Wii   Koei                Mahjong Taikai Wii                                                            25/01/2007
Wii   Koei                G1 Jockey Wii                                                                 15/03/2007
Wii   Koei                San Goku Shi 11 with Power-Up Kit                                             21/03/2007
Wii   Tecmo               Super Swing Golf                                                              02/12/2006
Wii   Konami              Elebits                                                                       02/12/2006
Wii   Marvelous           Case Closed: One Truth Prevails - The Mirapolis Investigation                 17/05/2007
Wii   Marvelous           Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility                                            07/06/2007
Wii   Marvelous           Mahou Sensei Negima!? Neo-Pactio Fight!!                                      14/06/2007
Wii   MTO                 GT Pro Series                                                                 11/01/2007
Wii   Sega                Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz                                               02/12/2006
Wii   Sega                Bleach: Shattered Blade                                                       14/12/2006
Wii   Sega                Sonic and the Secret Rings                                                    15/03/2007
Wii   Sega                Jissen Pachi-Slot Pachinko Hisshouhou! Sammy's Collection Hokuto no Ken Wii   24/05/2007
Wii   Spike               Escape from Bug Island                                                        02/12/2006
Wii   Success             Domino Rally                                                                  21/06/2007
Wii   Taito Corporation   Cooking Mama: Cook Off                                                        11/12/2008
Wii   Taito Corporation   Densha de Go! Shinkansen EX: Sanyou Shinkansen Hen                            01/03/2007
Wii   Taito Corporation   Furu Furu Park                                                                19/04/2007
Wii   Takara Tomy         Naruto Shippuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX                                     22/02/2007
Wii   Yuke's              The Dog Island                                                                26/04/2007

Wii U Arc System Works    Nano Assault Neo                                                              27/02/2013
Wii U Bandai Namco Games  Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition                                        08/12/2012
Wii U Bandai Namco Games  Tank! Tank! Tank!                                                             21/02/2013
Wii U Capcom              Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate                                                     08/12/2012
Wii U Capcom              Monster Hunter 3G Packet Relay Tool                                           21/02/2013
Wii U Capcom              Resident Evil: Revelations                                                    23/05/2013
Wii U D3P                 Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade                                  20/12/2012
Wii U Koei Tecmo Games    Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge                                                  08/12/2012
Wii U Koei Tecmo Games    Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper                                                       08/12/2012
Wii U Koei Tecmo Games    San Goku Shi 12                                                               13/12/2012
Wii U Koei Tecmo Games    Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2                                          31/01/2013
Wii U Square Enix         Dragon Quest X                                                                30/03/2013

"But you asked us to make games for the 3DS... Now you want us to make games for your new Wii accessory too?!!"

A very useful post, it's a pleasure to have Road here.

The first thing I see is that only 6 Japanese third-party companies have released or announced Wii U titles, that says it all.

At first upon reading your post 5M seemed to me a little far-fetched, but I've just checked on Garaph and it seems so far New leaf is performing in line with Wild world, if not slightly better, isn't it?
It had a big debut and its legs are stronger, I don't see any reason for it to slow down any time soon. Its outpacing WW by a wide margin, its done more than WW with only half the time, friggin insane.

Madouu

It seems Animal Crossing: New Leaf has found a new baseline (60.000) after two consecutive drops where it went from selling 76.000 units to 60.000.

The gap between these two games will start widening, especially with Golden Week being so close.

Now the question is if its sales will be affected by the release of Tomodachi Collection: Shin Seikatsu.

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------
|    |   [B]AC: Wild World[/B]  |   [B]AC: New Leaf[/B]    |  [B]Difference[/B]  |
|    | [NDS] (2005/11/23)| [3DS] (2012/11/08)|              |
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------|
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |AC:NL - AC:WW |
|  1 |  335.425|  335.425|  721.786|  721.786|       386.361|
|  2 |  142.869|  478.294|  315.317|1.037.103|       558.809|
|  3 |  116.965|  595.259|  237.823|1.274.926|       679.667|  
|  4 |  192.571|  787.830|  118.898|1.393.824|       605.994| 
|  5 |  381.927|1.169.757|  115.556|1.509.380|       339.623|  
|  6 |  169.795|1.339.552|  213.329|1.722.709|       383.157|  
|  7 |  152.339|1.491.891|  400.320|2.123.029|       631.138|  
|  8 |   64.242|1.556.133|  163.948|2.286.977|       730.844|  
|  9 |   89.892|1.646.025|  135.971|2.422.948|       776.923| 
| 10 |   93.443|1.739.468|   86.926|2.509.874|       770.406|
| 11 |   69.401|1.808.869|   97.808|2.607.682|       798.813|
| 12 |   55.169|1.864.038|   83.226|2.690.908|       826.870|
| 13 |   53.594|1.917.632|   76.039|2.766.947|       849.315|
| 14 |   57.383|1.975.015|   90.652|2.857.599|       882.584|
| 15 |   88.709|2.063.724|   76.747|2.934.346|       870.622|
| 16 |   93.508|2.157.232|   77.709|3.012.055|       854.823|
| 17 |   88.292|2.245.524|   76.075|3.088.130|       842.606|
| 18 |  101.839|2.347.363|   69.124|3.157.254|       809.891|
| 19 |   95.034|2.442.397|   60.736|3.217.990|       775.593|
| 20 |   68.889|2.511.286|   60.789|3.278.779|       767.493|
| 21 |   49.596|2.560.882|   60.844|3.339.623|       778.741|
| 22 |   40.608|2.601.490|         |         |              |
| 23 |        -|        -|         |         |              |
| 24 |        -|2.713.688|         |         |              |
| 25 |   30.887|2.744.575|         |         |              |
| 26 |   31.802|2.776.377|         |         |              |
| 27 |   36.245|2.812.622|         |         |              |
| 28 |   30.319|2.842.941|         |         |              |
| 29 |   29.343|2.872.284|         |         |              |
| 30 |   29.525|2.901.809|         |         |              |
| 31 |   24.808|2.926.617|         |         |              |
| 32 |   23.200|2.949.817|         |         |              |
| 33 |   20.480|2.970.297|         |         |              |
| 34 |   17.968|2.988.265|         |         |              |
| 35 |   25.361|3.013.626|         |         |              |
| 36 |   21.083|3.034.709|         |         |              |
| 37 |   21.501|3.056.210|         |         |              |
| 38 |        -|        -|         |         |              |
| 39 |        -|3.115.414|         |         |              |
| 40 |   21.492|3.136.906|         |         |              |
| 41 |   22.565|3.159.471|         |         |              |
| 42 |   18.772|3.178.243|         |         |              |
| 43 |   20.634|3.198.877|         |         |              |
| 44 |   20.447|3.219.324|         |         |              |
| 45 |   19.713|3.239.037|         |         |              |
|Year|   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |  Difference  |
|  1 |1.169.757|1.169.757|2.286.977|2.286.997|     1.117.240|
|  2 |2.485.264|3.665.021|1.052.626|3.339.623|      -325.398|
|  3 |  858.501|4.513.522|        -|        -|             -|
|  4 |  338.531|4.852.053|        -|        -|             -|
|  5 |  258.996|5.111.049|        -|        -|             -|
|  6 |   46.432|5.157.481|        -|        -|             -|
|  7 |   37.181|5.194.662|        -|        -|             -|     
| LTD|        -|5.194.662|        -|3.339.623|    -1.855.039|     
-------------------------------------------------------------

It's performing way better, and this is without factoring in digital downloads which have been relatively important for this title.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks for the list Road.

Yeah..I mean not that the Wii list had a lot of heavy hitters, but jesus that list says a lot. I never imagined 3rd party support would be worse than when Nintendo was coming off the Game Cube, but right now that is how it looks.

I feel the 3DS hitting PS2 level ate up a lot of the bottom end.

Sony is also incentivizing a lot of the lower tier software on to Vita at this point in an attempt to save the platform.

Polarization and declines in console retail sales relative to the PS2 era have made a lot of the types of games that did come to the Wii no longer financially feasible as well.

I'm amazed at the lengths some people will go to convince themselves that MH3G underperformed. Sure, if you expect MHP3 numbers, but even Capcom didn't expect that.

schuelma

I'm amazed at the lengths some people will go to convince themselves that MH3G underperformed. Sure, if you expect MHP3 numbers, but even Capcom didn't expect that.

It really is bizarre. Only a few posters though.

schuelma

Thanks for the list Road.

I feel the 3DS hitting PS2 level ate up a lot of the bottom end.

Sony is also incentivizing a lot of the lower tier software on to Vita at this point in an attempt to save the platform.

Polarization and declines in console retail sales relative to the PS2 era have made a lot of the types of games that did come to the Wii no longer financially feasible as well.

Agreed. Also, like we discussed earlier, in contrast to the West I feel like most Japanese publishers don't have the manpower to just add a Wii U port- if a game is targeted for PS3, its probably staying there unless Nintendo steps in.

Thorgal

Code:

Seeing the big difference between the two perhaps we should ask ourselves: where have all those 3rd party titles gone to ?

3DS or phones ?

and if they find the Wii U unapealing why haven't they jumped on ps3 and its installbase?

=Kysen;52829253]From a few forums I visit here is what I've read:

Could anyone say what the average japanese gamer perception is to Nintendo and sony?
Sony is in decline but still viewed as better than MS for home consoles.

Do they view the wii u as much as a disaster as we are seeing here and is it throwing a lot of negativity towards nintendo in their eyes?
Constantly, WiiU is the butt of jokes week in week out. Especially after MC/Famitsu charts. 'ナイスレンガ'(nice brick) and for each of the western developers giving bad news about WiiU you see crude translations(from English) of their statements. Laughs all round.

Also how is the VITA percieved over there (post price cut)?
Still a failure but picking up slowly. Currently has a MH problem(lack of), so far all the hunting games like SS, Toukiden get trolled as clones.

Also any perceptions regarding Ps4 to be found?
Linked in more with the 1st statement.

thank you so basically the same as here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It really is bizarre. Only a few posters though.

Yeah Capcom is generally fine throwing games under the bus when they underperform at fiscal meetings, and they definitely didn't do that for Monster Hunter.

The only time I can think of recently when they made questionable statements was Dragon's Dogma, but the management spent years saying how outsourcing their existing IPs and making new IPs in Japan was their infallible future plan, so they had to insist that was reality in the end.

schuelma

Seeing the big difference between the two perhaps we should ask ourselves: where have all those 3rd party's gone to ?

3DS or phones ?

and if they find the Wii U unapealing why haven't they jumped on ps3 and its installbase?

Well, looking through that list, Hudson doesn't exist and Sega has really decreased its console emphasis since 2006.

Honestly, the big outlier comparing the 2 lists is Namco Bandai.

Road, sorry if mine is a dumb question, but how come Sonic team racing is not included in the list?
That is because it is not from Japanese branch of Sega perhaps?

Anyway, the first thing that caught my attention in the list is the lack of announcements from Marvelous, hope they have something in the works.

Another thing that comes to mind reading that Wii list, if I'm not mistaking myself, Hudson has been bought over for some time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Road, sorry if mine is a dumb question, but how come Sonic team racing is not included in the list?
That's not from Japanese branch of Sega perhaps?

Anyway, the first thing that caught my attention in the list is the lack of announcements from Marvelous, hope they have something in the works.

Another thing that comes to mind reading that Wii list, if I'm not mistaking myself, Hudson has been bought over for some time.

What remains of Hudson is also entirely social/mobile now.

test_account

XP-39C²
That is because it is not from Japanese branch of Sega perhaps?

Sonic Transformed didn't release on the Wii U in Japan? Or it didn't release in Japan at all?
Sonic Transformed isnt released in Japan yet. I havnt seen any announcement of a japanese version either.

DaBoss

Sonic Transformed isnt released in Japan yet. I havnt seen any announcement of a japanese version either.

OK, thanks. Did not know that.

Quick Google search says the first one didn't release in Japan, so I assume they will do the same. Seems kind of odd to do that. I imagine it could see some modest success since Mario Kart is really popular.

Takao

Banned

Quick Google search says the first one didn't release in Japan, so I assume they will do the same. Seems kind of odd to do that. I imagine it could see some modest success since Mario Kart is really popular.

Sonic games don't seem to sell very well in Japan, so I can't blame SEGA for not localizing a spinoff.

test_account

XP-39C²

I agree, i was surprised to see that no japanese release is planned. I didnt know that the first one wasnt released there.

Sonic games don't seem to sell very well in Japan, so I can't blame SEGA for not localizing a spinoff.
That could be the reason. It is a great game though, so it would be nice to see how it would sell :)

Bruno MB

Wii Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) 01/08/2009 - 1,070,743
Wii Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Namco Bandai Games) 11/12/2008 - 657,666
Wii Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online (Square Enix) 02/08/2012 - 633,827
Wii Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square Enix) 12/07/2007 - 486,222
Wii Taiko Drum Master Wii 2 (Namco Bandai Games) 19/11/2009 418,284
Wii Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary: Famicom & Super Famicom Dragon Quest I-II-III (Square Enix) 15/09/2011 - 387,114
Wii Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition (Namco Bandai Games) 29/11/2012 - 385,970
Wii Go Vacation (Namco Bandai Games) 20/10/2011 - 348,704
Wii Taiko Drum Master Wii: Definitive Edition! (Namco Bandai Games) 23/11/2011 - 320,770
Wii Dragon Quest Monster Battle Road Victory (Square Enix) 15/07/2010 - 307,453
Wii Samurai Warriors 3 Koei 03/12/2009 - 275,037
Wii Momotarou Dentetsu 2010: Sengo Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson) 26/11/2009 - 274,482
Wii Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Capcom) 15/11/2007 - 273,791
Wii Deca Sporta: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku! (Hudson) 19/03/2008 - 271,525
Wii Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 3 generations of party together! (Namco Bandai Games) 02/12/2010 - 270,672
Wii Karaoke Joysound Wii (Hudson) 18/12/2008 - 254,144
Wii Monster Hunter G (Capcom) 23/04/2009 - 236,020
Wii Inazuma Eleven Strikers (Level Five) 16/07/2011 - 216,058
Wii Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai Games) 10/12/2009 - 212,769
Wii Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Namco Bandai Games) 26/06/2008 - 212,408
Wii Fortune Street (Square Enix) 01/12/2011 - 199,092
Wii Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (Namco Bandai Games) 01/01/2007 - 165,969
Wii Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Capcom) 14/01/2010 - 145,149
Wii Resident Evil 4 Wii edition (Capcom) 31/05/2007 - 135,417
Wii Family Trainer (Namco Bandai Games) 29/05/2008 - 131,489
Wii One Piece Unlimited Cruise: Episode 1 (Namco Bandai Games) 11/09/2008 - 128,623
Wii Family Ski (Namco Bandai Games) 31/01/2008 - 123,285
Wii Inazuma Eleven Strikers 2012 Xtreme (Level Five) 22/12/2011 - 119,115
Wii One Piece Unlimited Cruise: Episode 2 (Namco Bandai Games) 26/02/2009 - 115,311
Wii Sengoku Basara 3 (Capcom) 29/07/2010 - 111,948
Wii Power Pro Baseball Wii (Konami) 19/07/2007 - 111,825
Wii One Piece: Unlimited Adventure (Namco Bandai Games) 26/04/2007 - 110,802
Wii Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX (Tomy) 22/02/2007 - 109,971
Wii Deca Sporta 2: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku! (Hudso)n 16/04/2009 - 109,908
Wii Winning Eleven Playmaker 2008 (Konami) 21/02/2008 - 109,895
Wii Ennichi no Tatsujin (Namco Bandai Games) 02/12/2006 - 109,877
Wii Shape Boxing Wii: Enjoy the Diet! (Rocket Company) 30/10/2008 - 105,417
Wii Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes W (Namco Bandai Games) 03/12/2009 - 101,630

Here is the list of all Wii third-party games that sold over 100.000 units, figures aren't completely updated and I didn't take into account budget releases.

As we can see the list is really pathetic for a console that sold 12 million units, just 38 games.

So basically what we have here is Taiko no Tatsujin (5 titles), Dragon Quest (4 titles), Monster Hunter (2 titles), Resident Evil (ports and spin-offs), a main Tales of and a spin-off and half-dozen titles that took advantage from Wii userbase. From this already poor level of support, what games can Wii U get? I'm afraid that almost nothing, and then there is the problem that current gen ports won't sell since all the audience is firmly established on PS3. Developing an exclusive title is risky and expensive (even more on a very struggling platform) and if I were a niche developer, Wii U would currently be my last option. So all things considered, is not that weird the rejection Wii U is getting from Japanese developers. It hasn't found its place in the market. At least with PS Vita (another struggling platform) developers know that that userbase is receptive to certain kind of games.

test_account

XP-39C²
Here is the list of all Wii third-party games that sold over 100.000 units, figures aren't completely updated and I didn't take into account the budget releases.

As we can see the list is really pathetic for a console that sold 12 million units, just 38 games.

So basically what we have here is Taiko no Tatsujin (4 titles), Dragon Quest (4 titles), Monster Hunter (2 titles), Resident Evil (ports and spin-offs), a main Tales of and a spin-off and half-dozen titles that took advantage from Wii userbase. From this already poor level of support, what games can Wii U get? I'm afraid that almost nothing.
Not counting the already announced/released stuff (Dragon Quest X, Monster Hunter Tri G HD and Resident Evil Revelations), i think Monster Hunter 4 HD is the most safe bet. I also think a Taiko game has a good chance to come out for the WiiU. Maybe a Inazuma Eleven game as well.

schuelma

Not counting the already announced/released stuff (Dragon Quest X, Monster Hunter Tri G HD and Resident Evil Revelations), i think Monster Hunter 4 HD is the most safe bet. I also think a Taiko game has a good chance to come out for the WiiU. Maybe a Inazuma Eleven game as well.

Agreed.

schuelma

Taiko would be easy for Wii U. Bamco can just keep on selling the drum accessory they made for the Wii.

Yeah that's the one 3rd party franchise that was an unequivocal success on Wii. Unless Namco is going to try and single handily keep the Wii alive I assume it will come out on Wii U sometime soon.

Personally I'd like to see sequels to Family Fishing and Go Vacation on Wii U from Namco Bandai. Nintendo should probably ask them for a Run For The Money game though.

Spiegel

Taiko was an unequivocal success on PS2. PS3 owners are still waiting for a Taiko game.

I don't see why Namco shouldn't try to release another Taiko for Wii. It's not like the console wasn't dead last year.

schuelma

Personally I'd like to see sequels to Family Fishing and Go Vacation on Wii U from Namco Bandai. Nintendo should probably ask them for a Run For The Money game though.

Yeah Go Vacation ended up being a pretty big hit.

Top Bottom