• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2013 (Apr 01 - Apr 07)

NotLiquid

Trilogy.

Boy did heads turn.

Apparently 3 of the leads at the time were fed up with the lack of creative freedom so they wanted to leave.

And tried to lure many other folks to come along, Nintendo didn't take kindly to that.

Remember the Infinity Ward incident? Same thing.

In fact, DKCR was given to Retro because they were freed up due to this.

Huh, this is the first time I've ever heard of this.

So how much creative freedom does Retro get or are they pretty much just on a collar and leash? DKCR seemed to be described as a game they really wanted to make and begged Nintendo to let them do.

Vita is coming off a pricedrop and has not found its baseline, so there is no predicting how quick it will drop because of that pricedrop. Also unless Soul Sacrifice stops dropping soon it will be off the charts and unable to sustain vita. Still good for a new ip.

So how much creative freedom does Retro get or are they pretty much just on a collar and leash? DKCR seemed to be described as a game they really wanted to make and begged Nintendo to let them do.

Same, first time I've read that.

Thing is, I understand where Nintendo is coming from. They need Retro to develop the type of games that Nintendo's other in-house teams don't have a strong grasp on. Nothing against DKCR - great game - but it's a game that EAD could have tackled just as brilliantly with its platformer pedigree.

They had creative freedom when they first started and the result was Madden and Twisted Metal.

Some guys left Retro and look at where their creative minds got them. *cackles*

Retro are highly skilled monkeys. They code stuff and they should be happy. Next Level is happy, why wouldn't Retro?

Celine

Thing is, I understand where Nintendo is coming from. They need Retro to develop the type of games that Nintendo's other in-house teams don't have a strong grasp on. Nothing against DKCR - great game - but it's a game that EAD could have tackled just as brilliantly with its platformer pedigree.
I do think Nintendo actually decided it was best to let DKC sequel be developed by a western team.
DKC was never seen an EAD effort.
We got EAD take on DK with Jungle Beat.

Retro are highly skilled monkeys. They code & design stuff and they should be happy. Next Level is happy, why wouldn't Retro?
fixed

Spiegel

So what's the reason for the low hardware stock?

Sony stopped manufacturing and shipping Vita units due to the abysmal sales (Gamecube-style) and they sold more than expected?

serplux

Is/has Monster Games become more of an all-purpose developer instead of just racing? It seems like Nintendo is moving them towards a direction where they can take on anything.

So what's the reason for the low hardware stock?

Sony stopped manufacturing and shipping Vita units due to the abysmal sales (Gamecube-style) and they sold more than expected?
Pretty much.

I do think Nintendo actually decided it was best to let DKC sequel be developed by a western team.
DKC was never seen an EAD effort.
We got EAD take on DK with Jungle Beat.

fixed
Well the original DKC trilogy was made by Rare - a western company, made sense for Retro to give it a crack.

Looking back some people's predictions for Vita were very optimistic in April. I feel like I lowballed it but even after one week this is less than I would have thought for a drop. I know everyone looks at Wii U collapsing but the Vita schedule is now just as bad for the next month out. Both are equally terrible, but the only silver lining for Vita in April is to see if the price drop creates a higher baseline. But I doubt it.

Looking back some people's predictions for Vita were very optimistic in April. I feel like I lowballed it but even after one week this is less than I would have thought for a drop. I know everyone looks at Wii U collapsing but the Vita schedule is now just as bad for the next month out. Both are equally terrible, but the only silver lining for Vita in April is to see if the price drop creates a higher baseline. But I doubt it.
20k is an optimistic baseline, 15k is more realistic, 10k is bomba land.

Batman Blackgate, that's basically it! LOL

Seriously, it's a 2.5D game by the leads from Retro. XD
I doubt it'll be even as good as even Batman: The Brave and the Bold. We'll see.

saichi

Mini Vinnk's Village (from my phone)
8. Kids in my classes are drawing Luigi pictures in their notebooks and in their artwork (alongside Mario usually) I have been here for almost 9 years and its the first time I've noticed this. He is almost always ignored. In my mind that is the final proof that this is the Year of Luigi.

#yearofluigi

Year of Captain Rainbow.

You are on fire!

And captain Rainbow is a great game. I have 4 copies. 2 of them signed by Skip employees. I just feel bad when u see a copy abondoned in the Bomba Bin for 500yen. "Don't worry little one" I say, "you're coming home with me"

and my hero for rescuing Captain Rainbow.

EDIT:

I have a sneaky feeling that 3D Mario for Wii U could end up a 3D Luigi title.

That would be super awesome and a big surprise.

20k is an optimistic baseline, 15k is more realistic, 10k is bomba land.

I don't see how 20k could even happen after one week. There's no significant releases for the month to maintain any kind of momentum. But I'd love to be proved wrong. I think weekly average for the month will be 13k to 13.5k.

Edit: looking at upcoming release list I see a bunch of best price titles will hit last week of April, which I was not aware of when predicting. Might attract some consumers inticed by the price drop, but probably not by much. Do we normally see sales rise slightly prior to Golden Week or spikes restricted to the two Golden Week weekends?

Mr Swine

Banned
I don't see how 20k could even happen after one week. There's no significant releases for the month to maintain any kind of momentum. But I'd love to be proved wrong. I think weekly average for the month will be 13k to 13.5k.

With one game in the next 2 months I think the baseline will be around 12k a week. Just because the price has gone down I don't think the baseline will be at 20k, 3DS struggles at 50k a week with no games

With one game in the next 2 months I think the baseline will be around 12k a week. Just because the price has gone down I don't think the baseline will be at 20k, 3DS struggles at 50k a week with no games

If we're talking baseline I think it will go below that, but monthly average I'm thinking will be higher than 12k. I anticipate around 9k to 10k by last week of April.

Edit: looking at upcoming release list I see a bunch of best price titles will hit last week of April, which I was not aware of when predicting. Might attract some consumers inticed by the price drop, but probably not by much. Do we normally see sales rise slightly prior to Golden Week or spikes restricted to the two Golden Week weekends?
I agree, I think sub-10k is inevitable.

I have a sneaky feeling that 3D Mario for Wii U could end up a 3D Luigi title.
Doubt it, otherwise we'd have Super Luigi U as a new game instead of just DLC expansion.

Now, a brand new Luigi platformer/adventure for Wii U? Thats certainly not out of the question.

Frodo

What if the yet to be announced 3D Mario is actually a game where Mario is kidnapped and Luigi has got to save him? Peach can be played as well in co-op.

Makes perfect sense, since Mario is always the one frustrating Bowser's plans to keep Peach kidnapped. So he locks Mario up in a castle to prevent him from disturbing his plan to kidnap Peach. And of course he forgets about Luigi. Because, let's face it... I love Luigi but he is afraid of ghosts.

Get ready for Super Luigi U(niverse) at E3.

#YearOfLuigi

L Thammy

All charts launch-aligned. All numbers from Media Create.
Weekly numbers presented in logarithmic base 1,000 for clarity. In that case, zero units are represented by one unit.

2CIK8hW.png

25t1PAX.png

bwY9dMA.png

WqakjTQ.png

Note, since this draws only from the top 10 it does not represent smaller titles.
e.g., software sales of zero are assumed if the console has no games in the top 10.

cL3EgQ4.png

Tally of the number of titles for that platform in the top 20 for each week.
I can't find the top 20 for PS3's second week. It has been assumed as zero.

Feel free to criticize or point out mistakes.

GRW810

As much as I loved DKCR and would love a sequel, I completely agree with this. Have DKCR 2 made by EAD so Retro can make more mature games like Metroid or a new IP.

saichi

Doubt it, otherwise we'd have Super Luigi U as a new game instead of just DLC expansion.

Now, a brand new Luigi platformer/adventure for Wii U? Thats certainly not out of the question.

How about new 3D Luigi title with Mario as DLC? :)

EDIT:

Both Galaxy games let you replay everything as Luigi after beating the game. No reason to have a Luigi specific platformer with that precedence.

Think the most to hope for in a 3-D Mario game is a choice at start to play as Mario or Luigi with Mario still getting top-billing.

leave me alone. let me dream! :)

DaBoss

Both Galaxy games let you replay everything as Luigi after beating the game. No reason to have a Luigi specific platformer with that precedence.

Luigi was actually playable after the first few galaxies or something in SMG2. I don't exactly remember when it was, but it definitely was not after you beat the game. SM3DLand did that though.

Frodo

I know, right?

But what if instead of playing with Luigi after beating the game we can play it with Luigi from the start and with Mario after we beat it? Perfect sense again, because Mario would be freed only after Luigi rescues him, which implies Mario can not be played from the star because he is, uh, locked up. I'm a genius. Nintendo hire me.

L Thammy

I know, right?

But what if instead of playing with Luigi after beating the game we can play it with Luigi from the start and with Mario after we beat it? Perfect sense again, because Mario would be freed only after Luigi rescues him, which implies Mario can not be played from the star because he is, uh, locked up. I'm a genius. Nintendo hire me.

Mario is Missing Temporarily.

3D Mario & Luigi platformer. Co-op, local and multiplayer.

It'd sell billions.

Asymmetric gameplay using the Gamepad! It could happen.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Hmm. I predicted the drop for Vita was to 23K. Off by 4K. Not bad. :D

Also, I want to hear Maedhros now after he said it wouldn't drop that far.

Damn dat Animal Crossing. I think it's time to move it to the A tier category of the sales of Nintendo franchises. Luigi is doing really good as well.

donny2112

Hmm. I predicted the drop for Vita was to 23K. Off by 4K. Not bad. :D

This kind of reasoning irks me. You were off by 21%. That's not that close.

Edit:
There was a former poster who used to do weekly predictions for systems that would sell ~5K. He'd predict like 6K, and it was 4K, and he'd pat himself on the back for being 2K off, when he was 50% off. :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Looking forward to whatever new term Nintendo comes up with to describe this (as noted in their last Q&A), as this really is just a non-intuitive way to describe the addition of the GamePad screen to play options.

Multiple play!

Top Bottom