• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2011 (Apr 11 - Apr 17)

Orgen

Predictions:

[PSP] Final Promise Story (Image Epoch) - 42.000
[PSP] Patapon 3 (SCE) - 36.000
[PS3] El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (Ignition) - 71.000

donny2112

thefro said:
On consoles... they moved a lot of efforts to DS/PSP.

Those are included in the graph. Basically, PS2 third-party sales still greater than all third-party this gen combined, launch-aligned. The concept that "PS3 is a strong sales source for third-parties" (as Parmenides tries to put forward time and again) is not supported by the numbers. It's around PSP third-party sales at the time, which weren't considered to be that great, at the time.

Road

Prediction

[PSP] Final Promise Story (Image Epoch) - 44,444
[PSP] Patapon 3 (SCE) - 33,333
[PS3] El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (Ignition) - 44,444

Predictions
[PSP] Final Promise Story (Image Epoch) - 65,342
[PSP] Patapon 3 (SCE) - 39,212
[PS3] El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (Ignition) - 51,842

All the data I have tells me I shouldn't be prediciting like this, but going by gut feeling this week.

A few more weeks of all but guaranteed PSP domination to go before the 3DS software drought ends with DOA:D, followed by One Piece, RE: The Mercenaries 3D, OOT, Tales of the Abyss, and SF643D coming in the span of less than two months. June will be a very interesting month, that's for sure, though I suspect it'll take something like Mario Kart before 3DS begins outselling PSP regularly.

Mrbob

Canova said:
3DS crashed and burned

There is no software to push the system right now. I do think this a problem for Nintendo. Wide opening for Sony to come in and steal the market with the PSP2. It is official there for the taking if Sony doesn't screw up.

Mrbob said:
There is no software to push the system right now. I do think this a problem for Nintendo. Wide opening for Sony to come in and steal the market with the PSP2. It is official there for the taking if Sony doesn't screw up.

So either NGP is launching in the next couple weeks, or there's no software coming out for 3DS between now and the NGP launch. Impeccable logic!

Also, Japan is arguably the least likely territory to see NGP this year, owing to the current health of the PSP market there.

pharmboy044 said:
No compelling 3DS software in the past month? I thought this is exactly what Nintendo was trying to avoid.
Well, many games were delayed due to the earthquake. Now they are coming back as Father_Brain mentioned is his post.

Mrbob

Father_Brain said:
So either NGP is launching in the next couple weeks, or there's no software coming out for 3DS between now and the NGP launch. Impeccable logic!

Also, Japan is arguably the least likely territory to see NGP this year, owing to the current health of the PSP market there.

Alright you argue that and I'll argue PSP2 is going to follow the hottest system in the market. 3DS didn't come out at the height of DS popularity. PSP2 is going to come out at the peak of PSP popularity in Japan. We'll see what happens. :D

Jonnyram

stilgar said:
Wait for a few months before the death sentence. Like, when some games will be out.
And thus the legend continues.
"Wait for Zelda."
"Wait for Mario."

Nothing that is currently announced is going to make the 3DS explode in Japan. It needs something new that gets people talking. Something like the effect nintendogs & Brain Training had on DS. Something like the effect Monster Hunter had on PSP.

Effect

vicissitudes said:
Wow wtf at the 3DS...is sub-20k possible??

Not when software comes out. Delays are hurting it in Japan. Though for there not to be voids 3rd parties need to actually step up and provide quality software to help push sales. This is the big question. Nintendo can hold back all it wants when it comes to software. It will be for nothing if 3rd party developers don't deliver in the end.

Kinan

velvet_nitemare said:
Not with Golden week coming up i wouldn't think. If not though, there would be a good chance of sub 20K.

The current 3DS curve was leading to 18k next week, but Golden week will sure break the trend a bit.

Jonnyram said:
"Wait for Zelda."
"Wait for Mario."

Nothing that is currently announced is going to make the 3DS explode in Japan. It needs something new that gets people talking. Something like the effect nintendogs & Brain Training had on DS. Something like the effect Monster Hunter had on PSP.

I agree with you on the "explode" part (I predict it'll be a yet-to-be-announced AR-based title that does it), but if the currently announced software isn't enough to at least get sales to a much healthier level, Nintendo has a problem on its hands, which may or may not be resolvable with a price cut.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Jonnyram said:
"Wait for Zelda."
"Wait for Mario."

It doesnt need to explode before holidays either - why should it ? Its the platttform first year, they should just try to establish decent sales level - like 30-35k till the mario kart and the holiday season begins.

Legend ? The 3DS launched 2 months ago and you act as if its a wii situation :p

iifu

Neo Member
3DS needs some kind of social interaction/sharing game that will get people to talk about it. Something that builds on the Street Pass feature for instance, something like Animal Crossing or Tomodachi Collection, but new.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
velvet_nitemare said:
It has inherited the "Wait for..." meme from the PS3 chalkboard.

I think that's going a bit too far. Obviously Nintendo has issues with thw 3DS..but I still think much of this talk is premature.

onken

PSP goes from strength to strength, everything else on the slide though. I wonder if Sony managed to scramble some decent stock together for golden week.

Regarding the low numbers for the 3DS, I understand the software situation but can the price be another factor for the low numbers?

3DS is doing its best job in mimicking the early DS. Whether or not it will find its 'hook' is to be seen, but hardly anything on the horizon is likely to give it the Brain Training/Nintendogs/Monster Hunter effect.

The PSP is just a beast. Its lifespan is something unique - 20m+ doesn't seem far fetched.

schuelma said:
I think that's going a bit too far. Obviously Nintendo has issues with thw 3DS..but I still think much of this talk is premature.

Just pointing out what Johnnyram was getting at.

onken said:
PSP goes from strength to strength, everything else on the slide though. I wonder if Sony managed to scramble some decent stock together for golden week.

Someone posted a link a few pages back that they were able to get some stock out.

Kinan

Magicpaint said:
3DS is doing its best job in mimicking the early DS.

Well, its actually a bit uncanny, but it does follow the DS perfomance, if you remove the christmas launch out of the equation:

lhd8n.jpg

Impressive coincidence, isnt it?

EXGN

Jonnyram said:
"Wait for Zelda."
"Wait for Mario."

1_1269107801-300x180.jpg

At least that means when 3DS launches the slim version it will stabilize at around 25K.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Kinan said:
Well, its actually a bit uncanny, but it does follow the DS perfomance, if you remove the christmas launch out of the equation:

lhd8n.jpg

Prophecy! :O

Kinan said:

http://i52.tinypic.com/lhd8n.jpg

Very, lol.

I was just making a rough guess because I was aware of when the DS dropped to 20ish k per week but I didn't realise the similarities were near identical :O

onQ123

Kinan said:

lhd8n.jpg

Thats because the DS was big & ugly & you tilted the scale to take out the 1st month of DS sales,

dsoriginal1.jpeg

a redesign might not do too much to help 3DS sales like the DS-lite did for the DS because it's already nice & small , & DS was something totally new 3DS is a More powerful DS with 3D & a little more control options,

The wildcard is that the 3DS hasn't had it's launch of big selling software yet & people are waiting for the price to drop.

but then again Nintendogs was a monster on the DS but didn't seem to do much on 3DS.

Jomjom

Banned
PSP is back on top and deservedly so.

The 3DS is one of the least inspired Nintendo systems to release to date. The online is still horrible. There's still no form of achievement system. Nintendo may call it an attempt to garner 3rd party support, but there's no excuse for not releasing any compelling 1st party games whatsoever. The system is still grossly underpowered. My friends who have one have all simply turned off 3D completely and use it as a DS with worse battery life. I'm pretty disappointed as this looks like the first Nintendo handheld that I won't be buying.

M.I.S. said:
Get your lord DS and master 3DS olde cartoon strips at the ready.

"Son, I am disappoint".

:lol that mental image. Sadly it doesn't really get updated anymore.

Just checked some 2005 data for DS. It looks like the lowest the DS went was 21k, and there were several weeks in the 20's. DS sales hovered in the 30's for most of the year, with some spikes due to new software or new colors.

Top Bottom