• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2017 (Apr 24 - Apr 30)

Scrawnton

Nintendo needs to find some way to up the production of the Switch. People want it and they simply aren't making enough of them.

People predicted 100k because they thought that much stock would be made available. It's still a good number especially if Switch can stay above 50k for a while after this

Nintendo needs to find some way to up the production of the Switch. People want it and they simply aren't making enough of them.

If they began doubling their production in March, would we start seeing the results of that by now? I honestly don't know how quick the turnaround would be.

When was the last time a system did 100k+ in a non-holiday/non-launch week?

It would have easily hit that number had there been enough systems available to purchase. It is nearly impossible to find a Switch where I am at in the US, and I imagine it's similar elsewhere, including Japan, where the handheld aspect is clearly very appealing.

The fact that a port of a 3 year old game is driving so much interest is nothing short of remarkable.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I heard Mitsuda ran away with a violinist and Takahashi called Sawano to step in tho

Mmmmh... ah ah ah, yeah. Uoooh uoooh, ayeeeeeh!

I really like several Xenoblade X's tracks, though

Zedark

People predicted 100k because they thought that much stock would be made available. It's still a good number especially if Switch can stay above 50k for a while after this
A lot of people (myself included) expected a one-times bump of 100k+ for this week, and then back to 40k-45k after GW. If they can keep shipments permanently higher at the expensive of lower shipments at the MK8D launch, that'd be fine as well I think. We'll see in the coming weeks.

Orgen

Great MK8D numbers and surprised about the bump on PS4: no new releases and if it was pre-Golden week I understand that other platforms would be affected too right? (3DS)

And it seems that FFXV is slowly crawling to the 1 million LTD on retail :D

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Like I said in the other thread, lower than expected for Switch hardware. Assuming its still largely sold out, I suspect Nintendo will keep emphasizing the West until the 3rd week in July or so..

Media Create could be similar to Famitsu, but could also be higher.

Not that it makes any diifference for a system that its sales currently are defined from supply.

ggx2ac

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1367503

Since the demand for the hardware is significantly high right now, and we cannot build up inventory over a long period of time (as we did before launch), we have greatly increased the quantity we can produce in a single month. We cannot provide any specific numbers, but we are boosting our production capacity to enable us to ship 10 million units this fiscal year and handle the season of high demand.

We could guess they're producing 1 million Switch units a month for now until the next quarter figures come in which is unfortunately another 3 months away.

They're not going to do much more than that with their current forecast, it's obvious they'll ramp it up more come holidays but the rest of the year before it makes sense to not overstock the Switch.

A lot of people (myself included) expected a one-times bump of 100k+ for this week, and then back to 40k-45k after GW. If they can keep shipments permanently higher at the expensive of lower shipments at the MK8D launch, that'd be fine as well I think. We'll see in the coming weeks.

It's purely a supply issue. The Switch has effiectively been sold out since launch, and units sell shortly after being put on a shelf. Nintendo has yet to reach a point where anyone can walk into a store and buy one. Supply has not yet met demand.

Charamiwa

Banned
Is there a software problem for the Switch in Japan compared to the rest of the world? In the US Mario Kart is the best opening day of the franchise, in the UK it beat MK7 and MK8 and here it's fine but clearly not among the best opening at all. And Zelda has a stupid 100% attach rate in the US and here it's meh.

Zelda I get it, it's not huge in Japan anymore, but Mario Kart?

ethomaz

Banned
Guess they just didn't ship enough units.

Good Mario Kart Debut though
You mean Switch?

Because MK sold 60-80% of it shipment... it doesn't looks like it had supply issues.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1367503

We could guess they're producing 1 million Switch units a month for now until the next quarter figures come in which is unfortunately another 3 months away.

They're not going to do much more than that with their current forecast, it's obvious they'll ramp it up more come holidays but the rest of the year before it makes sense to not overstock the Switch.
To forecast only 10 million for the fiscal year then it is lower than 1 million per month... more like 600-800k per month right now with a boost to 1m near the holidays.

Q1 ~1.9m
Q2 ~2.3m
Q3 ~3.9m
Q4 ~1.9m

Is there a software problem for the Switch in Japan compared to the rest of the world? In the US Mario Kart is the best opening day of the franchise, in the UK it beat MK7 and MK8 and here it's fine but clearly not among the best opening at all. And Zelda has a stupid 100% attach rate in the US and here it's meh.

Mario Kart sold great for the small install base in Japan. You can't always ask for every country to go up and wayy beyond anyone's expectations.

Zedark

It's purely a supply issue. The Switch has effiectively been sold out since launch, and units sell shortly after being put on a shelf. Nintendo has yet to reach a point where anyone can walk into a store and buy one. Supply has not yet met demand.
True, we were hoping they'd increase shipment for MK8D significantly, but it seems they didn't to the extent we hoped. Now, if this is the starting sign of bigger week shipments, then it'd be fine, but if not then we are looking at stock crises for quite some time still.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I suspect that in general a decent amount of excitement from Switch owners is Splatoon 2, so I think its possible attach rates aren't as robust as other territories.

Mpl90

I believe Nintendo Switch's Week 17 / pre-Holiday week is the highest since 3DS's corresponding Week in 2012, anyway, going by Famitsu.

Mpl90

I suspect that in general a decent amount of excitement from Switch owners is Splatoon 2, so I think its possible attach rates aren't as robust as other territories.

But even if that's the case, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had a great debut, not that far from the original (in spite of 3 days tracked instead of 4 due to its Friday release. Also, Zelda is doing great.

Mokujin

I thought that Nintendo had some beefier stock ready for Golden Week, nice bump but it seems like they could have sold more.

Lovely to see BotW going up though.

Minecraft digital only is a real pity for Switch
I think it would have been a perfect fit in between Mario and Splatoon, considering how ARMS is still a mystery commercially wise

Isn't mine craft coming out 0hyaically as well? It's just at a time in the future instead. I'm pretty sure they said that in the EU direct.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
But even if that's the case, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had a great debut, not that far from the original (in spite of 3 days tracked instead of 4 due to its Friday release. Also, Zelda is doing great.

I agree they are doing well- but software in the US seems even more insane.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

3ds was HUGE in Japan, hard to debut higher than that for Mk8 deluxe, unlike the west. And even the wiiu comparatively with the west was "pretty popular"
Mk8 deluxe is coming get out way earlier in the life cycle of the console compared to precious title too
So, it is more a fact of West being really interested in a Nintendo product since a lot going time than the Japanese market having issues with it
And Zelda is on track to become one of the best selling episode in Japan since a long time apparently

Hang in there Bomberman!

Good guy Bomberman!

I guess you say that due to the time it'll take to ship it to the west?

Yes
Normal shipment by ship take 30/35 calendar days from HK or yantau to middle Europe
I know they are shipping by plane now, doubling the costs, but still the logistics to land the products are longer than shipping to Japan

Top Bottom