• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2014 (Jan 06 - Jan 12)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's unlikely the Vita will remain at 30k considering there's a long time before a new release for it, Wii u is obviously going to drop below 10k fairly quickly. 3DS sales are concerning considering Kirby was by far the biggest release of the month, so I'm not entirely sure what it'll do.

Phazon

Code:
 3DS # |     60.154 |    176.555 |     92.661 |    236.709 |    371.920 |  14.898.629
The 3DS will continue to decline from last year until the arrival of the 2DS/and or price cut. Nintendo has played all all their software cards.

There's still plenty of software releasing and coming for it. While it may have had its highest momentum, it'll still do very well this year if you'd ask me.

2014 Vita is up on 2013 Vita. 2013 Vita was up on 2012 Vita. 2012 Vita was up on 2011 Vita.

Meanwhile, 'other' systems are sliding slowly toward the grave.

tortoise-and-hare.jpg

I think there's a chance that Knack (Runner up Game of the 2013/ Platformer of the year 2013) might indeed, as I believe it's bundled with the PS4.

don't jinx Vita fans by getting cocky about it if the only thing we can point out is beating the shit out of Wii U while 3DS should have been buried by this thing since launch

it lost OLED to be price dropped and now a PS4 off tv player it has not been a smooth ride for this little guy lets hope it really does turn around and starts getting more software support

meanwhile VITAtv what a knee-jerk that was

Xater

Uuuh are people really shocked that the sales spike for Wii U didn't continue? It was pretty obvious that it was just going to be a temporary thing.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I believe we might see their next handheld very soon, maybe even holiday 2014. They already released nearly all of their heavy hitters on 3DS. Coupled with a 9900 yen 2DS it will have some legs though.

There are still many things to do before a brand new console...like Pokémon remake and X2 and Y2, just to say two of them. And 2DS, and price cuts...Fall 2015 / Q1 2016 is a much more realistic expectation of when we'll see 3DS successor.

I believe we might see their next handheld very soon, maybe even holiday 2014. They already released nearly all of their heavy hitters on 3DS. Coupled with a 9900 yen 2DS it will have some legs though.

lol, the first Pokemon just came out. That alone will see at least 2 more releases before the next thing comes out. There's also already confirmed development for 2015 titles such as that creepy Pikachu detective thing and some Monolith RPG.

RalchAC

Wow, my prediction where right... I think I need to take part in that thing more often.

Great hold for the Vita (as I hoped), The WiiU with a drop (in %) similar to last year and nice sales for Kirby. It was reported the first shipment was as big as Zelda's, it was sold out in quite some stores, so those 200-230k were kinda expected.

When will we get digital sales numbers and that yearly top100? I want to see that info :)

Uuuh are people really shocked that the sales spike for Wii U didn't continue? It was pretty obvious that it was just going to be a temporary thing.

Some people expected that it would raise the numbers a bit, keeping the low to 20-25k weekly sales.

Reality showed otherwise.

What's vita got in the near future to sustain sales?

Lot's of animu games and PS3/4 crossreleases.

Xis

There was no real proof of this considering it was holidays and the Vita had all sorts of cheap deals on offer.

Agreed, but:
The PS4 sold huge numbers (4 million+), if even a tiny percentage (say 2-3%) of those buyers bought a Vita it would have made a 100K difference to Vita sales.

Now, to bring it back on-topic (Japanese sales), will PSVita remote play be more appealing to Japanese customers? I would wager not, as we have seen the closest parallel (the WiiU) flounder.

Asd202

lol, the first Pokemon just came out. That alone will see at least 2 more releases before the next thing comes out. There's also already confirmed development for 2015 titles such as that creepy Pikachu detective thing and some Monolith RPG.

Monolith RPG for 3DS was already debunked by Duckroll. So unless they started making one recently it's not coming.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What's the 3DS and Vita 2014 lineup?

Ninja Dom

Why does New Super Mario Bros U (over a million now) and Wii Party U show up just outside the Famitsu Top 10 but aren't in the Media Create Top 20??

Mario Kart moves more units than Smash. I love both series. What they should do is cut the price of the Wii U to $249.99 on the day MK8 is released.

Amount of software sold doesn't necessarily tell you which one moves more HW. I think it's entirely possible that smash bros will move more HW than nintendos other big hitters. The problem is that right now that still isn't all that much.

Kandinsky

Mario Kart moves more units than Smash. I love both series. What they should do is cut the price of the Wii U to $249.99 on the day MK8 is released.

I don't know, to me Mario Kart Wii was an anomaly. I really think Smash will move more consoles. Look at GC times, with DD and Melee.

Well done Chris, you were right, I was incredibly wrong :).

The good thing about this unreal hardware collapse is that Iwata will have to take serious action now after his "we will review the consoles future after the Holiday's". The much improved Japanese WiiU hardware sales might have given him a way out by saying "Mario shows that our big name games turn around sales."

I thought there was official artwork?

Artwork that was used in their web for job postings or something similar. It wasn't conclusive that they were working on something.

The fact that Monolith Kyoto is mostly compromissed of graphic designers and artists and that they're basically doing grunt job for Nintendo games like Pikmin 3 and ALBW, concludes that they don't even have the staff to undergo a project by themselves and much less that Nintendo will stop using them as some asset group.

Tratorn

Could someone post the sales of all (3D) Marios in the same timeframe, please? I remember the first week from 3D World was sadly the worst, but did it sell good enough in dezember to change that? :)

Scum

60k for Kirby. lol

It's just a feeling I have. Sure, I might be wrong more likely than not. But with the Wii U doing badly, it makes sense for them to invest in a new handheld as a "third pillar" soon.

New hardware so soon is a daft idea. Promoting the few games yet to be released will be better idea. Software output for the WiiU is one of the problems.

Somnid

Well done Chris, you were right, I was incredibly wrong :).

The good thing about this unreal hardware collapse is that Iwata will have to take serious action now after his "we will review the consoles future after the Holiday's". The much improved Japanese WiiU hardware sales might have given him a way out by saying "Mario shows that our big name games turn around sales."

I don't know why people keep thinking this. Action on the hardware front takes months to years, anything of interest would have had to been planned as far in advance. Right now serious action in the revival style requires a system redesign or some crazy new game and if you see one it'll have been in the works for a while.

I don#t think we know of many 2014 3DS titles. From the top of my head the big ones are Mario Gold, Smash Bros, Yoshi's Island and that Fossil Fighters game or whatever that is called.

Dragon Quest Monsters 2
New Love Plus+
Persona Q

are probably the other "big" ones.

Top Bottom