• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2014 (Jan 06 - Jan 12)

Somnid

That's in the ideal situation but they need games that can sell reasonably right now rather than simply talent. They're software portfolio for their home consoles is practically deserted in comparison to a console with third party support which needs to change one way or another. Either by becoming entirely self sufficient, or regaining the support.

You can't afford to pick and choose with a console like the wii u.

What isn't so obvious is that they have absorbed a huge amount of talent from other large Japanese publishers. The problem is the dire state of the Japanese console industry and the seeming lack of interest in console development. Home consoles are almost entirely in the hands of western devs which Nintendo doesn't have much of a handle on.

Another thing I thought about was a "western porting studio" or something like this.

Problem is that 3rd parties decrease their efforts even more, because Nintendo can port it on their own if they want to and they do nothing until then and the question is how much game that studio could port in one year for example.

Or they could increase their outsorcing output (even more).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How much is Sega/Atlus worth these days? It wouldn't help a huge amount outside of Japan, but Nintendo/Sega/Atlus would have no problem controlling the Japanese market. I'd argue even if Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter switched teams, Nintendo (with Sega and Atlus) would still be comfortable in Japan.
Getting niche games like Persona 5 and controlling Sega's bigger franchises might make small shifts in the west, but ultimately they would probably still lose out.

I think you're underestimating Capcom's appeal. I mean RE4 Wii sold well enough and SF4 3DS also sold pretty damn well so I don't think they'd be lost just by being on Nintendo's consoles. Obviously there would be quite a big contraction, but what Nintendo really needs is a set of franchises that can be seen as "cool" like Resident Evil and Street Fighter. They're not enough obviously, but there really needs to be a big overhaul in Nintendo's image if they want to remain relevent as a home console manufacturer. Bayonetta 2 was a pretty good move IMO, but one franchise isn't going to convince the average 18 year old+ gamer that it's not embarrassing to own a Nintendo.
The other candidate is Sega Sammy's game division.

I think Nintendo could get a deal done for less than $3bn and it would give them control of a large number of key franchises and they would find it easier to hold onto the key talent of a Japanese company.

It would, however, have little to no effect on their western success as Sega are not really a big deal outside of Japan.
What would buying Sega/Atlus actually get Nintendo?

Persona isn't an especially big franchise and Sonic does poorly locally.

I guess there's Yakuza, but again we're looking at a 400-500K seller on the platform it's on currently.

Then there's Miku games, but those don't seem to be flying off the shelves on 3DS.

They also already get half of those franchises as it is.

Things like Total War and Football Manager also become dead weight pretty quickly with a buyout.

Take Two would be a good target if Nintendo were ever to just go all in. It gives them control over GTA, RDR, Bioshock and 2k Sports. Plus they could get a deal done for less than $4bn. Whether they would be able to hold onto key talent afterwards is for a separate discussion.

I don't see it ever happening though. Nintendo management are too stuffy and conservative to ever go for broke.

I fear they may need to do so as the dedicated handheld market continues to shrink and their final part of their empire crumbles after the 3DS.

Take-Two is probably the most feasible option for the audience they lack, but yeah, that's a hard proposition to hold on to any of the staff.

Shinriji

One huge game that is exclusive to Vita is KanColle Kai. Its kinda hard to know how good it will sell, but it should boost some hardware.

Nintendo have been the No.1 publisher in Japan for some years now, no need in investing more there.

Their money is better spent on markets they are weak in (EU/PAL).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What would buying Sega/Atlus actually get Nintendo?

Persona isn't an especially big franchise and Sonic does poorly locally.

I guess there's Yakuza, but again we're looking at a 400-500K seller on the platform it's on currently.

Then there's Miku games, but those don't seem to be flying off the shelves on 3DS.

They also already get half of those franchises as it is.

Things like Total War and Football Manager also become dead weight pretty quickly with a buyout.

3DS wise buying any large Japanese publisher is pointless, since they tend to get reasonable support by default.

The purpose would be for consoles, which Japanese third party publishers don't want to touch Nintendo's (or general) with a 10 foot barge pole.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Would From Software make a good buy? Seems like having Dark Souls exclusive to their library would be good for Nintendo.

I feel singular buys aren't really a solution to a general problem. They needs tons of exclusive AAA content for these audiences to get them to move over or to convince third parties en masse to just support the platform, though that starts at the hardware itself.

Next Level Games would be the most realistic option right now. :p

Right, I think studios where they're actually stepping in and creating the kind of content they actually make and believe in makes the most sense, so starting studios from the ground up seems like a far more feasible option to me.

Nintendo Montreal and Nintendo Los Angeles are the kinds of moves they should be making if they want more Western targeted content in my opinion.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. :)
And sorry that I didn't ask for that in the first post, but could you (or someone else) also post the first week sales again?

Sad to see 3D World with 100k sales less than Sunshine tbh. But well, the problem is the platform and not the game.

The Wii U is only 5% behind the Gamecube at week 57 and 3D World even had the benefit of the holidays which Sunshine hasn't yet.

The problem really is the game, not the system.

Edit: and I forgot to mention that Sunshine's week 8 was earlier in Gamecubes history, so 3D world actually has a bigger install base to sell to after factoring in that.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Next Level Games is almost a Nintendo first party, right now. They won't work with others for a looong time XD

What are they doing with NST? Did that get involved in some of the reorganisation initiatives that are characterising Nintendo recently?

Puru

One huge game that is exclusive to Vita is KanColle Kai. Its kinda hard to know how good it will sell, but it should boost some hardware.

They should try releasing bundles with several girl design. I'm sure it would move hardware pretty decently.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Next Level Games is almost a Nintendo first party, right now. They won't work with others for a looong time XD

What are they doing with NST? Did that get involved in some of the reorganisation initiatives that are characterising Nintendo recently?

I believe they're making eShop games like Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move and Crosswords Plus.

sörine

Banned
4.7M of MHP3rd was reported on June 2011, which didn't include "PSP the Best" version (released September 2011).

MHP3rd had bigger legs at the same period. It sold almost 70K during week 2 of 2011 and maintain 30k+ sales all the way though Feb. There is no way MH4 will match that even including digital sales.
Be that as it may I don't think 4.7m is anywhere near out of the question for MH4. You're also comparing 7 full months of 3rd sales to just under 4 months of 4.

At the end of the day 4 will outsell 3rd's final total anyway thanks to western release.

Another thing I noticed looking through Nintendos financials is this:

The curve of their content income / royalties income...
cont_incn9q8h.png

...is almost identical to this graph:
27_2l.jpg

It isn't really explained what "Content Income" is (in their older reports it was called "Royalties & content income"), so it could be that this section just includes the whole digital business.

Or the growth in royalties (it's currently higher than all Wii / NDS years (aside from 2010)) and the Wii & NDS sold a lot more 3rd Party software than 3DS & Wii U, could be explained by the emphasis
on indie developers and their own digital business. Maybe they earn more money with digital / indy games than with normal 3rd Party games.

If this is a thing, Nintendo could care even less about the big western 3rd Parties, instead they're going to concentrate to expand their own output, do it faster, concentrate on 3rd party collaborations and crossovers and the indie market.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
sörine;97216538 said:
Be that as it may I don't think 4.7m is anywhere near out of the question for MH4. You're also comparing 7 full months of 3rd sales to just under 4 months of 4.

At the end of the day 4 will outsell 3rd's final total anyway thanks to western release.

This is probably part of the reason why Capcom jumped ship, Nintendo was willing to and had already handled a successful western release. MHP3 however likely annoyed Capcom.

Mpl90

I believe they're making eShop games like Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move and Crosswords Plus.

So, no reorganisation yet?

IMHO, they should become NIP, Nintendo Indie Project, with Dan Adelman being heavily involved.
Basically, a team that not only continue releasing Marion& Donkey Kong, but that also helps in develooment for those indie projects that are considered so interesting to become Nintendo-published digital only titles.

Moreover, Tantalus / Straight Right could become their team for developing specific third party titles: they're already doing that, and they're continuing (I don't know how...it seems their projects are cheap).

B.O.O.M

I expected around 20k for both wiiu/vita ..vita did better than I expected while wiiu did worse than expected

Wonder where wiiu will go next week? 11k? Vita I'm guessing will go to 20k range

4.7M of MHP3rd was reported on June 2011, which didn't include "PSP the Best" version (released September 2011).

MHP3rd had bigger legs at the same period. It sold almost 70K during week 2 of 2011 and maintain 30k+ sales all the way though Feb. There is no way MH4 will match that even including digital sales.
That's shipped: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e110920.html

Capcom has shipped 4 million copies of MH4: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e131204.html

And your early 2011 comparison is totally off, MH4 released in September and MHP3 in December.

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------
|    |  [B]MH Portable 3rd[/B]  |  [B]Monster Hunter 4[/B] |  [B]Difference[/B]  |
|    | [PSP] (2010.12.01)| [3DS] (2013.09.14)|              |
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------|
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   | MHP3rd - MH4 |
|  1 |2.146.467|2.146.467|1.875.115|1.875.115|      -271.352|
|  2 |  514.198|2.660.665|  432.286|2.307.401|      -353.264|
|  3 |  434.837|3.095.502|  234.713|2.542.114|      -553.388|  
|  4 |  385.487|3.480.989|  164.593|2.706.707|      -774.282| 
|  5 |  317.471|3.798.460|  111.230|2.817.937|      -980.523|  
|  6 |  155.839|3.954.299|   97.336|2.915.273|    -1.039.026|  
|  7 |   80.703|4.035.002|   60.206|2.975.479|    -1.059.523|  
|  8 |   56.450|4.091.452|   47.393|3.022.872|    -1.068.580|  
|  9 |   39.453|4.130.905|   39.167|3.062.039|    -1.068.866| 
| 10 |   32.655|4.163.560|   32.813|3.094.852|    -1.068.708|
| 11 |  104.900|4.268.460|   24.684|3.119.536|    -1.148.924|
| 12 |   26.865|4.295.325|   25.756|3.145.292|    -1.150.033|
| 13 |   20.594|4.315.919|   25.743|3.171.035|    -1.144.884|
| 14 |   16.912|4.332.831|   35.660|3.206.695|    -1.126.136|
| 15 |   13.981|4.346.722|   46.279|3.252.974|    -1.093.748|
| 16 |   11.924|4.358.646|   40.338|3.293.312|    -1.065.334|
| 17 |   13.536|4.372.182|   48.622|3.341.934|    -1.030.248|
| 18 |   12.946|4.385.128|   19.133|Hi Bruno!|              |
| 19 |    9.589|4.394.171|         |         |              |
| 20 |    6.246|4.400.963|         |         |              |
| 21 |    5.929|4.406.892|         |         |              |
| 22 |    7.442|4.414.334|         |         |              |
| 23 |    7.381|4.421.175|         |         |              |
| 24 |    3.844|4.425.599|         |         |              |
| 25 |    3.766|4.429.365|         |         |              |
| 26 |    4.360|4.433.725|         |         |              |
| 27 |    4.170|4.437.895|         |         |              |
| 28 |    3.856|4.441.751|         |         |              |
| 29 |    3.796|4.445.547|         |         |              |
| 30 |    3.711|4.449.258|         |         |              |
|Year|   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |  Difference  |
|  1 |3.480.989|3.480.989|3.293.312|3.293.312|      -187.677|
|  2 |1.021.457|4.502.446|   48.622|3.341.934|      -972.835|
| LTD|        -|4.502.446|        -|3.341.934|    -1.160.512|     
|LTD2|        -|4.826.665|        -|3.598.137|    -1.228.528|     
LTD2 = Physical copies + budget re-releases + download cards + digital sales if available

[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (Capcom) {2010.12.01} - 2.146.467 / 4.502.446
[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP the Best) (Capcom) {2011.09.22} - 15.113 / 324.206

Total - 4.826.665

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom) {2013.09.14} - 1.875.115 / 3.341.934
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - Digital Sales (Capcom) {2013.09.14} - 256.203

Total - 3.598.137
The legs battle begins now.

This is probably part of the reason why Capcom jumped ship, Nintendo was willing to and had already handled a successful western release. MHP3 however likely annoyed Capcom.

I doubt it. Capcom treats a western MH release as a complete afterthought. I don't think they really care about the measly western sales.

test_account

XP-39C²
If Monster Hunter 3 for Wii was very successful for Capcom, nothing would stop them from releasing Monster Hunter Portable 3rd themself in the west. They easily have the money for it, but they didnt do anything about it. Why would it annoy them?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If Monster Hunter 3 for Wii was very successful for Capcom, nothing would stop them from releasing Monster Hunter Portable 3rd themself in the west. They easily have the money for it, but they didnt do anything about it. Why would it annoy them?

Pretty sure sony road blocked (or at the very least didn't aid), some of it's versions release in the west (mostly talking about HD).

I doubt it. Capcom treats a western MH release as a complete afterthought. I don't think they really care about the measly western sales.

The point was they wanted to expand the western sales, to increase franchise popularity since the west had the biggest potential for growth.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Apparently it's Sony's fault that it never got localised.

At Capcom all their messes are someone elses fault, and oh look where they are right now. Probably should have owned more of their own shit than chase trends/lie/blame other people.

Pretty sure sony road blocked (or at the very least didn't aid), some of it's versions release in the west (mostly talking about HD).

I'm never sure how much stock to put into Sven's shit with the similar "oh its a Sony" blame game being played with Megaman Powered Up too. Sure, maybe there is truth to 'HD Collections' needing to be collections, but in kind I'm sure Capcom could have whizzed out a Freedom Unite HD to accompany Portable 3rd HD. I think it was more likely Capcom as well didnt want to invest much into any online solutions/servers at the time. They busked their asses pretty hard this past gen with "advertising incentives" from Microsoft and Nintendo. Deep Down is Sony's turn it seems.

test_account

XP-39C²
Apparently it's Sony fault that it never got localised.
Nah. You might be thinking about MP3rdHD for PS3, but that doesnt explain the PSP version. Naturally Sony wouldnt put a stop to this. I dont know if the reasons for MHP3rdHD was even fully confirmed or if it was just some rumors (due to the western PS3s doesnt support Ad-Hoc party or something).

Spiegel

MH3G had started development before MHP3 PSP was even released. So, no, most likely Capcom jumped ship because 3DS was the successor of the DS and they didn't have to spend more money creating higher quality assets.

(We are discussing this for the 300th time in the last three years)

test_account

XP-39C²
What makes you pretty sure of that? But why didnt they release the PSP version if they were annoyed? That Sony didnt aid doesnt explain this. Capcom is a 3rd party that have a lot of experience releasing games worldwide without aid.

boingball

Vita numbers compared to last year are sure looking good (in fact the only HW with y2y improvement).

Wii U on the other hand is dropping fast again. Seems like the christmas numbers were just a last hooray.

Kandinsky

Can't really blame Capcom for not bringing 3rd over, PSP was selling close to zero software at the time. Same with Type-0.

Still hurts D:

MH3G had started development before MHP3 PSP was even released. So, no, most likely Capcom jumped ship because 3DS was the successor of the DS and they didn't have to spend more money creating higher quality assets.

Seriously, but also for the 300th time what makes you think Vita automatically means "higher quality assets"? lol this is Capcom.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Yeah but did it start as a pure 3DS release, when the normal transition would be a PSP release either way.

Clearly something went sour between the two portable wise (obviously not home console or in general) however you don't completely ditch a platform like the Vita from onset without no reason.

Jigorath

Banned
Would From Software make a good buy? Seems like having Dark Souls exclusive to their library would be good for Nintendo.

That would be worth it just for meltdowns. Not gonna happen though since From seems to have very little interest in Nintendo consoles.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What makes you pretty sure of that? But why didnt they release the PSP version if they were annoyed? That Sony didnt aid doesnt explain this. Capcom is a 3rd party that have a lot of experience releasing games worldwide without aid.

Not necessarily Sony's fault more that Sony's platforms at the time weren't a good avenue for western growth and Sony weren't willing to pay.

Nintendo were.

I mean MH3U managed to ship 600k units, It was from a western growth point of view a reasonable move.

Nah. You might be thinking about MP3rdHD for PS3, but that doesnt explain the PSP version. Naturally Sony wouldnt put a stop to this. I dont know if the reasons for MHP3rdHD was even fully confirmed or if it was just some rumors (due to the western PS3s doesnt support Ad-Hoc party or something).

They probably already had deal with Nintendo signed so it would be counter productive to release psp game.

Pain

Banned
Can't really blame Capcom for not bringing 3rd over, PSP was selling close to zero software at the time. Same with Type-0.

Still hurts D:

Seriously, but also for the 300th time what makes you think Vita automatically means "higher quality assets"? lol this is Capcom.
Chicken and egg. PSP wasn't' selling software because it wasn't getting software. The install base was there....

Mpl90

I think EA buys From Software/Platinum would make for a better thread.

Dark Souls 3: Premium Manor

Parts of the game unlockable by souls
1,000 souls at 99.99$
"Your wallett died"

The Wonderful $101
Each hero costs 1$. You need to wait two hours to use Unite attacks, or to pay $0.50, each and every time.

sörine

Banned
MH3 did around 800,000 in the west. MH3U is harder to pinpoint but it looks like it probably shipped around the same amount. There aren't too many Japanese franchises that do "measly" numbers like that anymore.

They probably already had deal with Nintendo signed so it would be counter productive to release psp game.
If that were the case then why did Capcom USA try to bring over 3rd HD?

Fularu

Banned

Wasn't 3G a Wii game at the start though?

cafemomo

The Wii U is going to beat the Xbox 360 in lifetime sales soon, that's gotta count for something right?
man, if we are gonna celebrate that, then we should be partying that the Vita is outselling the OG 3DS model.

Next Level Games would be the most realistic option right now. :p

+ Monster Games.

NLG can cover Luigi and other forgoten Nintendo IPs
Monster can be Nintendo's sports/racing studio

with Retro pumping out DK til the end of time

Top Bottom