• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2012 (Jul 30 - Aug 05)

YuChai

DIGITAL FORM OF NSMB2 SAVES NINTENDO'S MONEY TO PREPARE THE CARD. DON'T KNOW HOW IT AFFECTS THE PROFIT MARGIN.

Hero

DQX did better than I thought. But as I always say in threads about MMO launch numbers its not initial sales that matter, it's the active subscriber count three, six and twelve months from launch.

NSMB2 retail a little weaker than I expected. Could digital redemption and eShop numbers be decent for it? I would estimate 50K - 100K would have been bought digitally.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Great 3DS HW sales, I imagine next week it's expected to drop another 50% (which is still going to be pretty good overall, just asking when the new launch effect will wear off)?

More than likely. And I hate to play the download card but until we know how it's doing download wise it's a bit difficult to properly gauge its sales. Hopefully Nintendo will release some numbers soon (Hah).
I don't think we should put too much stock in download numbers. From the reaction the PSPGo got, I doubt the download numbers will be anything to shout about for 3DS.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Hey why are we back to Media Create title instead of "Japanese sales: 2012 July 30 - Aug 5"?

That was an informative title that didn't require any prior knowledge of Japanese sales trackers.

Who cares for a tracker that combines 3DS sales.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Hey why are we back to Media Create title instead of "Japanese sales: 2012 July 30 - Aug 5"?

That was an informative title that didn't require any prior knowledge of Japanese sales trackers.

Because not having people without prior knowledge of Japanese sales trackers in these threads is a good thing.

test_account

XP-39C²
Not to mention, digital sales will also provide a boost. We will have to wait for the nintendo direct in what, two weeks to find out numbers right?
I hope that Nintendo makes a difference in these numbers by splitting direct Eshop sales and retail download card sales. If they combine them, they are kinda "useless" (unless the trackers confirm that they arent tracking the download card SKU, but i see no reason why they wouldnt).

NeonZ

As far as NSMB 2 goes, I gotta say, I think people are starting to get burnt out a little on Mario games. Sure, it almost seems like that is impossible, but in the last years we've had:

NSMB DS
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
NSMB Wii
Super Mario 3D Land
NSMB 3DS

That's a LOT of Mario games in like, 6 or 7 years. Most of them sold like gangbusters, so I think we might be seeing a little fatigue over here.

If NSMB2 underperforms, I'd say that it's just an inherent flaw of the New Super Mario Bros. series itself. Even games like Mario Kart have clear visual differences from one game to the next one. They don't reuse most of the visual elements from previous games, and always add something new that makes it stand out.

NSMB2 in various aspects resembles the progression between SMB 1 and Super Mario Bros. 2 (Jp), with the clear reused elements, even if there's new level designs and gameplay twists added. NSMB's having the same bland look for every installment without attempting any kind of significant variation (I mean, the "backgrounds" being different is considered a huge change for the Wii U version and that's just ridiculous if you look at that outside of its own context) will just hurt the brand in the end.

Now, Nintendo doesn't seem to consider it a problem. If anything, they seem to think that keeping the same visual style makes them more approachable to returning gamers. Well, I guess we'll see how this will turn out, especially when we get the digital numbers (or if we don't get them due to Nintendo backtracking, in spite of their initial announcement about revealing them).

Will Japan hit 10+ million sold 3DS's before the years end?

I thought about that while I was brushing my teeth, and I think it's quite possible, but line-up for the end of the year is quite obscute; we know Animal Crossing is coming, and then Paper Mario and Style Savvy... And then? It'll be difficult to reach 1.6 in December as last year.

Hero

I think a better question is can the 3DS reach 8 million units LTD before PSV can reach 1 million units LTD?

Looking at it now, even though the DS won the PSP still put up respectable hardware numbers.

Was the DS ever ahead of the PSP by this much before?

I think a better question is can the 3DS reach 8 million units LTD before PSV can reach 1 million units LTD?

Looking at it now, even though the DS won the PSP still put up respectable hardware numbers.

Was the DS ever ahead of the PSP by this much before?

Haha the DS is ahead by more than that now. Check the front page. The 3DS should be able to comfortably pass 9 million. 10 million is out of the question though.

Frillen

Can't believe the Wii only sold 407k last year. I remember the DS sold 599k in ONE week alone, back in December 2005.

Didn't knew I had a fan. I stand by that prediction though.

Well it was predicated on this:

Sony PSVita strategy:

1.Make it a powerhouse for Digital Only games. Like steam but portable. This a niche where they won't have direct competition.
2.Multiplayer focused.
3.Create a really grand catalog of content, then bring that content to their smartphones/tablets once they can incorporate the technology.
4. Unique software.
5. Lower the price of hardware to mainstream prices. Vita + Memory card <199.99
6. Revision with storage out of the box.
7. PSN complete backwards compatibility with PS1/minis/psp.
8. First party games.
9.PS suite.

All achievable goals in my opinion.

When I look at Vita, I think that Sony has a long term strategy,they should start seeing the effectiveness after 1 year of the worldwide launch. However there's more to it than that, Vita is the incentive that Sony is using to create premium digital content, that will enable them to offer unique gaming experiences in the mobile space (smartphones/tablets), there's also the fact that if Sony could turn the fortunes of the unmitigated disaster that was the PS3 @ launch I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt with Vita.

So yes doomed camp GAF, you will be eating crow as I think the PSVita will be a successful venture for Sony.

Which of these goals do you see them taking steps towards since then? Clearly it hasn't been a long period of time yet, but there should be some evidence of improvement in some areas since then.

BriBri

While I wouldn't call NSMB2 a flop as a) it's only week 2, b) we're unsure of the digital data, c) no western release at present and d) the figures still destroy most other games, I do agree that two similar NSMB within a few months is a big mistake. The gold gimmick doesn't quite do it for me and presumably others beside. What would've been a better gimmick to differentiate it to NSMBU could be something like New Super Mario Bros USA as a take on the western SMB2 with four playable characters, or a New Super Mario Bros World title with Yoshi etc etc.

test_account

XP-39C²
Can't believe the Wii only sold 407k last year. I remember the DS sold 599k in ONE week alone, back in December 2005.
The YTD is up to this date. The Wii sold just under 900k for whole 2011. But yeah, still put things in perspective compared to that monster DS week.

Frillen

The YTD is up to this date. The Wii sold just under 900k for whole 2011. But yeah, still put things in perspective compared to that monster DS week.

Damn, forgot about that. Speaking of Paper Mario, does anyone have numbers for Paper Mario 64 and Paper Mario for the Cube? How much can we expect Paper Mario 3DS to sell? Is Paper Mario 3DS + Animal Crossing as strong as the MK7, SML3D and MH3 combo from last year?

While I wouldn't call NSMB2 a flop as a) it's only week 2, b) we're unsure of the digital data, c) no western release at present and d) the figures still destroy most other games, I do agree that two similar NSMB within a few months is a big mistake. The gold gimmick doesn't quite do it for me and presumably others beside. What would've been a better gimmick to differentiate it to NSMBU could be something like New Super Mario Bros USA as a take on the western SMB2 with four playable characters, or a New Super Mario Bros World title with Yoshi etc etc.

Imo, the fact is:
Will NSMB2 sell less than the first one? Yes.
Will NSMB2 sell badly? No.
Is NSMB2 selling badly? No.
Is NSMB2 selling below many people's expectations? Yes.

But I do think Nintendo is profitable with this game even with its first week, I mean, it's a rehash of NSMB without having so much effort from the production team. Clearly, one would like to avoid an abysmal decline from one entry to another one, but let's take NSMB2 for what it is: a simple and harmless cash-in.

Damn, forgot about that. Speaking of Paper Mario, does anyone have numbers for Paper Mario 64 and Paper Mario for the Cube? How much can we expect Paper Mario 3DS to sell? Is Paper Mario 3DS + Animal Crossing as strong as the MK7, SML3D and MH3 combo from last year?

Paper Mario - 425,609
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - 398,218
Super Paper Mario - 505,491

Animal Crossing should be strong, Paper Mario is strong but not a million seller by any means... Then we might be surprised given how Mario&Luigi 3 sold and imo this new entry could end up at 600-700k.

Road

Haha the DS is ahead by more than that now. Check the front page. The 3DS should be able to comfortably pass 9 million. 10 million is out of the question though.

Another way to look at it:

The 3DS has sold 8x as much as the Vita. If we ignore the near launch period, the DS peaked at 3.26x PSP in Sep. 2007.

Obviously the 3DS has 10 months lead on the Vita.

Aligning launches, 3DS is at 2.4x Vita after 34 weeks. After 34 weeks, the DS was 1.7x PSP.

As for absolute difference between DS and PSP, 15.9m was the maximum.

Garaph:
http://garaph.info/sqldirect.php?queryid=2891
http://garaph.info/linecompare.php/...h/gr-2/hf/sys-3/PSP/date-3/psplaunch/gr-3/hf/

Somnid

Also worth pointing out NSMB2 could very likely be more profitable than NSMB even if it never sells as much simply due to higher MSRP, digital sales and DLC.

Hero

Another way to look at it:

The 3DS has sold 8x as much as the Vita. If we ignore the near launch period, the DS peaked at 3.26x PSP in Sep. 2007.

Obviously the 3DS has 10 months lead on the Vita.

Aligning launches, 3DS is at 2.4x Vita after 34 weeks. After 34 weeks, the DS was 1.7x PSP.

As for absolute difference between DS and PSP, 15.9m was the maximum.

Garaph:
http://garaph.info/sqldirect.php?queryid=2891
http://garaph.info/linecompare.php/...h/gr-2/hf/sys-3/PSP/date-3/psplaunch/gr-3/hf/

Thanks, this is the type of information I was looking for.

So yeah...Vita really needs a game to break out like Monster Hunter did for the PSP.

Well it was predicated on this:

Which of these goals do you see them taking steps towards since then? Clearly it hasn't been a long period of time yet, but there should be some evidence of improvement in some areas since then.

Definitely made some progress on 1 & 2. Baby steps on 7,8,9.

DQX should clearly have been on the PS3 to take advantage of the increased HDD speed and pure HD visuals.

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

Great 3DS HW sales, I imagine next week it's expected to drop another 50% (which is still going to be pretty good overall, just asking when the new launch effect will wear off)?
Another 50%? The 3DS prior to the XL anouncement was floating around 70K. The 3DS has consistently been selling around 40K for the past 3 weeks, you expect the XL to only sell 20K or so next week? Or the 3DS to all of a sudden nosedive?

I think these are the most notable releases:
Don't forget about

DQX should clearly have been on the PS3 to take advantage of the increased HDD speed and pure HD visuals.

It should be in as many platforms as possible, including PC. Also PS3/PC users would be more likely to subscribe to it long term.

However that's not the situation at hand.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I really hope NSMB2 underperforms.

The whole reason for this game's existence seems to be to drive hardware sales and I do not like that.

Consumers should send a message that creativity and freshness is what is valued, not rehashed games and visuals.

It went for the Wii because it's cheaper to make. I don't think DQX was planned to be an MMO from the beginning, regardless of what SQE told us.

If SE/Nintendo is smart they'll have some sort of ability to carry over your characters/save from Wii DQX to WiiU DQX to get some people to double dip.

Top Bottom