• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2012 (Sep 03 - Sep 09)

Hero

Isn't it well known that Sony pretty much lured Squaresoft over to their side with lower production costs and helped them with other finances? Then Squaresoft convinced Enix and other companies to jump ship and that was all she wrote.

hongcha

Great to see the 3DS selling so well every week. It seems to be the system everyone in Japan is playing.

Vita is hanging in there. LBP is out next week, then Ys IV the week after. So much good stuff coming in the next few months, the system sales should pick up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Isn't it well known that Sony pretty much lured Squaresoft over to their side with lower production costs and helped them with other finances? Then Squaresoft convinced Enix and other companies to jump ship and that was all she wrote.

Having better fundamentals is considered moneyhatting now?

But seriously, yes, they did help out with FF7's localization and massive ad blitz and it paid off big time.

Great to see the 3DS selling so well every week. It seems to be the system everyone in Japan is playing.

Vita is hanging in there. LBP is out next week, then Ys IV the week after. So much good stuff coming in the next few months, the system sales should pick up.
Is this a running joke?

It's not that Sony moneyhatted third parties... It worked to have their support by creating better development conditions, offering lower royalties than Nintendo, and most importantly, having the CD-Rom as a support. It was a mix of factors.

muu

Ys may or may not be a blip (the limited edition is #45 on Amazon, nowhere to be found on comg), LBP is going to do absolutely nothing.

Hero

Having better fundamentals is considered moneyhatting now?

But seriously, yes, they did help out with FF7's localization and massive ad blitz and it paid off big time.

Fundamentals weren't part of the discussion. There was money involved at the time. This was at a time when Nintendo was pretty shitty towards third parties so it's understandable how things went out. Pretty sure Sony helped bail Square out after The Spirits Within bomba fiasco too.

Fundamentals weren't part of the discussion. There was money involved at the time. This was at a time when Nintendo was pretty shitty towards third parties so it's understandable how things went out. Pretty sure Sony helped bail Square out after The Spirits Within bomba fiasco too.
What are you even talking about. Royalty fees and expensive carts were a huge part of the equation. There was certainly money involved for some things like resident evil but you are kidding yourself to think nintendo wasnt the primary factor involved

Hero

What are you even talking about. Royalty fees and expensive carts were a huge part of the equation. There was certainly money involved for some things like resident evil but you are kidding yourself to think nintendo wasnt the primary factor involved

The fuck?

Hero said:
This was at a time when Nintendo was pretty shitty towards third parties so it's understandable how things went out

piteru

Banned
well tokyo game show is going to be pretty interesting.
if we dont see any solid announcements from sony for psv,i dont what else can we wait for..
psv is lagging behind and both the price and the games are the reason.
nintendo learned(*) their lesson,lets see if sony learned anything...

(assuming they release wii u for a reasonable price,during these hard economic days)

AniHawk

damn the japanese industry sure is dead. the only somewhat impressive thing is dqx's staying power considering what it is.

Kazerei

Banned
so... did the dreamcast - Vita streams cross in that graph we've been using in the last weeks???

Nope, the Miku bump came at a good time. The release schedule over the next month looks pretty good, so I think Vita will be able to stay ahead. November and December seem barren though.

test_account

XP-39C²
Tomb Raider, GTA, FinalFantasy come to mind also minor games like Soul Calibur 3.
Other have already asked, but i'd also like source/proof for this.

But even if it was true for these 4 games, saying that Sony is only successful because they moneyhatted everything is a kinda weird statement in my opinion.

muu

damn the japanese industry sure is dead. the only somewhat impressive thing is dqx's staying power considering what it is.

Compared to what? The US seems to be in much worse shape, what with the #1 spot over a 1-month period at less than 300K sales combined over several platforms. IMO a lot of people spoke way too soon when they started talking about how Japan is no longer a significant territory when considering sales a few years back.

It really looks like that last gen was the peak of Japanese market. 3DS is failing to succeed DS in sales, Vita completely bombing compared to PSP and home console market pretty much dead. Well Wii U and PS4 are yet to launch but when handhelds are majorly down compared to last gen why would home console sales suddenly rise again... I guess demographic changes in Japan are starting affect gaming market.

Chunky

Compared to what? The US seems to be in much worse shape, what with the #1 spot over a 1-month period at less than 300K sales combined over several platforms. IMO a lot of people spoke way too soon when they started talking about how Japan is no longer a significant territory when considering sales a few years back.
I thought Ani's 'schtick' was pretty well known by now?

qq more

30./00. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Dubbed Edition (New Price Edition) <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.09.06} (¥2.940) - 3.165 / NEW

Am I the only one who somehow misread "Dubbed" as "Dubstep" lol

test_account

XP-39C²
Can someone remind me why there is no Monster Hunter for the PSV?
No one knows for sure. Guesses are from that Capcom decided to go for 3DS because it is cheaper to develope for it (no need to make "HD" textures etc.) to that Nintendo moneyhatted it. My guess is that there is a combination between these two things. Capcom does expand the MH brand, but the main Monster Hunter games have been strong enough to be on one platform only.

No one knows for sure. Guesses are from that Capcom decided to go for 3DS because it is cheaper to develope for it (no need to make "HD" textures etc.) to that Nintendo moneyhatted it. My guess is that there is a combination between these two things.

Also: 3DS was the successor of the best selling console of all time in Japan by a large margin, so it would have really made sense developing from that, no matter what.

3DS is failing to succeed DS in sales

A statement best made at a time when they've both been through the same number of holiday seasons.

This isn't a "wait for Christmas to save the 3DS" post, either. They're reasonably close and this is the one major difference that separates the two at this point. I don't necessarily expect it to do better than the DS, but it's possible.

Actually I don't think anyone expected the 3DS or WiiU to match their previous sales. I don't think that points toward the death of gaming or anything, they just both set ridiculously high bars.

Never forget, I see :lol

ilaqkzs5tNL7q.jpg

donny2112

Sony didn't actually moneyhat much at all during the PS1-PS2 days, companies just developed for the best selling platform and gave the scraps to the others.

When multi-platform Soul Calibur II sells best on GameCube in the U.S. and then Soul Calibur III is a PS2 exclusive, then you know something happened behind the scenes.

test_account

XP-39C²
Also: 3DS was the successor of the best selling console of all time in Japan by a large margin, so it would have really made sense developing from that, no matter what.
Yep, that too =)

When multi-platform Soul Calibur II sells best on GameCube in the U.S. and then Soul Calibur III is a PS2 exclusive, then you know something happened behind the scenes.
I think maybe the late release could also have something to do with it (late 2005 for Soul Calibur 3). The difference between the Gamecube and PS2 version wasnt exactly huge in the US. Any sales numbers for Europe?

Sony didn't actually moneyhat much at all during the PS1-PS2 days, companies just developed for the best selling platform and gave the scraps to the others.

OXBOX era MS did a ton of actual buy the studio/buy the game money hatting.

They money hatted tomb raider in the ps1 days, tomb raider 64 was cancelled as a result

I don't think anything Sony's planing for TGS (if there's any) will change Vita fate for this holiday season. If games are announced at TGS, the earliest they will be shipped is next year.

I'm not sure that Tomb Raider was moneyhat. It was afterall released on Saturn first, and the PC release came at the same date as the PS1 version.

The tomb raider moneyhat came after the first one was released (on ps1 and Saturn)and was successful the n64 version was going to be a late port, as for the PC release it was money hatted as a PlayStation console exclusive, PC didn't matter

test_account

XP-39C²
The tomb raider moneyhat came after the first one was released (on ps1 and Saturn)and was successful the n64 version was going to be a late port, as for the PC release it was money hatted as a PlayStation console exclusive, PC didn't matter
Sorry, i thought you ment the first game. There was a deal being made later on, that is true. Tomb Raider 2 is the best selling Tomb Raider game if i'm not mistaken, so it was a great business move.

would've been so interesting to see Diva f performance if there wasn't a PS3 version looming

Isn't the "Diva f PS3 version" just DLC for the PS3 version of the last PSP game?

Can someone remind me why there is no Monster Hunter for the PSV?

Nintendo's moneyhatted the franchise since Tri, more or less. That and I'd wager they can get away with recycling the PSP engine on the 3DS.

Top Bottom