• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2015 (Aug 31 - Sep 06)

test_account

XP-39C²
A pretty solid (no pun intenteded :p) start for Metal Gear Solid 5. I expect some decline in overall LTD, but the LTD might not be as bad as some of the other big franchises we've seen dropped in this generation.

That full Famicom Remix title is amazing. I especially love the inclusion of Mike Tyson lol
I wonder if there were any licensing issues for this in Japan. From what i know, the Mr. Dream version never came out for Famicom, no?

still less... famitsu mgs4 numbers are 476,334 compared to mgs5 which are 472,893 (ps3+4)
475,129 in total (Xbox One version included) :)

Bruno MB

Code:
01./00. [3DS] Super Robot Wars BX <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.08.20} (¥7.171) - 98.184 / NEW <80-100%> 
09./01. [3DS] Super Robot Wars BX <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.08.20} (¥7.171) - 12.695 / 110.879 <80-100%> (-87%)
19./09. [3DS] Super Robot Wars BX <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.08.20} (¥7.171) - 2.539 / 113.418 <80-100%> (-80%)

I don't remember seeing two consecutive +80% drop for any game unless it is facing severe supply issues or the word of mouth is very toxic. I don't know if that's the case for Super Robot Wars BX.

Even the extremely toxic Tales of Zestiria didn't drop by 80% in its third week, although it was very close (-74%).

test_account

XP-39C²
Are there any estimates for the digital versions of MGSV?
No estimates, but we know that the absolute minimum is around 2650 going by the japanese PS Store (only those who have bought it could have ranked it). In reality, its higher because a lot of people dont bother raking, but thats the number that we know for sure.

crinale

No estimates, but we know that the absolute minimum is around 2650 going by the japanese PS Store (only those who have bought it could have ranked it). In reality, its higher because a lot of people dont bother raking, but thats the number that we know for sure.

If that's the case I'm guessing 10-20K.

Code:
01./00. [3DS] Super Robot Wars BX <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.08.20} (¥7.171) - 98.184 / NEW <80-100%> 
09./01. [3DS] Super Robot Wars BX <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.08.20} (¥7.171) - 12.695 / 110.879 <80-100%> (-87%)
19./09. [3DS] Super Robot Wars BX <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.08.20} (¥7.171) - 2.539 / 113.418 <80-100%> (-80%)

I don't remember seeing two consecutive +80% drop for any game unless it is facing severe supply issues or the word of mouth is very toxic. I don't know if that's the case for Super Robot Wars BX.

Even the extremely toxic Tales of Zestiria didn't drop by 80% in its third week, although it was very close (-74%).

Doesn't the "80-100%" means the percentage of stock sold? Then it may be supply.

Porcile

Even looking at sw, MGSV still sold incredibly well.

Maybe, but considering the natural increase in budget MGSV would have received compared to MGS4, not having any user growth to accommodate that increase might negate the strength of the amount of units sold. Sometimes numbers don't really add up. I don't know though, since i'm not a Konami accountant.

Why do ppl keep bringing up the two platforms thing?

I could understand if it was x1 and ps4 being the two platforms (outside of Japan) , but ps3 and ps4... Obviously, alot of those users have upgraded from ps3. Are u expecting them to buy a ps3 and ps4 copy?

Maybe, but considering the natural increase in budget MGSV would have received compared to MGS4, not having any user growth to accommodate that increase might negate the strength of the amount of units sold. Sometimes numbers don't really add up. I don't know though, since i'm not a Konami accountant.

Well then Japan is the wrong place to look at. West is where the gains could be made (In UK at least MGSV opened higher than MGSIV).

BadWolf

Outside of Japan is where the series sells the most and the more open world aspect of MGSV is definitely aimed at that audience.

I'm sure Konami is happy with consistent Japanese numbers considering how dead ppl think console gaming is in Japan.

crinale

Well then Japan is the wrong place to look at. West is where the gains could be made (In UK at least MGSV opened higher than MGSIV).

Yeah in the end Japanese market will be like tenth of the overall gaming market (or even less). At least Japanese devs are seriously prioritizing Western market more and more..

Userbase size doesn't really matter for games that largely appeal to a specific hardcore fanbase. You'd think this would have been clear from the past 2-3 generations of software sales.

Pretty much.

I wonder why there's a 60k difference between trackers though.

He talks for sw and you bring up hw. I don't know how this works.

Even if you look at sw, I don't know how anyone would find those numbers disappointing unless they expected it to outdo MGS4's debut by a significant margin. It's a very good debut, especially with consoles being in the state they are in Japan.

How is DQ8 doing compared to DQ7?

Code:

WOM seemed good when the game launched. I saw it had some supply problems on Amazon last week.

Didn't mgs do 160k ish in the UK and people are calling the JP opening disappointing.

UK openings for MGS:

[Week 36, 2015] METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (KONAMI) - 169,880 / NEW
[Week 24, 2008] METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS (KONAMI) - 110,000 / NEW
[Week 09, 2005] METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER (KONAMI) - 86,000 / NEW
[Week 10, 2002] METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY (KONAMI) - 124,000 / NEW
[Week 08, 1999] METAL GEAR SOLID (KONAMI) - <100,000 / NEW

You have to have perspective.

GunBR

It sold almost the same that MGS 4 opening. With the current console-market in Japan, this is a great opening

And great news that the PS4 sold way better than the PS3. Japan is finally making the transition, after DQ Heroes and Yakuza 0 selling more on the PS3

small44

thats because i put the (-) in, but in total this game released with the biggest possible Playstation Base ever in Japan.

If ps4 and ps3 didn't have the same audience it would be disappointing that MGS5 sold less then then MGS4

Alo0oy

Banned

Well, if you include digital sales, it's extremely likely that TPP did better than 4.

This is actually one of the few franchises that showed growth, not decline, on next gen.

Top Bottom