• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2013 (Sep 23 - Sep 29)

Why do they have to choose? Why can't people get both in the biggest shopping period of the year? Remember the trinity from 2011? MH3G, MK7 and 3D Land.

Japanese usually buy only one gift for a present to one person, at least that how my gf family does. We have 2 girls and 1 boy and each one of them get only one present. The boy will get a 3DS game for sure this year because that's the only thing he has but he will get only one game.

Also if you look at the sale of the "Trinity" in 2011 holiday season. Only MK7 and M3DL had an equal bump but not MH3G.

Sakura

Enhanced port? DMC HD, SoTC Hd can be considered an enhanced port. This is more like a remake.
They didn't remake the game so how is it a remake? Applying new lighting techniques or new shaders or whatever doesn't constitute remaking a game in my opinion.

Fisico

IIRC the last three episodes with that ending were only released on DVD and not aired.

It doesn't change the fact that it was the true ending for the anime, they did the same thing with the first season and the second season was a direct follow-up to those three episodes, moreover it was aired for free on Nico Nico.
If you bother watching an anime after midnight with a shitton of ads during the airing, I think you would be aware that there are three more episodes releasing after for free.

It is more like an enhanced port with updated visuals. I mean it doesn't even have any new content and there are no major tweaks to the mechanics/presentation.

I would put it in line with KH 1.5. Theres more effort put into the visuals than a simple HD collection and there have been numerous tweaks in gameplay and even some new features.

How did Oreimo do better than Wind Waker? I don't feel so good.

Zelda ain't moe.

AniHawk

sen no kiseki did really really well. gave the vita a bit of a boost, but not a big one. same deal with zelda and wii u. that may have more to do with console zelda not being much of a thing over there anymore. 750k on the gamecube in 2002 was the best it's done since ocarina of time.

at this rate, the wii u will probably see 2014 as its last hurrah. i can't think of anything in a post smash bros world that would help the system sell more than 20k a month. if that continues, i wonder if that'll force nintendo to make something of their own vita tv type console next gen. i bet they'll be watching that puppy with great interest.

Japanese usually buy only one gift for a present to one person, at least that how my gf family does. We have 2 girls and 1 boy and each one of them get only one present. The boy will get a 3DS game for sure this year because that's the only thing he has but he will get only one game.

Also if you look at the sale of the "Trinity" in 2011 holiday season. Only MK7 and M3DL had an equal bump but not MH3G.

3G was released right in the holiday period though, so there wasn't really a 'bump' to be had so to speak, just that the drop was softened (though it's hard to say as there were initially stock issues iirc). Anyway I'll be shocked if MH4 doesn't get a holiday bump. Most software with legs almost always benefit from the Christmas bump, but we'll see, I guess.

I would put it in line with KH 1.5. Theres more effort put into the visuals than a simple HD collection and there have been numerous tweaks in gameplay and even some new features.
Yeah, but I still think those are just criteria for 'enhanced port'. Remakes are usually a much bigger overhaul, like the FFIII/IV DS, Dragon Quest remakes, Resident Evil remake, etc. WWHD is more in line with PS3 Tales ports with extra content and say, Persona 4G.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The thing is Nintendo got away with this with the Wii until I would say 2008. If they weren't able to secure a consistent lineup after the Wii sales in 2006/2007, there is no way they will be able to do it with the Wii U

Honestly I think this is the strongest argument against the Wii U have a significant recovery.

Even the Wii couldn't sustain despite astronomically huge first party titles and what at the time was an incredibly novel concept that really resonated with consumers.

Can the system improve from 5-6K? Absolutely, but I don't see much of a future above the "highs" the Vita hits from time to time.

Jamix012

Vita is next

You're completely bonkers. 6 million Vitas LTD in Japan when all is said and done will be the very high end if the VitaTV creates more interest and GE2 sells 75%+ of it's copies on Vita. You're allowed to quote me on this if the thing reaches 6.1 million and if it does I'll happily buy you a Vita game of value $30 or less. Mind you this'll be in like 3-4 years.

Fisico

Yeah, but I still think those are just criteria for 'enhanced port'. Remakes are usually a much bigger overhaul, like the FFIII/IV DS, Dragon Quest remakes, Resident Evil remake, etc. WWHD is more in line with PS3 Tales ports with extra content and say, Persona 4G.

^
Agree on this one, the word "remake" is kinda misused and it certainly doesn't apply to a game like WInd Waker HD, or we would have to create the word "superemake" to describe the games which are nearly being "remade" from scratch like the games quoted above or Tales of Destiny Remake for instance.

Code:
[B]FAMITSU HARDWARE SALES, WEEK 39, 2013 (September 23rd - September 29th):[/B]

3DS - 139,808
PS3 - 11,747
PSV - 6,436
[b]WIU - 5,560[/b]
PSP - 4,042
WII - 967
360 - 346

We're getting closer and closer to the holiday season, and Wii U sales continue to flatline. Despite games coming out for the system, the system seems stuck in a rut.

I'm worried about the Wii U tracking on a similar trajectory to 2012 Vita sales.

For comparison:

Wii U:
Sep. 09 - Sep. 15: 4,842
Sep. 16 - Sep. 22: 5,147
Sep. 23 - Sep. 29: 5,560

Vita (2012):
Sep. 10 - Sep. 16: 8,684
Sep. 17 - Sep. 23: 8,219
Sep. 24 - Sep. 30: 12,939

Oct. 01 - Oct. 07: 8,118
Oct. 08 - Oct. 14: 7,028
Oct. 15 - Oct. 21: 7,031
Oct. 22 - Oct. 28: 6,093
Oct. 29 - Nov. 04: 5,368
Nov. 05 - Nov. 11: 4,263
Nov. 12 - Nov. 18: 12,019
Nov. 19 - Nov. 25: 9,246
Nov. 26 - Dec. 02: 9,830
Dec. 03 - Dec. 09: 10,348
Dec. 10 - Dec. 16: 13,590
Dec. 17 - Dec. 23: 19,056
Dec. 24 - Dec. 30: 18,022
Dec. 31 - Jan. 06: 31,082

I know it's pretty irrational considering the latent strength of the IPs coming out this holiday season, and you can't directly compare two vastly different ecosystems, but the window for Nintendo to convince us that Holiday 2013 will be bombastic is quickly shrinking to an impossibility.

I fear that the low sales we're experiencing now will project into relatively low holiday sales.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Code:

3DS - 139808
PS3 - 11747
PSV - 6436
[b]WIU - 5560[/b]
PSP - 4042
WII - 967
360 - 346

We're getting closer and closer to the holiday season, and Wii U sales continue to flatline. Despite games coming out for the system, the system seems stuck in a rut.

I'm worried about the Wii U tracking on a similar trajectory to 2012 Vita sales.

For comparison:

Wii U:
Sep. 23 - Sep. 29: 5.560

Vita (2012):

I know it's pretty irrational considering the latent strength of the IPs coming out this holiday season, and you can't directly compare two vastly different ecosystems, but the window for Nintendo to convince us that Holiday 2013 will be bombastic is quickly shrinking to an impossibility.

I fear that the low sales we're experiencing now will project into relative, low holiday sales.

It still needs a game to release that would actually move systems. Kart should have been ready for the holidays, at least in America.

when was the wii u price drop?

was there basically no boost from it?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...i-u-price-ahead-of-microsoft-sony-debuts.html

Nintendo Co. (7974) cut the price of its Wii U video-game console by $50 and unveiled a new handheld player as the company tries to boost sales in the months before Sony Corp. (6758) and Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) release competing machines.

The suggested price of the Wii U in the U.S. will drop to $299.99 on Sept. 20, Kyoto, Japan-based Nintendo said yesterday in a statement. The company won’t lower the console’s cost in Japan, where it sells for a suggested 30,000 yen ($307). Nintendo also introduced an entry-level 2DS portable machine going on sale Oct. 12 for $129.99.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Um, why is no one mentioning the eventual Wii U price drop/bundle? The Vita's new model are being mentioned despite it being the same price and having worse hardware (no OLED at least).

Isn't this like the first or second week of sales since the Wii U bundles were announced? I personally think that announcement killed any chance of the Wind Waker remake moving systems in Japan. The chance wasn't high to begin with though.

So for Japan, what big Wii U releases do we have?

10/31 - Wii U bundles (w/ NSMBU, Wii Party U + (bundle 2's) Wii Fit U + Karaoke trial)
11/21 - Taiko Wii U
11/21 - Super Mario 3D World
12/5 - Mario & Sonic? (what were the sales of the previous titles in Japan?)

That's about it right?

Games of much lesser significance
Rayman Legends - 10/17
Sonic: Lost World - 10/24

It seems to me that Nintendo needs a big marketing push in Japan leading up to the price drop. At least at that point, they can push the Wii U with the following:

Wii U bundles = Mario U + Wii Party U/Wii Fit U
Pikmin 3
with New Super Luigi U for $30 retail/ $20 download (maybe slash that retail price a bit) (I'm using US prices, not sure about JP's price)
Zelda WW HD
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (if people have any time b/w Monster Hunter 4 sessions...)
with Taiko, Mario 3D World, and Mario & Sonic coming soon... or something to that effect.

To a lesser extent:
Rayman Legends
Sonic Lost World
Nintendo Land

Nintendo Co. (7974) cut the price of its Wii U video-game console by $50 and unveiled a new handheld player as the company tries to boost sales in the months before Sony Corp. (6758) and Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) release competing machines.

The suggested price of the Wii U in the U.S. will drop to $299.99 on Sept. 20, Kyoto, Japan-based Nintendo said yesterday in a statement. The company won’t lower the console’s cost in Japan, where it sells for a suggested 30,000 yen ($307). Nintendo also introduced an entry-level 2DS portable machine going on sale Oct. 12 for $129.99.
What does the US/EU Wii U Price drop have to do with Japan? Japan is getting a completely different bundle this holiday.

sörine

Banned
You forget that those are retail only numbers. Vita sells quite a bit as digital sales which won't show up on the charts. Those digital sales numbers are probably the only reason they didn't abandon it.
I'm not sure how much this applies to Japan outside the 10-15% norm on any system. Do we have any evidence it's disproportionately high on Vita versus Wii U?

Nibel

Remember this quote guys?

“It is the perfect time for Zelda fans to discover Wii U. For many Zelda fans, this is the first time that they’ll discover Wind Waker and we’re treating the game as a triple-A new release. Ocarina of Time 3D performed positively on Nintendo 3DS and we’re looking to replicate this success with The Wind Waker HD.”

So much for their AAA game.

Do you actually know what AAA means

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
bidoof01 said:
Remember this quote guys?

“It is the perfect time for Zelda fans to discover Wii U. For many Zelda fans, this is the first time that they’ll discover Wind Waker and we’re treating the game as a triple-A new release. Ocarina of Time 3D performed positively on Nintendo 3DS and we’re looking to replicate this success with The Wind Waker HD.”

So much for their AAA game.

Why do people keep using that quote for the US as a response to Japan sales. Nintendo didn't even ship that many units in Japan. They probably knew it wouldn't sell too well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Do you actually know what AAA means

It means about 5 overlapping things depending on who is saying it and in what context. High quality, high profile and visibility, high budget, high sales expectations, high staff count and scope...

And I think it's fair to say that in Japan, the overall market power and relevance of Zelda has declined pretty significantly. Twilight Princess was the first sign. Skyward Sword collapsed massively from than. Maybe we're seeing another bifurcated IP that performs well enough on handhelds but not on home consoles. Who knows.

L Thammy

After all of Chris' anti-hype, Zelda's numbers were actually better than what I feared. It still seems that console Zelda is all but dead in Japan, though, and that the Wii U reaching a healthy state would be a huge surprise.

They didn't remake the game so how is it a remake? Applying new lighting techniques or new shaders or whatever doesn't constitute remaking a game in my opinion.

I said its more like one. Never said it was. However thats only because most HD collections hardly do anything noteworthy other than whats on the box.

It doesn't change the fact that it was the true ending for the anime, they did the same thing with the first season and the second season was a direct follow-up to those three episodes, moreover it was aired for free on Nico Nico.
If you bother watching an anime after midnight with a shitton of ads during the airing, I think you would be aware that there are three more episodes releasing after for free.

You are correct.

3G was released right in the holiday period though, so there wasn't really a 'bump' to be had so to speak, just that the drop was softened (though it's hard to say as there were initially stock issues iirc). Anyway I'll be shocked if MH4 doesn't get a holiday bump. Most software with legs almost always benefit from the Christmas bump, but we'll see, I guess.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I never said it was a remake. I agree with what you said though P4G is a the top end due to the amount of extra content it got.

Why do people keep using that quote for the US as a response to Japan sales. Nintendo didn't even ship that many units in Japan. They probably knew it wouldn't sell too well.
In Japan, shipments are not a function of how many units publishers think the game can sell. There are no retailer protections so they are a function of how many units they can convince retailers to buy.

A low shipment simply means low retailer confidence in the product selling, it's not necessarily reflective of publisher confidence. And even then it only managed to sell-through half that shipment.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
In Japan, shipments are not a function of how many units publishers think the game can sell. There are no retailer protections so they are a function of how many units they can convince retailers to buy.

A low shipment simply means low retailer confidence in the product selling, it's not necessarily reflective of publisher confidence. And even then it only managed to sell-through half that shipment.

Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification.

Well either way my other points about the Wii U bundle and the quote from another region being used for Japan still stand.

How well did GE and GE Burst do on psp? I'm trying to figure out how much it could help vita but I can only find the banned sites numbers.

Into

04./00. [PS3] Devil May Cry HD Collection <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.03.22} (¥4.990) - 43.791 / NEW
08./00. [PSV] Metal Gear Solid HD Edition <ADV> (Konami) {2012.06.28} (¥4.980) - 23.586 / NEW

How did MGS HD PS3 do? GoW? Apologise if its been posted have not read the entire thread

Reckon FFX HD will destroy all the entire HD club, especially in Japan.

PusherT

Nintendo needs new and fresh ideas, if the Wii U going to catch on it won't be from established franchises it will be something new and creative. After Smash and Kart releases next year Nintendo should be getting to work on new IP and encourage 3rd parties in Japan to do the same. Nintendo better find that "smash hit" before Sony and MS finds it.

Busaiku

I totally expected Wind Waker HD to crash and burn. Like I said before, Zelda simply isn't popular on consoles anymore in Japan, and on a struggling system like the WiiU no one is going to care about a re-release like this. The popularity of the Zelda series in Japan these days is entirely on portables.

I don't understand why it's popular on handhelds now, other than handhelds being more popular than they were 10 years ago.
The Legend of Zelda doesn't have any multiplayer features or anything that have pushed franchises like Monster Hunter and so on there.

Maybe it is just that.
Even though Wii was popular, Twilight Princess was released before it really took off, and Skyward Sword was released when people had already abandoned it.

Nintendo needs new and fresh ideas, if the Wii U going to catch on it won't be from established franchises it will be something new and creative. After Smash and Kart releases next year Nintendo should be getting to work on new IP and encourage 3rd parties in Japan to do the same. Nintendo better find that "smash hit" before Sony and MS finds it.

They should have had new IPs etc. for the launch of the system.

There is literally no excuse -- the Wii was left dead in the water for YEARS prior to the Wii U's launch. That made sense with regards to the expectation that developers were working on Wii U titles. Now it makes 0 sense. I still have yet to see an answer from Nintendo on this.

L Thammy

That's not the way it works. But otherwise, I think this is also something worth nothing. Nintendo pushed a lot of new stuff in last gen (Wii ____, Touch Generations) which also did a great job of justifying the system. This gen they're relying more on established franchises on both 3DS and Wii U.

PusherT

They should have had new IPs etc. for the launch of the system.

There is literally no excuse -- the Wii was left dead in the water for YEARS prior to the Wii U's launch. That made sense with regards to the expectation that developers were working on Wii U titles. Now it makes 0 sense. I still have yet to see an answer from Nintendo on this.
Nintendo had to get there core franchises out to build that foundation with there Core Nintendo fans (20million) itis obvious that Nintendo has to make a play after they get there core settled in. Problem is a lot of Nintendo core aren't jumping in fast enough, delaying Nintendo real battle the battle with PS4 and Xbox one over who gets the "Hit FAD game" of the generation. Next generation is starting and its a race to see who gets that game first, so far Sony and MS are going for hardcore gamers first leaving the much more creative Nintendo an opportunity to get that next Candy Crush,Angry Birds, Wii Fit etc. Sony and MS aren't as talented as Nintendo in this area and probably wait for Nintendo to do hard work and copy from them again.

Yanikun

Banned
I think people are being a bit too dramatic too quickly with the Wii U. Some of you make it sound like Nintendo had planned hit after hit then those shockingly bombed.

First of all, NSMBU was still a launch game. Its performance was very likely to be stifled by an initially low install base. I'm pretty sure the game would have sold considerably more had it been released on a much higher base. As it is, it had a very solid performance in my opinion.

Second, since before the Wii U even launched and when I thought it was well-positioned to be pretty successful, I still knew right away those first-year games were rubbish from a commercial standpoint. Game and Wario? lol. Pikmin 3? C'mon. Wonderful 101? A new, unproven core IP as one of the first relevant releases on the system? Please. A Zelda Wind Waker HD remake? We're not talking about a mind-blowing proposition here, the original game was already on a home console and already looked good because it successfully circumvented the system's limitations with its cartoony look, so, yeah, remaking it in HD is nice an all, but not something that could, again, thrive as one of the first relevant releases on the system.

So that whole first-year line up was a terrible strategy commercially. But now there's actual good, solid stuff to come. When you look at the upcoming games, SM3DW, DKCTF, MK8, Yoshi, and Smash Bros. are all much bigger than those first-year games combined. Besides, I think the Nintendo brand is stronger after the Wii and the DS than it was after the N64 and the Game Boy. So I will certainly believe in a Wii U revival before a Vita one, and I will be absolutely shocked if the GameCube outsells the Wii U in the end, both in Japan and worldwide. Low numbers, but I don't believe it will end up being their worst-selling home console.

As for the Vita, it's clear now that the thing can sell niche games very, very well, but that that audience is in big part already there. Have we even ever seen young systems selling under 10k and have a new release selling 90k in the same week? Despite even being also on another system with a bigger userbase?

That's why I scratched my head at all the six-digit predictions for October in last week's thread. The Vita is strong with niche titles, but Sony has never come up with a phenomenon of their own to make them relevant in the handheld space, so it's strictly a niche handheld. It won't get a turn-around, in my opinion. People aren't all waiting for the Vita revision just because they so badly want to save 1000 yen to grab a bag of candy at the theater, or for those new colors. The Vita hardware design has never been the Vita's main problem, and it already has different colors in Japan, so whatever impact that Vita 2000 has, it won't be anything mind-blowing. It will only boost sales in the short term, I would say.

As expected MH sales dropped from MHP3rd to MH4.

Why do you pretend that stock shortages, digital availability on release, not launching during the holiday season but instead having it coming in the next few weeks, and lower install base at the time of release have nothing to do with 3rd currently outpacing it? MH4 will look less "disappointing" in six months compared to 3rd than it does currently.

Kid Ying

Code:

3DS - 139,808
PS3 - 11,747
PSV - 6,436
[b]WIU - 5,560[/b]
PSP - 4,042
WII - 967
360 - 346

For comparison:

Wii U:
Sep. 23 - Sep. 29: 5,560

Vita (2012):

I fear that the low sales we're experiencing now will project into relative, low holiday sales.
I don't think it's the same situation. Wiiu will get a couple of big games on the holidays and will have a bigger appeal to the kids, which is a huge portion of the market on the holidays and end of the year. Maybe the new bundles make some people on the fence buy the system also. Sony systems never had holidays as big as Nintendo in the last years, after all.

UNCMark

Banned
Vita back to bomb levels along with Wii U. Wow. Not displeased at all to see WWHD bomb. That lazy approach to game development shouldn't be rewarded.

PusherT

That's not the way it works. But otherwise, I think this is also something worth nothing. Nintendo pushed a lot of new stuff in last gen (Wii ____, Touch Generations) which also did a great job of justifying the system. This gen they're relying more on established franchises on both 3DS and Wii U.
got to get that core 20 million Nintendo fan base on it, so 3rd parties are happy and Nintendo get a foundation. But make no mistake Japan,Europe and North America can be one this coming generation. Nintendo better get all there great developers going and create that out of the blue surprise hit "the game" there is always a few games each generation that are game changers. MS may have one in Titanfall but that is limited to the west. Nintendo out of the big 3 is very good at creating true killer apps

Pokemon on Gameboy
Mario 64/LoZ OoT on N64
Animal crossing on N64
Wii motion controls, Wii sports, Wii Fit creating the fitness craze
brain age on NDS
nintendogs on DS

Nintendo has done it in the past, but they have to let there in house developers be free to try new things.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
got to get that core 20 million Nintendo fan base on it, so 3rd parties are happy and Nintendo get a foundation. But make no mistake Japan,Europe and North America can be one this coming generation. Nintendo better get all there great developers going and create that out of the blue surprise hit "the game" there is always a few games each generation that are game changers. MS may have one in Titanfall but that is limited to the west. Nintendo out of the big 3 is very good at creating true killer apps

Pokemon on Gameboy
Mario 64/LoZ OoT on N64
Animal crossing on N64
Wii motion controls, Wii sports, Wii Fit creating the fitness craze
brain age on NDS
nintendogs on DS

Nintendo has done it in the past, but they have to let there in house developers be free to try new things.

For animal crossing, are you talking about in Japan? Because it was only on the GameCube in NA.

PusherT

For animal crossing, are you talking about in Japan? Because it was only on the GameCube in NA.
yeah when it was created onN64 in Japan. It was new everything that Nintendo has had real sucesse came out of new fresh ideas and trying new things. Only because he is Mario can sell well each release.

and I will be absolutely shocked if the GameCube outsells the Wii U in the end, both in Japan and worldwide

It won't be Japan where the huge decline takes place. The Wii U is massively behind the Gamecube WW right now and once Nintendo's so called big hitters are out the system will collapse again with nothing else to prop it up. Unless Nintendo manages to find some support, we''ll be looking at a perpetual cycle of boosts with big games and then abysmal numbers the rest of the time and some bumps for holidays thrown in

NeonZ

Maybe it is just that.
Even though Wii was popular, Twilight Princess was released before it really took off, and Skyward Sword was released when people had already abandoned it.

Twilight Princess only showed a decline in sales in Japan though, not worldwide, where it even beat the original release of OoT eventually.

Twilight Princess only showed a decline in sales in Japan though, not worldwide, where it even beat the original release of OoT eventually.

Did it? OoT did about 7.6 million. I thought TP barely squeaked past 7m (combined with GC version)?

jeremy1456

I think when all is said and done the Vita and Wii U won't surpass six million.

I can see the Wii u coming out slightly ahead because, unlike the Vita, the Wii U has AAA exclusives announced for the platform.

L Thammy

With regards to "that one game"s. I think time plays a factor in determining whether or not more support will result from that. Wii received a reputation for shovelware minigame collections, but Wii Sports was little more than a minigame collection. These games are probably released much more quickly, allowing them to quickly cash in on Wii Sports' success.

With Monster Hunter, people play the games for a very long time and Capcom released them fairly frequently. So even though similar games take a large amount of time to release, you can be reasonably sure that that there will be an audience that has recently played a Monster Hunter game and is waiting for something new.

Andriasang seems to be completely gone now, but I seem to recall that Senran Kagura went from zero to complete in a very short period of time. I suspect that those sort of skeevy moe games often have that trait, so if they prove to be successful somewhere than others can quickly flood in.

Top Bottom