• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2012 (Oct 08 - Oct 14)

zashga

Good to see Bravely Default selling well, but I wish it was higher. Actually, my real wish is for it to be sold (at all) in North America.

You think the 3DS will do better in December then it did last year?

This year it has:

Cheap Monster Hunter 3G
Paper Mario
Animal Crossing
NSMB2
Pokemon Dungeon
and a much better library overall.

It should be able to outsell the 1.4M it sold between Dec 5 and Jan 1 last year, I think.

I would say that core focused new IPs have performed pretty awfully in modern Japan.

I mean, we're talking up how great a 140K debut it for a new IP, but it is ultimately still a 140K debut.
To be fair this wasn't a huge push by S-E, from what I understand. I'm sure this title would be considered a success initially anyway( its longterm sales should clear things up). Especially when a similar title under the FF moniker sold less. I couldn't see S-E expecting more from a new ip on the 3DS when a similar title released on a more succesful system with brand recognition.

Hobby

- Amazon.co.jp opened a Pokemon Store for Pokemon related merchandise.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/pokemon

- Inazuma Eleven 123 on 3DS delayed: 11/15 -> 11/29.
http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2012/10/18/60640.html

- Updated MonHan sales as of the end of June 2012:
- P3rd: 4.7 million
- P2nd G: 3.3 million
- P2nd: 2.4 million
- Portable: 1.3 million

DU4iE.jpg

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/hit/

I think the problem with the PS3 one was the fact the DS one harmed the image of the game and on top of that there just was not enough marketing done for the game period. Real damned shame. The smart move would have been holding off on the DS and releasing it the same time as the PS3 version. By far that would have been the safest route of action. Could have gotten folks buying both, just to have the book while playing the PS3 version.
The probkem with NNK PS3 was that it was a release without an audience. It really is simple as that. If anything salted the Earth for it, it was probably WKC1-2.

Had they done what you suggested, and go for simultaneous release, story would've had to be cut (PS3) or added (DS), and the PS3 version likely also would've required (and bundled) the Magic Master. Honestly, the smart move would've been to just kill the PS3 version entirely in retrospect, or move it to PSP.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The probkem with NNK PS3 was that it was a release without an audience. It really is simple as that. If anything salted the Earth for it, it was probably WKC1-2.

Had they done what you suggested, and go for simultaneous release, story would've had to be cut (PS3) or added (DS), and the PS3 version likely also would've required (and bundled) the Magic Master. Honestly, the smart move would've been to just kill the PS3 version entirely in retrospect, or move it to PSP.

You obviously have not played the PS3 version have you? That amount of content in that game dwarfs most other rpgs these days.

It most def was a marketing problem from Level5 and lack of support on Sonys behalf too would be included.

It really should be one of the games held high for the platform as one of the flagship titles here in Japan due to the overall quality of it. That and it had the Studio Ghibli brand behind it with design. They really could have done a lot more with all of the content the game has within it to make some pretty good promotional materials / drum up interest in the title.

You obviously have not played the PS3 version have you? That amount of content in that game dwarfs most other rpgs these days.

It most def was a marketing problem from Level5 and lack of support on Sonys behalf too would be included.

It really should be one of the games held high for the platform as one of the flagship titles here in Japan due to the overall quality of it. That and it had the Studio Ghibli brand behind it with design. They really could have done a lot more with all of the content the game has within it to make some pretty good promotional materials / drum up interest in the title.
This is a sales thread. It's great that you like Ninokuni, but I doubt more investment on Level 5's end would done much to change the PS3 version's fortunes.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
This is a sales thread. It's great that you like Ninokuni, but I doubt more investment on Level 5's end would done much to change the PS3 version's fortunes.

A bit hard to talk about sales and business if one doenst know jack about the product itself. Since "speaking the obvious here" the content of said product and understanding what its all about and has to offer is the main ammunition for the marketing and sales teams within the business side of any company.

You might speak that no userbase existed, which is why its up to the marketing department to create one. Dont do that and of course your product isnt going to sell well. Unless you like trying to roll the dice on word of mouth.

With the amount of $$$ that went into production which shows from the product itself, its really surprising from a business standpoint that not more of an effort was put forth to actually try and sell the product.

The whole point behind releasing both at the same time is to assure that one does not pull down the other. The whole bit with how the DS version also went into the bargin bin (due to overstocking most likely) did not help the image of the brand with the PS3 version which released after. That and with both releases at the same time you will have those who buy both just because. Esp with the DS version being packaged with the book, which is also used in the PS3 version.

A bit hard to talk about sales and business if one doenst know jack about the product itself. Since "speaking the obvious here" the content of said product and understanding what its all about and has to offer is the main ammunition for the marketing and sales teams within the business side of any company.

You might speak that no userbase existed, which is why its up to the marketing department to create one. Dont do that and of course your product isnt going to sell well. Unless you like trying to roll the dice on word of mouth.

With the amount of $$$ that went into production which shows from the product itself, its really surprising from a business standpoint that not more of an effort was put forth to actually try and sell the product.

The whole point behind releasing both at the same time is to assure that one does not pull down the other. The whole bit with how the DS version also went into the bargin bin (due to overstocking most likely) did not help the image of the brand with the PS3 version which released after. That and with both releases at the same time you will have those who buy both just because. Esp with the DS version being packaged with the book, which is also used in the PS3 version.
Was NNK PS3 under promoted? It seems to have gotten plenty of Famitsu coverage and even a PS3 bundle, but maybe someone more knowledgable could expound more on just how much promotion it had otherwise?

Delaying the DS version to holiday 2011 likely would've been detrimental to the overall project sales, and a book bundled PS3 version could be problematic too. And I'm not really even sure how to respond to the idea Level-5 should've built a sizable PS3 audience for this game from scratch? Seriously?

I think 3DS will have a better November than last year, as it only had 3D Land and next month is packed. December will probably be down YoY though, there's nothing to match the impact of MK7 and MH3G.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Despite the roaring success of the 3DS, handheld market really isn't up that much over last year, less than 10%. Hardware revenue is likely up much higher than units though

Will start doing this every week again, think it's going to be really interesting to see how things shape up not only in the last 10 weeks, but the first couple months of next year.(will just add 2013 into this data, giving us three years to look at.)

PSP(2011 YTD)= 1,582,719
PSP+PSV(2012)=1,206,361(-23.8%)

Looking ahead to Week 42, PSP did 22,095 in 2011.

3DS+DS(2011 YTD)=2,671,762
3DS+DS(2012 YTD)=3,467,870(+29.8%)

Looking ahead to week 42, 3DS+DS did 77,267 in 2011.

All handhelds(2011 YTD)=4,254,481
All handhelds(2012 YTD)=4,674,231 (+9.9%)

Do you have datas also for the home segment? It would be interesting to compare it YoY in order to understand the global Japanes market health. Especially with the incoming Wii U launch.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think the problem with the PS3 one was the fact the DS one harmed the image of the game and on top of that there just was not enough marketing done for the game period. Real damned shame. The smart move would have been holding off on the DS and releasing it the same time as the PS3 version. By far that would have been the safest route of action. Could have gotten folks buying both, just to have the book while playing the PS3 version.

Sorry, but I disagree.

[NDS] Ninokuni:Shikkoku no Madoushi (Level 5) - 177.249 / 569.443 / 31,13% 09/12/10

I know that there were discounts on the DS title that was overshipped with the initial shipment, but it was also a title more expensive than normal ones, due to the book.
That said, it sold just 31% of its LTD at debut, with good legs for a RPG game. This means that there were no such used copies on the market and not so bad word of mouth. So, I don't think that the DS game, that continued sell for several weeks with good numbers, harmed the image of the game.
I simply think that the demographic wasn't on PS3, or was just a small part of the PS3 audience, especially considering how many copies L5 already sold on the console with the vast majority of that demographic already on board.

vareon

The same day as Layton vs. AA? Level 5 has such a crowded line-up on 3DS this holiday, Layton vs. AA should have some breathing room to perform its best. :\

What. Do they not want their games to sell or something? Or a completely different audience?

Level-5 doing something stupid is par for the course. The IE Collection should've launched in the summer or something.

And in Europe, this Christmas. Would have been pretty close to IE2, but they have to get the DS games out of the way and make the most of it.

It would kind of make sense to release LBX and Inazuma games near December because of the new crossover movie which opens on 12/1. Instead LBX W launches today in Japan, with the Inazuma drop scheduled for next month alongside Fantasy Life and Layton Vs. Ace Attorney.

Oh didn't know there was a cross over movie, guess that pretty much seals it for a 3ds version of w coming sooner rather than later

Takao

Banned
Oh didn't know there was a cross over movie, guess that pretty much seals it for a 3ds version of w coming sooner rather than later

I don't know how the existence of a cross over movie seals anything. The film was announced prior to the 3DS port of LBX being released. The two have done mini-crossovers in the past as well. They air back to back on TV Tokyo and have little handoff segments to the other show.

That said, there's definitely going to be an LBX W Boost on 3DS, lol.

He must be referring to Fifa13 Vita. It's a multi-platform game so I'm guessing he feels all systems will get a boost?

edit: Fifa 13 won't be on 3DS. It will be releasing for PS3,360, Vita, and PSP

Today LBX W and Kiseki Evolution launched on Vita. Neither will sell any large number because they're both PSP up ports, but that's still better than literally nothing being released for the platform.

I don't know how the existence of a cross over movie seals anything. The film was announced prior to the 3DS port of LBX being released. The two have done mini-crossovers in the past as well. They air back to back on TV Tokyo and have little handoff segments to the other show.

That said, there's definitely going to be an LBX W Boost on 3DS, lol.

Today LBX W and Kiseki Evolution launched on Vita. Neither will sell any large number because they're both PSP up ports, but that's still better than literally nothing being released for the platform.

When it comes to spurring hardware sales PSP up ports might as well be literally nothing

I'd also be surprised if the 2 games managed 30k between them

Takao

Banned
When it comes to spurring hardware sales PSP up ports might as well be literally nothing

Eh, I think Vita would be going better if all of this years major PSP releases were PSP/Vita. The thing wouldn't be selling 60k a week or anything but keeping a constant array of new content is certainly a lot better than what Vita's got right now.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

I'd also be surprised if the 2 games managed 30k between them

Zero no Kiseki will do that alone. It's not a direct port since the PSP version came out ages ago, this a new version with voice acting in a story heavy RPG series.

Eh, I think Vita would be going marginally better if all of this years major PSP releases were PSP/Vita. The thing wouldn't be selling 60k a week or anything but keeping a constant array of content is certainly a lot better than what Vita's got right now.

Possibly true but it wouldn't do much and the occasional up port ain't doing anything

Zero no Kiseki will do that alone. It's not a direct port since the PSP version came out ages ago, this a new version with voice acting in a story heavy RPG series.

I know Amazon ain't exactly the best way to judge but the limited edition is currently at number 85 and the regular ain't even in the top 100, for a game that released today that is terrible

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I know Amazon ain't exactly the best way to judge but the limited edition is currently at number 85 and the regular ain't even in the top 100, for a game that released today that is terrible

Where was Ys when it came out?

Oersted

Vita's lowest ever week overshadowing Wii's? 4.5k seems very low, not sure if it's been below that before?

Imagine how many Wiis sold overall in Japan. Vita will never reach such heights. The successor of the Wii is one month away.

Try to compare that.

squall23

And I just checked that Inazuma Eleven Strikers 2012 Extreme for Wii is dated 12/20.
Don't you mean IE Go Strikers 2013? Which if we go by Level 5 standards will have a new updated version 6 or so months after that costs full price.
And in Europe, this Christmas. Would have been pretty close to IE2, but they have to get the DS games out of the way and make the most of it.
I do believe that Level 5 isn't entirely at fault here but also Nintendo as well considering they're the publishers in Europe and decided to release the translations so late in the DS's lifetime. Not that it really matters considering IE is beyond popular in Spain and Italy right now. Their anime dubs get great special treatment. France and Germany are also faring pretty good if what people say is true. lol UK.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Don't you mean IE Go Strikers 2013? Which if we go by Level 5 standards will have a new updated version 6 or so months after that costs full price.

I do believe that Level 5 isn't entirely at fault here but also Nintendo as well considering they're the publishers in Europe and decided to release the translations so late in the DS's lifetime. Not that it really matters considering IE is beyond popular in Spain and Italy right now. Their anime dubs get great special treatment.

I really hope they'll publish IE3 (Ogre?) in PAL both for DS and 3DS, exploiting the re-work done for the Japanese collection

Top Bottom