• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2013 (Nov 25 - Dec 01)

RalchAC

Pardon the double post, but I have some more sales news to share:

Falcom has reported that total sales of Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky has surpassed 500,000 copies. Unfortunately they don't seem to mention if this is a global number shared across the PC, PS3 and PSP versions or just what they've done in Japan.*

*Only the PSP version has left Japan.

That means Trailes in the Sky FC, right? Not the whole trilogy.

And the PS3 version was like a HD collection, right? Three games in one disc.

Takao

Banned
That means Trailes in the Sky FC, right? Not the whole trilogy.

And the PS3 version was like a HD collection, right? Three games in one disc.

Yes, that 500k is just for First Chapter. I believe the PS3 releases only contained one game.

Shengar

Let's add more Puzzle & Dragons Z craziness. Currently sold out on Amazon.jp before its release.

Edit: ok, never mind. In stock again while i was posting this lol

Edit 2: Sold out again.

Can we expect the same for Kancolle too?
I swear that browser game is like Touhou 2.0 or something

Sakura

Can someone explain to me what Puzzle and Dragon Z is and why it might be a big hit?

Puzzle and Dragon is a very very popular F2P smartphone game in Japan. Puzzle and Dragon Z is a 3DS release, that is a full fledged RPG version of the game (I believe) so it's expected to sell well.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Now that I think about it, yes, P&DZ is a JRPG. It's since 2010 that we don't see an RPG not named FF / Pokémon / DQ selling one million, right?

Edited again for better specification :lol

Shengar

Now that I think about it, yes, P&DZ is a JRPG. It's since 2010 that we don't see an RPG not named FF / Pokémon selling one million, right?

Right, but if PDZ will be huge success with consistent sales, I think it will revitalize monster collecting game, not JRPG.

wrowa

I thought everyone here claimed that GT IP is more western now?

It's not even debatable that GT's biggest market isn't Japan. It's all about Europe.

However, it kinda got lost between the next gen hype. I was really confused when it started to pop up on the store shelves. I had no clue it was already due to release.

Thorgal

GT 6 seems like a game that had the hype deflated as soon as the new consoles where coming worldwide
combine that with the racing genre being on a downward spiral in japan and it lackluster launch sales are not exactly surprising.

I would not see this as a sign that Gt is no longer the monster franchise that it is .

RalchAC

Yes, that 500k is just for First Chapter. I believe the PS3 releases only contained one game.

No, they were released on PS3 individually as part of the PSP remaster program they announced with MHP3HD.

Thanks, I didn't know that :)

Right, but if PDZ will be huge success with consistent sales, I think it will revitalize monster collecting game, not JRPG.

I think after it's success more smartphone developers will port their F2P games to the 3DS (or the Vita, to a lesser extend). Wait until fucking Candy Crush Saga starts sending you 5 streetpasses a day like it does in Facebook now xD.

The next huge JRPG million seller, game of all time, GAF servers killer will be Persona 5 (well, at least when you include overseas sales it'll sell a million...)

And I'll import the US version since Atlus hates EU. Give it to meeee!

It's not even debatable that GT's biggest market isn't Japan. It's all about Europe.

However, it kinda got lost between the next gen hype. I was really confused when it started to pop up on the store shelves. I had no clue it was already due to release.

GT 6 seems like a game that had the hype deflated as soon as the new consoles where coming worldwide
combine that with the racing genre being on a downward spiral in japan and it lackluster launch sales are not exactly surprising.

I would not see this as a sign that Gt is no longer the monster franchise that it is .

OT but The real tragedy for Sony/PD here is the potential sales they could have gained from next-gen PS4 owners itching for a solid driving experience if the game had been a cross gen one. Especially since DriveClub (which was supposed to fill up that racing gap) got delayed until 2014.

One thing you can't fault MS for is the fact that they had a much more wider range of gaming genres covered for their 1st party/exclusive launch lineup, irrespective of their actual review scores/quality. Sony seems to be really lacking in that department at the moment, for all their bluster that it's all about the games on the PS4. They're really coasting on 3rd party launch titles at the moment. (Yes, I know it's on the way, but they'll counted as the second wave of software).

Racing? Forza 5. Fighting? Killer Instinct. Graphical showcase? Ryse. Rail Shooter? Crimson Dragon. Open world? Dead Rising 3.

QaaQer

OT but The real tragedy for Sony/PD here is the potential sales they could have gained from next-gen PS4 owners itching for a solid driving experience if the game had been a cross gen one. Especially since DriveClub (which was supposed to fill up that racing gap) got delayed until 2014.

One thing you can't fault MS for is the fact that they had a much more wider range of gaming genres covered for their 1st party/exclusive launch lineup, irrespective of their actual review scores/quality. Sony seems to be really lacking in that department at the moment, for all their bluster that it's all about the games on the PS4. They're really coasting on 3rd party launch titles at the moment. (Yes, I know it's on the way, but they'll counted as the second wave of software).

Racing? Forza 5. Fighting? Killer Instinct. Graphical showcase? Ryse. Rail Shooter? Crimson Dragon. Open world? Dead Rising 3.

they really could have nailed it if it wasn't for the greed.

TheZjman

Banned

I Work in GAME and i forgot it was coming out last week, lol.

Reading through the last few pages and i'm really glad Luigi's Mansion 2 has sold so incredibly well. It's so well deserved.

Looking forward to numbers today! Mainly to see how the Wii U has done after it's random 7k bump last week.

I do wonder what its LTD will be and if the next GT will see an increase in sales in Japan specifically. Its crazy to see how much its declined in Japan.

I do wonder what its LTD will be and if the next GT will see an increase in sales in Japan specifically. Its crazy to see how much its declined in Japan.

Worldwide you can safely bet it will do 5-6 milions as i think last update to GT4 shipments was in 2010 or 2011 ? So cheap editions and bundles will carry it for next years.

duckroll

Not that crazy when you look at the racing genre in general. Ridge Racer has also been cratered. When there's nothing interesting being released across the entire genre for years, it's not surprising that an entire fanbase could lose interest in the genre.

Nibel

Are there GT6-PS3 bundles available in Japan similar to this one

CSWJZH7.jpg

(ignore TLoU) ? Or is it being sold separately?

Celine

...Right, I should have specified not legacy brands like FF and Pokémon, sorry XD
Very few not DQ/FF/Pokemon RPG sold more than 1 million in Japan.
Inazuma Eleven 2, a few Squaresoft stuff on GB/SNES/PS1 (Chrono, Mana, SaGa, Mario RPG) and that's it I think.

EDIT:
Oh and KH2.

casiopao

LTD? I could definitely see it. First week? Maybe not.

If they reach 1 mil, do u think we had chances to see more popular mobile games port to 3DS in proper game form?

And also, I had question here. What other mobile games which is crazily popular now in Japan? I know some Bahamut game is crazily popular and this puzzledora is also ver popular. But is there other franchise which originally started on mobile but become crazily famous?

urfe

The Wii U area is always busy when I check out a gaming section.

And that anecdotal evidence tells is that the Wii U will do great!

BowieZ

Banned
The Wii U area is always busy when I check out a gaming section.

And that anecdotal evidence tells is that the Wii U will do great!

Based on the frequency of 3DS-related avatars in this post being 1, I predict 3DS sales of 134,291.

gogogow

I suspect GT 7 PS4 is being fast tracked actually. I fully believe that report saying that we could see it as early as next year.

So basically GT6 Definitive Edition? There's NO WAY they will have any meaningful car roster update in 12 months time for a true sequel. Even the GT6 roster update was very underwhelming after 3 years of development time. And I haven't even started about tracks, sound, driving model etc. This GT7 with barely any new content will kill the franchise even faster.

BlackJace

So basically GT6 Definitive Edition? There's NO WAY they will have any meaningful car roster update in 12 months time for a true sequel. Even the GT6 roster update was very underwhelming after 3 years of development time. And I haven't even started about tracks, sound, driving model etc.

I guess. Whether or not they actually call it "Definitive Edition", the result will probably be a small leap. It wouldn't be the first time a game is labeled as the next numerical entry in the series and only boasts minimal changes :p

I'm now expecting Gran Turismo 6: Definitive Edition (PS4) - December 2014, or something along those lines.

I expect them to release this one and then for PD to go dark for at least a year. I think there is an element of franchise fatigue with GT and with GT6 not changing a whole lot from GT5, PD would be better served getting to the root cause of their failures of late.

I would like GT7 to be made using the same model as GT3 A-Spec. Around 200 top-tier cars, all premium models built for the PS4 ground up, 20 tracks, again made for the PS4. I would also like them to share resources with Evos who have been doing great work on car modelling. It seems stupid to have two separate teams making scans and models of essentially the same cars. GT8 late in the generation with 700 all premium cars and 30-35 tracks plus challenges and other game modes. GT7 should concentrate on being the best driving simulator there is on the market, not all of the other crap.

Maybe another price drop to 16K yens ?

The capacity to cut prices should be there. The LCD Vita is a lot cheaper to manufacture than the OG one, the screen alone has a $31 saving associated, plus I expect that Toshiba have finally transitioned the SoC over to 32nm, which has another $10-12 saved from the BoM.

15k should be within reach by around Feb/March. If they have dated a lot of big titles for this period then I could easily see it happening. Remember that they are already profitable with the Vita-2000 at current pricing, so some of the price cut can come out of the gross margin if they want to hit a strategic price point like ¥14,980. I'm not sure how Japan's sales tax rise next year will hinder them though.

Mr Swine

Banned
So the only way that Vita can sell/go h2h against 3DS is a yearly price drop with lots of games during 2 months? What's stopping Nintendo for dropping the price on the 3DS to spoil Sonys fun?

Top Bottom